Problem with SD Card - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Problem with SD Card - Palmtop ; System: Palm TX SD Card: Transcend 1 GB The SD Card has been working fine for many months, but it failed for OS and some applications today - the OS couldn't see anything on the card, but card info showed ...

  1. Problem with SD Card

    System: Palm TX
    SD Card: Transcend 1 GB

    The SD Card has been working fine for many months, but it failed for OS
    and some applications today

    - the OS couldn't see anything on the card, but card info showed the
    right
    info about the size and the usage
    - FileZ reported some vfs errors

    - pTunes could still play music from it
    - RescoExplorer was able to list all files on the card and able to
    view them too

    Reboot the system didn't help.

    Any suggestions?

    /Why Tea

  2. Re: Problem with SD Card

    I should probably also mention that the Blazer browser has crashed so
    many times, plus other random crashes, might have corrupted the SD
    Card's file system.

    This is my 3rd Palm in a row (Vx - PE -TX) and TX seems to be the most
    unstable ( I still can't get Blazer to run without crashing). I
    consider myself a die-hard Palm fan and an experienced user, but if
    Palm (or Access) doesn't improve the quality of the product, it will
    not survive the competition from other PDA makers.

    /Why Tea

  3. Re: Problem with SD Card

    Why Tea wrote:
    >Palm (or Access) doesn't improve the quality of the product, it will
    >not survive the competition from other PDA makers.

    There are no other PDA makers!
    I never have those problems with my TX. Format the card and try again but you probably need a new card.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  4. Re: Problem with SD Card

    > I never have those problems with my TX. Format the card and try again but you probably need a new card.

    I was running my TX happily for the first 3 months, then the problems
    occurred. I thought it was just me until I searched the Web and found
    it to be a general issue for many other users. Yes, it could be
    incompatibility issues, but what are the guidelines? The solution
    posted at Palm Website said, do a hard reset and then reinstall apps
    one by one. That's trial and error...

    If Resco Explorer can read all the files, I don't think the card is
    faulty. It seems that there is a bad directory as reported by FileZ.
    I'll try to remove that bad directory on PC to see if it fixes the
    problem. Otherwise, format the card is probably the only way to go.

  5. Re: Problem with SD Card

    In article <1162544810.378353.275380@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>, "Why
    Tea" wrote:

    > The SD Card has been working fine for many months, but it failed for OS
    > and some applications today
    >
    > - the OS couldn't see anything on the card, but card info showed the
    > right info about the size and the usage
    > - FileZ reported some vfs errors
    >
    > - pTunes could still play music from it
    > - RescoExplorer was able to list all files on the card ..
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Mount the card in a card reader to your Mac - or PC, I guess! - and then
    run a disk repair application on it. It should mount as a USB drive, and
    that should be good enough for your repair app.

    It certainly worked with my G5 and 4gig SD card...

    Worth a try?

    - duncan

  6. Re: Problem with SD Card

    > Mount the card in a card reader to your Mac - or PC, I guess! - and then
    > run a disk repair application on it. It should mount as a USB drive, and
    > that should be good enough for your repair app.

    As it turned out, the SD Card file system was badly mangled; e.g.
    Program and Launcher that were under Palm were found in PALM.(. Luckily
    all the files were still on the card. To cut the story short:
    - I copied all files to my PC
    - format the card on Palm
    - copy all files from PC to the card (in the right directories)

    The card is working fine again. I think the lesson here is to back up
    your SD Card regularly, especially if you have a TX.

+ Reply to Thread