Replacement for LifeDrive...? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Replacement for LifeDrive...? - Palmtop ; I have had five LifeDrives, and - when they work - they're the best PDAs I've ever used. Sadly, the key phrase is, 'when they work'. My latest, a brand new LifeDrive (free from Palm, replacing another defective one) broke ...

  1. Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    I have had five LifeDrives, and - when they work - they're the best PDAs
    I've ever used.

    Sadly, the key phrase is, 'when they work'. My latest, a brand new
    LifeDrive (free from Palm, replacing another defective one) broke
    yesterday, with the (classic) refusal to turn on... while Palm are, as
    ever, friendly and prepared to repair - and probably eventually replace -
    the damn thing, I've reached the point where sending a LifeDrive for repair
    every six weeks or so is getting to me. I have bought a backup LifeDrive -
    expensive and necessary - but I'd just like a machine that works
    reliably...

    So what would the group recommend as a LifeDrive replacment? I'm using a
    4gig card, so the LD's 4gig HD is no longer essential; but is there perhaps
    a more stable Palm model I could get? Or will I just have to look somewhere
    else?

    Advice appreciated!

    - duncan

  2. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    In article ,
    d.langford@ukc.ac.uk (Duncan Langford) writes:
    > So what would the group recommend as a LifeDrive replacment? I'm using a
    > 4gig card, so the LD's 4gig HD is no longer essential; but is there perhaps
    > a more stable Palm model I could get? Or will I just have to look somewhere
    > else?

    I bought a TX in April and stuck a 1GB card in it. Then 2GB cards were
    cheaper, then 4GB cards were cheaper... ...and I've had to be careful with
    one or two applications that weren't happy with the 2GB to 4GB change, but
    it pretty much just works. I'm not sure why I'd want a Lifedrive, if I have
    a TX+4GB.
    --
    SAm.

  3. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    "Sam Nelson" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > d.langford@ukc.ac.uk (Duncan Langford) writes:
    >> So what would the group recommend as a LifeDrive replacment? I'm using a
    >> 4gig card, so the LD's 4gig HD is no longer essential; but is there
    >> perhaps
    >> a more stable Palm model I could get? Or will I just have to look
    >> somewhere
    >> else?

    > I bought a TX in April and stuck a 1GB card in it. Then 2GB cards were
    > cheaper, then 4GB cards were cheaper... ...and I've had to be careful
    > with
    > one or two applications that weren't happy with the 2GB to 4GB change, but
    > it pretty much just works. I'm not sure why I'd want a Lifedrive, if I
    > have
    > a TX+4GB.
    > --
    > SAm.

    Pretty much the same experience here. Coming up on my first year
    anniversary with my TX. Except for some old software that caused it to
    crash, I have had zero problems.

  4. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    All I can say is ME TOO. Then I bought a Treo with a 2GB SD card, and
    that's the end of my problem... one gadget instead of two.

  5. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    In message sam@ssrl.org.uk (Sam Nelson)
    wrote:

    >In article ,
    > d.langford@ukc.ac.uk (Duncan Langford) writes:
    >> So what would the group recommend as a LifeDrive replacment? I'm using a
    >> 4gig card, so the LD's 4gig HD is no longer essential; but is there perhaps
    >> a more stable Palm model I could get? Or will I just have to look somewhere
    >> else?

    >I bought a TX in April and stuck a 1GB card in it. Then 2GB cards were
    >cheaper, then 4GB cards were cheaper... ...and I've had to be careful with
    >one or two applications that weren't happy with the 2GB to 4GB change, but
    >it pretty much just works. I'm not sure why I'd want a Lifedrive, if I have
    >a TX+4GB.

    I have both a Palm T|X and a Treo 650 -- Depending on your needs, I'd
    highly recommend either or both of them.

    --
    I'm sorry sir, you can't park your van on the diving board.

  6. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    In article , "Klatch" wrote:
    >Pretty much the same experience here. Coming up on my first year
    >anniversary with my TX. Except for some old software that caused it to
    >crash, I have had zero problems.

    I updagred from HE330 to Tx. Overall, I like it. i don't have any old programs
    that cause crashes tho. also datebk5 seems more stable on Tx than HE330 which
    i use all the time.

    (oh, except the "Favorites" & Graffiti2 that drove me crazy. finally got rid
    of it & got Graffiti 1 back. whew! there're also few minor things that i
    don't care for as much.)

    bye now,

    Gee

    I hated the sunsets of whatever colour, I hated its beauty and its
    magic and the secret I would never know. I hated its indifference and
    the cruelty which was part of its loveliness.

    --- Jean Rhys, Wide Sargossa Sea

  7. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    Duncan Langford wrote:
    > I have had five LifeDrives, and - when they work - they're the best PDAs
    > I've ever used.
    >
    > Sadly, the key phrase is, 'when they work'. My latest, a brand new
    > LifeDrive (free from Palm, replacing another defective one) broke
    > yesterday, with the (classic) refusal to turn on... while Palm are, as
    > ever, friendly and prepared to repair - and probably eventually replace -
    > the damn thing, I've reached the point where sending a LifeDrive for repair
    > every six weeks or so is getting to me. I have bought a backup LifeDrive -
    > expensive and necessary - but I'd just like a machine that works
    > reliably...
    >
    > So what would the group recommend as a LifeDrive replacment? I'm using a
    > 4gig card, so the LD's 4gig HD is no longer essential; but is there perhaps
    > a more stable Palm model I could get? Or will I just have to look somewhere
    > else?
    >
    > Advice appreciated!

    Like the others, I've found the TX to be a trusty device. I think this
    is the device you want. Normally, around this time of year there are
    rumors of a new model to be released, and I'd recommend seeing what's
    new, but I'm not hearing enough credible rumors to think that there
    will be anything new this year other than the new Treo. So, grab the
    TX... it's good.

  8. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    Hi...
    Fascinating thread!
    I had this dilemma last year, and found a slightly used T3 with the
    fast & reliable OS 5.2.1.
    Truly , I love this handheld device. With MobileWrite & MiniKeyboard,
    I don't even carry an external Palm keyboard any more

    The TX IS a more modern PDA with more memory, and WiFi as well as
    Bluetooth. As was suggested here, the end of the year is near, and you
    may find a good deal on the TX. Whatever your decision, good luck and
    enjoy it!
    mike

    beachshark@gmail.com wrote:
    > Duncan Langford wrote:
    > > I have had five LifeDrives, and - when they work - they're the best PDAs
    > > I've ever used.
    > >
    > > Sadly, the key phrase is, 'when they work'. My latest, a brand new
    > > LifeDrive (free from Palm, replacing another defective one) broke
    > > yesterday, with the (classic) refusal to turn on... while Palm are, as
    > > ever, friendly and prepared to repair - and probably eventually replace -
    > > the damn thing, I've reached the point where sending a LifeDrive for repair
    > > every six weeks or so is getting to me. I have bought a backup LifeDrive -
    > > expensive and necessary - but I'd just like a machine that works
    > > reliably...
    > >
    > > So what would the group recommend as a LifeDrive replacment? I'm using a
    > > 4gig card, so the LD's 4gig HD is no longer essential; but is there perhaps
    > > a more stable Palm model I could get? Or will I just have to look somewhere
    > > else?
    > >
    > > Advice appreciated!
    > >

    > Like the others, I've found the TX to be a trusty device. I think this
    > is the device you want. Normally, around this time of year there are
    > rumors of a new model to be released, and I'd recommend seeing what's
    > new, but I'm not hearing enough credible rumors to think that there
    > will be anything new this year other than the new Treo. So, grab the
    > TX... it's good.

  9. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    hi everyone,
    i have a LifeDrive and it worked well for a few weeks also. now when i
    try to use the WIFI, it sometimes freezes, restarts, or just does
    nothing. there will be connections available but when i try to connect,
    i will get the "no Signal" message. any ideas? also is there a way to
    purge everythign and redo my set up. i cant seem to find out how its
    done.
    thanks in advance

  10. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    AbdMalik1 wrote:
    > hi everyone,
    > i have a LifeDrive and it worked well for a few weeks also. now when i
    > try to use the WIFI, it sometimes freezes, restarts, or just does
    > nothing. there will be connections available but when i try to connect,
    > i will get the "no Signal" message. any ideas? also is there a way to
    > purge everythign and redo my set up. i cant seem to find out how its
    > done.
    > thanks in advance

    Are you hotsyncing to a PC? If so, you have a backup file with the
    state of your last backup on your PC. If you do hotsync, then go to
    Program Files/Your Name to find it.

    Or, alternately, install a SD memory card in your lifedrive, and use a
    software programs such as RescoBackup to backup all of your RAM files.

    Or, you may be able to use the LifeDrives External Drive capabillity to
    copy all files to the computer, I don't know, since I've never seen or
    used this feature that is exclusive to that device.

    Whichever method you use to create an up-to-date backup apart from you
    device, do it, and then do a hard reset. You'll need to confirm that
    this is how it's done on a LifeDrive, but on most Palm devices you
    insert a pointed object (such as your stylus tip) into a recessed
    button on the backside of your device while simultaneously holding down
    your Power button. This will delete EVERYTHING permanently from your
    device, and restore fresh copies of all of the factory-provided
    software along with the original Palm operating system that came with
    your machine before you began using it.

    Then, carefully restore the data you backup up. You can simply restore
    it all, but since you had some problems in there, I'd recommend
    installing each program, checking it out that all is fine, and then
    moving to the next one. Optionally, you can also not re-install the
    Saved Preferences and Unsaved Preference files, but instead re-enter
    your registration codes and reset all of your menu preferences for each
    program. Sometimes a faulty preference is at the root of problematic
    behavior. You can even restore all new fresh copies of your programs
    if you really want a clean, fresh start, just in case there was some
    corruption in one of them.

    In summary, make a good copy of everything, then do a hard reset,
    followed by a careful restoral.

  11. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    On Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:05:18 -0600, AbdMalik1 wrote
    (in article <1164564318.439503.80410@l12g2000cwl.googlegroups.c om>):

    > i have a LifeDrive and it worked well for a few weeks also. now when i
    > try to use the WIFI, it sometimes freezes, restarts, or just does
    > nothing. there will be connections available but when i try to connect,
    > i will get the "no Signal" message. any ideas? also is there a way to
    > purge everythign and redo my set up. i cant seem to find out how its
    > done.

    Have you put on the LifeDrive Update 2.0?

    http://www.palm.com/us/support/lifedrive/

  12. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 09:59:16 +0000, Duncan Langford wrote:

    > I have had five LifeDrives, and - when they work - they're the best PDAs
    > I've ever used.
    >
    > Sadly, the key phrase is, 'when they work'. My latest, a brand new
    > LifeDrive (free from Palm, replacing another defective one) broke
    > yesterday, with the (classic) refusal to turn on... while Palm are, as
    > ever, friendly and prepared to repair - and probably eventually replace -
    > the damn thing, I've reached the point where sending a LifeDrive for repair
    > every six weeks or so is getting to me. I have bought a backup LifeDrive -
    > expensive and necessary - but I'd just like a machine that works
    > reliably...
    >
    > So what would the group recommend as a LifeDrive replacment? I'm using a
    > 4gig card, so the LD's 4gig HD is no longer essential; but is there perhaps
    > a more stable Palm model I could get? Or will I just have to look somewhere
    > else?
    >
    > Advice appreciated!
    >
    > - duncan

    I strongly recommend a good hard case, if you aren't using one already. I
    like my Rhinoskin for my TX, for example.

    If you need something sturdy, you might consider a really old model -
    those old IIIxe's seem pretty tough. They're black & white, and only 8
    meg of memory, but they seem built like a modernized-plastic tank, and
    they have awesome battery life.

  13. Re: Replacement for LifeDrive...?

    I'm glad I found this thread.

    I bought a LifeDrive for my wife as a present,
    and it spontaneously died (white palmOne screen
    and no progress, hard reset ineffective, etc.) while
    I was setting it up for her, with the dreaded seek
    noises associated with a dead hard drive.

    I'm taking it back and getting a TX with a big SD card.
    I don't think I'm losing anything by doing so.
    --
    Dennis M. O'Connor

+ Reply to Thread