Good free mapping software located (finally!) - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Good free mapping software located (finally!) - Palmtop ; It is alleged that mdspiro@gmail.com claimed: > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote: > > I have a feeling that those may be contradictory requirements. From > > the little I researched, bmp viewing is only available in software you > > have ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    It is alleged that mdspiro@gmail.com claimed:

    > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > > I have a feeling that those may be contradictory requirements. From
    > > the little I researched, bmp viewing is only available in software you
    > > have to pay for.

    > Like I said, I already found "slBmpView", which is an older free bmp

    You also said that it doesn't work, which means that it's not good.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I would have said yes to abortion if only it was right. I mean, yeah
    it's right. Well no it's not right that's why I said no to it." George
    W. Bush, South Carolina, February 14,2000

  2. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > > Like I said, I already found "slBmpView", which is an older free bmp

    > You also said that it doesn't work, which means that it's not good.

    Correct .. however, "slBmpView" was copyrighted 2002, and was
    well-reviewed by users on the PalmGear.com site ... so I assume it
    worked fine on older Palms. I was hoping there was something more
    current out there for my TX.

  3. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    mdspiro@gmail.com (mdspiro@gmail.com) wrote:

    : Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    : > > Like I said, I already found "slBmpView", which is an older free bmp
    : >
    : > You also said that it doesn't work, which means that it's not good.

    : Correct .. however, "slBmpView" was copyrighted 2002, and was
    : well-reviewed by users on the PalmGear.com site ... so I assume it
    : worked fine on older Palms. I was hoping there was something more
    : current out there for my TX.

    These too list bmp files but I did not test it:
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics/grxviewlite.shtml
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/graphics...rototype.shtml

    Also, if desperate, "Mapmap Lite" can show bmp files as maps. May be it can
    be used as a viewer.

    --

    -----------------

    d u r d u r a n @
    m a i l . s a s . u p e n n . e d u

    -----------------
    --- www.stwing.upenn.edu/~durduran/
    --- www.peace-cyprus.org
    --- www.hamamboculeri.org
    --- www.cyprusaction.org

  4. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >> I used Avantgo for years too on my PPC. Then they switched from using a
    >> web interface to that crazy client of there's a year or two ago. It
    >> never worked right, lots of glitches. I haven't used it since.
    >> I did try installing it on my Palm but found the same problems on that
    >> platform so I dumped it again. Seems like a lot of client to install
    >> just to view 30k map and download directions.

    > I've never had any problems with Avantgo. I log in and configure the
    > channels on their standard website from any PC. Their Palm client
    > resembles a web interface, with hypertext, etc. ... but it's always
    > looked that way to me. I've used it since the early 1990's on my Palm
    > IIIxe. It's been updated several times since then, but still works
    > essentially the same now as it did back then. The main advantage is
    > that once you HotSync, all the info is loaded onto the Palm for offline
    > viewing -- no WiFi connection required. I mostly use it for reading
    > news (Reuters, NY Times, MSNBC, CNET, etc.) and movie theatre listings
    > (Hollywood.com, Yahoo Movies, etc.) Adding the maps now is just an
    > afterthought for me.

    It never worked right with a memory card. Say I was reading an article
    in computerworld and I turned off the device. When I turned it back in
    to pick up where I left off, it would report an error that the MMC card
    was inaccessible and close the application. I'd have to reload the app,
    navigate back to computerworld, then to the article, then find where in
    the article I was. It was too much of a PITA to deal with every time I
    wanted to turn off the device. The IE based version never had those
    problems but they stopped supporting it.

  5. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Chuck wrote:
    > It never worked right with a memory card. Say I was reading an article
    > in computerworld and I turned off the device. When I turned it back in
    > to pick up where I left off, it would report an error that the MMC card
    > was inaccessible and close the application. I'd have to reload the app,
    > navigate back to computerworld, then to the article, then find where in
    > the article I was. It was too much of a PITA to deal with every time I
    > wanted to turn off the device. The IE based version never had those
    > problems but they stopped supporting it.

    I sounds like you're describing a Windows Pocket PC based PDA, right?
    (I'm not aware of any "IE-based version" of Avantgo for the Palm OS.)
    I've only owned Palms, and never had the problems you described. The
    Avantgo app is installed on the internal memory, not an external card.
    Powering off and then back on while reading an article does not cause
    any errors. I simply pick up where I left off.

  6. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >> It never worked right with a memory card. Say I was reading an article
    >> in computerworld and I turned off the device. When I turned it back in
    >> to pick up where I left off, it would report an error that the MMC card
    >> was inaccessible and close the application. I'd have to reload the app,
    >> navigate back to computerworld, then to the article, then find where in
    >> the article I was. It was too much of a PITA to deal with every time I
    >> wanted to turn off the device. The IE based version never had those
    >> problems but they stopped supporting it.

    > I sounds like you're describing a Windows Pocket PC based PDA, right?
    > (I'm not aware of any "IE-based version" of Avantgo for the Palm OS.)
    > I've only owned Palms, and never had the problems you described. The
    > Avantgo app is installed on the internal memory, not an external card.
    > Powering off and then back on while reading an article does not cause
    > any errors. I simply pick up where I left off.

    It was indeed a WM device that I used at the time. I did install the
    application on my Treo too but never got very deep into it before I
    started encountering other problems and gave up on it again. If they
    would dump that POC custom application and go back to a purely browser
    based one I would consider using it.

    Another constant annoyance was the fact that the application doesn't
    wrap lines correctly in articles. It would wrap at a couple of
    characters too long so I was constantly scrolling right, scrolling left
    on every line I read. Just one more nuisance that keeps me from using
    it. I really think they shot themselves in the foot when they abandoned
    the purely browser based approach. Before then it worked flawlessly.

  7. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Chuck wrote:
    > It was indeed a WM device that I used at the time. I did install the
    > application on my Treo too but never got very deep into it before I
    > started encountering other problems and gave up on it again. If they
    > would dump that POC custom application and go back to a purely browser
    > based one I would consider using it.
    >
    > Another constant annoyance was the fact that the application doesn't
    > wrap lines correctly in articles. It would wrap at a couple of
    > characters too long so I was constantly scrolling right, scrolling left
    > on every line I read. Just one more nuisance that keeps me from using
    > it. I really think they shot themselves in the foot when they abandoned
    > the purely browser based approach. Before then it worked flawlessly.

    Again, my experience with Avantgo is all Palm -- none of those problems
    exist on that platform. Word wrapping is all vertical -- I never had
    to scroll right or left to read anything. Avantgo was originally
    written for Palm. The Windows Mobile version came later. This reminds
    me of how Bill Gates took something good (like the way he tried to
    emulate the user-friendly, elegant Apple Macintosh OS with his clunky
    Windows OS), and messed it up.

  8. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    mdspiro@gmail.com wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >> It was indeed a WM device that I used at the time. I did install the
    >> application on my Treo too but never got very deep into it before I
    >> started encountering other problems and gave up on it again. If they
    >> would dump that POC custom application and go back to a purely browser
    >> based one I would consider using it.
    >>
    >> Another constant annoyance was the fact that the application doesn't
    >> wrap lines correctly in articles. It would wrap at a couple of
    >> characters too long so I was constantly scrolling right, scrolling left
    >> on every line I read. Just one more nuisance that keeps me from using
    >> it. I really think they shot themselves in the foot when they abandoned
    >> the purely browser based approach. Before then it worked flawlessly.

    > Again, my experience with Avantgo is all Palm -- none of those problems
    > exist on that platform. Word wrapping is all vertical -- I never had
    > to scroll right or left to read anything. Avantgo was originally
    > written for Palm. The Windows Mobile version came later. This reminds
    > me of how Bill Gates took something good (like the way he tried to
    > emulate the user-friendly, elegant Apple Macintosh OS with his clunky
    > Windows OS), and messed it up.

    Actually it was Xerox's interface that apple stole, which Microsoft
    tried to copy. ;-)

    That old lawsuit back in the 80's really cracked me up. Imagine trying
    to sue someone for infringing on a "look and feel" that you stole in the
    first place! It's almost as bad as the SCO suit against IBM and other
    linux vendors.

  9. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    In article <1162481879.463504.170090@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "mdspiro@gmail.com" wrote:

    > Clark Martin wrote:
    >
    > > > http://www.google.com/gmm/treo

    > > I was able to directly download it to my TX. It works real nice. It's
    > > fast (with a WiFi connection) and you can switch between Map and Aerial
    > > photo unfortunately you can't get map overlays on the aerial shots.
    > >

    > Can anyone tell me -- is there a way to save a Google Map and/or
    > Directions on the TX for later viewing offline? Obviously, it will
    > work when connected to a WiFi hotspot. What about when I'm not near a
    > hotspot? Is it only viewable live?

    You can leave the current map up and view it offline. You may even be
    able to pan around some while offline. But you would have had to pan
    around while online to cache the larger view.

    --
    Clark Martin

  10. Re: Good free mapping software located (finally!)

    Clark Martin wrote:
    > You can leave the current map up and view it offline. You may even be
    > able to pan around some while offline. But you would have had to pan
    > around while online to cache the larger view.

    I figured out a neat solution to the BMP reading issue: I use Snap to
    take screenshots of GoogleMap images. Then, on my PC (which has an SD
    card-reader), I can open the BMP files created from Snap saved on my SD
    card and re-save them as JPG files (using IrfanView). Now the Palm's
    Media app can read them! I know ... it's a bit of a pain to do, but as
    a work-around, it's a good way to keep frequently used Google maps and
    directions eaily accessable on my TX.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2