Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1 - Palmtop ; After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at ...

  1. Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard
    before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can
    anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at a
    certain time) add-on apps that can remedy this? Thanks.

  2. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    M.H. wrote:
    > After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard
    > before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can
    > anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at a
    > certain time) add-on apps that can remedy this? Thanks.

    Just use Agenda to set a timed item repeating daily. If you want the alarm
    at, say, 6am, set the start *and* end times to 6am and the alarm to come
    zero minutes before the event. You could name the item "Wake Up!" or
    something equally inane. If you want to exclude weekends, you could set up 5
    separate items each repeating weekly. I've been doing this for years on my
    m515 (OS 4.1) so I know it works.

    --

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  3. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    In article , "M.H." wrote:
    >After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard
    >before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can
    >anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at a
    >certain time) add-on apps that can remedy this? Thanks.

    I've been using Bob's Alarm for some time now and its pretty good as are quite
    a lot of freebies out there. However at the end of the day I use the calandar
    and have a five minute alarm go off.

    Use it to wake me each day - simply put the time in with a 5 minute alarm and
    repeats for as long as you want. Only problem is if you don't want the thing
    to wake you up on the weekends you then need to go back and delete the
    repeats

  4. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    Peter D wrote:

    > Only problem is if you don't want the thing
    > to wake you up on the weekends you then need to go back and delete the
    > repeats

    No need to. Instead of making a daily repeat, you can make a weekly
    repeat and let repeat on (mark) all days except weekend.

    --
    Thomas Jensen

  5. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    In article <45727477$0$4162$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>,
    Thomas Jensen wrote:
    >Peter D wrote:
    >
    >> Only problem is if you don't want the thing
    >> to wake you up on the weekends you then need to go back and delete the
    >> repeats

    >No need to. Instead of making a daily repeat, you can make a weekly
    >repeat and let repeat on (mark) all days except weekend.

    And if you don't want to clutter up your calendar, and want to
    sometimes turn off the alarm (e.g. holidays), you can set it to be a
    floating event (at least in Datebook6 and some earlier versions). I
    use a 1-day float and just change the date on Friday to Monday (to
    skip the weekend); weekly might be easier.

    Seth

  6. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    M.H. wrote:
    > After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard
    > before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can
    > anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at a
    > certain time) add-on apps that can remedy this? Thanks.

    You might want to look at BigClock. It's small, simple, and free. It
    can display the time, and has multiple programmable alarms and timers.
    Available at www.bigclock.de--but if you have a Treo, you should look
    for the patched version 2.83t3 at
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/bigclocktreo600.shtml.

  7. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    Harold Fuchs wrote:
    > Just use Agenda to set a timed item repeating daily. If you want the alarm
    > at, say, 6am, set the start *and* end times to 6am and the alarm to come
    > zero minutes before the event. You could name the item "Wake Up!" or
    > something equally inane. If you want to exclude weekends, you could set up 5
    > separate items each repeating weekly. I've been doing this for years on my
    > m515 (OS 4.1) so I know it works.

    When you say Agenda, do you mean something other than the built-in
    Datebook? I've gotten Datebook to go off, but the alarm only makes a
    noise three times in quick succession, not enough to wake me up.

  8. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    M.H. wrote:
    > Harold Fuchs wrote:
    >> Just use Agenda to set a timed item repeating daily. If you want the
    >> alarm at, say, 6am, set the start *and* end times to 6am and the
    >> alarm to come zero minutes before the event. You could name the item
    >> "Wake Up!" or something equally inane. If you want to exclude
    >> weekends, you could set up 5 separate items each repeating weekly.
    >> I've been doing this for years on my m515 (OS 4.1) so I know it
    >> works.
    >>

    > When you say Agenda, do you mean something other than the built-in
    > Datebook? I've gotten Datebook to go off, but the alarm only makes a
    > noise three times in quick succession, not enough to wake me up.

    Yes, I mean the Agenda that came with the Palm. In its Preferences section
    you can set "Remind me" - I have 10 times and also "Play Every" - I have 5
    minutes. So the alarm (3 noises) goes off every 5 minutes for 50 minutes.

    Also, as someone else pointed out, instead of setting 5 weekly events to
    avoid weekends you can set a single event that repeats weekly on only the
    days you choose. I had forgotten that trick.

    --

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  9. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    On 3 Dec 2006 06:32:29 -0800, "eric_backus@alum.mit.edu"
    wrote:

    >M.H. wrote:
    >> After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard
    >> before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can
    >> anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at a
    >> certain time) add-on apps that can remedy this? Thanks.

    >You might want to look at BigClock. It's small, simple, and free. It
    >can display the time, and has multiple programmable alarms and timers.
    >Available at www.bigclock.de--but if you have a Treo, you should look
    >for the patched version 2.83t3 at
    >http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/bigclocktreo600.shtml.

    I'd also vote for BigClock. I use 2.83c which has a fix for 320x320
    screens on my T|E. 2.83 works fine, but leaves other application's
    screens looking "chunky" after an alarm goes off.

    See:
    http://www.geocities.com/rnlnero/Palmos.html

  10. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    I use PalmaryClock v.3.2.1 on my TX to wake me up every morning with an
    MP3 song. Not sure if it will work for OS4.1 though.

  11. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    Why Tea wrote:
    > I use PalmaryClock v.3.2.1 on my TX to wake me up every morning with an
    > MP3 song. Not sure if it will work for OS4.1 though.

    I used to use PalmaryClock on my OS4.1 device (and still do on my
    OS5.4), so it should still work. You still should verify it.

    PalmaryClock is excellent.

  12. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    eric_backus@alum.mit.edu wrote:
    > You might want to look at BigClock. It's small, simple, and free. It
    > can display the time, and has multiple programmable alarms and timers.
    > Available at www.bigclock.de--but if you have a Treo, you should look
    > for the patched version 2.83t3 at
    > http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/bigclocktreo600.shtml.

    I've tried using BigClock, and after struggling with its peculiar UI,
    I've managed to set an alarm. However, it must have only gone off once,
    as it didn't wake me up, and I saw an alarm notice when I turned my Palm
    on. I want it to go off until I manually turn it off. Is this
    possible? Thanks.

  13. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    http://www.gacel.de/bigclock/bigclock.htm might help.

    --

    Harold Fuchs
    London, England

  14. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    Harold Fuchs wrote:
    > M.H. wrote:
    >> eric_backus@alum.mit.edu wrote:
    >>> You might want to look at BigClock. It's small, simple, and free.
    >>> It can display the time, and has multiple programmable alarms and
    >>> timers. Available at www.bigclock.de--but if you have a Treo, you
    >>> should look for the patched version 2.83t3 at
    >>> http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/bigclocktreo600.shtml.

    >> I've tried using BigClock, and after struggling with its peculiar UI,
    >> I've managed to set an alarm. However, it must have only gone off
    >> once, as it didn't wake me up, and I saw an alarm notice when I
    >> turned my Palm on. I want it to go off until I manually turn it off.
    >> Is this possible? Thanks.

    > http://www.gacel.de/bigclock/bigclock.htm might help.

    Doesn't seem to help. It seems the thing isn't powerful enough to force
    stay-on before the Palm times out and falls back to sleep. I'm guessing.

  15. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    Peter D wrote:
    > I've been using Bob's Alarm for some time now and its pretty good as are quite
    > a lot of freebies out there. However at the end of the day I use the calandar
    > and have a five minute alarm go off.

    For the record, if anyone comes along later, "Bob's Alarm" has been
    renamed to "mobileCLOCK," by rMOBILE.

  16. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    Hi...
    Harold Fuchs in London is right.

    BigClock is great! I have it in my Zire 71 OS 5.2.1.
    It works well, is accurate, easy to read... and is free.

    mike
    [formoer Bostonian in Jerusalem]

    M.H. wrote:
    > After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard
    > before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can
    > anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at a
    > certain time) add-on apps that can remedy this? Thanks.

  17. Re: Looking for Alarm Clock App for OS 4.1

    Hi...
    Harold Fuchs in London is right.

    BigClock is great! I have it in a Zire 71, OS 5.2.1.
    It is accurate, easy to read and is free. Try it ;-)
    mike
    [former Bostonian in Jerusalem]

    M.H. wrote:
    > After some stumbling around, I've figured what I thought I had heard
    > before, that the Palm OS has no alarm clock (as least as of 4.1). Can
    > anyone recommend any small and simple (only need it to go off at a
    > certain time) add-on apps that can remedy this? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread