GPS for TX - Palmtop

This is a discussion on GPS for TX - Palmtop ; What's the best GPS to use with a Palm TX? Seth...

  1. GPS for TX

    What's the best GPS to use with a Palm TX?

    Seth

  2. Re: GPS for TX

    sethb@panix.com (Seth Breidbart), who said:
    >What's the best GPS to use with a Palm TX?
    >
    >Seth

    "Best" would probably be a matter of opinion. I've been very very happy
    with my Globalsat BT-328

    hymie! http://www.smart.net/~hymowitz hymie@lactose.homelinux.net

  3. Re: GPS for TX

    Seth Breidbart wrote:
    > What's the best GPS to use with a Palm TX?

    I've done a bit of searching online for a GPS car system compatable
    with the Palm TX. The one I've found that looks the most attractive is
    the Seidio G4850S. At $169.95, it is significantly less expensive than
    the one advertised on the Palm website. Has anyone out there had
    experience with this Seidio unit? Here's a link:

    http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=201

  4. Re: GPS for TX

    wrote in message
    news:1164904310.026113.267040@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
    > Seth Breidbart wrote:
    >> What's the best GPS to use with a Palm TX?

    > I've done a bit of searching online for a GPS car system compatable
    > with the Palm TX. The one I've found that looks the most attractive is
    > the Seidio G4850S. At $169.95, it is significantly less expensive than
    > the one advertised on the Palm website. Has anyone out there had
    > experience with this Seidio unit? Here's a link:
    >
    > http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=201

    No maps mentioned as being included.
    " ...when coupled with navigation software, will provide 3D routing
    information to guide you on your journey with audible turn by turn
    directions."
    I believe the Palm system includes detailed mapping software.

  5. Re: GPS for TX

    Klatch wrote:
    > No maps mentioned as being included.
    > " ...when coupled with navigation software, will provide 3D routing
    > information to guide you on your journey with audible turn by turn
    > directions."
    > I believe the Palm system includes detailed mapping software.

    You're right! I didn't realize that. I found a link to software for
    $149.99 that would work with the Seidio GPS, which includes a 1GB SD
    card: http://www.semsons.com/tomnavusa.html

    Actually, now I can't find a TX compatible GPS System anywhere on the
    Palm site (I'm sure I saw it in the past) -- there's only one for the
    Treo now. I wonder if they discontinued it?

  6. Re: GPS for TX

    wrote in message
    news:1164925769.229228.9730@l12g2000cwl.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Klatch wrote:
    >> No maps mentioned as being included.
    >> " ...when coupled with navigation software, will provide 3D routing
    >> information to guide you on your journey with audible turn by turn
    >> directions."
    >> I believe the Palm system includes detailed mapping software.

    > You're right! I didn't realize that. I found a link to software for
    > $149.99 that would work with the Seidio GPS, which includes a 1GB SD
    > card: http://www.semsons.com/tomnavusa.html
    >
    > Actually, now I can't find a TX compatible GPS System anywhere on the
    > Palm site (I'm sure I saw it in the past) -- there's only one for the
    > Treo now. I wonder if they discontinued it?

    Bottom left.
    SKU 3207NA
    http://tinyurl.com/p5o29

  7. Re: GPS for TX

    "Klatch" wrote in message
    > wrote in message
    > news:1164925769.229228.9730@l12g2000cwl.googlegrou ps.com...
    >> Klatch wrote:
    >>> No maps mentioned as being included.
    >>> " ...when coupled with navigation software, will provide 3D routing
    >>> information to guide you on your journey with audible turn by turn
    >>> directions."
    >>> I believe the Palm system includes detailed mapping software.

    >> You're right! I didn't realize that. I found a link to software for
    >> $149.99 that would work with the Seidio GPS, which includes a 1GB SD
    >> card: http://www.semsons.com/tomnavusa.html
    >>
    >> Actually, now I can't find a TX compatible GPS System anywhere on the
    >> Palm site (I'm sure I saw it in the past) -- there's only one for the
    >> Treo now. I wonder if they discontinued it?
    >>

    > Bottom left.
    > SKU 3207NA
    > http://tinyurl.com/p5o29

    But I don't see it in the store section - hmmm....

  8. Re: GPS for TX

    That looks like a nice kit to get up to speed using GPS and your Palm.
    I bought a refurbished iQue 3600 on eBay and have been very surprised
    at the accuracy of the maps and navigation. Garmin uses maps from
    Mapsource. A buddy of mine has used the Tom Tom maps on an iPaq in
    Europe and he said they were extremely accurate as well.

    In the end, whether your device is Bluetooth, CF, SD or thethered, it's
    only as useful as the maps you install.

    I got a great deal on a Pharos iGPS360 Bluetooth GPS Navigator from
    CompUSA and I have used it with my laptop and Rand McNally Road Atlas
    software.

    Good luck with your search and I hope you enjoy the GPS features you
    are adding to your Palm device.

    Greg

    Klatch wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1164925769.229228.9730@l12g2000cwl.googlegrou ps.com...
    > > Klatch wrote:
    > >> No maps mentioned as being included.
    > >> " ...when coupled with navigation software, will provide 3D routing
    > >> information to guide you on your journey with audible turn by turn
    > >> directions."
    > >> I believe the Palm system includes detailed mapping software.

    > > You're right! I didn't realize that. I found a link to software for
    > > $149.99 that would work with the Seidio GPS, which includes a 1GB SD
    > > card: http://www.semsons.com/tomnavusa.html
    > >
    > > Actually, now I can't find a TX compatible GPS System anywhere on the
    > > Palm site (I'm sure I saw it in the past) -- there's only one for the
    > > Treo now. I wonder if they discontinued it?
    > >

    > Bottom left.
    > SKU 3207NA
    > http://tinyurl.com/p5o29

  9. Re: GPS for TX

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 16:29:29 -0600, mdspiro@gmail.com wrote
    (in article <1164925769.229228.9730@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.co m>):

    > You're right! I didn't realize that. I found a link to software for
    > $149.99 that would work with the Seidio GPS, which includes a 1GB SD
    > card: http://www.semsons.com/tomnavusa.html
    >
    > Actually, now I can't find a TX compatible GPS System anywhere on the
    > Palm site (I'm sure I saw it in the past) -- there's only one for the
    > Treo now. I wonder if they discontinued it?

    You may want to consider a Bluetooth unit - it will probably last beyond your
    TX, and will connect to any bluetooth compatible device (like a laptop or a
    smart cell phone).

    I have a Megellan which mated to my 515, and it's pretty much useless now.

    Of course, if you're long distance travelling there's nothing to compare with
    a unit which will charge your organizer as you travel.

  10. Re: GPS for TX

    In article news:<0001HW.C19692BC0062097EF0386530@news.giganews.com>, Verne
    Arase wrote:
    > You may want to consider a Bluetooth unit ...

    Let me ask another question, only slightly related to the first: If you
    use a PDA/Bt GPS combination, can you use it to record a track log without
    the PDA being turned on?

    I have a Garmin eMap dedicated GPS, which runs for around 8 hours
    continuously on a pair of AA batteries. I take it with me when I'm
    hillwalking and use it not only for navigation (in conjunction with a
    paper map and compass, of course) but also to record a track log of the
    actual route that I've taken.

    The eMap has the ability to display a rather rudimentary map -- mostly
    showing towns/streets, with little physical geography. I'd really like to
    have a pocketable electronic mapping solution that could display contour
    lines, etc. (these are available for Pocket PC, I haven't yet found
    anything that can run on my Tungsten).

    However, no PDA I've used in the last five years has enough battery life
    to remain on for long enough to record a track for an all-day walk. I
    don't know whether a Bluetooth GPS unit has the ability to record a track
    that can be uploaded to the PDA later. Can it?

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  11. Re: GPS for TX

    Not sure of what is the best but I use the Palm-branded GPS with my Palm TX
    which came with TomTom Navigator 5 and the PDA holder to attach to your car.
    It works fine for me.

    wrote in message
    news:1164904310.026113.267040@80g2000cwy.googlegro ups.com...
    > Seth Breidbart wrote:
    > > What's the best GPS to use with a Palm TX?

    > I've done a bit of searching online for a GPS car system compatable
    > with the Palm TX. The one I've found that looks the most attractive is
    > the Seidio G4850S. At $169.95, it is significantly less expensive than
    > the one advertised on the Palm website. Has anyone out there had
    > experience with this Seidio unit? Here's a link:
    >
    > http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=201

  12. Re: GPS for TX

    On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 05:15:56 -0600, Daniel James wrote
    (in article ):

    > Let me ask another question, only slightly related to the first: If you
    > use a PDA/Bt GPS combination, can you use it to record a track log without
    > the PDA being turned on?

    Dunno ... probably depends on the GPS unit. Mine doesn't.

    Bluetooth is simply a connection technology - like serial or USB - except
    that unlike serial or USB, you always have the right interface cable :-).

  13. Re: GPS for TX

    In article news:<0001HW.C19981BB009F8512F0305530@news.giganews.com>, Verne
    Arase wrote:
    > > Let me ask another question, only slightly related to the first:
    > >If you use a PDA/Bt GPS combination, can you use it to record a track
    > > log without the PDA being turned on?

    > Dunno ... probably depends on the GPS unit. Mine doesn't.

    It may well do, yes ... I'd like to find one that does. Thanks for that.

    > Bluetooth is simply a connection technology - like serial or USB -
    > except that unlike serial or USB, you always have the right interface
    > cable :-).

    Of course, yes, I do understand that. The point is that a GPS unit could
    be designed to be simply a GPS peripheral to be controlled entirely by the
    PDA, or it could be a self-contained GPS system lacking only buttons and a
    screen that relies on its Bluetooth connectivity (and a PDA, phone, or
    whatever) to provide an external interface. In the latter case the GPS
    unit would keep its satellite lock and would be able to record a track log
    even when the PDA was off.

    I've been unable to ascertain from the GPS makers' and vendors' websites
    which design philosophy has been used for the various units I see
    available. Given that most PDAs have such awful battery life I had hoped
    that at least some would to be of the second sort ...

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  14. Re: GPS for TX

    On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:15:56 GMT, Daniel James
    wrote:

    >Let me ask another question, only slightly related to the first: If you
    >use a PDA/Bt GPS combination, can you use it to record a track log without
    >the PDA being turned on?

    Search for "datalog bluetooth GPS" for your requirements

    eg the RoyalTek RBT 3000 Bluetooth GPS Receiver is a datalogger also,
    and can keep a track log without a PDA, which can be downloaded to a
    computer at a later stage.

    http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/royaltekrbt3000.php

    I have seen others that can keep a log, and is also compatible with
    Google Earth so that you can look at your track. Pretty nifty.

  15. Re: GPS for TX

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 20:21:18 GMT, Jason
    wrote:

    Replying to my own post...

    >Search for "datalog bluetooth GPS" for your requirements

    or "data logger bluetooth GPS"

    http://www.semsons.com/datalogger.html

  16. Re: GPS for TX

    In article news:, Jason wrote:
    > Search for "datalog bluetooth GPS" for your requirements

    Thanks. It looks like "datalog" (or "data logger") is the keyword I needed
    to know.

    > http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/royaltekrbt3000.php

    Thanks ... that and the manufacturer's site (http://www.royaltek.com) show
    pictures that apparently indicate that the device can be used with Windows
    Mobile ... do you know whether it can be used with PalmOS?

    It looks like the kind of device I've been after ... the battery life of 10
    hours per charge should be plenty ... it even seems to be available (at
    not-too-outrageous prices) here in the UK.

    Cheers,
    Daniel.

  17. Re: GPS for TX

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 04:08:03 +0000 (UTC), sethb@panix.com (Seth
    Breidbart) wrote:

    >What's the best GPS to use with a Palm TX?
    >
    >Seth

    I bought a Holux GPSlim 236 & Tom Tom Navigator 5 software from
    gpsnow.com (I have no affiliation to the site) for approx $200 and
    have been pretty happy with it (The Palm doesn't always detect the
    unit when first fired up but since it works after a reset, I believe
    this is a bug in the Palm OS). My only complaint is that some
    cack-handed idiot over-tightened one of the bolts in the windscreen
    mount thing and broke it so it won't stay in one place.

    Rich
    --
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    --Robert A. Heinlein

  18. Re: GPS for TX

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 04:46:43 GMT, Richard Thomas
    wrote:

    >I bought a Holux GPSlim 236 & Tom Tom Navigator 5 software from
    >gpsnow.com (I have no affiliation to the site) for approx $200 and

    Sorry, that should be buygpsnow.com . gpsnow.com looks like vomit.

    Rich
    --
    I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
    --Robert A. Heinlein

  19. Re: GPS for TX

    Richard Thomas wrote:
    > I bought a Holux GPSlim 236 & Tom Tom Navigator 5 software from
    > gpsnow.com (I have no affiliation to the site) for approx $200 and
    > have been pretty happy with it (The Palm doesn't always detect the
    > unit when first fired up but since it works after a reset, I believe
    > this is a bug in the Palm OS). My only complaint is that some
    > cack-handed idiot over-tightened one of the bolts in the windscreen
    > mount thing and broke it so it won't stay in one place.

    My TX always recognizes the Holux. I have the one which used to be sold by
    Palm. /PaulN

+ Reply to Thread