Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera - Palmtop ; My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure government facility. Thus I'm looking for a Palm OS-based phone that will work with a Cingular chip. The descriptions that I see everywhere do not clearly ...

  1. Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure
    government facility. Thus I'm looking for a Palm OS-based phone that
    will work with a Cingular chip. The descriptions that I see everywhere
    do not clearly state whether the cell phone I'm looking at does or does
    not have a camera. I am focusing on the Palm Treo series. only because
    I'm married to the Palm interface due to the sheer number of Palm
    programs I have. I've even considered used or discontinued models on
    EBay but again, its not clear which models have cameras and which ones
    have not.

    Any guidance on finding Palm-based cell phones with no cameras and
    compatible with Cingular would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

  2. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    On 2 Nov 2006 11:27:00 -0800, IndioBravo wrote:

    > Any guidance on finding Palm-based cell phones with no cameras and
    > compatible with Cingular would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

    This page:

    http://business.cingular.com/busines...vices/palm.jsp

    notes that there's a Treo 650 available without a camera. The information
    for buying a Treo has no information on the non-photographic version. But
    they do provide the following:

    Call 1 866 429-7222 for Pricing
    --
    Derek

    "An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to
    take offense, no matter what happens." -- Robert Benchley

  3. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    On 2 Nov 2006 11:27:00 -0800, IndioBravo wrote:
    : My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure
    : government facility. Thus I'm looking for a Palm OS-based phone that

    And here I thought I was the outcast only one shut out of all the new
    phones because of that stupid useless camera feature.

    Please drop a line if you like whatever it is you find.

  4. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    IndioBravo wrote:

    > Any guidance on finding Palm-based cell phones with no cameras and
    > compatible with Cingular would be appreciated.

    Wouldn't be hard to buy the smart phone of your choice and simply
    remove or paint over the camera lense.

    Doug Hoffman

  5. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    >> Any guidance on finding Palm-based cell phones with no cameras and
    >> compatible with Cingular would be appreciated.

    >Wouldn't be hard to buy the smart phone of your choice and simply
    >remove or paint over the camera lense.

    If it isn't certified camera-free, it's not camera-free, especially
    if it ever had a camera.

    See also government standards for destruction of hard disks or RAM
    that have ever had classified data on them.

  6. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    Gordon Burditt wrote:
    >>> Any guidance on finding Palm-based cell phones with no cameras and
    >>> compatible with Cingular would be appreciated.

    >> Wouldn't be hard to buy the smart phone of your choice and simply
    >> remove or paint over the camera lense.

    > If it isn't certified camera-free, it's not camera-free, especially
    > if it ever had a camera.
    >
    > See also government standards for destruction of hard disks or RAM
    > that have ever had classified data on them.

    I have heard that in USA you can get a Treo 650 without a camera.
    Another option might be to remove the camera physically.

    JonB

  7. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    Gordon Burditt wrote:

    > If it isn't certified camera-free, it's not camera-free, especially
    > if it ever had a camera.

    That definition depends upon the employer, I would think.

    > See also government standards for destruction of hard disks or RAM
    > that have ever had classified data on them.

    I haven't read them. Regardless, do we know he works at a government
    facility with a draconian policy?

    Doug Hoffman

  8. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    On 16 Nov 2006 04:28:34 -0800, dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:

    > Gordon Burditt wrote:
    >
    >> If it isn't certified camera-free, it's not camera-free, especially
    >> if it ever had a camera.

    > That definition depends upon the employer, I would think.

    I'd expect there to be less variance in that definition than you do.
    (Doesn't prove anything but a difference in opinion.

    >> See also government standards for destruction of hard disks or RAM
    >> that have ever had classified data on them.

    > I haven't read them. Regardless, do we know he works at a government
    > facility with a draconian policy?

    We do if we read what he wrote. He started off with this line...

    "My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure
    government facility."

    --
    Derek

    "Man is the only animal that laughs and has a state legislature." -- Samuel
    Butler

  9. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    Derek wrote:
    > On 16 Nov 2006 04:28:34 -0800, dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    >
    > > Gordon Burditt wrote:
    > >
    > >> If it isn't certified camera-free, it's not camera-free, especially
    > >> if it ever had a camera.

    > > That definition depends upon the employer, I would think.

    > I'd expect there to be less variance in that definition than you do.
    > (Doesn't prove anything but a difference in opinion.

    Yes.

    > >> See also government standards for destruction of hard disks or RAM
    > >> that have ever had classified data on them.

    > > I haven't read them. Regardless, do we know he works at a government
    > > facility with a draconian policy?

    > We do if we read what he wrote. He started off with this line...
    >
    > "My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure
    > government facility."

    Now this gets murky to me. My son works at a submarine design/build
    facility on the east coast. He is not allowed to bring a PDA on site
    because information is stored on a PDA. He knows this because he tried
    to bring his TE to work and was turned away at the guard shack.

    But apparently the OP works at a "secure government facility" and he
    *is* allowed to bring in a PDA. Clear as mud. Perhaps the OP should
    simply ask his management about the details of the camera policy at his
    facility.

    Doug Hoffman

  10. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    On 18 Nov 2006 08:00:44 -0800, dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:

    > Derek wrote:

    >>> That definition depends upon the employer, I would think.

    >> I'd expect there to be less variance in that definition than you do.
    >> (Doesn't prove anything but a difference in opinion.

    > Yes.

    >>> I haven't read them. Regardless, do we know he works at a government
    >>> facility with a draconian policy?

    >> We do if we read what he wrote. He started off with this line...
    >>
    >> "My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure
    >> government facility."

    > Now this gets murky to me. My son works at a submarine design/build
    > facility on the east coast. He is not allowed to bring a PDA on site
    > because information is stored on a PDA. He knows this because he tried
    > to bring his TE to work and was turned away at the guard shack.

    That your son had this experience does not make it universal.

    > But apparently the OP works at a "secure government facility" and he
    > *is* allowed to bring in a PDA. Clear as mud. Perhaps the OP should
    > simply ask his management about the details of the camera policy at his
    > facility.

    So the OP is allowed to have a PDA. That, by no means, supports the
    assumption that he hasn't already checked about the details or that he
    doesn't know about which he writes. "Mud" shows up if you assume that
    either he's ignorant of the details or that every policy is the same.

    There have been other discussions over the years about being allowed to
    have a Palm but being required to disable (and prove disabled) the IR, and
    of being allowed to have a Palm but not one with Bluetooth.

    So, consider the possibility that the reason the OP was asking here was
    because he'd already inquired and been told that cameras were verboten.

    (And, of course, I could be completely wrong. All I'm saying is that
    there's no reason to assume ignorance.)

    --
    Derek

    "The best way to become acquainted with a subject is to write a book about
    it." -- Benjamin Disraeli

  11. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    It is alleged that dhoffman@talkamerica.net claimed:

    > > "My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure
    > > government facility."

    > Now this gets murky to me. My son works at a submarine design/build
    > facility on the east coast. He is not allowed to bring a PDA on site
    > because information is stored on a PDA. He knows this because he tried
    > to bring his TE to work and was turned away at the guard shack.
    >
    > But apparently the OP works at a "secure government facility" and he
    > *is* allowed to bring in a PDA. Clear as mud.

    Maybe it depends on the type of work being done. My brother works with
    Navy subs from a base somewhat North of your son's (I'm guessing based
    on the "build facility" bit), and he can bring his PDA (a T|E2) in with
    him. I don't know about cameras, though.

    I had to leave my Treo with the guards at the front desk of the county
    Court House when I was called for jury duty last year because of the
    camera. These security rules make no sense. No cameras, to protect
    people's privacy, yet reporters can bring cameras into the building,
    and there is nothing to prevent someone from making drawings of the
    people...

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #65. I will never allow my people
    to speak to prisoners alone, but I will sometimes appear to do so.

  12. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    Here's what the policy says, and I am quoting verbatim:

    PROHIBITION OF CAMERAS AND CAMERA CELL PHONES
    Due to the unique and special nature of the work we perform, the
    materials used to produce work, and for other security reasons, certain
    items are barred from entry into our facilities. In accordance with the
    xxxxxxxxxx, Rules and Regulations, dated xxxxxxxxx, "Prohibited Entry
    Items," the Security Division reminds all employees, contractors and
    visitors of the restriction concerning camera cell phones, cameras
    (disposable or non disposable) and film. These items are strictly
    prohibited in the facilities. Violations of this policy shall result in
    the items being temporarily confiscated, pictures will be viewed for
    security purposes and in all cases a security violation will be issued
    to the responsible person.

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that dhoffman@talkamerica.net claimed:
    >
    > > > "My place of work at does not allow cameras because it is a secure
    > > > government facility."

    > > Now this gets murky to me. My son works at a submarine design/build
    > > facility on the east coast. He is not allowed to bring a PDA on site
    > > because information is stored on a PDA. He knows this because he tried
    > > to bring his TE to work and was turned away at the guard shack.
    > >
    > > But apparently the OP works at a "secure government facility" and he
    > > *is* allowed to bring in a PDA. Clear as mud.

    > Maybe it depends on the type of work being done. My brother works with
    > Navy subs from a base somewhat North of your son's (I'm guessing based
    > on the "build facility" bit), and he can bring his PDA (a T|E2) in with
    > him. I don't know about cameras, though.
    >
    > I had to leave my Treo with the guards at the front desk of the county
    > Court House when I was called for jury duty last year because of the
    > camera. These security rules make no sense. No cameras, to protect
    > people's privacy, yet reporters can bring cameras into the building,
    > and there is nothing to prevent someone from making drawings of the
    > people...
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    >
    > "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #65. I will never allow my people
    > to speak to prisoners alone, but I will sometimes appear to do so.

  13. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    In article <1164805363.654306.63710@16g2000cwy.googlegroups.co m>,
    IndioBravo wrote:

    > Here's what the policy says, and I am quoting verbatim:
    >
    > PROHIBITION OF CAMERAS AND CAMERA CELL PHONES
    > Due to the unique and special nature of the work we perform, the
    > materials used to produce work, and for other security reasons, certain
    > items are barred from entry into our facilities. In accordance with the
    > xxxxxxxxxx, Rules and Regulations, dated xxxxxxxxx, "Prohibited Entry
    > Items," the Security Division reminds all employees, contractors and
    > visitors of the restriction concerning camera cell phones, cameras
    > (disposable or non disposable) and film. These items are strictly
    > prohibited in the facilities. Violations of this policy shall result in
    > the items being temporarily confiscated, pictures will be viewed for
    > security purposes and in all cases a security violation will be issued
    > to the responsible person.

    I've lost the constraints from the OP, but this might suffice. The
    Samsung i500 is available on eBay generally for under $100 for the
    complete package, new or refurb'ed. It's a Sprint phone. The included
    software is for the Windows world (Samsung avers limited support for
    Mac), but Mark/Space Inc's Missing Sync software is available for the
    Mac OS X and the i500.

    --
    Paul of Pemaquid Point
    "Bounding Maine"

  14. Re: Need Palm OS Cell Phone w/ No Camera

    IndioBravo,

    Check this thread at Treonauts.com :
    http://forum.treonauts.com/treo-mode...ss-option.html

    No guarantees, but you could ask about the two references for a
    cameraless Treo 680 made there, one regarding the Cingular Premier
    store, another about a rebate form. Maybe they can give you some leads.

    Kevin

    IndioBravo wrote:
    > Here's what the policy says, and I am quoting verbatim:
    >
    > PROHIBITION OF CAMERAS AND CAMERA CELL PHONES
    > Due to the unique and special nature of the work we perform, the
    > materials used to produce work, and for other security reasons, certain
    > items are barred from entry into our facilities. In accordance with the
    > xxxxxxxxxx, Rules and Regulations, dated xxxxxxxxx, "Prohibited Entry
    > Items," the Security Division reminds all employees, contractors and
    > visitors of the restriction concerning camera cell phones, cameras
    > (disposable or non disposable) and film. These items are strictly
    > prohibited in the facilities. Violations of this policy shall result in
    > the items being temporarily confiscated, pictures will be viewed for
    > security purposes and in all cases a security violation will be issued
    > to the responsible person.
    >

    > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > > It is alleged that dhoffman@talkamerica.net claimed:

    > > > Now this gets murky to me. My son works at a submarine design/build
    > > > facility on the east coast. He is not allowed to bring a PDA on site
    > > > because information is stored on a PDA. He knows this because he tried
    > > > to bring his TE to work and was turned away at the guard shack.
    > > >
    > > > But apparently the OP works at a "secure government facility" and he
    > > > *is* allowed to bring in a PDA. Clear as mud.

    > > Maybe it depends on the type of work being done. My brother works with
    > > Navy subs from a base somewhat North of your son's (I'm guessing based
    > > on the "build facility" bit), and he can bring his PDA (a T|E2) in with
    > > him. I don't know about cameras, though.
    > >
    > > I had to leave my Treo with the guards at the front desk of the county
    > > Court House when I was called for jury duty last year because of the
    > > camera. These security rules make no sense. No cameras, to protect
    > > people's privacy, yet reporters can bring cameras into the building,
    > > and there is nothing to prevent someone from making drawings of the
    > > people...
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    > >
    > > "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #65. I will never allow my people
    > > to speak to prisoners alone, but I will sometimes appear to do so.

+ Reply to Thread