Treo & USB drive - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo & USB drive - Palmtop ; Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files on it as if it were an external hard drive? Bob...

  1. Treo & USB drive

    Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files on
    it as if it were an external hard drive?

    Bob

  2. Re: Treo & USB drive

    It is alleged that Bob Newman claimed:

    > Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files on
    > it as if it were an external hard drive?

    No. As a USB device, the Treo is a client, not a host.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I think we're making progress. We understand where the power of this
    country lay. It lays in the hearts and souls of Americans. It must
    also lay in our pocketbooks." - George W. Bush, Apr 11, 2001

  3. Re: Treo & USB drive

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files on
    > it as if it were an external hard drive?

    I use a small USB SD card reader which allows using an SD card as a USB
    drive. One can then simply insert just the SD card into the Palm
    device. Not quite the same thing you asked for, but the effect is
    essentially the same.

    Doug Hoffman

  4. Re: Treo & USB drive

    Only for that device. Not for exchanging data with other people.

    Bob

    wrote in message
    news:1162828937.785408.267700@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

    > Bob Newman wrote:
    >> Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files
    >> on
    >> it as if it were an external hard drive?

    > I use a small USB SD card reader which allows using an SD card as a USB
    > drive. One can then simply insert just the SD card into the Palm
    > device. Not quite the same thing you asked for, but the effect is
    > essentially the same.
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

  5. Re: Treo & USB drive

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > Only for that device. Not for exchanging data with other people.

    Not exactly sure what you mean. I can and do pull the SD card from my
    Palm, stick it in a USB reader, and can then access, manipulate, store,
    or whatever using either my iMac or Wintel PC. Other people could
    easily access the files or store files as well, just as if it were a
    USB drive.

    Doug Hoffman

  6. Re: Treo & USB drive

    But the Treo couldn't access files on their USB drive.

    Bob

    wrote in message
    news:1162893331.202695.66820@f16g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...

    > Bob Newman wrote:
    >> Only for that device. Not for exchanging data with other people.

    > Not exactly sure what you mean. I can and do pull the SD card from my
    > Palm, stick it in a USB reader, and can then access, manipulate, store,
    > or whatever using either my iMac or Wintel PC. Other people could
    > easily access the files or store files as well, just as if it were a
    > USB drive.
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

  7. Re: Treo & USB drive

    Bob Newman wrote:
    > Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files on
    > it as if it were an external hard drive?
    >
    > Bob

    You can't plug a USB device directly into the Treo, however, there are
    ways to achieve similar results with an additional step or two.

    I assume the Treo has SD card capability. If so, this is the
    technology you'll use to see the additional drive.

    Sandisk makes a product called the Ultra II Plus SD Card, which is both
    a USB drive and an SD card, and can be plugged directly into any
    computer USB port to launch as a drive, or plugged into any
    SD-compatible device (such as your Treo) to launch as a drive. I have
    one, and it works great. (The card literally folds in half at a hinge,
    which allows it to plug into USB ports; unfolded, it plugs into SD card
    slots).

    Without this particular card, you can also use any inexpensive card
    reader to view the drive contents on a PC.

    If the data you're wanting to see is already on a USB-drive device,
    you'll need to copy that file from that device onto the SD card.

    I like the Sandisk Ultra II Plus approach best, for you get both
    technologies in one device, and it is always with you (without needing
    a reader) to be used anywhere, anytime.

  8. Re: Treo & USB drive

    In article <1164059433.959438.321050@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>, Kevin
    says...

    > Bob Newman wrote:
    > > Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files on
    > > it as if it were an external hard drive?
    > >
    > > Bob

    > You can't plug a USB device directly into the Treo, however, there are
    > ways to achieve similar results with an additional step or two.
    >
    > I assume the Treo has SD card capability. If so, this is the
    > technology you'll use to see the additional drive.
    >
    > Sandisk makes a product called the Ultra II Plus SD Card, which is both
    > a USB drive and an SD card, and can be plugged directly into any
    > computer USB port to launch as a drive, or plugged into any
    > SD-compatible device (such as your Treo) to launch as a drive. I have
    > one, and it works great. (The card literally folds in half at a hinge,
    > which allows it to plug into USB ports; unfolded, it plugs into SD card
    > slots).
    >
    > Without this particular card, you can also use any inexpensive card
    > reader to view the drive contents on a PC.
    >
    > If the data you're wanting to see is already on a USB-drive device,
    > you'll need to copy that file from that device onto the SD card.
    >
    > I like the Sandisk Ultra II Plus approach best, for you get both
    > technologies in one device, and it is always with you (without needing
    > a reader) to be used anywhere, anytime.

    MediaGear USB XtraDrive, Secure Digital=3F
    It is a USB thumb-drive with a removable SD card as it's memory chip.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  9. Re: Treo & USB drive

    Kevin wrote:
    > Bob Newman wrote:
    > > Is there a way to hook a USB thumb drive to the Treo 650 & access files on
    > > it as if it were an external hard drive?
    > >
    > > Bob

    > You can't plug a USB device directly into the Treo, however, there are
    > ways to achieve similar results with an additional step or two.
    >
    > I assume the Treo has SD card capability. If so, this is the
    > technology you'll use to see the additional drive.
    >
    > Sandisk makes a product called the Ultra II Plus SD Card, which is both
    > a USB drive and an SD card, and can be plugged directly into any
    > computer USB port to launch as a drive, or plugged into any
    > SD-compatible device (such as your Treo) to launch as a drive. I have
    > one, and it works great. (The card literally folds in half at a hinge,
    > which allows it to plug into USB ports; unfolded, it plugs into SD card
    > slots).
    >
    > Without this particular card, you can also use any inexpensive card
    > reader to view the drive contents on a PC.
    >
    > If the data you're wanting to see is already on a USB-drive device,
    > you'll need to copy that file from that device onto the SD card.
    >
    > I like the Sandisk Ultra II Plus approach best, for you get both
    > technologies in one device, and it is always with you (without needing
    > a reader) to be used anywhere, anytime.

    A link to more information on the Sandisk Ultra II Plus SD cards...
    http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/Def...spx?CatID=1151

+ Reply to Thread