Serial port alternatives for HotSync (Palm III) - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Serial port alternatives for HotSync (Palm III) - Palmtop ; I have a Palm IIIx which, although old, I would like to continue using. It has the standard serial port HotSync cradle. Unfortunately my latest computer doesn't have a serial port, what (cheap!) alternative ways are there to overcome this ...

  1. Serial port alternatives for HotSync (Palm III)

    I have a Palm IIIx which, although old, I would like to continue
    using. It has the standard serial port HotSync cradle. Unfortunately
    my latest computer doesn't have a serial port, what (cheap!)
    alternative ways are there to overcome this problem?

    Possibilities that occur to me at present are:-

    Can I HotSync to a serial port on another computer on my network
    or to a port on a print server?

    Is a serial to USB converter obtainable at a reasonable price?

    Are USB cradles available?

    --
    Chris Green

  2. Re: Serial port alternatives for HotSync (Palm III)

    It is alleged that tinnews@isbd.co.uk claimed:

    > I have a Palm IIIx which, although old, I would like to continue
    > using. It has the standard serial port HotSync cradle. Unfortunately
    > my latest computer doesn't have a serial port, what (cheap!)
    > alternative ways are there to overcome this problem?
    >
    > Possibilities that occur to me at present are:-
    >
    > Can I HotSync to a serial port on another computer on my network

    Maybe. Does your version of Hotsync Manager support synching over a
    network?

    > Is a serial to USB converter obtainable at a reasonable price?

    Several such items can be found at Newegg.com. Here's one search:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

    > Are USB cradles available?

    For a Palm III? I doubt it. The Palm III's connector itself is a
    serial-port device.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Tips for the Innocent Bystander: 16. If you notice that your fellow
    reporter can type 1,024 words per minute, you should be able to tell
    that something's up.

  3. Re: Serial port alternatives for HotSync (Palm III)

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > For a Palm III? I doubt it. The Palm III's connector itself is a
    > serial-port device.

    Worth pointing out the Vx connector is also a serial port, but USB
    cradles for that exist.

+ Reply to Thread