Palm future? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm future? - Palmtop ; rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote: >Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot, >per@RQNNE.invalid (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_R=F8nne?=) spake unto us, saying: > >>Derek wrote: >> >>> And I have no problem with carrying my m515 and my iPod as well. >> >>If you wear a T-shirt and a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 55 of 55

  1. Re: Palm future?

    rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:

    >Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
    >per@RQNNE.invalid (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_R=F8nne?=) spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >>Derek wrote:
    >>
    >>> And I have no problem with carrying my m515 and my iPod as well.

    >>If you wear a T-shirt and a pair of shorts you don't always have the
    >>necessry number of pockets ...

    >One of the many reasons why I bought a Palm (Abacus) watch. :-)

    So where do you carry your magnifying glass...

  2. Re: Palm future?

    Derek wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:57:47 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:
    >
    > > Derek wrote:
    > >
    > >> And I have no problem with carrying my m515 and my iPod as well.

    > > If you wear a T-shirt and a pair of shorts you don't always have the
    > > necessry number of pockets ...

    > Such wardrobe limitations are not my problem. I rarely wear t-shirts
    > (exercise and manual labor excepted), and all my shorts have at least 6
    > pockets.

    Some of my shorts have two front pockets - and no more. For wallet and
    keys.

    With a short-sleeved shirt with one breast pocket I can have the Palm
    there. And my mobile phone in a holder fastened to a tape placed around
    the neck.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  3. Re: Palm future?

    + per@RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne):

    | With a short-sleeved shirt with one breast pocket I can have the
    | Palm there.

    Then make sure you never bend down to pick something up. Been there,
    done that, no cracked screens yet fortunately.

    | And my mobile phone in a holder fastened to a tape placed around the
    | neck.

    Ick. Oh, you don't mean sticky tape, I hope ... I prefer to have
    such stuff on my belt.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  4. Re: Palm future?

    Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

    > + per@RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne):
    >
    > | With a short-sleeved shirt with one breast pocket I can have the
    > | Palm there.
    >
    > Then make sure you never bend down to pick something up. Been there,
    > done that, no cracked screens yet fortunately.
    >
    > | And my mobile phone in a holder fastened to a tape placed around the
    > | neck.
    >
    > Ick. Oh, you don't mean sticky tape, I hope ... I prefer to have
    > such stuff on my belt.

    Not all trousers have belt loops ... and it doesn't matter whether we
    talk about long or short trousers ...
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  5. Re: Palm future?

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:59:00 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:

    > Derek wrote:

    >>> If you wear a T-shirt and a pair of shorts you don't always have the
    >>> necessry number of pockets ...

    >> Such wardrobe limitations are not my problem. I rarely wear t-shirts
    >> (exercise and manual labor excepted), and all my shorts have at least 6
    >> pockets.

    > Some of my shorts have two front pockets - and no more. For wallet and
    > keys.

    To be clear, I get the point about pocket limitations. I simply don't share
    that experience. Lack of pockets isn't an issue. And when I'm carrying
    multiple items, I'm generally also carrying my satchel/attaché, which will
    hold one or more of them.

    Consolidation simply isn't a draw for me as a customer. Everyone else's
    mileage may vary.

    > With a short-sleeved shirt with one breast pocket I can have the Palm
    > there. And my mobile phone in a holder fastened to a tape placed around
    > the neck.

    Breast pocket placement is how my brother-in-law's Treo took a swim in a
    toilet. Nothing goes in my breast pocket that doesn't clip there or stay
    put by friction (e.g. a piece of paper).

    --
    Derek

    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they
    kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -- Voltaire

  6. Re: Palm future?

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 21:48:45 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:

    > Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
    >
    >> + per@RQNNE.invalid (Per Rønne):
    >>
    >>| With a short-sleeved shirt with one breast pocket I can have the
    >>| Palm there.
    >>
    >> Then make sure you never bend down to pick something up. Been there,
    >> done that, no cracked screens yet fortunately.
    >>
    >>| And my mobile phone in a holder fastened to a tape placed around the
    >>| neck.
    >>
    >> Ick. Oh, you don't mean sticky tape, I hope ... I prefer to have
    >> such stuff on my belt.

    > Not all trousers have belt loops ... and it doesn't matter whether we
    > talk about long or short trousers ...

    That's a "fashion" choice, not really a justification for consolidated
    devices.

    Similarly, all my trousers have belt loops. But the don't doe me a lick of
    good when I'm wearing braces instead of a belt.

    --
    Derek

    "Those who speak most of progress measure it by quantity and not by
    quality." -- George Santayana

  7. Re: Palm future?

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 16:51:06 -0500, Derek wrote:

    > Similarly, all my trousers have belt loops. But the don't doe me a lick of
    > good when I'm wearing braces instead of a belt.

    Cripes! The problem with spell checkers is that they don't attend to
    context. "They" and "do" passed as "the" and "doe."

    --
    Derek

    "There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the
    ceremony known as afternoon tea" -- Henry James

  8. Re: Palm future?

    Derek wrote:

    >Nothing goes in my breast pocket that doesn't clip there or stay
    >put by friction (e.g. a piece of paper).

    I have always carried my Palms in my front pants pocket using no case, and with
    the screen facing in. It makes for a quick retrieval and quick return and I have
    never sustained any screen damage. Course you have to remember to keep the car
    keys out of that pocket...

    I have never had a problem with them falling out of my pants pocket with the old
    rough finished plastic cases (PilotPro thru the m125). But with the newer
    metallic finished Palms (like the Tungsten E, E2 and the Zire 72 after the blue
    rubber paint fell off), they started sliding out of my pocket when I sat down,
    especially in a deep chair or couch. The metallic finish was just too slippery.
    So I've started using a silicon rubber case (still no screen cover) and it
    solved the problem. This method might also work in a shirt pocket. But IMO any
    Palm over 4 ounces is just too heavy for a shirt pocket carry anyway...

  9. Re: Palm future?

    Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
    AaronJ spake unto us, saying:

    >rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    >
    >>One of the many reasons why I bought a Palm (Abacus) watch. :-)

    >So where do you carry your magnifying glass...

    I wear them in a frame in front of my face. :-)

    It does take fairly good light to read things from DB or List (for
    example), but the text isn't *that* hard to read, at least for me...

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  10. Re: Palm future?

    On Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:03:02 -0500, Richard Steiner wrote:

    > Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
    > AaronJ spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >>rsteiner@visi.com (Richard Steiner) wrote:
    >>
    >>>One of the many reasons why I bought a Palm (Abacus) watch. :-)

    >>So where do you carry your magnifying glass...

    > I wear them in a frame in front of my face. :-)
    >
    > It does take fairly good light to read things from DB or List (for
    > example), but the text isn't *that* hard to read, at least for me...

    Hmm. Bifocals as a "converged device." That's a new spin.

    --
    Derek

    "There are 10^11 stars in the galaxy. That used to be a huge number. But
    it's only a hundred billion. It's less than the national deficit! We used
    to call them astronomical numbers. Now we should call them economical
    numbers." -- Richard Feynman, educator and Physicist

  11. Re: Palm future?

    In article , Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
    ]snip] >| My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my
    >| PDA for quite a few years and I find phones need replacing everry 2
    >| or 3 years.
    >
    >At first I thought this was nuts. After all, if you have to replace
    >your phone that often, and it comes with a full-featured PDA built-in,
    >then what's the problem? But then I realized that that you need
    >stability in a PDA. It must be easy to move all your stuff onto the

    [snip]

    the problem PDA+phone approach for me is i always find the screen of PDA/phone
    too small for a PDA yet it is too big for a phone.

    cause for phone i want it small & for a PDA i want big screen (for ebook
    reading, etc). plus there's battery life issue.

    so i still carry separate devices (Tx & Nokia).

    regards,

    Gee

    I hated the sunsets of whatever colour, I hated its beauty and its
    magic and the secret I would never know. I hated its indifference and
    the cruelty which was part of its loveliness.

    --- Jean Rhys, Wide Sargossa Sea

  12. Re: Palm future?

    phk wrote:
    > In article , Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
    > ]snip] >| My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my
    >> | PDA for quite a few years and I find phones need replacing everry 2
    >> | or 3 years.
    >>
    >> At first I thought this was nuts. After all, if you have to replace
    >> your phone that often, and it comes with a full-featured PDA built-in,
    >> then what's the problem? But then I realized that that you need
    >> stability in a PDA. It must be easy to move all your stuff onto the

    > [snip]
    >
    > the problem PDA+phone approach for me is i always find the screen of PDA/phone
    > too small for a PDA yet it is too big for a phone.

    It is surely too small for a PDA, but i like being able to see lots of
    data.

    > cause for phone i want it small & for a PDA i want big screen (for ebook
    > reading, etc). plus there's battery life issue.
    >
    > so i still carry separate devices (Tx & Nokia).

    I carry a treo 650 all the time, and when i need it i have a Nokia 770
    for surfing. Thats the smallest PDA with the biggest screen 4.13" and
    biggest resolution 800x480 i was able to find. Further more it has a
    physical fullscreen button and zoom buttons. I also bought the GPS for
    the nokia 770, to get the big screen. I have not tried GPS for Palm.

    JonB

  13. Re: Palm future?

    In article , Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >> cause for phone i want it small & for a PDA i want big screen (for ebook
    >> reading, etc). plus there's battery life issue.
    >>
    >> so i still carry separate devices (Tx & Nokia).

    >I carry a treo 650 all the time, and when i need it i have a Nokia 770
    >for surfing. Thats the smallest PDA with the biggest screen 4.13" and

    >[snip] bought the GPS for
    >the nokia 770, to get the big screen. I have not tried GPS for Palm.

    is nokia 770 also a phone? it looks pretty big & nice. how about the battery?

    i have stand-alone GPS units. my old Visor neo turned into a GPS unit. but
    the most often used one is a Garmin car GPS.

    bye now,

    Gee

    I hated the sunsets of whatever colour, I hated its beauty and its
    magic and the secret I would never know. I hated its indifference and
    the cruelty which was part of its loveliness.

    --- Jean Rhys, Wide Sargossa Sea

  14. Re: Palm future?

    In article <5511o29qu6iptt4n9v40ccr44ccs3js4j9@4ax.com>, DevilsPGD wrote:
    [snip]
    >Oddly enough my Treo 650's screen is smaller then my g/f's blackberry...
    >I like the BB form factor better, but the Treo is still a much more
    >functional unit overall.
    >
    >>cause for phone i want it small & for a PDA i want big screen (for ebook
    >>reading, etc). plus there's battery life issue.
    >>
    >>so i still carry separate devices (Tx & Nokia).

    >I do too -- A Palm Treo 650, and a bluetooth headset. The best of both
    >worlds, and still only two devices.

    i have 3 devices (nokia, Tx & BT earbug) if i add a GPS, that makes it
    4. it's pretty geeky. :-) but the thing is i don't always carry all of
    them. e.g., i only take nokia when i go to the gym. sometime i just Tx &
    nokia when i don't need to talk on the phone.

    i found Treo 650 too "big" as a phone, yet in the mean time the screen is "too
    small", if you understand what i mean. LOL.

    the main problem is the keyboard take up 1/3 of the space. i think if they
    want to make such a bulky unit, they might as well take advantage of the space
    & make the screen big. I like big screens; my eyes are not very good. YMMV.

    bye now,

    Gee

    I hated the sunsets of whatever colour, I hated its beauty and its
    magic and the secret I would never know. I hated its indifference and
    the cruelty which was part of its loveliness.

    --- Jean Rhys, Wide Sargossa Sea

  15. Re: Palm future?

    phk wrote:
    > In article , Jon Bendtsen wrote:
    >>> cause for phone i want it small & for a PDA i want big screen (for ebook
    >>> reading, etc). plus there's battery life issue.
    >>>
    >>> so i still carry separate devices (Tx & Nokia).

    >> I carry a treo 650 all the time, and when i need it i have a Nokia 770
    >> for surfing. Thats the smallest PDA with the biggest screen 4.13" and

    >> [snip] bought the GPS for
    >> the nokia 770, to get the big screen. I have not tried GPS for Palm.

    > is nokia 770 also a phone? it looks pretty big & nice. how about the battery?

    no i'm afraid it is just a PDA made especially for browsing and email.
    They call it an "internet tablet". There is no calender and no
    contacts program, though you can find 3. party programs.

    The battery runs for a long time, but the CPU is ... not the fastest.

    JonB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3