Updating to a TX - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Updating to a TX - Palmtop ; Hello, I had a Tungsten E2, recently upgraded to a TX. I did the following to copy everything to the new Palm: -I wiped the Palm desktop on Windows -re-installed the latest Palm desktop for the TX -Synched the E2 ...

  1. Updating to a TX

    Hello,

    I had a Tungsten E2, recently upgraded to a TX. I did the following to
    copy everything to the new Palm:

    -I wiped the Palm desktop on Windows
    -re-installed the latest Palm desktop for the TX
    -Synched the E2 to the new Palm desktop
    -Synched the TX to the desktop.

    I got all my contacts, calendar, and applications... But I appear to
    have overwritten the World Clock to the earlier version from the E2.
    How do I get the new version back? And what else should I see if I've
    overwritten?

    Thanks....

    -Les

    "NEVER use a maj7 chord in any bar that is named
    after a deceased NASCAR driver, a large-calibre
    firearm, or an intoxicated farm animal."
    -Rev. Billy C. Wirtz's Universal Chord Law

  2. Re: Updating to a TX

    Bill Marcum wrote:
    > Maybe the world clock is on the CD? Or maybe you just copied preferences
    > that make it look like the old version?

    Hmmm- could be, unfortunately I didn't receive the CD with the TX. Did
    download the software from Palm, however, so perhaps it's hidden in
    there somewhere.

    Maybe I'm being dense, but I can't see anything that would allow me to
    change the preferences in the one I have on my TX now to change it.
    I'll keep looking.

    Thanks,

    -Les

  3. Re: Updating to a TX

    The World Clock app on the TX is built in. It's located in the TX ROM.

    Apps in ROM won't be hotsynced/backed up to your desktop, just any pref
    data.

    You need something like Filez or Fileprog to copy an app from ROM to an SD
    card, or to try an beam it, but be aware that one of the attributes Palm
    has for their file system is a beam-protect attribute. I don't think you
    can change that on a ROM based file...

    -Jerry

    Les wrote:

    > Bill Marcum wrote:
    >> Maybe the world clock is on the CD? Or maybe you just copied preferences
    >> that make it look like the old version?

    > Hmmm- could be, unfortunately I didn't receive the CD with the TX. Did
    > download the software from Palm, however, so perhaps it's hidden in
    > there somewhere.
    >
    > Maybe I'm being dense, but I can't see anything that would allow me to
    > change the preferences in the one I have on my TX now to change it.
    > I'll keep looking.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Les

  4. Re: Updating to a TX

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:05:26 +0000, Jerry wrote:

    > The World Clock app on the TX is built in. It's located in the TX ROM.

    As far as I know...

    If a different version was loaded onto the RAM of the TX,then that
    different version is what would be seen.

    If there is a copy in RAM then it can be deleted to allow the ROM version
    so show up again.

    --
    Doug Herr
    doug*at*wombatz*dot*com

  5. Re: Updating to a TX

    Doug - my bad. Serves me right for reading and replying before coffee... :-)

    Les -

    First, try the delete function in the launcher. This will not delete
    ROM-based apps. If you don't see it, try using Filez. If you don't have
    Filez (freeware), go here -

    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=1&prodID=9992

    If/when you do, look at your TX's internal memory (with the ROM checkbox in
    the corner checked). The builtin World Clock is named Clock-PcLK, and will
    have an IC chip icon next to it (indicating a ROM based app). Then see if
    there's one without the ROM icon, that's your offending app (delete it!).
    If you don't see it, check the filenames down there in the W's...

    HTH,

    -Jerry

    Doug Herr wrote:

    > On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:05:26 +0000, Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> The World Clock app on the TX is built in. It's located in the TX ROM.

    > As far as I know...
    >
    > If a different version was loaded onto the RAM of the TX,then that
    > different version is what would be seen.
    >
    > If there is a copy in RAM then it can be deleted to allow the ROM version
    > so show up again.

  6. Re: Updating to a TX

    Jerry wrote:
    > If/when you do, look at your TX's internal memory (with the ROM checkbox in
    > the corner checked). The builtin World Clock is named Clock-PcLK, and will
    > have an IC chip icon next to it (indicating a ROM based app). Then see if
    > there's one without the ROM icon, that's your offending app (delete it!).
    > If you don't see it, check the filenames down there in the W's...

    Hello,

    I've given this a try. Still no luck- only ROM-based copies show up in
    FileZ, and I don't see anything obvious in the W's to get rid of.

    I may try a synch, then back up my user folder on the PC, then get rid
    of anything that I'm not positive what it is, then a hard reset and
    restore. Can't hurt too much. Mainly I'm surprised I can't find
    anything about this in support, since surely I'm not the only person
    who has this issue...

    Thanks all,

    -Les

+ Reply to Thread