Keeping a Journal with Palm - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Keeping a Journal with Palm - Palmtop ; I am trying to keep a journal briefly recording what occurs or comes to my mind during the day. Please advise me on available options as there is no information in the net when I tried to search. Option 1 ...

  1. Keeping a Journal with Palm

    I am trying to keep a journal briefly recording what occurs or comes to my
    mind during the day.
    Please advise me on available options as there is no information in the net
    when I tried to search.

    Option 1
    DAYNOTEZ
    It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    software, you will not be able to access your own journals.

    Option 2
    AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    It is neat and appears like a diary.
    However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each diary
    entry.
    Worse, it is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary will
    go public.
    Also there are no way you can search for entries and the data is not really
    sortable.

    Option 3
    AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    data is not really sortable.

    Anybody here have better options to share ??

    jess

  2. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    Hi,

    Warren W wrote:
    > I am trying to keep a journal briefly recording what occurs or comes to my
    > mind during the day.
    > Please advise me on available options as there is no information in the net
    > when I tried to search.

    DateBk6 allows entering a special "Journal" entry. It automatically
    creates an entry in the current day, and add a timestamp after which you
    can enter a text. It's very easy, and one of many functionalities
    available in this application.

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  3. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    > DateBk6 allows entering a special "Journal" entry.

    Agendus has a journal function.

  4. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    I am surprised nobody uses Palm to keep a journal.

    >I am trying to keep a journal briefly recording what occurs or comes to my
    >mind during the day.
    > Please advise me on available options as there is no information in the
    > net when I tried to search.
    >
    > Option 1
    > DAYNOTEZ
    > It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    > However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    > software, you will not be able to access your own journals.
    >
    > Option 2
    > AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    > It is neat and appears like a diary.
    > However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each
    > diary entry.
    > Worse, it is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary
    > will go public.
    > Also there are no way you can search for entries and the data is not
    > really sortable.
    >
    > Option 3
    > AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    > You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    > Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    > data is not really sortable.
    >
    > Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >
    > jess

  5. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:45:08 +0800, "Warren W"
    wrote:
    >DAYNOTEZ
    >It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    >However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    >software, you will not be able to access your own journals.

    I've been using DayNotez for over a year. I nearly always use the
    desktop software to make entries, although I occassionally use the
    Palm to make entries when traveling. Mostly, I use the Palm to read my
    entries.

    DayNotez on the desktop uses Microsoft Access as its database. So,
    even if you don't have the Natara software in twenty years, you could
    still get to your journals through Microsoft Access. Additionally, you
    can export from DayNotes to a few different file formats. I export my
    journals monthly to Word XML format.

  6. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    Jess - I have been looking for something as well - altho not recently -
    I guess I gave up on finding the perfect solution.

    Re: daynotez - I assume they offer a print option - for long term
    archival, wouldn't printing to create a PDF file (perhaps yearly)
    provide a longterm solution? You lose the application's features for
    searching, sorting, etc - but, heck, we may not even be using any of
    the same software, hardware, media, language, etc, 20 years from now.
    PAPER may be your best long term archival medium! Or some simple,
    computer-readable, text-only file ... so you can convert it, migrate
    it, etc.

    I have to admit this requirement had not really even made my list -
    altho I do appreciate its significance, and now have ANOTHER thing to
    look for in my "perfect diary software"!

    Dan

    Warren W wrote:
    > I am trying to keep a journal briefly recording what occurs or comes to my
    > mind during the day.
    > Please advise me on available options as there is no information in the net
    > when I tried to search.
    >
    > Option 1
    > DAYNOTEZ
    > It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    > However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez
    > software, you will not be able to access your own journals.
    >
    > Option 2
    > AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    > It is neat and appears like a diary.
    > However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each diary
    > entry.
    > Worse, it is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary will
    > go public.
    > Also there are no way you can search for entries and the data is not really
    > sortable.
    >
    > Option 3
    > AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    > You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    > Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the
    > data is not really sortable.
    >
    > Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >
    > jess

  7. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    "Warren W" wrote in message news:456d56aa$1@127.0.0.1...
    >I am trying to keep a journal briefly recording what occurs or comes to my mind
    >during the day.
    > Please advise me on available options as there is no information in the net when I
    > tried to search.
    >
    > Option 1
    > DAYNOTEZ
    > It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    > However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez software, you
    > will not be able to access your own journals.
    >
    > Option 2
    > AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    > It is neat and appears like a diary.
    > However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each diary entry.
    > Worse, it is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary will go
    > public.
    > Also there are no way you can search for entries and the data is not really
    > sortable.
    >
    > Option 3
    > AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    > You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    > Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the data is
    > not really sortable.
    >
    > Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >
    > jess

    You could also use any of the databases like Handbase to define two fields: a date
    field, and a note, and use the database as a journal.

    Adam

  8. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    "Adam Helberg" wrote in message
    news:UdZbh.5376$ql2.577@newsread3.news.pas.earthli nk.net...

    > "Warren W" wrote in message news:456d56aa$1@127.0.0.1...
    >>I am trying to keep a journal briefly recording what occurs or comes to my mind
    >>during the day.
    >> Please advise me on available options as there is no information in the net when I
    >> tried to search.
    >>
    >> Option 1
    >> DAYNOTEZ
    >> It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    >> However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara Daynotez software, you
    >> will not be able to access your own journals.
    >>
    >> Option 2
    >> AS A NOTE IN AN UNDATED CALENDAR ENTRY
    >> It is neat and appears like a diary.
    >> However, one needs to click a few times before one can access to each diary entry.
    >> Worse, it is inadequate security, so if you lost your Palm, your diary will go
    >> public.
    >> Also there are no way you can search for entries and the data is not really
    >> sortable.
    >>
    >> Option 3
    >> AS DOC FILES (via Document-to-Go / Wordsmith etc)
    >> You can accumulate in a folder in your PC all your diaries.
    >> Only problem is that there are no way you can search for entries and the data is
    >> not really sortable.
    >>
    >> Anybody here have better options to share ??
    >>
    >> jess

    > You could also use any of the databases like Handbase to define two fields: a date
    > field, and a note, and use the database as a journal.
    >
    > Adam

    The nice thing about this is you can password protect each database, and you can even
    define more than one journal for such things as travel trips, dates, work, etc.

    Adam

  9. Re: Keeping a Journal with Palm

    In article news:n7vtm2tig8c1qrtmm80it2oihuctmu1hd4@4ax.com, Slam
    wrote:
    >On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 17:45:08 +0800, "Warren W"
    > wrote:
    >>DAYNOTEZ
    >>It is excellent and has an excellent desktop.
    >>However, in 20 years' time, if you have no access to Natara
    >>Daynotez
    >>software, you will not be able to access your own journals.

    >I've been using DayNotez for over a year. I nearly always use the
    >desktop software to make entries, although I occassionally use the
    >Palm to make entries when traveling. Mostly, I use the Palm to read
    >my
    >entries.
    >
    >DayNotez on the desktop uses Microsoft Access as its database. So,
    >even if you don't have the Natara software in twenty years, you
    >could
    >still get to your journals through Microsoft Access. Additionally,
    >you
    >can export from DayNotes to a few different file formats. I export
    >my
    >journals monthly to Word XML format.

    I also use DN for my journaling needs and have been doing so for over
    4 years. As this previous post points out, there are a few options to
    ensure the journals are available for many many years.

+ Reply to Thread