To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ? - Palmtop ; I am trying to keep a journal with my PALM to record what occurs or comes to my mind during the day. Please advise me on available software options as there is no information in the net when I tried ...

  1. To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ?

    I am trying to keep a journal with my PALM to record what occurs or comes to
    my mind during the day.
    Please advise me on available software options as there is no information in
    the net when I tried to search.

    Option 1
    DAYNOTEZ
    It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    software, you will not be able to access your own journals.

    Option 2
    AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    It is neat and appears like a diary.
    However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each diary
    entry.
    Worse, there is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary
    will go public.
    Also there is no way you can search for entries and the data is not really
    sortable.

    Option 3
    AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    data is not really sortable.

    Anybody here have better options to share ??

    jess

  2. Re: To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ?

    Try agendus and datebook
    "Warren W" wrote in message

    > I am trying to keep a journal with my PALM to record what occurs or comes
    > to my mind during the day.
    > Please advise me on available software options as there is no information
    > in the net when I tried to search.
    >
    > Option 1
    > DAYNOTEZ
    > It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    > However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    > software, you will not be able to access your own journals.
    >
    > Option 2
    > AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    > It is neat and appears like a diary.
    > However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each
    > diary entry.
    > Worse, there is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary
    > will go public.
    > Also there is no way you can search for entries and the data is not really
    > sortable.
    >
    > Option 3
    > AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    > You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    > Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    > data is not really sortable.
    >
    > Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >
    > jess

  3. Re: To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ?

    Thanks for suggesting Agendus

    Yet, how am I able to archive all the journals in a file which can be
    searched and which is accessible in many years' time with commonly in used
    software?

    "ziz" 撰寫於郵件新聞:vESeh.1550$KT2.629@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
    > Try agendus and datebook
    > "Warren W" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am trying to keep a journal with my PALM to record what occurs or comes
    >> to my mind during the day.
    >> Please advise me on available software options as there is no information
    >> in the net when I tried to search.
    >>
    >> Option 1
    >> DAYNOTEZ
    >> It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    >> However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    >> software, you will not be able to access your own journals.
    >>
    >> Option 2
    >> AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    >> It is neat and appears like a diary.
    >> However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each
    >> diary entry.
    >> Worse, there is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary
    >> will go public.
    >> Also there is no way you can search for entries and the data is not
    >> really sortable.
    >>
    >> Option 3
    >> AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    >> You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    >> Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    >> data is not really sortable.
    >>
    >> Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >>
    >> jess

  4. Re: To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ?

    Warren
    If you use DayNotez, you can export all your journal entries to a doc file
    which can be read by other software. I use DayNotez to record my journal
    entries, but when I want to read them I will export a date range eg. 2005,
    to a doc file which I can then read in docs to go. Much more readable than
    using daynotez itself. It would be easy to export journal entries in
    seperate doc files for date ranges or for individual categories.
    ziz
    "Warren W" wrote in message
    > Thanks for suggesting Agendus
    >
    > Yet, how am I able to archive all the journals in a file which can be
    > searched and which is accessible in many years' time with commonly in used
    > software?
    >

    > "ziz"
    > 撰寫於郵件新聞:vESeh.1550$KT2.629@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
    >> Try agendus and datebook
    >> "Warren W" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I am trying to keep a journal with my PALM to record what occurs or
    >>> comes to my mind during the day.
    >>> Please advise me on available software options as there is no
    >>> information in the net when I tried to search.
    >>>
    >>> Option 1
    >>> DAYNOTEZ
    >>> It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    >>> However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    >>> software, you will not be able to access your own journals.
    >>>
    >>> Option 2
    >>> AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    >>> It is neat and appears like a diary.
    >>> However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each
    >>> diary entry.
    >>> Worse, there is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your
    >>> diary will go public.
    >>> Also there is no way you can search for entries and the data is not
    >>> really sortable.
    >>>
    >>> Option 3
    >>> AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    >>> You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    >>> Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    >>> data is not really sortable.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >>>
    >>> jess

  5. Re: To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ?

    On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:25:46 +0800, "Warren W"
    wrote:
    >Option 1
    >DAYNOTEZ
    >It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    >However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    >software, you will not be able to access your own journals.

    DayNotez on the desktop uses Microsoft Access as its database. So,
    even if you don't have the Natara software in twenty years, you could
    still get to your journals through Microsoft Access. Additionally, you
    can export from DayNotes to a few different file formats. I export my
    journals monthly to Word XML format but you can also export to TXT,
    HTML, or CSV.

  6. Re: To keep a Journal using my PALM - options to share ?

    Re: Daynotez has no real security

    Your note started me thinking about this, and I did an eval of
    Daynotez. One thing you should be aware of - which may not be important
    to you given the other things you are evaluating:

    Daynotez has a password protection mechanism - but it provides only the
    barest level of security: it keeps the casual user from looking at your
    journal entries. The data itself is not encrypted, and if someone has
    access to your PDA, they can sync with any desktop with Daynotez
    installed, the data will be uploaded to their PC, and they can then
    access your journal without using a password.

    I don't intend to keep any inherently private data in my journal - I
    have other applications for that - but I don't necessarily want anyone
    who finds my PDA to be able to read my private thoughts. It's none of
    their business.

    So - I guess I am still looking for a Palm/Windows journal program -
    with security.

    Dan

    Warren W wrote:
    > I am trying to keep a journal with my PALM to record what occurs or comes to
    > my mind during the day.
    > Please advise me on available software options as there is no information in
    > the net when I tried to search.
    >
    > Option 1
    > DAYNOTEZ
    > It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    > However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    > software, you will not be able to access your own journals.
    >
    > Option 2
    > AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    > It is neat and appears like a diary.
    > However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each diary
    > entry.
    > Worse, there is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary
    > will go public.
    > Also there is no way you can search for entries and the data is not really
    > sortable.
    >
    > Option 3
    > AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    > You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    > Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    > data is not really sortable.
    >
    > Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >
    > jess

+ Reply to Thread