Palm future? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm future? - Palmtop ; There has been no update or new products from Pal, other than the Treo range, for quite a while. Does it seem as if they will drop everything other than Treo in future?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 55

  1. Palm future?

    There has been no update or new products from Pal, other than the Treo
    range, for quite a while.
    Does it seem as if they will drop everything other than Treo in future?

  2. Re: Palm future?

    ken wrote:
    > There has been no update or new products from Pal, other than the Treo
    > range, for quite a while.
    > Does it seem as if they will drop everything other than Treo in future?

    I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    only their smartphones sold well.

  3. Re: Palm future?

    Per Jon Bendtsen:
    >I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    >only their smartphones sold well.

    That matches up with my reaction as a consumer:
    1) What I'm really lusting after is a PDA that does phone
    without compromising graffiti entry and screen size

    2) Maybe moot in light of #1, but the last Palm I bought
    was a TX and it's been troublesome compared to it's
    Sony predecessor...... So Palm isn't that high
    on my list of replacement candidates.
    PeteCresswell

  4. Re: Palm future?

    On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 12:27:15 +0200, Jon Bendtsen wrote:

    > ken wrote:
    >> There has been no update or new products from Pal, other than the Treo
    >> range, for quite a while.
    >> Does it seem as if they will drop everything other than Treo in future?

    > I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    > only their smartphones sold well.

    We'll not mention the fact that they helped poison the PDA market, through
    artificial spin-offs and mediocre products.

    --
    Derek

    "There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who
    hate them." -- Emile Chartier

  5. Re: Palm future?

    In article , x@y.Invalid
    says...
    > Per Jon Bendtsen:
    > >I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    > >only their smartphones sold well.

    > That matches up with my reaction as a consumer:
    > 1) What I'm really lusting after is a PDA that does phone
    > without compromising graffiti entry and screen size

    I don't want a PDA that doubles as a phone until the battery technology
    has improved enormously. The whole point of wirelessness is obviated by
    the necessity to plug the fool thing into the charger every time you
    turn around...

    --
    Kay Shapero
    http://www.kayshapero.net

  6. Re: Palm future?

    Kay Shapero wrote:
    > In article , x@y.Invalid
    > says...
    >> Per Jon Bendtsen:
    >>> I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    >>> only their smartphones sold well.

    >> That matches up with my reaction as a consumer:
    >> 1) What I'm really lusting after is a PDA that does phone
    >> without compromising graffiti entry and screen size
    >>

    > I don't want a PDA that doubles as a phone until the battery technology
    > has improved enormously. The whole point of wirelessness is obviated by
    > the necessity to plug the fool thing into the charger every time you
    > turn around...

    I have a treo 650, and it is not my impression that i need to recharge
    it all the time, i usually only do it once a week. But our usage
    pattern might not be similar, and i have the screen very dimmed.

    JonB

  7. Re: Palm future?

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per Jon Bendtsen:
    >> I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    >> only their smartphones sold well.

    > That matches up with my reaction as a consumer:
    > 1) What I'm really lusting after is a PDA that does phone
    > without compromising graffiti entry and screen size

    I _THINK_ i want something looking like the LifeDrive but with a
    hidden keyboard that can be slided out when i need it.
    But i dunno how usefull i would actually find such a device,
    having to slide out the keyboard often.

    > 2) Maybe moot in light of #1, but the last Palm I bought
    > was a TX and it's been troublesome compared to it's
    > Sony predecessor...... So Palm isn't that high
    > on my list of replacement candidates.

    If i had to buy a PDA today i would probably choose the LifeDrive as i
    find it the prettiest.

    JonB

  8. Re: Palm future?

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >If i had to buy a PDA today i would probably choose the LifeDrive as i
    >find it the prettiest.

    The Life drive is pretty, pretty bigand clunky like the new 80 gig IPOD!
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  9. Re: Palm future?

    In article , noone@example.com says...

    > I have a treo 650, and it is not my impression that i need to recharge
    > it all the time, i usually only do it once a week. But our usage
    > pattern might not be similar, and i have the screen very dimmed.

    I got my PDA (Palm TX - I also have a T3) specifically to read ebooks
    on, and it gets a lot of usage; also I play computer games and music on
    it as well as using it for an appointment calendar and stuff like that
    there. I usually have to charge the thing daily, not that that's all
    that onerous since I plug it into the charger when I connect it to my
    computer. My cell phone needs recharging every three days or so,
    depending on usage. Now I do not turn my PDA on except when I'm using,
    but my cell phone is on most of the time when not turned off for
    meetings or something, so having to have the PDA on all the time would
    presumably increase the drain rate. All in all, not good.

    --
    Kay Shapero
    http://www.kayshapero.net
    Address munged - to email use kay at the domain of my website, above.

  10. Re: Palm future?

    Gil Baron wrote:
    > Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >> If i had to buy a PDA today i would probably choose the LifeDrive as i
    >> find it the prettiest.
    >>

    > The Life drive is pretty, pretty bigand clunky like the new 80 gig IPOD!

    yes, it is rather big, but i already carry a palm treo 650, and thats
    rather big too. And alot other people carry the iPod, so ... there
    probably is a market even if the device is not the smallest.

    JonB

  11. Re: Palm future?

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >yes, it is rather big, but i already carry a palm treo 650, and thats
    >rather big too. And alot other people carry the iPod, so ... there
    >probably is a market even if the device is not the smallest.

    Your choice. The 30 gig pod is about 50% thinner and is significantly lighter than the 80. These are estimates after a quick examination
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  12. Re: Palm future?

    Jon Bendtsen wrote:

    > ken wrote:
    > > There has been no update or new products from Pal, other than the Treo
    > > range, for quite a while.
    > > Does it seem as if they will drop everything other than Treo in future?

    > I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    > only their smartphones sold well.

    Of course people want to bring only /one/ gadget with them. Consequently
    the gadget should combine everything, like:

    Mobile phone with GSM, G3, WiLAN and digital camera.
    PDA.
    DAB and HF radio.
    MP3 and podcasts.

    Unfortunately, Palm Treos lack G3, WiLAN and DAB & FM radio ;-(.

    And the present Treo 700p seem unusable outside the US. So the most
    'modern' one for us Europeans seem to be the Treo 650.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  13. Re: Palm future?

    Palm's produce lifespan is now around 1.5 years.
    That is what it used to be before Sony came to the scene and released new
    products every few months.
    I know that Access Linus Platform will be released in Q1 2007 and probably
    new PDAs (by Palm plus a few Asian makers) will be released by Q1-Q2 2007.
    My hope is that by then, Palm OS will see a revival.

    ""Per Rønne""
    ???????:1ho2dr6.g2xyor2u2aj8N%per@RQNNE.invalid...
    > Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >
    >> ken wrote:
    >> > There has been no update or new products from Pal, other than the Treo
    >> > range, for quite a while.
    >> > Does it seem as if they will drop everything other than Treo in future?

    >> I seem to remember that Palm said that the PDA market was dying and
    >> only their smartphones sold well.

    > Of course people want to bring only /one/ gadget with them. Consequently
    > the gadget should combine everything, like:
    >
    > Mobile phone with GSM, G3, WiLAN and digital camera.
    > PDA.
    > DAB and HF radio.
    > MP3 and podcasts.
    >
    > Unfortunately, Palm Treos lack G3, WiLAN and DAB & FM radio ;-(.
    >
    > And the present Treo 700p seem unusable outside the US. So the most
    > 'modern' one for us Europeans seem to be the Treo 650.
    > --
    > Per Erik Rønne
    > http://www.RQNNE.dk

  14. Re: Palm future?

    "Warren W" wrote:

    >Palm's produce lifespan is now around 1.5 years.
    >That is what it used to be before Sony came to the scene and released new
    >products every few months.
    >I know that Access Linus Platform will be released in Q1 2007 and probably
    >new PDAs (by Palm plus a few Asian makers) will be released by Q1-Q2 2007.
    >My hope is that by then, Palm OS will see a revival.

    I too hoped for a (non-phone) Palm 'classic' style PDA revival but the signs are
    not good. Look in most electronics stores. The Palm displays are much smaller if
    at all what they were just a few years ago.

    For more evidence just look at this Palm newsgroup. The traffic is a fraction of
    what it was just a few years ago and much of what's left is for Palm *phones*,
    not the traditional PDA.

    Bottom line, the general public has fallen out of love with the classic style
    PDA because phones will do most if not all of what they used to want a PDA for.
    And the rest of us don't buy enough to make it worth Palms while. As always the
    market rules...

  15. Re: Palm future?

    Per Warren W:
    >I know that Access Linus Platform

    ??
    --
    PeteCresswell

  16. Re: Palm future?

    Per AaronJ:
    >. The Palm displays are much smaller if
    >at all what they were just a few years ago.
    >
    >For more evidence just look at this Palm newsgroup. The traffic is a fraction of
    >what it was just a few years ago and much of what's left is for Palm *phones*,
    >not the traditional PDA.

    What's the deal with making displays so much smaller for PDA phones?

    Seems like if people are able to carry a PDA of a certain size in their
    pocket/purse, they'd be just a able to carry a PDA/Phone of that size...

    Or am I missing something about the thumbpads?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  17. Re: Palm future?

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:

    > Per AaronJ:
    > >. The Palm displays are much smaller if
    > >at all what they were just a few years ago.
    > >
    > >For more evidence just look at this Palm newsgroup. The traffic is a
    > >fraction of what it was just a few years ago and much of what's left is
    > >for Palm *phones*, not the traditional PDA.

    > What's the deal with making displays so much smaller for PDA phones?
    >
    > Seems like if people are able to carry a PDA of a certain size in their
    > pocket/purse, they'd be just a able to carry a PDA/Phone of that size...
    >
    > Or am I missing something about the thumbpads?

    No. Of course it is an advantage to combine two or more gadgets {pda,
    phone, graph calculator, dab radio, ...} into one gadget. Takes less
    room in your shirt and trouser pockets ...
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  18. Re: Palm future?

    + per@RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne):

    | No. Of course it is an advantage to combine two or more gadgets
    | {pda, phone, graph calculator, dab radio, ...} into one
    | gadget. Takes less room in your shirt and trouser pockets ...

    Absolutely. However, I find PDA sized devices awkward to use as a
    phone. (And phones are too small for anything more than the most
    trivial PDA functionality.) But maybe that can be solved by using a
    bluetooth headset. Then you can also take notes while talking on the
    phone (provided the phone/PDA can multitask), which would be very
    handy. Problem is that BT headsets are easily lost. Also, bluetooth
    tends to eat batteries...

    The other problem with integrating too many gadgets into one is that,
    invariably, you will be dissatisfied with one or more of the
    sub-gadgets of the one supergadget. Which can be alleviated somewhat
    if the supergadget is more like a generic computer, so you can run
    software from different vendors on it to implement the subgadgets.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  19. Re: Palm future?

    Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

    > + per@RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne):
    >
    > | No. Of course it is an advantage to combine two or more gadgets
    > | {pda, phone, graph calculator, dab radio, ...} into one
    > | gadget. Takes less room in your shirt and trouser pockets ...
    >
    > Absolutely. However, I find PDA sized devices awkward to use as a
    > phone. (And phones are too small for anything more than the most
    > trivial PDA functionality.) But maybe that can be solved by using a
    > bluetooth headset. Then you can also take notes while talking on the
    > phone (provided the phone/PDA can multitask), which would be very
    > handy. Problem is that BT headsets are easily lost. Also, bluetooth
    > tends to eat batteries...

    When I purchase a smartphone Treo with G3 and DAB radio, I will
    definitely purchase a bluetooth headset for it too.

    I already use a headset with my Nokia 3410, and with my wireless IP
    telephone back home.

    > The other problem with integrating too many gadgets into one is that,
    > invariably, you will be dissatisfied with one or more of the
    > sub-gadgets of the one supergadget. Which can be alleviated somewhat
    > if the supergadget is more like a generic computer, so you can run
    > software from different vendors on it to implement the subgadgets.

    That is the case with a pda. I just need some extra hardware, like G3
    instead of EvDO, and a DAB radio.

    I've already got DateBk6, powerOne Graph with the Financial add-on
    package, A-lex English-English dictionary and Duden-Oxford
    German-English-German dictionary. Which would run on a Treo as it
    already does on my Palm m130.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  20. Re: Palm future?

    >>>I know that Access Linus Platform

    >> ??
    >>

    >http://www.palmsource.com/index.html
    >click on "Go To The New Access Global Portal", then click "Products".

    I was right. He *did* mean "Linux".
    --
    PeteCresswell

+ Reply to Thread