Good free mapping software located (finally!) - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Good free mapping software located (finally!) - Palmtop ; I finally found a good free mapping application for the Treo 650. It only works with Internet enabled smartphones though. http://www.google.com/gmm/treo I had trouble downloading the app directly to the Treo with blazer but you can just download the .prc ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    I finally found a good free mapping application for the Treo 650. It
    only works with Internet enabled smartphones though.

    http://www.google.com/gmm/treo

    I had trouble downloading the app directly to the Treo with blazer but
    you can just download the .prc file and hotsync it.

  2. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    It is alleged that Chuck claimed:

    > I finally found a good free mapping application for the Treo 650. It
    > only works with Internet enabled smartphones though.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/gmm/treo
    >
    > I had trouble downloading the app directly to the Treo with blazer but
    > you can just download the .prc file and hotsync it.

    Caution: The map data it downloads on demand is not small. You'll
    need to be using an unlimited data enabled account to make good use of
    this. Or at least, a lot of quota.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #191.
    I will not appoint a relative to my staff of advisors. Not only is
    nepotism the cause of most breakdowns in policy, but it also causes
    trouble with the EEOC.

  3. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Previously Chuck wrote:

    > I finally found a good free mapping application for the Treo

    650. It
    > only works with Internet enabled smartphones though.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/gmm/treo

    Actually, it does not require a smartphone/Treo - apparently
    any Palm that can connect to the internet will do. My co-worker
    said it worked fine on his wife's TX via wi-fi.

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  4. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    In article <6aO1h.6703$Wy6.3083@trnddc01>,
    Chuck wrote:

    > I finally found a good free mapping application for the Treo 650. It
    > only works with Internet enabled smartphones though.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/gmm/treo
    >
    > I had trouble downloading the app directly to the Treo with blazer but
    > you can just download the .prc file and hotsync it.

    I was able to directly download it to my TX. It works real nice. It's
    fast (with a WiFi connection) and you can switch between Map and Aerial
    photo unfortunately you can't get map overlays on the aerial shots.

    --
    Clark Martin

  5. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Clark Martin wrote:

    > > http://www.google.com/gmm/treo

    > I was able to directly download it to my TX. It works real nice. It's
    > fast (with a WiFi connection) and you can switch between Map and Aerial
    > photo unfortunately you can't get map overlays on the aerial shots.

    Can anyone tell me -- is there a way to save a Google Map and/or
    Directions on the TX for later viewing offline? Obviously, it will
    work when connected to a WiFi hotspot. What about when I'm not near a
    hotspot? Is it only viewable live?

  6. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    > Clark Martin wrote:
    >
    >>> http://www.google.com/gmm/treo

    >> I was able to directly download it to my TX. It works real nice. It's
    >> fast (with a WiFi connection) and you can switch between Map and Aerial
    >> photo unfortunately you can't get map overlays on the aerial shots.
    >>

    > Can anyone tell me -- is there a way to save a Google Map and/or
    > Directions on the TX for later viewing offline? Obviously, it will
    > work when connected to a WiFi hotspot. What about when I'm not near a
    > hotspot? Is it only viewable live?

    I don't think so. It was really designed for use with an internet
    enabled phone. You could always try mapquest. It will download
    directions into blazer and you could copy and paste to a document, or
    just leave blazer on that page.

  7. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Chuck claimed:
    >
    >> I finally found a good free mapping application for the Treo 650. It
    >> only works with Internet enabled smartphones though.
    >>
    >> http://www.google.com/gmm/treo
    >>
    >> I had trouble downloading the app directly to the Treo with blazer but
    >> you can just download the .prc file and hotsync it.

    > Caution: The map data it downloads on demand is not small. You'll
    > need to be using an unlimited data enabled account to make good use of
    > this. Or at least, a lot of quota.

    I have an unlimited data account through the company I work for. Google
    Maps works well with it.

    I still wish that Microsoft would include a Palm app with Streets and
    Trips though. I loved the PPC version. You could download maps to the
    Pocket PC and they were much faster to display than Google Maps, which
    has to download images every time you change locations. Plus for a while
    yesterday it seemed like the google server was inaccessible (even though
    my signal strength was strong).

  8. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    It is alleged that Chuck claimed:

    > > Caution: The map data it downloads on demand is not small. You'll
    > > need to be using an unlimited data enabled account to make good use of
    > > this. Or at least, a lot of quota.

    > I have an unlimited data account through the company I work for. Google
    > Maps works well with it.

    Glad to hear it. I, however, use data a-la-carte, and I'm about to get
    socked with a $27 data usage charge over my basic plan rate.

    > I still wish that Microsoft would include a Palm app with Streets and

    That's not gonna happen.

    > Trips though. I loved the PPC version. You could download maps to the
    > Pocket PC and they were much faster to display than Google Maps, which
    > has to download images every time you change locations. Plus for a while

    That is my biggest complaint about GMM, it does not store
    already-retrieved maps locally. I've got a 2G card that's mostly
    empty, I've got +plenty+ of room to cache the data. I would then be
    able to download the map data for my area, take the one-time data use
    hit and then just access it locally.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Brie and cheese." - George W. Bush, what he thought reporters ate,
    Aug 23. 2001

  9. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Chuck wrote:

    > I don't think so. It was really designed for use with an internet
    > enabled phone. You could always try mapquest. It will download
    > directions into blazer and you could copy and paste to a document, or
    > just leave blazer on that page.

    Actually, Mapquest allows you to save maps and directions for offline
    reading on PDA's -- it sends it to Avantgo. You have to first
    subscribe to Avantgo (it's free) and then create a Mapquest Channel.
    I've used Avantgo on my Palms for years for offline web browsing.
    There are hundreds of channels to choose from -- news, entertainment,
    business, etc. Before getting my TX with live WiFi and Blazer, it was
    the only way I could access web info on my palm. I wish Google Maps
    would allow the same offline saving -- I like their maps way better
    than Mapquest's.

  10. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think so. It was really designed for use with an internet
    >> enabled phone. You could always try mapquest. It will download
    >> directions into blazer and you could copy and paste to a document, or
    >> just leave blazer on that page.

    > Actually, Mapquest allows you to save maps and directions for offline
    > reading on PDA's -- it sends it to Avantgo. You have to first
    > subscribe to Avantgo (it's free) and then create a Mapquest Channel.
    > I've used Avantgo on my Palms for years for offline web browsing.
    > There are hundreds of channels to choose from -- news, entertainment,
    > business, etc. Before getting my TX with live WiFi and Blazer, it was
    > the only way I could access web info on my palm. I wish Google Maps
    > would allow the same offline saving -- I like their maps way better
    > than Mapquest's.

    I used Avantgo for years too on my PPC. Then they switched from using a
    web interface to that crazy client of there's a year or two ago. It
    never worked right, lots of glitches. I haven't used it since.

    I did try installing it on my Palm but found the same problems on that
    platform so I dumped it again. Seems like a lot of client to install
    just to view 30k map and download directions.

  11. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    mdspiro@gmail.com (mdspiro@gmail.com) wrote:

    : Clark Martin wrote:

    : > > http://www.google.com/gmm/treo
    : >
    : > I was able to directly download it to my TX. It works real nice. It's
    : > fast (with a WiFi connection) and you can switch between Map and Aerial
    : > photo unfortunately you can't get map overlays on the aerial shots.
    : >

    : Can anyone tell me -- is there a way to save a Google Map and/or
    : Directions on the TX for later viewing offline? Obviously, it will
    : work when connected to a WiFi hotspot. What about when I'm not near a
    : hotspot? Is it only viewable live?

    I do not have a data-plan now to try this out, but I presume the
    directions are still arriving astext, so you should be able to copy/paste
    them to another application.

    the maps. may be can be handled by a screen capture program. again,I am
    not sure what is out there , specially open source/freeware.

    --

    -----------------

    d u r d u r a n @
    m a i l . s a s . u p e n n . e d u

    -----------------
    --- www.stwing.upenn.edu/~durduran/
    --- www.peace-cyprus.org
    --- www.hamamboculeri.org
    --- www.cyprusaction.org

  12. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Turgut Durduran wrote:
    > mdspiro@gmail.com (mdspiro@gmail.com) wrote:
    >
    > : Clark Martin wrote:
    >
    > : > > http://www.google.com/gmm/treo
    > : >
    > : > I was able to directly download it to my TX. It works real nice. It's
    > : > fast (with a WiFi connection) and you can switch between Map and Aerial
    > : > photo unfortunately you can't get map overlays on the aerial shots.
    > : >
    >
    > : Can anyone tell me -- is there a way to save a Google Map and/or
    > : Directions on the TX for later viewing offline? Obviously, it will
    > : work when connected to a WiFi hotspot. What about when I'm not near a
    > : hotspot? Is it only viewable live?
    >
    > I do not have a data-plan now to try this out, but I presume the
    > directions are still arriving astext, so you should be able to copy/paste
    > them to another application.
    >
    > the maps. may be can be handled by a screen capture program. again,I am
    > not sure what is out there , specially open source/freeware.

    Directions are integrated with the map. You press space and it moves the
    map to the next turn with directions in a balloon window pointing to the
    intersection. For straightup text directions you're better of using
    mapquest's directions.

  13. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Turgut Durduran wrote:
    > I do not have a data-plan now to try this out, but I presume the
    > directions are still arriving astext, so you should be able to copy/paste
    > them to another application.
    >
    > the maps. may be can be handled by a screen capture program. again,I am
    > not sure what is out there , specially open source/freeware.

    Screen capture ... now there's a great idea! I've never seen such a
    program for Palm, but I'd love to get one (especially if it's free!)
    Anyone know of one that will work with Blazer?

  14. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    It is alleged that mdspiro@gmail.com claimed:

    > Turgut Durduran wrote:
    > > I do not have a data-plan now to try this out, but I presume the
    > > directions are still arriving astext, so you should be able to copy/paste
    > > them to another application.
    > >
    > > the maps. may be can be handled by a screen capture program. again,I am
    > > not sure what is out there , specially open source/freeware.

    > Screen capture ... now there's a great idea! I've never seen such a
    > program for Palm, but I'd love to get one (especially if it's free!)
    > Anyone know of one that will work with Blazer?

    Snap!, available via Palmgear, etc. Makes bmp files and stores them on
    the external card.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: ECONOMICS: An arcane language, used by its own cognoscenti for reviewing past events in the production and distribution of wealth. There are some who would define economics as a science rather than a language; but, in the absence of any evidence that future events can be predicted by economics on the basis of fixed laws, this approach can hardly be supported by the objective lexicographer.

  15. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Chuck wrote:
    > I used Avantgo for years too on my PPC. Then they switched from using a
    > web interface to that crazy client of there's a year or two ago. It
    > never worked right, lots of glitches. I haven't used it since.
    > I did try installing it on my Palm but found the same problems on that
    > platform so I dumped it again. Seems like a lot of client to install
    > just to view 30k map and download directions.

    I've never had any problems with Avantgo. I log in and configure the
    channels on their standard website from any PC. Their Palm client
    resembles a web interface, with hypertext, etc. ... but it's always
    looked that way to me. I've used it since the early 1990's on my Palm
    IIIxe. It's been updated several times since then, but still works
    essentially the same now as it did back then. The main advantage is
    that once you HotSync, all the info is loaded onto the Palm for offline
    viewing -- no WiFi connection required. I mostly use it for reading
    news (Reuters, NY Times, MSNBC, CNET, etc.) and movie theatre listings
    (Hollywood.com, Yahoo Movies, etc.) Adding the maps now is just an
    afterthought for me.

  16. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > Snap!, available via Palmgear, etc. Makes bmp files and stores them on
    > the external card.

    Thanks! I got and installed Snap! Now ... how do I find and view the
    bmp files? I tried "snapping" a few screenshots, but I can't seem to
    access them on the SD card. I tried using the Palm Media viewer, and
    TCPMP, but neither one "sees" any files on the SD card. Am I doing
    something wrong?

  17. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    It is alleged that mdspiro@gmail.com claimed:

    > > Snap!, available via Palmgear, etc. Makes bmp files and stores them on
    > > the external card.

    > Thanks! I got and installed Snap! Now ... how do I find and view the
    > bmp files? I tried "snapping" a few screenshots, but I can't seem to

    PALM\Programs\Snap

    > access them on the SD card. I tried using the Palm Media viewer, and
    > TCPMP, but neither one "sees" any files on the SD card. Am I doing
    > something wrong?

    Make sure you have a viewer that can display bmp files. I don't think
    the Palm Media Viewer can, nor TCPMP.

    Some versions of AcidImage can, as can Resco Viewer. ACDSee's Palm app
    probably can, too.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of
    all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily
    defeat us." - Justice William O.Douglas

  18. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    > Make sure you have a viewer that can display bmp files. I don't think
    > the Palm Media Viewer can, nor TCPMP.
    >
    > Some versions of AcidImage can, as can Resco Viewer. ACDSee's Palm app
    > probably can, too.

    Understood. Are there any good free BMP viewers? I downloaded
    slBmpView ... but it crashed my TX when I tried opening an image.
    Probably not OS5 compatable.

  19. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    It is alleged that mdspiro@gmail.com claimed:

    > > Some versions of AcidImage can, as can Resco Viewer. ACDSee's Palm app
    > > probably can, too.

    > Understood. Are there any good free BMP viewers? I downloaded

    I have a feeling that those may be contradictory requirements. From
    the little I researched, bmp viewing is only available in software you
    have to pay for.

    I use Resco Viewer. Not free, but very good. It replaced Acid Image
    on my Treo.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #168.
    I will plan in advance what to do with each of my enemies if they are
    captured. That way, I will never have to order someone to be tied up
    while I decide his fate.

  20. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > I have a feeling that those may be contradictory requirements. From
    > the little I researched, bmp viewing is only available in software you
    > have to pay for.

    Like I said, I already found "slBmpView", which is an older free bmp
    viewer. I was hoping there was a newer, OS5-compatible app out there
    somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast