Re: Best Treo GPS solution... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Re: Best Treo GPS solution... - Palmtop ; It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed: > I flew to Vegas a couple weeks ago, tossed it on the windowsill of the > hotel room, it locked in within 2 minutes without any "hints" (Unlike my Isn't 2 minutes a ...

  1. Re: Best Treo GPS solution...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > I flew to Vegas a couple weeks ago, tossed it on the windowsill of the
    > hotel room, it locked in within 2 minutes without any "hints" (Unlike my

    Isn't 2 minutes a bit long? Which chipset does it use?

    > first Garmin GPS, which can only tell me where I am if I tell it where I
    > am first)

    I thought the purpose of having a GPS is for it to tell you where you
    are...

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #218.
    I will not pick up a glowing ancient artifact and shout "Its power is
    now mine!!!" Instead I will grab some tongs, transfer it to a hazardous
    materials container, and transport it back to my lab for study.

  2. Re: Best Treo GPS solution...

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> I flew to Vegas a couple weeks ago, tossed it on the windowsill of the
    >> hotel room, it locked in within 2 minutes without any "hints" (Unlike my

    >Isn't 2 minutes a bit long? Which chipset does it use?

    From within a hotel room (so clear line of sight to only about 70
    degrees x 70 degrees of sky in a completely unknown location? Not too
    bad...

    I can check the chipset later if I remember (poke me if I don't), I
    don't have the unit handy right now.

    From a warm-start to uptime at home after it already knows my
    approximate location (Within the city, for example), I usually have a 3D
    lock within 5 seconds. From a power-off state it's almost always within
    10 seconds.

    >> first Garmin GPS, which can only tell me where I am if I tell it where I
    >> am first)

    >I thought the purpose of having a GPS is for it to tell you where you
    >are...

    Yeah -- Older units took upwards of 30 minutes to figure out where you
    were without any hints. If you give them an approximate location
    (within a couple hundred KM) you could get a lock accurate to a
    reasonably small number of meters within a shorter period.

    --
    We know America is a great nation! Where else could a poor black boy
    be born in utter poverty and end up a rich white man?

  3. Re: Best Treo GPS solution...

    In message DevilsPGD
    wrote:

    >I can check the chipset later if I remember (poke me if I don't), I
    >don't have the unit handy right now.

    Here we go... Copy and pasted, hopefully I reformatted it okay...

    GPS Chip
    MTK GPS Module

    GPS Protocol
    NMEA-0183 (V3.01) - GGA, GSA,GSV, RMC(default),GLL, ZDA, VTG (optional),
    Band rate 38400 bps
    Data bit : 8, stop bit : 1(Default)

    Frequency
    L1, 1575.42MHz

    C/A Code
    1.023MHz chip rate

    Channels
    32 CH all in view tracking

    Antenna (Internal)
    Built-in patch antenna with LNA, Support External Active Antenna (MMCX
    port)

    Sensitivity
    Tracking -158 dBm

    Certification