Two Palms and desktop alarms - multi-user setup - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Two Palms and desktop alarms - multi-user setup - Palmtop ; I've searched all over and haven't seen any answers to this problem: We have two Palm PDAs, and both sync just fine to the Windows XP Desktop. However, when my husband logs into his own separate desktop account, all MY ...

  1. Two Palms and desktop alarms - multi-user setup

    I've searched all over and haven't seen any answers to this problem:

    We have two Palm PDAs, and both sync just fine to the Windows XP
    Desktop. However, when my husband logs into his own separate desktop
    account, all MY old alarms pop up on the screen one after another. It
    can take several minutes, because I use my Palm alarms extensively, and
    he rarely logs in under his own account.

    So: Is it possible to make it so the Palm Desktop on the other login
    ONLY sees HIS Palm user account?

    It seems unfortunate to me that Palm Desktop keeps user data in the
    Program Files folders, rather than in Windows User locations (documents
    and settings/username/application data, or some such place). I guess I
    can see that this would be desirable for multiple users syncing on one
    login. But is bad for multiple log-ins.

    I haven't been able to find anything at Palm support, either. They're
    fairly feeble.

    Thanks,
    eon

  2. Re: Two Palms and desktop alarms - multi-user setup

    I wrote:
    > I've searched all over and haven't seen any answers to this problem:
    >
    > We have two Palm PDAs, and both sync just fine to the Windows XP
    > Desktop. However, when my husband logs into his own separate desktop
    > account, all MY old alarms pop up on the screen one after another. It
    > can take several minutes, because I use my Palm alarms extensively, and
    > he rarely logs in under his own account.
    >
    > So: Is it possible to make it so the Palm Desktop on the other login
    > ONLY sees HIS Palm user account?
    >
    > It seems unfortunate to me that Palm Desktop keeps user data in the
    > Program Files folders, rather than in Windows User locations (documents
    > and settings/username/application data, or some such place). I guess I
    > can see that this would be desirable for multiple users syncing on one
    > login. But is bad for multiple log-ins.
    >
    > I haven't been able to find anything at Palm support, either. They're
    > fairly feeble.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > eon

    An addendum:
    Palm DOES say that two users may co-exist separately, IF you install
    Palm Desktop twice: into separate folders, from the separate accounts.
    However, another support document seems to say that if you delete
    PDesktop from one user account, it deletes it for all (which actually
    makes sense). So, I guess the question then would be: How to get
    PDesktop into two different install locations since it is already
    installed in the traditional way? I believe that trying to install when
    it's already there will not work.

  3. Re: Two Palms and desktop alarms - multi-user setup

    In article <1163092949.607756.154930@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>,
    L5hopes says...

    > I wrote:
    > > I've searched all over and haven't seen any answers to this problem:
    > >
    > > We have two Palm PDAs, and both sync just fine to the Windows XP
    > > Desktop. However, when my husband logs into his own separate desktop
    > > account, all MY old alarms pop up on the screen one after another. It
    > > can take several minutes, because I use my Palm alarms extensively, and
    > > he rarely logs in under his own account.
    > >
    > > So: Is it possible to make it so the Palm Desktop on the other login
    > > ONLY sees HIS Palm user account?
    > >
    > > It seems unfortunate to me that Palm Desktop keeps user data in the
    > > Program Files folders, rather than in Windows User locations (documents
    > > and settings/username/application data, or some such place). I guess I
    > > can see that this would be desirable for multiple users syncing on one
    > > login. But is bad for multiple log-ins.
    > >
    > > I haven't been able to find anything at Palm support, either. They're
    > > fairly feeble.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > eon

    > An addendum:
    > Palm DOES say that two users may co-exist separately, IF you install
    > Palm Desktop twice: into separate folders, from the separate accounts.
    > However, another support document seems to say that if you delete
    > PDesktop from one user account, it deletes it for all (which actually
    > makes sense). So, I guess the question then would be: How to get
    > PDesktop into two different install locations since it is already
    > installed in the traditional way? I believe that trying to install when
    > it's already there will not work.

    In the Palm Desktop program, goto menu Tools, select Options, in the
    Alarm tab, configure it to the way you want. Disable totally, enable
    only when Palm Desktop is open, no Dialog box, no alarm etc.

    ( 8(|)

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  4. Re: Two Palms and desktop alarms - multi-user setup

    In article <1163092949.607756.154930@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.c om>,
    L5hopes says...

    > I wrote:
    > > I've searched all over and haven't seen any answers to this problem:
    > >
    > > We have two Palm PDAs, and both sync just fine to the Windows XP
    > > Desktop. However, when my husband logs into his own separate desktop
    > > account, all MY old alarms pop up on the screen one after another. It
    > > can take several minutes, because I use my Palm alarms extensively, and
    > > he rarely logs in under his own account.
    > >
    > > So: Is it possible to make it so the Palm Desktop on the other login
    > > ONLY sees HIS Palm user account?
    > >
    > > It seems unfortunate to me that Palm Desktop keeps user data in the
    > > Program Files folders, rather than in Windows User locations (documents
    > > and settings/username/application data, or some such place). I guess I
    > > can see that this would be desirable for multiple users syncing on one
    > > login. But is bad for multiple log-ins.
    > >
    > > I haven't been able to find anything at Palm support, either. They're
    > > fairly feeble.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > eon

    > An addendum:
    > Palm DOES say that two users may co-exist separately, IF you install
    > Palm Desktop twice: into separate folders, from the separate accounts.
    > However, another support document seems to say that if you delete
    > PDesktop from one user account, it deletes it for all (which actually
    > makes sense). So, I guess the question then would be: How to get
    > PDesktop into two different install locations since it is already
    > installed in the traditional way? I believe that trying to install when
    > it's already there will not work.

    Synchronize with
    multiple handhelds or with multiple desktop computers.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  5. Re: Two Palms and desktop alarms - multi-user setup

    L5hopes wrote:
    > I've searched all over and haven't seen any answers to this problem:
    >
    > We have two Palm PDAs, and both sync just fine to the Windows XP
    > Desktop. However, when my husband logs into his own separate desktop
    > account, all MY old alarms pop up on the screen one after another. It
    > can take several minutes, because I use my Palm alarms extensively, and
    > he rarely logs in under his own account.
    >
    > So: Is it possible to make it so the Palm Desktop on the other login
    > ONLY sees HIS Palm user account?
    >
    > It seems unfortunate to me that Palm Desktop keeps user data in the
    > Program Files folders, rather than in Windows User locations (documents
    > and settings/username/application data, or some such place). I guess I
    > can see that this would be desirable for multiple users syncing on one
    > login. But is bad for multiple log-ins.
    >
    > I haven't been able to find anything at Palm support, either. They're
    > fairly feeble.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > eon

    In my experience the following works (assuming that you have one PC, two
    accounts - both administrative rights- on that PC, and two Palm devices)

    - - Log in as User1 on the PC
    - - Install Palm desktop in the default location
    - - Modify the location of the Data Directory (Tools->Options, General
    tab) to somewhere in "My Documents", e.g. "C:\Documents and
    Settings\User1\My Documents\Palm"
    - - Hotsync with Device1
    - - Log off user1
    - - Log on user2
    - - Install Palm desktop (again) in the default location
    - - Modify the location of the Data Directory (Tools->Options, General
    tab) to somewhere in "My Documents", e.g. "C:\Documents and
    Settings\User2\My Documents\Palm"
    - - Hotsync with Device2

    Two things are not supported (according to the Palm KB) in this set up:

    - - Installing twice in the same location, Palm says the location must be
    different (but it works for me)
    - - Fast User Switching between User1 and User2. Palm says the devices may
    not sync (but it works for me)

    Rob

+ Reply to Thread