"Phone capable" in a PDA description?? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on "Phone capable" in a PDA description?? - Palmtop ; If a PDA is described as "Phone capable", what would you expect that to mean? A... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just like a mobile phone. 2... there is a slot ...

  1. "Phone capable" in a PDA description??

    If a PDA is described as "Phone capable", what would you expect that to
    mean?

    A... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    like a mobile phone.
    2... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    like a mobile phone as long as you have a seperate microphone and
    headset.
    3... Something else.

    Ta muchly
    Steve

  2. Re: "Phone capable" in a PDA description??

    Steve wrote:
    > If a PDA is described as "Phone capable", what would you expect that to
    > mean?
    >
    > A... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    > like a mobile phone.
    > 2... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    > like a mobile phone as long as you have a seperate microphone and
    > headset.
    > 3... Something else.

    I think i would expect it to have both a loudspeaker and a microphone
    so it could be used without a wired or bluetooth headset, but i might
    accept if the reason was compelling enough.

    I _THINK_ my dream phone would be highly symmetrical and have a high
    resolution screen + a sliding keyboard, or possible side hinged so it
    can open revealing the keyboard.

    I am not sure because i have not tried to use one and i am not sure
    how cumbersome it will be to open it or slide out the keyboard when
    needed. I do have a treo 650 at the moment and i use the keyboard
    rather often, but sometimes i dont and thats when i want to have a
    bigger screen. Both physically bigger and with a higher resolution.

    JonB

  3. Re: "Phone capable" in a PDA description??

    In article ,
    Jon Bendtsen wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    > > If a PDA is described as "Phone capable", what would you expect that to
    > > mean?

    I would expect to read the fine print.

  4. Re: "Phone capable" in a PDA description??

    3. Other...

    Perhaps it means you can connect it to a mobile for dialing or internet
    browsing or you can use it to make VoIP calls.

    Guy Bannis wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >

    > I would expect to read the fine print.

  5. Re: "Phone capable" in a PDA description??

    Steve wrote:
    > If a PDA is described as "Phone capable", what would you expect that to
    > mean?
    >
    > A... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    > like a mobile phone.
    > 2... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    > like a mobile phone as long as you have a seperate microphone and
    > headset.
    > 3... Something else.
    >
    > Ta muchly
    > Steve

    I think it's very unclear and you need to contact the seller to have
    them specify exactly what it means.

  6. Re: "Phone capable" in a PDA description??

    >If a PDA is described as "Phone capable", what would you expect that to
    >mean?
    >
    >A... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    >like a mobile phone.
    >2... there is a slot somewhere for a Sim card and you can use it just
    >like a mobile phone as long as you have a seperate microphone and
    >headset.
    >3... Something else.

    Under ... something else ..., include the ability of the PDA to CONTROL
    a mobile phone, e.g. via bluetooth.

+ Reply to Thread