replacing dead handspring - Palmtop

This is a discussion on replacing dead handspring - Palmtop ; My old handspring's finally died. I'm deciding between a TX and a Lifedrive. The TX feels cheap in my hands. How delicate is the Lifedrive? Other than cost is there any reason to exclude it?...

  1. replacing dead handspring

    My old handspring's finally died. I'm deciding between
    a TX and a Lifedrive. The TX feels cheap in my hands. How delicate
    is the Lifedrive? Other than cost is there any reason to exclude it?

  2. Re: replacing dead handspring

    On 19 Nov 2006, wrat@panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote:

    > My old handspring's finally died. I'm deciding between a TX and a
    > Lifedrive. The TX feels cheap in my hands. How delicate is the
    > Lifedrive? Other than cost is there any reason to exclude it?

    This question was asked in this group every month or so. Check the
    archives.

    I had a Handspring Visor and replaced it with a TX. I don't know
    why you say the TX feels cheap, especially compared to the LD. The
    TX is smaller and lighter and fits my hand better. (Could size and
    weight give you the feel of cheapness?). I think the TX's screen is
    clearer and brighter than the LD's (though this could be due to the
    conditions under which I examined the LD). And the TX's sleek metal
    body beats the LD's rather case hands down in my aesthetic opinion
    ;-) I found the LD rather clunky, although that wasn't what made me
    chose the TX. When I bought it, both TX and LD were new, the TX was
    ~$300, the LD ~$450. I just couldn't find any particular advantage
    to the LD over the TX for that price difference. The LD's hard
    drive is cute, but for me has no great advantage over high capacity
    SD cards (which I can also use in my camera). I've posted here
    about my problems with the TX and so have others. The same goes for
    the LD. I'm not sorry I chose the TX.

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  3. Re: replacing dead handspring

    Previously the wharf rat wrote:

    > My old handspring's finally died.

    You could always get another Handspring on Ebay...

    > I'm deciding between
    > a TX and a Lifedrive. The TX feels cheap in my hands. How

    delicate
    > is the Lifedrive? Other than cost is there any reason to

    exclude it?

    Well, compared to the TX, the Lifedrive is thicker and heavier.
    May be important if you keep your Palm in your pocket.

    I've also read that the Lifedrive uses the hard drive as a RAM
    backstore, and thus there can be 'pauses' when launching apps as
    it hits the drive. But I have no first hand experience w/ the
    Lifedrive, so take this criticism with a grain of salt.

    Regards,
    Todd

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email