View photos on SD card/TX - Palmtop

This is a discussion on View photos on SD card/TX - Palmtop ; Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card in a TX without having to do a sync? Any and all help appreciated. -- Rick...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. View photos on SD card/TX

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    I think ya hafta synch no? Otherwise the device has no idea they are there.
    Ya can't associate the files with a program like a PC. That would be nice
    as these thing deveolp but I don't think they are there yet. m Am I correct
    in this assumption?

    "Rick" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...

    > Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card
    > in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

  3. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:54:51 +0000, GregM wrote:

    > I think ya hafta synch no? Otherwise the device has no idea they are
    > there. Ya can't associate the files with a program like a PC. That would
    > be nice as these thing deveolp but I don't think they are there yet. m Am
    > I correct in this assumption?

    I don't know. I can use a 3rd party app to play videos from my SD card,
    I'm hoping I can just copy pictures to the SD card.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:54:51 +0000, GregM wrote:
    >
    > > I think ya hafta synch no? Otherwise the device has no idea they are
    > > there. Ya can't associate the files with a program like a PC. That would
    > > be nice as these thing deveolp but I don't think they are there yet. m Am
    > > I correct in this assumption?

    > I don't know. I can use a 3rd party app to play videos from my SD card,
    > I'm hoping I can just copy pictures to the SD card.
    >

    > > "Rick" wrote in message
    > > newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card
    > >> in a TX without having to do a sync?
    > >>
    > >> Any and all help appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Rick
    > >>

    > --
    > Rick

    If you have a card reader, you can just drag the photo files directly
    onto the SD card (put them into the "DCIM" Folder). Once there, I'm
    pretty sure the Media player will see them and be able to display them.
    One advantage of using the sync to do the same thing is that it offers
    to "re-size" photos to fit the TX's display. If you copy original
    jpg's directly to the card, the files will probably be much larger.
    I'm not sure how that would affect the way they look on the TX.

  5. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 05:42:52 -0800, mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:54:51 +0000, GregM wrote:
    >>
    >> > I think ya hafta synch no? Otherwise the device has no idea they are
    >> > there. Ya can't associate the files with a program like a PC. That
    >> > would be nice as these thing deveolp but I don't think they are there
    >> > yet. m Am I correct in this assumption?

    >> I don't know. I can use a 3rd party app to play videos from my SD card,
    >> I'm hoping I can just copy pictures to the SD card.
    >>

    >> > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> > newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...

    > If you have a card reader, you can just drag the photo files directly onto
    > the SD card (put them into the "DCIM" Folder). Once there, I'm pretty
    > sure the Media player will see them and be able to display them.
    > One advantage of using the sync to do the same thing is that it offers
    > to "re-size" photos to fit the TX's display. If you copy original jpg's
    > directly to the card, the files will probably be much larger. I'm not sure
    > how that would affect the way they look on the TX.

    Thanks. I tried that before and it didn't work. I am wondering if I didn't
    do somethign wrong. I just popped the SD card from the camer into the TX,
    and the pictures showed. Then I made a folder on the TX SD card, named it
    the same as the folder on the camera's card, copied the pictures to it,
    and it shows. I guess I'll have to play with it a little.

    Thanks.

    --
    Rick

  6. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    "Rick" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.11.20.13.51.39.930646@nomail.com...
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 05:42:52 -0800, mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> I don't know. I can use a 3rd party app to play videos from my SD card,
    >>> I'm hoping I can just copy pictures to the SD card.

    >> If you have a card reader, you can just drag the photo files directly
    >> onto
    >> the SD card (put them into the "DCIM" Folder). Once there, I'm pretty
    >> sure the Media player will see them and be able to display them.
    >> One advantage of using the sync to do the same thing is that it offers
    >> to "re-size" photos to fit the TX's display. If you copy original jpg's
    >> directly to the card, the files will probably be much larger. I'm not
    >> sure
    >> how that would affect the way they look on the TX.

    > Thanks. I tried that before and it didn't work. I am wondering if I didn't
    > do somethign wrong. I just popped the SD card from the camer into the TX,
    > and the pictures showed. Then I made a folder on the TX SD card, named it
    > the same as the folder on the camera's card, copied the pictures to it,
    > and it shows. I guess I'll have to play with it a little.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

    You do need to tell the TX to look on the card - in the upper right hand
    corner of the media startup page.

  7. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:34:22 -0500, Bill Marcum wrote:

    > ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.palmtops.pilot.] On Mon, 20 Nov
    > 2006 12:26:39 GMT, Rick
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card
    >> in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >>
    >> Any and all help appreciated.
    >>

    > You just have to copy them to the "dcim" folder. On an SD card from a
    > camera, the pictures will probably already be in that folder.

    Thanks

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Rick wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card
    > in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated.

    Yes, you just have to transfer the pictures from you PC to the correct
    directory on your SD card. Using a USB2.0 SD Reader/Writer. I have one
    I purchased from Office Depot for 9.99. Thats the cheapest I have found.

    {RemoveableUSB_Drive (E:\DCIM\

    You can create Sub-directories to store pictures according to some kind
    of subject type under the DCIM directory. You know Vacation, Family,
    Friends, Video, etc...

    The only problem you will have, is that if you HotSync with the SD card
    in the TX, then all the pictures will be backed up to the PALM director
    for your TX on your PC. And that could take a 5, 10 or more minutes
    just for the pictures.

    JDa

  9. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 05:42:52 -0800, mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> I don't know. I can use a 3rd party app to play videos from my SD card,
    >>> I'm hoping I can just copy pictures to the SD card.

    >> If you have a card reader, you can just drag the photo files directly onto
    >> the SD card (put them into the "DCIM" Folder). Once there, I'm pretty
    >> sure the Media player will see them and be able to display them.
    >> One advantage of using the sync to do the same thing is that it offers
    >> to "re-size" photos to fit the TX's display. If you copy original jpg's
    >> directly to the card, the files will probably be much larger. I'm not sure
    >> how that would affect the way they look on the TX.

    > Thanks. I tried that before and it didn't work. I am wondering if I didn't
    > do somethign wrong. I just popped the SD card from the camer into the TX,
    > and the pictures showed. Then I made a folder on the TX SD card, named it
    > the same as the folder on the camera's card, copied the pictures to it,
    > and it shows. I guess I'll have to play with it a little.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Sorry Rick, it does not work that way. Most all digital camera place
    there information right at the start of the SD card. Thet place a
    directory heading that could like like __:\100010330\photo00010.jpg.
    Look in your camera manual for something that covers the file naming
    convention it uses.
    You 1st have to transfer from the camera to your PC then from the PC to
    the _:\DCIM\ directory.
    JDa

  10. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    "JDa™©" wrote in message
    news:RZn8h.13121$K9.11555@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Rick wrote:

    >>> If you have a card reader, you can just drag the photo files directly
    >>> onto
    >>> the SD card (put them into the "DCIM" Folder). Once there, I'm pretty
    >>> sure the Media player will see them and be able to display them.
    >>> One advantage of using the sync to do the same thing is that it offers
    >>> to "re-size" photos to fit the TX's display. If you copy original jpg's
    >>> directly to the card, the files will probably be much larger. I'm not
    >>> sure
    >>> how that would affect the way they look on the TX.

    >> Thanks. I tried that before and it didn't work. I am wondering if I
    >> didn't
    >> do somethign wrong. I just popped the SD card from the camer into the TX,
    >> and the pictures showed. Then I made a folder on the TX SD card, named it
    >> the same as the folder on the camera's card, copied the pictures to it,
    >> and it shows. I guess I'll have to play with it a little.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>

    > Sorry Rick, it does not work that way. Most all digital camera place
    > there information right at the start of the SD card. Thet place a
    > directory heading that could like like __:\100010330\photo00010.jpg.
    > Look in your camera manual for something that covers the file naming
    > convention it uses.
    > You 1st have to transfer from the camera to your PC then from the PC to
    > the _:\DCIM\ directory.
    > JDa

    Both my Sony and my HP digicams record images to a DCIM folder. The Sony is
    a Memory Stick, so not apples to apples, but I can pop the SD card from my
    HP into the TX and view the images without going to my PC first.

  11. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Am Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:26:39 GMT schrieb Rick:

    > Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card
    > in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated.

    just download the freeware grxview lite 1.0.3
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=125177

    with this freeware you can even have a slideshow of your jpg-pix.

    thomas
    --
    Bitte nur in der Newsgroup antworten - bitte keine Mails. Danke.
    Please do reply to the newsgroup only - no email please. Thanks.

  12. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    "Thomas Reinel" wrote in message
    > Am Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:26:39 GMT schrieb Rick:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card
    >> in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >>
    >> Any and all help appreciated.

    > just download the freeware grxview lite 1.0.3
    > http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...&prodID=125177
    >
    > with this freeware you can even have a slideshow of your jpg-pix.
    >
    > thomas
    > --
    > Bitte nur in der Newsgroup antworten - bitte keine Mails. Danke.
    > Please do reply to the newsgroup only - no email please. Thanks.

    The Core Pocket Media Player (TCPMP) is also freeware and works very well.
    I couldn't get their site to come up, but the download is available here:
    http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...t_Media_Player

  13. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Klatch wrote:
    > "JDa™©" wrote in message
    > news:RZn8h.13121$K9.11555@bignews4.bellsouth.net.. .
    >> Rick wrote:

    >>> Thanks. I tried that before and it didn't work. I am wondering if I
    >>> didn't
    >>> do somethign wrong. I just popped the SD card from the camer into theTX,
    >>> and the pictures showed. Then I made a folder on the TX SD card, named it
    >>> the same as the folder on the camera's card, copied the pictures to it,
    >>> and it shows. I guess I'll have to play with it a little.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Sorry Rick, it does not work that way. Most all digital camera place
    >> there information right at the start of the SD card. Thet place a
    >> directory heading that could like like __:\100010330\photo00010.jpg.
    >> Look in your camera manual for something that covers the file naming
    >> convention it uses.
    >> You 1st have to transfer from the camera to your PC then from the PC to
    >> the _:\DCIM\ directory.
    >> JDa

    > Both my Sony and my HP digicams record images to a DCIM folder. The Sony is
    > a Memory Stick, so not apples to apples, but I can pop the SD card frommy
    > HP into the TX and view the images without going to my PC first.

    Thats nice to know, was checking with a friend how has one of the HP
    model and he says the same.
    I wonder if its just the manufactures of PC's and cameras that do that.
    My Minolta Z6 does not. But I can plug it into the PC along with the SD
    reader/writer and transfer that way, even using the DiMage application
    picture manager. It works like Windows Explorer to allow me to do that
    transfer.

  14. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:16:04 -0500, JDa™©
    wrote:

    >Sorry Rick, it does not work that way. Most all digital camera place
    >there information right at the start of the SD card. Thet place a
    >directory heading that could like like __:\100010330\photo00010.jpg.
    >Look in your camera manual for something that covers the file naming
    >convention it uses.
    >You 1st have to transfer from the camera to your PC then from the PC to
    >the _:\DCIM\ directory.
    >JDa

    My Pentax *ist DS and Kodak DC3400 both write to the DCIM
    directory.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  15. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Victor Roberts a écrit :

    > My Pentax *ist DS and Kodak DC3400 both write to the DCIM
    > directory.
    >
    > --

    And so does my Canon... Anyway, software such as TCPMP can read images
    and videos from any folder on the SD card. I tried it successfully on my TC.

    Charly

  16. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    i don't know about you, but i can take pics on my digital camera, plop the
    SD card in and view it in the MEDIA program.

    "Rick" wrote in message
    newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...

    > Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD card
    > in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >
    > Any and all help appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > Rick

  17. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    If you have a card reader which accepts the SD card and you pop the card
    into the reader, Windows XP (assuming that's what you are running) should
    pop up a menu after a few seconds with options for what you want to do. One
    of the options will be to open the card in Windows Explorer. There will be
    other choices and there should be an option to always perform that action
    whenever you insert this kind of card.

    Ryan wrote:
    > i don't know about you, but i can take pics on my digital camera,
    > plop the SD card in and view it in the MEDIA program.
    >
    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD
    >> card in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >>
    >> Any and all help appreciated.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rick

  18. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Lefty wrote:
    > If you have a card reader which accepts the SD card and you pop the card
    > into the reader, Windows XP (assuming that's what you are running) should
    > pop up a menu after a few seconds with options for what you want to do. One
    > of the options will be to open the card in Windows Explorer. There will be
    > other choices and there should be an option to always perform that action
    > whenever you insert this kind of card.

    Of course, but I want to do this on my TX not on my PC.

    I've heard other people say that they can just tale the card out of
    their digital camera and view the photos direct on the TX.

    This doesn;t appear to work with my Canon SD card. I have to pop the
    Canon card into the reader on the PC and drag the photos into Quick
    Instal which puts them onto the card in the TX at the next hot sync.

    Why can't I view them direct from the Camera card in the field?

    Is there a filer program for the TX which allows you to view files on
    the card and load into the appropriate TX application?

    > Ryan wrote:
    >> i don't know about you, but i can take pics on my digital camera,
    >> plop the SD card in and view it in the MEDIA program.
    >>
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...
    >>> Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD
    >>> card in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >>>
    >>> Any and all help appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

  19. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    Lefty wrote:
    > If you have a card reader which accepts the SD card and you pop the card
    > into the reader, Windows XP (assuming that's what you are running) should
    > pop up a menu after a few seconds with options for what you want to do. One
    > of the options will be to open the card in Windows Explorer. There will be
    > other choices and there should be an option to always perform that action
    > whenever you insert this kind of card.

    Of course, but I want to do this on my TX not on my PC.

    I've heard other people say that they can just tale the card out of
    their digital camera and view the photos direct on the TX.

    This doesn;t appear to work with my Canon SD card. I have to pop the
    Canon card into the reader on the PC and drag the photos into Quick
    Instal which puts them onto the card in the TX at the next hot sync.

    Why can't I view them direct from the Camera card in the field?

    Is there a filer program for the TX which allows you to view files on
    the card and load into the appropriate TX application?

    > Ryan wrote:
    >> i don't know about you, but i can take pics on my digital camera,
    >> plop the SD card in and view it in the MEDIA program.
    >>
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...
    >>> Can anyone tell me if it possible to view photos/pictures on an SD
    >>> card in a TX without having to do a sync?
    >>>
    >>> Any and all help appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Rick

  20. Re: View photos on SD card/TX

    You have a TX ... use the standard PHOTO/VIDEO application, and switch to
    card
    or, if you have DocsToGo, it works as well...

    "Andrew McMullon" wrote in message
    > Lefty wrote:
    >> If you have a card reader which accepts the SD card and you pop the card
    >> into the reader, Windows XP (assuming that's what you are running) should
    >> pop up a menu after a few seconds with options for what you want to do.
    >> One of the options will be to open the card in Windows Explorer. There
    >> will be other choices and there should be an option to always perform
    >> that action whenever you insert this kind of card.

    > Of course, but I want to do this on my TX not on my PC.
    >
    > I've heard other people say that they can just tale the card out of their
    > digital camera and view the photos direct on the TX.
    >
    > This doesn;t appear to work with my Canon SD card. I have to pop the Canon
    > card into the reader on the PC and drag the photos into Quick Instal which
    > puts them onto the card in the TX at the next hot sync.
    >
    > Why can't I view them direct from the Camera card in the field?
    >
    > Is there a filer program for the TX which allows you to view files on the
    > card and load into the appropriate TX application?
    >

    >> Ryan wrote:
    >>> i don't know about you, but i can take pics on my digital camera,
    >>> plop the SD card in and view it in the MEDIA program.
    >>>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> newsan.2006.11.20.12.26.39.255864@nomail.com...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast