PalmOS and 2GB SD cards - Palmtop

This is a discussion on PalmOS and 2GB SD cards - Palmtop ; I've just tried a 2GB SD card in my Palm Tungsten|T (that's the original T, not a T3, T5 or TX) and it hung. I had to remove the card and do a soft reset. I thought the SD standard ...

  1. PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    I've just tried a 2GB SD card in my Palm Tungsten|T (that's the
    original T, not a T3, T5 or TX) and it hung. I had to remove the card
    and do a soft reset.

    I thought the SD standard covered all card sizes up to and including
    2GB (I know 4GB and larger cards rely on extensions to the standard) so
    I was surprised by this. Is it normal? Do newer Palms support them? Is
    there a patch for the T|T?

    It's not a big deal (I was only trying it because I wanted to compare
    the 2GB card with some other cards using VFSMark) but annoying.

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

  2. Re: PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    W wiadomosci: VA.00000911.5defaae1@nospam.aaisp.org,
    Daniel James napisal:
    > I've just tried a 2GB SD card in my Palm Tungsten|T (that's the
    > original T, not a T3, T5 or TX) and it hung. I had to remove the card
    > and do a soft reset.
    >
    > I thought the SD standard covered all card sizes up to and including
    > 2GB (I know 4GB and larger cards rely on extensions to the standard)
    > so I was surprised by this. Is it normal? Do newer Palms support
    > them? Is there a patch for the T|T?

    According to this site:
    http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...m_External2001
    max SD card size for TT is 1 GB.

    --
    Pozdrawiam, Paulus
    Join US... Find THEM... http://tiny.pl/zfc

  3. Re: PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    In article news:, Paulus wrote:
    > According to this site:
    > http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...m_External2001
    > max SD card size for TT is 1 GB.

    OK, thanks for that.

    Looks like Palm made some unwarranted assumptions about the maximum
    size of a storage card when designing their FAT filesystem code.

    I suppose when the T|T came out a 2GB card would have cost many times
    the price of the device, if one was available at all ... now they're
    around 30 (US$50?) and quite commonplace.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  4. Re: PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    What's the maximum card size for a TX?

    Bliss
    Daniel James wrote:
    > In article news:, Paulus wrote:
    > > According to this site:
    > > http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...m_External2001
    > > max SD card size for TT is 1 GB.

    > OK, thanks for that.
    >
    > Looks like Palm made some unwarranted assumptions about the maximum
    > size of a storage card when designing their FAT filesystem code.
    >
    > I suppose when the T|T came out a 2GB card would have cost many times
    > the price of the device, if one was available at all ... now they're
    > around 30 (US$50?) and quite commonplace.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Daniel.

  5. Re: PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    In article <1165931914.146197.68530@16g2000cwy.googlegroups.co m>,
    "timbrel" writes:
    > What's the maximum card size for a TX?

    My TX (reports `PalmOS Garnet v5.4.9' if that matters) is quite happy with
    my two 4GB cards. I think I had to update TealMover, but that was it.
    --
    SAm.

  6. Re: PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    In article ,
    Daniel James wrote:

    > In article news:, Paulus wrote:
    > > According to this site:
    > > http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...rtKB,CASE=obj(
    > > 34080),ts=Palm_External2001
    > > max SD card size for TT is 1 GB.

    > OK, thanks for that.
    >
    > Looks like Palm made some unwarranted assumptions about the maximum
    > size of a storage card when designing their FAT filesystem code.

    What the site specs usually mean is that the device was tested with a
    1GB card and Palm can confirm that that card worked.

    It doesn't mean that a 2GB card won't work. Just that a 2GB card wasn't
    tested.

  7. Re: PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    Actually, there was a thread several months ago that concluded the max
    size SD card that can be read was 1.99GB, but 2.0 failed. Another
    message mentioned a FAT32 patch that could be applied to the OS to
    allow it to handle 2GB cards using the LifeDrive file system driver.

    Have a look at this page for some details:

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/8032/

    - Chris

    --
    (. .)
    =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

  8. Re: PalmOS and 2GB SD cards

    In article ,
    Chris McMahan wrote:

    >Actually, there was a thread several months ago that concluded the max
    >size SD card that can be read was 1.99GB, but 2.0 failed. Another
    >message mentioned a FAT32 patch that could be applied to the OS to
    >allow it to handle 2GB cards using the LifeDrive file system driver.
    >
    >Have a look at this page for some details:
    >
    >http://www.palminfocenter.com/comments/8032/

    My TX is working fine with a 4GB SD card.

    Seth

+ Reply to Thread