wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel? - Palmtop ; Or even an ipsec tunnel? Has anyone cobbled together the necessary bits to load onto a PalmOS5 (T|X) so it can tunnel the wifi hotsync conversation for use, for ex, when hotsyncing from a public hotspot? Of course I can't ...

  1. wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    Or even an ipsec tunnel? Has anyone cobbled together the necessary
    bits to load onto a PalmOS5 (T|X) so it can tunnel the wifi hotsync
    conversation for use, for ex, when hotsyncing from a public hotspot?
    Of course I can't leave the XP desktop buck nekkid exposed to the
    world but if I can tunnel it from my freebsd firewall I think I can
    trust my internal ethernet [famous last words?]...

    Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.

    (please nb, followups set)

  2. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > Or even an ipsec tunnel? Has anyone cobbled together the necessary
    > bits to load onto a PalmOS5 (T|X) so it can tunnel the wifi hotsync
    > conversation for use, for ex, when hotsyncing from a public hotspot?
    > Of course I can't leave the XP desktop buck nekkid exposed to the
    > world but if I can tunnel it from my freebsd firewall I think I can
    > trust my internal ethernet [famous last words?]...
    >
    > Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.
    >
    > (please nb, followups set)

    For it to be secure you would need an ssh client that supports tunneling
    on the Palm. I don't think such a critter exists. Not a reliable one
    anyway. I tried a couple of them back when I first got mine about a
    month ago. None of them worked well and most of them reset the device.

    A vpn is probably a better solution. Palm has one on their web site but
    it's not free.

    http://www.palmone.com/vpn04

    I was hoping to find OpenVPN for the Palm, but it's yet another
    application that has a version for Windows Mobile but not Palm.

    http://www.ziggurat29.com/OVPNPPCAlpha/OVPNPPCAlpha.htm

  3. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    Howard Goldstein a écrit :
    > Or even an ipsec tunnel? Has anyone cobbled together the necessary
    > bits to load onto a PalmOS5 (T|X) so it can tunnel the wifi hotsync
    > conversation for use, for ex, when hotsyncing from a public hotspot?
    > Of course I can't leave the XP desktop buck nekkid exposed to the
    > world but if I can tunnel it from my freebsd firewall I think I can
    > trust my internal ethernet [famous last words?]...
    >
    > Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.
    >
    > (please nb, followups set)

    Why not ?

    It happened to me by chance : I wanted to sync through Wifi between my
    work laptop and my T|C. My work laptop was connected with OpenVPN to my
    home desktop PC. Both computer have the Palm software and sync tools.
    And... instead of syncing with my laptop (50 cm away from me) I sync'es
    with my home desktop (km's away from me) ! :-D I did not select the
    proper computer on the Palm screen.

    If you can ping the computer from the Palm, then you can sync. Entering
    the IP address instead of the PC name can help.

    Charly

  4. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:47:33 GMT, Chuck wrote:
    : For it to be secure you would need an ssh client that supports tunneling
    : on the Palm. I don't think such a critter exists. Not a reliable one
    : anyway. I tried a couple of them back when I first got mine about a
    : month ago. None of them worked well and most of them reset the device.

    Was this one of the ones you tried on the TX?

    I just need authenticated tunneling of the two relevant ports,
    so even something a little might do the trik.

    :
    : A vpn is probably a better solution.

    Not for me, the shop is already heavily ssh'd and the learning curve
    would be flat.

  5. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 23:50:07 +0200, Charly wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein a écrit :
    : > Or even an ipsec tunnel? Has anyone cobbled together the necessary
    : > bits to load onto a PalmOS5 (T|X) so it can tunnel the wifi hotsync
    : > conversation for use, for ex, when hotsyncing from a public hotspot?
    : > Of course I can't leave the XP desktop buck nekkid exposed to the
    : > world but if I can tunnel it from my freebsd firewall I think I can
    : > trust my internal ethernet [famous last words?]...
    : >
    : > Apologies in advance if this is a FAQ.
    : >
    : > (please nb, followups set)
    :
    : Why not ?

    I'm not brave enough. It's a production environment. YMMV

    : If you can ping the computer from the Palm, then you can sync. Entering
    : the IP address instead of the PC name can help.

    I'm not sure how the first is relevant, and dotted quads shouldn't be
    at all necessary. I just want to have an authenticated tunnel for the
    hifi ports. Thanks anyway

  6. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:43:21 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : hifi ports

    hotsync ports, duh

  7. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:39:46 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : so even something a little might do the trik.

    I'm usually not this incoherent. "Something a little unpolished might
    do the trick." Need more cofffee

  8. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:39:46 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:47:33 GMT, Chuck wrote:
    : : For it to be secure you would need an ssh client that supports tunneling
    : : on the Palm. I don't think such a critter exists. Not a reliable one
    : : anyway. I tried a couple of them back when I first got mine about a
    : : month ago. None of them worked well and most of them reset the device.
    :
    : Was this one of the ones you tried on the TX?
    :

    Never mind about pssh, it works very well but doesn't seem to do
    tunneling.

    What tunnling stuff did you try that worked poorly and reset the
    device? TIA

  9. Re: wifi hotsync through ssh tunnel?

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:47:33 GMT, Chuck wrote:
    > : For it to be secure you would need an ssh client that supports tunneling
    > : on the Palm. I don't think such a critter exists. Not a reliable one
    > : anyway. I tried a couple of them back when I first got mine about a
    > : month ago. None of them worked well and most of them reset the device.
    >
    > Was this one of the ones you tried on the TX?
    >

    > I just need authenticated tunneling of the two relevant ports,
    > so even something a little might do the trik.
    >
    > :
    > : A vpn is probably a better solution.
    >
    > Not for me, the shop is already heavily ssh'd and the learning curve
    > would be flat.

    Yes. I tried it on a treo 650 though. And one of my criteria was that it
    had to work using pubkey authentication which even though it says it
    supports, didn't work. I also recall it resetting my device a couple of
    times so I gave up on it.

+ Reply to Thread