treo 650 with location based crashing - Palmtop

This is a discussion on treo 650 with location based crashing - Palmtop ; i've got an unlocked gsm treo 650 with a fairly annoying problem: it constantly hangs when in/around my house. everywhere else it's fine and has virtually no problems. if i am in my house it rarely goes an hour without ...

  1. treo 650 with location based crashing

    i've got an unlocked gsm treo 650 with a fairly annoying problem: it
    constantly hangs when in/around my house. everywhere else it's fine and
    has virtually no problems. if i am in my house it rarely goes an hour
    without hanging, often it hangs within 5 minutes. at the office or out
    of town, it rarely hangs (maybe once a week). by hang i mean it won't
    wake up from standby. as long as the screen stays on it acts just fine.
    it never panics & reboots. so i suspect something like one of my
    neighbors is debugging unpackaged ghz silicon or running an unlicensed
    radio station. it even hangs at home if i do a hard reset and just let
    it sit there after calibrating the touchscreen (no hotsync, radios off,
    etc.).

    some phone info:
    firmware: 01.71
    software: treo650-1.20-ena
    hardware: a
    currently it has no apps installed except those included in rom (the
    ones there after a hard reset).

    has anybody else seen anything like this?

    thanks,

    andrew essen
    nospam@tofurama.com (it's a real address)

  2. Re: treo 650 with location based crashing

    andrew essen wrote:
    > i've got an unlocked gsm treo 650 with a fairly annoying problem: it
    > constantly hangs when in/around my house. e

    You could always move.

  3. Re: treo 650 with location based crashing

    How bad is your coverage at home? My 650 will pause briefly when it is
    in an area of poor coverage (like my home) - but only for a few
    seconds. I suppose if it was in an area where coverage kept coming and
    going ... What if you turn off the phone? Does it still hang?

    Dan

    andrew essen wrote:
    > i've got an unlocked gsm treo 650 with a fairly annoying problem: it
    > constantly hangs when in/around my house. everywhere else it's fine and
    > has virtually no problems. if i am in my house it rarely goes an hour
    > without hanging, often it hangs within 5 minutes. at the office or out
    > of town, it rarely hangs (maybe once a week). by hang i mean it won't
    > wake up from standby. as long as the screen stays on it acts just fine.
    > it never panics & reboots. so i suspect something like one of my
    > neighbors is debugging unpackaged ghz silicon or running an unlicensed
    > radio station. it even hangs at home if i do a hard reset and just let
    > it sit there after calibrating the touchscreen (no hotsync, radios off,
    > etc.).
    >
    > some phone info:
    > firmware: 01.71
    > software: treo650-1.20-ena
    > hardware: a
    > currently it has no apps installed except those included in rom (the
    > ones there after a hard reset).
    >
    > has anybody else seen anything like this?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > andrew essen
    > nospam@tofurama.com (it's a real address)

  4. Re: treo 650 with location based crashing

    Oops - sorry, I missed the part about hanging even with the radio off.
    Never mind.

    Dan

    andrew essen wrote:
    > i've got an unlocked gsm treo 650 with a fairly annoying problem: it
    > constantly hangs when in/around my house. everywhere else it's fine and
    > has virtually no problems. if i am in my house it rarely goes an hour
    > without hanging, often it hangs within 5 minutes. at the office or out
    > of town, it rarely hangs (maybe once a week). by hang i mean it won't
    > wake up from standby. as long as the screen stays on it acts just fine.
    > it never panics & reboots. so i suspect something like one of my
    > neighbors is debugging unpackaged ghz silicon or running an unlicensed
    > radio station. it even hangs at home if i do a hard reset and just let
    > it sit there after calibrating the touchscreen (no hotsync, radios off,
    > etc.).
    >
    > some phone info:
    > firmware: 01.71
    > software: treo650-1.20-ena
    > hardware: a
    > currently it has no apps installed except those included in rom (the
    > ones there after a hard reset).
    >
    > has anybody else seen anything like this?
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > andrew essen
    > nospam@tofurama.com (it's a real address)

  5. Re: treo 650 with location based crashing

    the coverage is mediocre (t-mobile), but in the few glorious moments
    before a hang the reception is surprisingly good. i'm pretty sure i
    tried all combinations of cellular & bluetooth on/off -- no difference.

    ae

    --

    andrew essen
    nospam@tofurama.com (it's a real address)

  6. solved -- Re: treo 650 with location based crashing

    andrew essen wrote:
    > i've got an unlocked gsm treo 650 with a fairly annoying problem: it
    > constantly hangs when in/around my house. everywhere else it's fine and
    > has virtually no problems. if i am in my house it rarely goes an hour
    > without hanging, often it hangs within 5 minutes. at the office or out
    > of town, it rarely hangs (maybe once a week). by hang i mean it won't
    > wake up from standby. as long as the screen stays on it acts just fine.
    > it never panics & reboots. so i suspect something like one of my
    > neighbors is debugging unpackaged ghz silicon or running an unlicensed
    > radio station. it even hangs at home if i do a hard reset and just let
    > it sit there after calibrating the touchscreen (no hotsync, radios off,
    > etc.).

    after much kicking, screaming, cursing, etc. i finally figured out the
    problem. it wasn't exactly location based crashing, but temperature
    based crashing. turns out my house is too cold, if the treo temperature
    falls below around 70F (takes a while if it was in my pocket) it gets
    unreliable and refuses to turn on. i used to leave the treo on a cold
    glass table when at home which made things even worse.

    if anybody else is having troubles with their treo refusing to wake up
    and it's slightly cold out, try putting your treo someplace nice and
    toasty and see if that helps.

    --

    andrew essen
    nospam@tofurama.com (it's a real address)

  7. Re: solved -- Re: treo 650 with location based crashing

    It is alleged that andrew essen claimed:

    > after much kicking, screaming, cursing, etc. i finally figured out the
    > problem. it wasn't exactly location based crashing, but temperature
    > based crashing. turns out my house is too cold, if the treo temperature
    > falls below around 70F (takes a while if it was in my pocket) it gets
    > unreliable and refuses to turn on. i used to leave the treo on a cold
    > glass table when at home which made things even worse.

    Odd... This time of year I tend to keep my place a bit below 70F during
    the day and somewhere around 65f at night... never had any such
    problems.

    If your Treo is that sensitive to temperature, something's wrong with
    it. It has an operating temperature range of at least 50f-90f.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #31.
    All naive, busty tavern wenches in my realm will be replaced with
    surly, world-weary waitresses who will provide no unexpected
    reinforcement and/or romantic subplot for the hero or his sidekick.

  8. Re: solved -- Re: treo 650 with location based crashing

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > Odd... This time of year I tend to keep my place a bit below 70F during
    > the day and somewhere around 65f at night... never had any such
    > problems.
    >
    > If your Treo is that sensitive to temperature, something's wrong with
    > it. It has an operating temperature range of at least 50f-90f.

    oh yeah, my treo is defective. the range is supposed to be 32F-104F.
    i'm just stuck between dealing with a known somewhat annoying defect and
    playing refurb roulette sending it back to palm. it's not quite
    annoying enough to take the risk (yet).

    --

    andrew essen
    nospam@tofurama.com (it's a real address)