In the market for Smartfone - but what kind? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on In the market for Smartfone - but what kind? - Palmtop ; I'm starting my research here because I've used Palm devices for several years, and currently have a TX. I need to get a new cell phone and I'd like to reduce my device luggage so I can just carry 1 ...

  1. In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    I'm starting my research here because I've used Palm devices for several
    years, and currently have a TX. I need to get a new cell phone and I'd like
    to reduce my device luggage so I can just carry 1 device and the smartphones
    today sure seem like they can accomplish that.

    Some observations/questions/concerns would be:

    Are other operating systems as good as the Palm? Better? Lots of aps like
    Palm?
    Better phones than Treos?
    What do I need to know about GCM, CDMA, and these other protocols?
    What is an "unlocked" phone? Do I get 1? Can I get 1?
    The functionality missing from Treos seems to be WiFi?
    Carrier considerations?
    Pricing opportunities?
    If Palm, which one - 650 - 680 - 700?

    Help! - What should I consider?

  2. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    It is alleged that JDS claimed:

    > I'm starting my research here because I've used Palm devices for several
    > years, and currently have a TX. I need to get a new cell phone and I'd like
    > to reduce my device luggage so I can just carry 1 device and the smartphones
    > today sure seem like they can accomplish that.

    Then you want a Treo.

    > Are other operating systems as good as the Palm? Better? Lots of aps like
    > Palm?
    > Better phones than Treos?
    > What do I need to know about GCM, CDMA, and these other protocols?

    Nothing, really. If you're happy with your current carrier, then get
    the Treo from that carrier. T-Mobile is the only one of the major
    carriers in the US that does not have one, but you can get one direct
    from Palm instead.

    > What is an "unlocked" phone? Do I get 1? Can I get 1?

    Applies to GSM only (Cingular and T-Mobile in the US). The phone can
    be used with either carrier.

    > The functionality missing from Treos seems to be WiFi?

    But OTOH, you have cellular access to data, which is more widespread
    than WiFi.

    > Carrier considerations?

    If you're happy with the carrier you're with now, then stay there.

    > Pricing opportunities?

    Renew your contract, and get a discount on the hardware. Just like any
    other cellular phone. How much may depend on the type and terms of the
    contract.

    > If Palm, which one - 650 - 680 - 700?

    Whichever one your carrier has.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for the Evil Henchman: 24. If you can't avoid being used as a
    guinea pig by the Evil Overlord, any powers you gain from the
    experiment will make it needful for the Hero to kill you at some point
    during the Heroic Struggle. Change sides and take your just revenge.

  3. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    I agree with what Jeffery says and would add the following: You want
    high speed data access in as many of the areas that you think you will
    normally be. Each carrier should be able to provide a map that shows
    where their high-speed coverage is and is not. FWIW I selected Sprint
    and the 700p and am a very happy camper.

    Doug Hoffman

  4. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    >> The functionality missing from Treos seems to be WiFi?

    > But OTOH, you have cellular access to data, which is more widespread
    > than WiFi.

    True, OTOH, in parts of the world like around Portland, Oregon, free wifi is
    common and widespread, but phone service (cellular and landline) is
    expensive and rarely works.

  5. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    In article <16dun29dpmteg0acq9q21t0ic8ch7va2u6@gordol.org>,
    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > Whichever one your carrier has.

    JDS, I do not necessarily agree with the above answer from Jeffrey.
    Depending on where and for what you plan to use your smartphone (and
    your budget), you might consider changing carriers.

    I was a Verizon customer when my Kyocera 7135 died (I admit I killed it).

    The plan I had been on with free internet access was no longer
    available. I could get email and web for an extra $50 per month. So I
    went to Sprint instead got a cheaper phone plan and got unlimited email
    and internet access for $10 per month (which when my business partner
    got one last month is now $15). Like me he got a Treo $650 because it
    was the cheapest option and did what he wanted.

    So make a list of where you plan to make calls. Ask to see a service map
    in those areas (most carriers can show areas of coverage, an important
    feature here in rural Vermont).
    Also find out where data services are available (the areas will be
    different).

    Price the phone and internet plans. Then decide about whether to stay or
    move on. For me, almost $500 per month was incentive to switch and the
    coverage worked (and has been fine).

    My son, whose business pays for his phone doesn't care about the extra
    cash. But he likes the GSM phones because of his international travel.

    Hope this helps.

    harlan

    --
    To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

  6. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that JDS claimed:
    >
    >> I'm starting my research here because I've used Palm devices for several
    >> years, and currently have a TX. I need to get a new cell phone and I'd like
    >> to reduce my device luggage so I can just carry 1 device and the smartphones
    >> today sure seem like they can accomplish that.

    > Then you want a Treo.
    >
    >> Are other operating systems as good as the Palm? Better? Lots of aps like
    >> Palm?
    >> Better phones than Treos?
    >> What do I need to know about GCM, CDMA, and these other protocols?

    > Nothing, really. If you're happy with your current carrier, then get
    > the Treo from that carrier. T-Mobile is the only one of the major
    > carriers in the US that does not have one, but you can get one direct
    > from Palm instead.
    >
    >> What is an "unlocked" phone? Do I get 1? Can I get 1?

    > Applies to GSM only (Cingular and T-Mobile in the US). The phone can
    > be used with either carrier.

    Unlocked also means that you can take any simcard from any GSM
    operator arround the world and put it in your treo, and it will
    work with the phone number in the simcard. This means you can get
    a european simcard and call cheaply while you are in europa.

    JonB

  7. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    Wow - thanks to ALL for the great feedback - that helps a lot. I do have 1
    more question just for my own clarity - since no wifi - I'll have to pay
    extra for broadband data access from any of the carriers? Over the cost of
    phone calls? If so, roughly what kinda cost should I expect?

    wrote in message
    news:1165969798.522893.119740@f1g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I agree with what Jeffery says and would add the following: You want
    > high speed data access in as many of the areas that you think you will
    > normally be. Each carrier should be able to provide a map that shows
    > where their high-speed coverage is and is not. FWIW I selected Sprint
    > and the 700p and am a very happy camper.
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

  8. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    JDS wrote:
    > Wow - thanks to ALL for the great feedback - that helps a lot. I do have 1
    > more question just for my own clarity - since no wifi - I'll have to pay
    > extra for broadband data access from any of the carriers? Over the cost of
    > phone calls? If so, roughly what kinda cost should I expect?

    You are correct. I pay $15 extra per month to Sprint for unlimited
    high-speed data access. I had to buy the 700p from them and sign a
    2-year service agreement to get that rate. A good price I think.

  9. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    In article <457ffb8b$0$15434$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "JDS" wrote:

    > Wow - thanks to ALL for the great feedback - that helps a lot. I do have 1
    > more question just for my own clarity - since no wifi - I'll have to pay
    > extra for broadband data access from any of the carriers? Over the cost of
    > phone calls? If so, roughly what kinda cost should I expect?
    >
    > wrote in message
    > news:1165969798.522893.119740@f1g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > > I agree with what Jeffery says and would add the following: You want
    > > high speed data access in as many of the areas that you think you will
    > > normally be. Each carrier should be able to provide a map that shows
    > > where their high-speed coverage is and is not. FWIW I selected Sprint
    > > and the 700p and am a very happy camper.
    > >
    > > Doug Hoffman

    JDS. Compare vendor's plans. As I posted elsewhere, I ditched Verizon
    because their $50 service did not appeal to me over Sprint's now $15 (it
    was ten dollars when I switched).

    Good luck with your research.

    To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?

  10. Re: In the market for Smartfone - but what kind?

    In article <457f0261$0$15429$88260bb3@free.teranews.com>,
    "JDS" wrote:

    > I'm starting my research here because I've used Palm devices for several
    > years, and currently have a TX. I need to get a new cell phone and I'd like
    > to reduce my device luggage so I can just carry 1 device and the smartphones
    > today sure seem like they can accomplish that.
    >
    > Some observations/questions/concerns would be:
    >
    > Are other operating systems as good as the Palm? Better? Lots of aps like
    > Palm?
    > Better phones than Treos?
    > What do I need to know about GCM, CDMA, and these other protocols?
    > What is an "unlocked" phone? Do I get 1? Can I get 1?
    > The functionality missing from Treos seems to be WiFi?
    > Carrier considerations?
    > Pricing opportunities?
    > If Palm, which one - 650 - 680 - 700?
    >
    > Help! - What should I consider?

    Bottom line: what do you need to do with the phone? What features do you
    anticipate you would actually use? Is computer compatibility a concern
    for you.

    I have a lot of colleagues who have Windows Mobile devices. They all
    tell me that their smart phones (not all the same model) crash on a
    frequent basis, 100% of them. I have a Treo 700p. It runs the Palm OS.
    Rarely do I have any problems with it. A wi-fi module is available for
    the Treos if you need it, but it already has broadband built right in if
    you are willing to pay the cost to your wireless phone provider.

    One reason I selected the Treo 700p is its compatibility with both Mac
    OS X and Windows XP. I use both and I sync my phone on average about
    three times a day with at least one of my computers.

    You might want to look at RIM Blackberry too.

    I don't think you need to know anything very technical. Just buy a phone
    that does what you need it to do. See if your job requires any specific
    device and if you can get a corporate discount.

+ Reply to Thread