Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application - Palmtop ; I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo. I keep them as hidden records. But it looks like these Private records can be made visible without much effort using Linux as they are not encrypted. palmgear lists a bunch ...

  1. Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo.
    I keep them as hidden records.
    But it looks like these Private records can be made visible without
    much effort using Linux as they are not encrypted.

    palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose.
    I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose.
    Since it is a security related matter, I didnt want to take chances.

    Thanks
    --nw

  2. Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    norris_watkins@hotmail.com wrote:
    > I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo.
    > I keep them as hidden records.
    > But it looks like these Private records can be made visible without
    > much effort using Linux as they are not encrypted.
    >
    > palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose.
    > I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose.
    > Since it is a security related matter, I didnt want to take chances.

    The treocast episode 6 from treocentral.com talks about this
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/954-1.htm

    JonB

  3. Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    It is alleged that norris_watkins@hotmail.com claimed:

    > I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo.
    > I keep them as hidden records.
    > But it looks like these Private records can be made visible without
    > much effort using Linux as they are not encrypted.
    >
    > palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose.
    > I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose.
    > Since it is a security related matter, I didnt want to take chances.

    I like Ultrasoft Datashield. It has a Widows Desktop part too.

    www.ultrasoft.com

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity and
    incumbency." - George W. Bush. June 14, 2001, to Swedish PM Goran
    Perrson, unaware that a live television camera was still rolling.

  4. Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    On my Treo 600, I use SplashID (www.splashid.com) which I believe came with
    my Treo 600 installation CD.

    wrote in message
    news:1162491798.500635.286630@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo.
    > I keep them as hidden records.
    > But it looks like these Private records can be made visible without
    > much effort using Linux as they are not encrypted.
    >
    > palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose.
    > I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose.
    > Since it is a security related matter, I didnt want to take chances.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --nw

  5. Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    I use SplashID (www.splashdata.com) on my Treo 600 which also has a desktop
    application as well.and using it at the moment for my Nokia N73.

    --
    Gerry (The MOTH)

    wrote in message
    news:1162491798.500635.286630@h54g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    >I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo.
    > I keep them as hidden records.
    > But it looks like these Private records can be made visible without
    > much effort using Linux as they are not encrypted.
    >
    > palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose.
    > I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose.
    > Since it is a security related matter, I didnt want to take chances.
    >
    > Thanks
    > --nw

  6. Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    + norris_watkins@hotmail.com:

    | I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo.
    | [...]
    | palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose.
    | I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose.

    I use Strip myself, but haven't really looked at the alternatives. (I
    don't think there were many alternatives when I adopted Strip ages
    ago.) Biggest problem with Strip is the lack of a desktop
    application. So if my Palm dies, I have to find another one to read
    my passwords. (But fortunately, I have a couple old ones lying around
    that I could use for the purpose.) Strip is free. I'm too lazy to
    find an url for you, but I think I got it from sourceforge.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  7. Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    "Harald Hanche-Olsen" wrote in message
    newscoodrog9n0.fsf@shuttle.math.ntnu.no...
    >+ norris_watkins@hotmail.com:
    >
    > | I keep a bunch of passwords in my Treo.
    > | [...]
    > | palmgear lists a bunch of applications just for this purpose.
    > | I was wondering if there is a widely used program for this purpose.
    >
    > I use Strip myself, but haven't really looked at the alternatives. (I
    > don't think there were many alternatives when I adopted Strip ages
    > ago.) Biggest problem with Strip is the lack of a desktop
    > application. So if my Palm dies, I have to find another one to read
    > my passwords. (But fortunately, I have a couple old ones lying around
    > that I could use for the purpose.) Strip is free. I'm too lazy to
    > find an url for you, but I think I got it from sourceforge.
    >
    > --
    > * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    > - It is undesirable to believe a proposition
    > when there is no ground whatsoever for supposing it is true.
    > -- Bertrand Russell

    I use Keyring, found at http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net/. It has worked
    well for me for many years.

    --
    Eric Backus

  8. Re: Treo 650 ( Palm OS ) Best security Application

    + "Eric Backus" :

    | I use Keyring, found at http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net/. It has
    | worked well for me for many years.

    I did too, before I found Strip. I forget why I switched, but the
    reason must have been a good one, for it's quite a bit of work to move
    a bunch of passwords from one application to another. Maybe Strip is
    more flexible? It allows more fields per record, in addition to the
    password itself. Including a notes field, which is useful for cases
    when there are special instructions to remember.

    Oh, here it is:

    http://www.identicentric.com/products/strip/index.html

    I see they have version 2.0 out. I am still running 1.0.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

+ Reply to Thread