Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680... - Palmtop ; Hello. My father just bought a new Palm Treo 680 today to replace his old Tungsten C (came with Franklin Covey package). He asked me to help him to install/upgrade the new/updated software and migrate his old PDA datas to ...

  1. Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680...

    Hello.

    My father just bought a new Palm Treo 680 today to replace his old
    Tungsten C (came with Franklin Covey package). He asked me to help him
    to install/upgrade the new/updated software and migrate his old PDA
    datas to his new PDA. I don't own or use a PDA, so this is new to me.

    My father uses a Dell Optiplex Pentium 4 machine with its Windows 2000
    SP4 (all updates) and a Toshiba notebook/laptop with its Windows XP
    Media Center (2004?) SP2 (all updates). Currently, he wants to use his
    Dell machine to play with the new/updated Palm software and
    hot-synchronization (rarely used compared to his laptop/notebook with
    his old PDA). Currently both computers have the old Palm softwares
    (don't know what versions -- whatever came with the old Tungsten C),
    Franklin Covey (e.g., Planner and other goodies) that came with Tungsten
    C, USB connections for hot-synching, two different cradles for the same
    old PDA, etc.

    Is it possible/safe to still use the old Tungsten C with the newer Palm
    softwares, old Franklin Covey, etc. installed on the computers? Or will
    the software ask us to uninstall and install new from scratch (no
    overinstalls with no saved datas [includes Chinese datas from CJKOS
    which will require an upgrade)?

    Thank you in advance.
    --
    "Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
    what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
    ( )

  2. Re: Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680...

    Bumped! No replies?

    --
    "You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
    /\___/\
    ( )

  3. Re: Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680...

    In , ANTant@zimage.com writes:
    >Hello.
    >
    >My father just bought a new Palm Treo 680 today to replace his old
    >Tungsten C (came with Franklin Covey package). He asked me to help him
    >to install/upgrade the new/updated software and migrate his old PDA
    >datas to his new PDA. I don't own or use a PDA, so this is new to me.
    >
    >My father uses a Dell Optiplex Pentium 4 machine with its Windows 2000
    >SP4 (all updates) and a Toshiba notebook/laptop with its Windows XP
    >Media Center (2004?) SP2 (all updates). Currently, he wants to use his
    >Dell machine to play with the new/updated Palm software and
    >hot-synchronization (rarely used compared to his laptop/notebook with
    >his old PDA). Currently both computers have the old Palm softwares
    >(don't know what versions -- whatever came with the old Tungsten C),
    >Franklin Covey (e.g., Planner and other goodies) that came with Tungsten
    >C, USB connections for hot-synching, two different cradles for the same
    >old PDA, etc.
    >
    >Is it possible/safe to still use the old Tungsten C with the newer Palm
    >softwares, old Franklin Covey, etc. installed on the computers? Or will
    >the software ask us to uninstall and install new from scratch (no
    >overinstalls with no saved datas [includes Chinese datas from CJKOS
    >which will require an upgrade)?
    >
    >Thank you in advance.
    >--
    >"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
    >what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the
    >queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things
    >ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --ALIENS movie
    > /\___/\
    > / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
    >| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL): http://aqfl.net
    > \ _ / Please remove ANT if replying by e-mail.
    > ( )

    Did you ever get any responses to this question or did you work it out for yourself? I Have the same problem as of today and with the T|C running an older version of the Palm OS and older programs I am hesitant to try any sync. But, I would like my contacts and other data.

    Any ideas?

    --
    Best Regards,

    David
    C.M. Consultants, Inc

  4. Re: Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680...

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 15:38:25 -0600, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

    >Bumped! No replies?
    >
    >In comp.sys.palmtops.pilot ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
    >> Hello.

    >> My father just bought a new Palm Treo 680 today to replace his old
    >> Tungsten C (came with Franklin Covey package). He asked me to help him
    >> to install/upgrade the new/updated software and migrate his old PDA
    >> datas to his new PDA. I don't own or use a PDA, so this is new to me.

    >> My father uses a Dell Optiplex Pentium 4 machine with its Windows 2000
    >> SP4 (all updates) and a Toshiba notebook/laptop with its Windows XP
    >> Media Center (2004?) SP2 (all updates). Currently, he wants to use his
    >> Dell machine to play with the new/updated Palm software and
    >> hot-synchronization (rarely used compared to his laptop/notebook with
    >> his old PDA). Currently both computers have the old Palm softwares
    >> (don't know what versions -- whatever came with the old Tungsten C),
    >> Franklin Covey (e.g., Planner and other goodies) that came with Tungsten
    >> C, USB connections for hot-synching, two different cradles for the same
    >> old PDA, etc.

    >> Is it possible/safe to still use the old Tungsten C with the newer Palm
    >> softwares, old Franklin Covey, etc. installed on the computers? Or will
    >> the software ask us to uninstall and install new from scratch (no
    >> overinstalls with no saved datas [includes Chinese datas from CJKOS
    >> which will require an upgrade)?

    >> Thank you in advance.

    One reason why you may not have received any replies is that
    your question listed a large number of third-party
    applications. If we don't use those applications we can't
    give you a definitive answer. However, I was able to sync
    all the data and programs from my old Tungsten C to a new

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  5. Re: Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680...

    On 16 Dec 2006 01:59:57 GMT, davidb@nomorespam.net wrote:

    >Did you ever get any responses to this question or did you work it out for yourself? I Have the same problem as of today and with the T|C running an older version of the Palm OS and older programs I am hesitant to try any sync. But, I would like my contacts and other data.
    >
    >Any ideas?

    I synced all the data and programs that I had on a Tungsten
    C to a new T|X. That does not mean that you do not have a
    program that is incompatible with your new Palm.

    Why not setup Hotsync to sync only the data from the Palm
    applications if you are worried? Or just backup your
    current machine and do a complete Hotsync. The very worst
    that can happen is that you will need to do a hard reset and
    restore your current setup, but that is unlikely.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  6. Re: Questiosn about upgrading softwares and migrating datas from a Tungsten C to a Treo 680...

    In article <4583531d$0$16937$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
    davidb@nomorespam.net wrote:

    > Did you ever get any responses to this question or did you work it out for
    > yourself? I Have the same problem as of today and with the T|C running an
    > older version of the Palm OS and older programs I am hesitant to try any
    > sync. But, I would like my contacts and other data.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I suggest you back up your data to an SD card, using copy, before taking
    chances if you no longer trust your Hot sync.
    When I travel I back up to an SD card.

+ Reply to Thread