Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN? - Palmtop ; I don't have a Palm VIIx yet, but I was wondering if I could use one on my WLAN network? These things are dirt cheap. I'm also open to other cheap PDAs with WiFi as well. -- Bill...

  1. Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    --
    Bill

  2. Re: Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:04:13 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

    > I don't have a Palm VIIx yet, but I was wondering if I could use one on
    > my WLAN network? These things are dirt cheap. I'm also open to other
    > cheap PDAs with WiFi as well.

    They're not Wi-Fi. They're dependent upon the MobiTex network and upon
    Palm.Net service plans that were discontinued in 2004 as Treos took off and
    carriers started offering better data plans. They're dirt cheap for a
    reason.

    They are, essentially, oversized Palm IIIs with a foldout handle.

    The same goes for the 705, which was the last version offered by Palm.
    --
    Derek

    "One of the most obvious facts about grownups to a child is that they have
    forgotten what it is like to be a child." -- Randall Jarrell

  3. Re: Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    "Derek" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:04:13 -0600, BillW50 wrote:
    >
    >> I don't have a Palm VIIx yet, but I was wondering if I could use one
    >> on my WLAN network? These things are dirt cheap. I'm also open to
    >> other cheap PDAs with WiFi as well.

    > They're not Wi-Fi. They're dependent upon the MobiTex network and upon
    > Palm.Net service plans that were discontinued in 2004 as Treos took
    > off and carriers started offering better data plans. They're dirt
    > cheap for a reason.
    >
    > They are, essentially, oversized Palm IIIs with a foldout handle.
    >
    > The same goes for the 705, which was the last version offered by Palm.

    Damn Derek... This is heartbreaking news! Well to get Internet access on
    my Palm IIIc And IIIxe I have a Palm dialup modem. I used to use a
    Kyocera phone which also connected up to them for wireless Internet
    access (I'm now living outside of digital service). So you can't think
    of any cheap PDA solutions for my home WiFi (and/or hotspots)? Thanks in
    advance.

    --
    Bill

  4. Re: Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:25:54 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

    > Damn Derek... This is heartbreaking news! Well to get Internet access on
    > my Palm IIIc And IIIxe I have a Palm dialup modem. I used to use a
    > Kyocera phone which also connected up to them for wireless Internet
    > access (I'm now living outside of digital service). So you can't think
    > of any cheap PDA solutions for my home WiFi (and/or hotspots)? Thanks in
    > advance.

    Sorry. Really hate to be the bearer of bad news.

    Best option I can think of is a Tungsten C off of ebay. But they're still
    "popular" so it'll likely run you around $100 or more, unless you luck into
    a missed auction where no one else bids.

    --
    Derek

    "It is a good morning exercise for a research scientist to discard a pet
    hypothesis every day before breakfast. It keeps him young." -- Konrad
    Lorenz

  5. Re: Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    "Derek" wrote in message news:us7o981xv194.dlg@gwinn.us
    > On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:25:54 -0600, BillW50 wrote:
    >
    >> Damn Derek... This is heartbreaking news! Well to get Internet
    >> access on my Palm IIIc And IIIxe I have a Palm dialup modem. I used
    >> to use a Kyocera phone which also connected up to them for wireless
    >> Internet access (I'm now living outside of digital service). So you
    >> can't think of any cheap PDA solutions for my home WiFi (and/or
    >> hotspots)? Thanks in advance.

    > Sorry. Really hate to be the bearer of bad news.
    >
    > Best option I can think of is a Tungsten C off of ebay. But they're
    > still "popular" so it'll likely run you around $100 or more, unless
    > you luck into a missed auction where no one else bids.

    No problem Derek... you saved me from buying things I can't use and
    probably lots of countless hours trying to get incompatible things to
    work together. So thanks again. And I like the Tungsten idea. Who knows
    I might get lucky.

    --
    Bill

  6. Re: Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    Previously BillW50 wrote:

    >So you can't think
    > of any cheap PDA solutions for my home WiFi (and/or hotspots)?

    In addition to the previously mentioned used Tungsten C, you
    could maybe find cheap a Tungsten E (TE) plus an old enfora wi-fi
    sled to go with it. These have fallen from favor these days cuz
    of the TE2 + sd wifi card or the TX, so maybe this setup could be
    found on the cheap.

    Good luck,
    Todd

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  7. Re: Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    "Todd Tannenbaum" wrote in message
    > Previously BillW50 wrote:
    >
    >> So you can't think
    >> of any cheap PDA solutions for my home WiFi (and/or hotspots)?

    > In addition to the previously mentioned used Tungsten C, you
    > could maybe find cheap a Tungsten E (TE) plus an old enfora wi-fi
    > sled to go with it. These have fallen from favor these days cuz
    > of the TE2 + sd wifi card or the TX, so maybe this setup could be
    > found on the cheap.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Todd

    Oh thank you Todd!

    --
    Bill

  8. Re: Anybody using your Palm VIIx on your WLAN?

    On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 22:01:06 GMT-6, Todd Tannenbaum wrote:

    > Previously BillW50 wrote:
    >
    >>So you can't think
    >> of any cheap PDA solutions for my home WiFi (and/or hotspots)?

    > In addition to the previously mentioned used Tungsten C, you
    > could maybe find cheap a Tungsten E (TE) plus an old enfora wi-fi
    > sled to go with it. These have fallen from favor these days cuz
    > of the TE2 + sd wifi card or the TX, so maybe this setup could be
    > found on the cheap.
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Todd

    Enfora! That's the name I was struggling to remember and thought I'd
    imagined.

    --
    Derek

    "Whenever you commend, add your reasons for doing so; it is this which
    distinguishes the approbation of a man of sense from the flattery of
    sycophants and admiration of fools." -- Sir Richard Steele

+ Reply to Thread