Treo 650 keeps shutting off - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 650 keeps shutting off - Palmtop ; We have 3 Treo 650's that keep shutting off (going into sleep mode) when they shouldn't be. They're all set for 3 minutes. But more often than not, they will shut off after only a few seconds (not even 30 ...

  1. Treo 650 keeps shutting off

    We have 3 Treo 650's that keep shutting off (going into sleep mode) when
    they shouldn't be. They're all set for 3 minutes. But more often than
    not, they will shut off after only a few seconds (not even 30 seconds).
    This usually happens during phone calls or while reading email. It's
    very frustrating. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Treo 650 keeps shutting off

    It is alleged that Geek claimed:

    > We have 3 Treo 650's that keep shutting off (going into sleep mode) when
    > they shouldn't be. They're all set for 3 minutes. But more often than
    > not, they will shut off after only a few seconds (not even 30 seconds).
    > This usually happens during phone calls or while reading email. It's
    > very frustrating. Any ideas?

    The screen light is supposed to turn off after a few seconds while on a
    call, it's a power saving feature. Just tap the screen (but not where
    the "hang up" or "mute" buttons are...) or press a hardkey (but not the
    red one) to turn the light back on.

    Other than that, there is a bug in the auto-off on at least some
    firmware versions of the Treo 650. Get AutoOff to deal with it:
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-704.html?AutoOff This is the
    freeware version.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The last time I gave an interview, they told me to just relax and say
    what I really felt. Ten minutes after the broadcast, I got transferred
    to an outpost so far off the star map, you couldn't find it with a
    hunting dog and a Ouija board." (Cmdr. Sinclair, B5 "Infection")

  3. Re: Treo 650 keeps shutting off

    Thanks - that's exactly what we were looking for.

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Geek claimed:
    >
    >> We have 3 Treo 650's that keep shutting off (going into sleep mode) when
    >> they shouldn't be. They're all set for 3 minutes. But more often than
    >> not, they will shut off after only a few seconds (not even 30 seconds).
    >> This usually happens during phone calls or while reading email. It's
    >> very frustrating. Any ideas?

    > The screen light is supposed to turn off after a few seconds while on a
    > call, it's a power saving feature. Just tap the screen (but not where
    > the "hang up" or "mute" buttons are...) or press a hardkey (but not the
    > red one) to turn the light back on.
    >
    > Other than that, there is a bug in the auto-off on at least some
    > firmware versions of the Treo 650. Get AutoOff to deal with it:
    > http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-704.html?AutoOff This is the
    > freeware version.

  4. Re: Treo 650 keeps shutting off

    I spoke too soon...

    That *does* work if I manually take the phone out of sleep mode. The
    phone will not go back into sleep mode for the length of time that I
    have specified in that program.

    However, if I receive a call, the phone will go into sleep mode
    approximately 10 seconds after the call hangs up, regardless of what I'm
    doing at the time. For instance, I was attempting to add the phone
    number to my contact list, and the phone just went to sleep right in the
    middle of it.

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Geek claimed:
    >
    >> We have 3 Treo 650's that keep shutting off (going into sleep mode) when
    >> they shouldn't be. They're all set for 3 minutes. But more often than
    >> not, they will shut off after only a few seconds (not even 30 seconds).
    >> This usually happens during phone calls or while reading email. It's
    >> very frustrating. Any ideas?

    > The screen light is supposed to turn off after a few seconds while on a
    > call, it's a power saving feature. Just tap the screen (but not where
    > the "hang up" or "mute" buttons are...) or press a hardkey (but not the
    > red one) to turn the light back on.
    >
    > Other than that, there is a bug in the auto-off on at least some
    > firmware versions of the Treo 650. Get AutoOff to deal with it:
    > http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-704.html?AutoOff This is the
    > freeware version.

  5. Re: Treo 650 keeps shutting off

    It is alleged that Geek claimed:

    > However, if I receive a call, the phone will go into sleep mode
    > approximately 10 seconds after the call hangs up, regardless of what I'm

    This is normal. I don't know why. I just wait for it to sleep, wait
    another second or two, then turn it back on.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #78. I
    will not tell my Legions of Terror "And he must be taken alive!" The
    command will be "And try to take him alive if it is reasonably
    practical."

+ Reply to Thread