Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery? - Palmtop ; Those that sell batteries for the Palm IIIc also states the same battery can be used in Palm IIIxe. Is this true? My Palm IIIxe uses 2 AA batteries. Is there a spot inside of the Palm IIIxe for one? ...

  1. Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    Those that sell batteries for the Palm IIIc also states the same battery
    can be used in Palm IIIxe. Is this true? My Palm IIIxe uses 2 AA
    batteries. Is there a spot inside of the Palm IIIxe for one? TIA

    --
    Bill

  2. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    BillW50 wrote:
    > Those that sell batteries for the Palm IIIc also states the same battery
    > can be used in Palm IIIxe. Is this true? My Palm IIIxe uses 2 AA
    > batteries. Is there a spot inside of the Palm IIIxe for one? TIA
    >
    > --
    > Bill

    I have a still-working IIIxe, and it only takes AA batteries. It will
    take NiCAD rechageables ... but they must be AA sized to fit.

  3. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    wrote in message
    news:1162927369.200095.47630@m7g2000cwm.googlegrou ps.com
    > BillW50 wrote:
    >> Those that sell batteries for the Palm IIIc also states the same
    >> battery can be used in Palm IIIxe. Is this true? My Palm IIIxe uses
    >> 2 AA batteries. Is there a spot inside of the Palm IIIxe for one? TIA

    > I have a still-working IIIxe, and it only takes AA batteries. It will
    > take NiCAD rechageables ... but they must be AA sized to fit.

    I think we both made typos. The Palm IIIxe uses 2 AAA batteries and not
    AA size. Yes I have one too. I also have a Palm IIIc which only take a
    Li-Ion which plugs into the motherboard. But some selling Palm IIIc
    batteries also sometimes state they work for the Palm IIIxe too. So I am
    wondering if you can install a Li-Ion inside of these too? Or some
    sellers have made a typo?

    --
    Bill

  4. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:55:55 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

    > wrote in message
    > news:1162927369.200095.47630@m7g2000cwm.googlegrou ps.com
    >> BillW50 wrote:
    >>> Those that sell batteries for the Palm IIIc also states the same
    >>> battery can be used in Palm IIIxe. Is this true? My Palm IIIxe uses
    >>> 2 AA batteries. Is there a spot inside of the Palm IIIxe for one? TIA

    >> I have a still-working IIIxe, and it only takes AA batteries. It will
    >> take NiCAD rechageables ... but they must be AA sized to fit.

    > I think we both made typos. The Palm IIIxe uses 2 AAA batteries and not
    > AA size. Yes I have one too. I also have a Palm IIIc which only take a
    > Li-Ion which plugs into the motherboard. But some selling Palm IIIc
    > batteries also sometimes state they work for the Palm IIIxe too. So I am
    > wondering if you can install a Li-Ion inside of these too? Or some
    > sellers have made a typo?

    No, you can't. The IIIxe doesn't have the circuitry to plug in a battery
    pack.

    See the following discussion:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...now-available/

    --
    Derek

    "You despise books; you whose lives are absorbed in the vanities of
    ambition, the pursuit of pleasure or indolence; but remember that all the
    known world, excepting only savage nations, is governed by books." --
    Voltaire

  5. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    BillW50 wrote:
    > I think we both made typos. The Palm IIIxe uses 2 AAA batteries and not
    > AA size.

    You're right ... I meant to say AAA not AA for the IIIxe. As far as I
    know, it will not take battery packs. The battery seller's ad is wrong.

  6. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    "mdspiro@gmail.com" wrote:

    >...for the IIIxe. As far as I know, it will not take battery packs.

    I once had a battery pack for my IIIxe. I can't remember who made it but I
    bought it at Sears during that era. It was a square black plastic encased nicad
    battery pack that exactly fit in the IIIxe battery bay. It came with a
    replacement battery door that had a built in jack to attach the wall charger. It
    was a neat gadget but in my experience pretty useless since my IIIxe would go
    many weeks between AAA battery changes. Using the gadget charger was just more
    trouble than it was worth. I doubt that you will find one of these things
    nowadays, but I offer this in the interest of trivia...

  7. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    "Derek" wrote in message news:vflvgl1fkfgd$.dlg@gwinn.us
    > On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 15:55:55 -0600, BillW50 wrote:
    >
    > No, you can't. The IIIxe doesn't have the circuitry to plug in a
    > battery pack.
    >
    > See the following discussion:
    > http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/8...now-available/

    Thanks Derek! I was hoping that all of the motherboards were basically
    the same. I do need a battery for my Palm IIIc anyway and I could get a
    deal on two of them. But it seems I couldn't use the 2nd one now anyway.

    --
    Bill

  8. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    "AaronJ" wrote in message
    > "mdspiro@gmail.com" wrote:
    >
    >> ...for the IIIxe. As far as I know, it will not take battery packs.

    > I once had a battery pack for my IIIxe. I can't remember who made it
    > but I bought it at Sears during that era. It was a square black
    > plastic encased nicad battery pack that exactly fit in the IIIxe
    > battery bay. It came with a replacement battery door that had a built
    > in jack to attach the wall charger. It was a neat gadget but in my
    > experience pretty useless since my IIIxe would go many weeks between
    > AAA battery changes. Using the gadget charger was just more trouble
    > than it was worth. I doubt that you will find one of these things
    > nowadays, but I offer this in the interest of trivia...

    Wow that is really slick. I bet we will never know all of the gadgets
    that are/were available for these things.

    --
    Bill

  9. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:40:36 -0600, BillW50 wrote:

    > "AaronJ" wrote in message
    >> "mdspiro@gmail.com" wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...for the IIIxe. As far as I know, it will not take battery packs.

    >> I once had a battery pack for my IIIxe. I can't remember who made it
    >> but I bought it at Sears during that era. It was a square black
    >> plastic encased nicad battery pack that exactly fit in the IIIxe
    >> battery bay. It came with a replacement battery door that had a built
    >> in jack to attach the wall charger. It was a neat gadget but in my
    >> experience pretty useless since my IIIxe would go many weeks between
    >> AAA battery changes. Using the gadget charger was just more trouble
    >> than it was worth. I doubt that you will find one of these things
    >> nowadays, but I offer this in the interest of trivia...

    > Wow that is really slick. I bet we will never know all of the gadgets
    > that are/were available for these things.

    I remember those. There was a company that did them for the Pilot and
    PilotPro, too.

    They were essentially 2 AAA rechargeable batteries in a plastic "body", so
    you only had one piece to pop in or out. I remember seeing one modified so
    that it made contact in the cradle, without being "plugged". All you had to
    do was set it in the cradle.

    There was some really creative work going on around Palm products in the
    late 1990s.

    --
    Derek

    "If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how
    incapable must Man be of learning from experience." -- George Bernard Shaw

  10. Re: Palm IIIxe can take Li-Ion battery?

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:37:56 -0500, Derek wrote:

    > There was some really creative work going on around Palm products in the
    > late 1990s.

    Examples from 2000:

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_Story.asp?ID=649
    http://www.the-gadgeteer.com/review/...ry_pack_review

    And, of course, the Handera 330 (2001) had the option, as well.

    http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/pda/handera/index.htm

    --
    Derek

    "Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need." -- Voltaire
    ("Candide", 1759)

+ Reply to Thread