Question About Fatal Exception Errors - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Question About Fatal Exception Errors - Palmtop ; I bought a used Visor at the local Goodwill store today. It worked fine. Then I downloaded the Palm software and installed it on my computer (and I guess on the handheld) and everything was fine. But the Palm Software ...

  1. Question About Fatal Exception Errors

    I bought a used Visor at the local Goodwill store today. It worked
    fine. Then I downloaded the Palm software and installed it on my
    computer (and I guess on the handheld) and everything was fine.

    But the Palm Software wasn't adequate so IO went to a website and
    downloaded 3xcom.zip which is supposed to be a file manager file name
    3xcom.prc. Well, I installed it and now everytime I try to select
    anything other than the "Main" I get a fatal exception and have to
    reset. If I select "all" I get a fal exception error. The file was
    supposed to be installed in the utilities directory; but is not listed
    there; nor in Main. I don't know where it went or how to get it
    deleted.

    The machine (is it a machine or even a computer?) comes with an 8MB
    flash module which I think has a bunch of games on it which I don't
    want. I downloaded the file manager to delete the games and now I
    don't know what to do.

    This is the first time I have ever used a handheld.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: Question About Fatal Exception Errors

    In article , ANgus says...

    > I bought a used Visor at the local Goodwill store today. It worked
    > fine. Then I downloaded the Palm software and installed it on my
    > computer (and I guess on the handheld) and everything was fine.
    >
    > But the Palm Software wasn't adequate so IO went to a website and
    > downloaded 3xcom.zip which is supposed to be a file manager file name
    > 3xcom.prc. Well, I installed it and now everytime I try to select
    > anything other than the "Main" I get a fatal exception and have to
    > reset. If I select "all" I get a fal exception error. The file was
    > supposed to be installed in the utilities directory; but is not listed
    > there; nor in Main. I don't know where it went or how to get it
    > deleted.
    >
    > The machine (is it a machine or even a computer?) comes with an 8MB
    > flash module which I think has a bunch of games on it which I don't
    > want. I downloaded the file manager to delete the games and now I
    > don't know what to do.
    >
    > This is the first time I have ever used a handheld.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    3XCom requires OS4.0 minimum, you have OS3.?

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  3. Re: Question About Fatal Exception Errors

    While on Main, hit the menu key (or tap the top line of the display) -
    one of the choices should be Delete. Select that, and you should get a
    list of installed programs. Hi-lite 3xcom and hit the delete "button"
    at the bottom of the screen. Hit done, then do a reset, and see if that
    helps.

    If not - you can do a hard reset and delete everything. You will have
    to find some docs on the exact buttons to hit on your visor for the
    hard reset. If you have stuff you don't want to lose - do a hotsync
    first, which should back everything up, do the hard reset, and do
    another hotsync, which should restore your PDA. Unfortunately, it may
    restore your problem. You can experiment by deleting things from your
    backup directory before the second hotsync - for example, delete the
    3xcom.prc file if it is there, and anything else that looks like a
    similar or related name. There are these things called "preferences"
    that I don't kn ow much about - perhaps a corrupted preference is
    causing a problem - someone else would have to help with info about
    that. If you rename the backup directory before the hotsync, you can
    truly start from scratch.

    The backup directory should be c:\program files\handspring\(abbreviated
    hotsyncID)\backup.

    Good luck
    Dan

    ANgus wrote:
    > I bought a used Visor at the local Goodwill store today. It worked
    > fine. Then I downloaded the Palm software and installed it on my
    > computer (and I guess on the handheld) and everything was fine.
    >
    > But the Palm Software wasn't adequate so IO went to a website and
    > downloaded 3xcom.zip which is supposed to be a file manager file name
    > 3xcom.prc. Well, I installed it and now everytime I try to select
    > anything other than the "Main" I get a fatal exception and have to
    > reset. If I select "all" I get a fal exception error. The file was
    > supposed to be installed in the utilities directory; but is not listed
    > there; nor in Main. I don't know where it went or how to get it
    > deleted.
    >
    > The machine (is it a machine or even a computer?) comes with an 8MB
    > flash module which I think has a bunch of games on it which I don't
    > want. I downloaded the file manager to delete the games and now I
    > don't know what to do.
    >
    > This is the first time I have ever used a handheld.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

  4. Re: Question About Fatal Exception Errors

    On 3 Nov 2006 09:25:13 -0800, "kronhead" wrote:

    >While on Main, hit the menu key (or tap the top line of the display) -
    >one of the choices should be Delete. Select that, and you should get a
    >list of installed programs. Hi-lite 3xcom and hit the delete "button"
    >at the bottom of the screen. Hit done, then do a reset, and see if that
    >helps.
    >
    >If not - you can do a hard reset and delete everything. You will have
    >to find some docs on the exact buttons to hit on your visor for the
    >hard reset. If you have stuff you don't want to lose - do a hotsync
    >first, which should back everything up, do the hard reset, and do
    >another hotsync, which should restore your PDA. Unfortunately, it may
    >restore your problem. You can experiment by deleting things from your
    >backup directory before the second hotsync - for example, delete the
    >3xcom.prc file if it is there, and anything else that looks like a
    >similar or related name. There are these things called "preferences"
    >that I don't kn ow much about - perhaps a corrupted preference is
    >causing a problem - someone else would have to help with info about
    >that. If you rename the backup directory before the hotsync, you can
    >truly start from scratch.
    >
    >The backup directory should be c:\program files\handspring\(abbreviated
    >hotsyncID)\backup.
    >
    >Good luck
    >Dan

    Dan,
    That worked. Thank you very much.

    >ANgus wrote:
    >> I bought a used Visor at the local Goodwill store today. It worked
    >> fine. Then I downloaded the Palm software and installed it on my
    >> computer (and I guess on the handheld) and everything was fine.
    >>
    >> But the Palm Software wasn't adequate so IO went to a website and
    >> downloaded 3xcom.zip which is supposed to be a file manager file name
    >> 3xcom.prc. Well, I installed it and now everytime I try to select
    >> anything other than the "Main" I get a fatal exception and have to
    >> reset. If I select "all" I get a fal exception error. The file was
    >> supposed to be installed in the utilities directory; but is not listed
    >> there; nor in Main. I don't know where it went or how to get it
    >> deleted.
    >>
    >> The machine (is it a machine or even a computer?) comes with an 8MB
    >> flash module which I think has a bunch of games on it which I don't
    >> want. I downloaded the file manager to delete the games and now I
    >> don't know what to do.
    >>
    >> This is the first time I have ever used a handheld.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.

  5. Re: Question About Fatal Exception Errors

    On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:46:48 GMT, Jim Anderson
    wrote:

    >In article , ANgus says...
    >
    >> I bought a used Visor at the local Goodwill store today. It worked
    >> fine. Then I downloaded the Palm software and installed it on my
    >> computer (and I guess on the handheld) and everything was fine.
    >>
    >> But the Palm Software wasn't adequate so IO went to a website and
    >> downloaded 3xcom.zip which is supposed to be a file manager file name
    >> 3xcom.prc. Well, I installed it and now everytime I try to select
    >> anything other than the "Main" I get a fatal exception and have to
    >> reset. If I select "all" I get a fal exception error. The file was
    >> supposed to be installed in the utilities directory; but is not listed
    >> there; nor in Main. I don't know where it went or how to get it
    >> deleted.
    >>
    >> The machine (is it a machine or even a computer?) comes with an 8MB
    >> flash module which I think has a bunch of games on it which I don't
    >> want. I downloaded the file manager to delete the games and now I
    >> don't know what to do.
    >>
    >> This is the first time I have ever used a handheld.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>

    >3XCom requires OS4.0 minimum, you have OS3.?

    Jim,

    Thanks.

    I learned how o delete it from another poster.