Palm future? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm future? - Palmtop ; I guess I am outvoted on all this. My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my PDA for quite a few years and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years. So I'd ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55

  1. Re: Palm future?

    I guess I am outvoted on all this.
    My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my PDA
    for quite a few years
    and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years. So I'd be happy
    carrying two.
    But then, I started with the Sharp Wizard PDA so maybe I am real out of
    date.
    Leaving Palm, then any opinions on the best current PDA? I want
    calendar, address lists etc plus the ability to sync with my Mac.
    I wonder if my Wizard still works????

  2. Re: Palm future?

    What's preventing you from using a T/X? It does everything you need.

    - Chris

    --
    (. .)
    =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

  3. Re: Palm future?

    + "ken" :

    | I guess I am outvoted on all this.

    I wasn't aware we were having a vote ... Except the marketplace seems
    to have a mind of its own, and if what it (meaning the majority of
    customers) wants differs from what you want then you just may be out
    of luck.

    | My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my
    | PDA for quite a few years and I find phones need replacing everry 2
    | or 3 years.

    At first I thought this was nuts. After all, if you have to replace
    your phone that often, and it comes with a full-featured PDA built-in,
    then what's the problem? But then I realized that that you need
    stability in a PDA. It must be easy to move all your stuff onto the
    next one, and you want the modes of usage to be sufficiently similar
    that you don't have to relearn how to use your PDA every couple of
    years. It's painful enough to learn a new phone, even if all you want
    is to dial calls and keep an address book.

    Ironically, I am now on my third Palm device, after I got my first one
    in 1999. But at least they are all nearly identical in use. The
    latest switch came because I could no longer rely on serial ports for
    syncing, or I'd still be on #2. Now that I have working USB and
    bluetooth, I hope I can hang on to this one for longer than its
    predecessors.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  4. Re: Palm future?

    Per ken:
    >and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.

    How come? Keyboard wears out?
    --
    PeteCresswell

  5. Re: Palm future?

    "ken" wrote:

    > I want to use my PDA
    >for quite a few years
    >and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years. So I'd be happy
    >carrying two.

    You do make a good point..... that cell phones get more
    wear and seem to wear out faster.....and that more
    likely to have to replace it often.

  6. Re: Palm future?

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per ken:
    > >and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.

    > How come? Keyboard wears out?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Drop them or something fails and I find it cheaper to get a new one (on
    contract) than get it replaced.
    I guess the phone makers incent the carriers to keep their customers up
    to date.
    Last time I got a new phone I wanted one without a camera - which i
    never use. The dealer found one of "last year's model" without a camera
    in a drawer that he let me have...

  7. Re: Palm future?

    (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > Per ken:
    > >and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.

    > How come? Keyboard wears out?
    > --
    > PeteCresswell

    Drop them or something fails and I find it cheaper to get a new one (on
    contract) than get it repaired.
    I guess the phone makers incent the carriers to keep their customers up
    to date.
    Last time I got a new phone I wanted one without a camera - which i
    never use. The dealer found one of "last year's model" without a camera
    in a drawer that he let me have...

  8. Re: Palm future?

    In article ,
    Chris McMahan wrote:

    > What's preventing you from using a T/X? It does everything you need.
    >
    > - Chris
    >
    > "ken" writes:
    >
    > > I guess I am outvoted on all this.
    > > My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my PDA
    > > for quite a few years
    > > and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years. So I'd be happy
    > > carrying two.
    > > But then, I started with the Sharp Wizard PDA so maybe I am real out of
    > > date.
    > > Leaving Palm, then any opinions on the best current PDA? I want
    > > calendar, address lists etc plus the ability to sync with my Mac.
    > > I wonder if my Wizard still works????

    With those stated needs, you would do fine with a Z22 but then you did
    add that "etc" ...

  9. Re: Palm future?

    Per ken:
    >Drop them or something fails

    That's new concept to me. I've been lusting after a single device just for the
    convenience of only having one object in my pocket or on my belt. In light of
    what you observed, I think that idea's pretty much gone out the window for
    me....

    Also, vis-a-vis replacements: you want cheap? Find a phone recycling bin
    somewhere and rummage through it. Nokias are the easiest to unlock... and the
    price is definitely right.

    --
    PeteCresswell

  10. Re: Palm future?

    "ken" wrote:

    >Drop them or something fails and I find it cheaper to get a new one (on
    >contract) than get it replaced.

    Another thing that keeps me from going to a converged
    device is that I live in a rural area and it's dang
    hard to find a carrier locally that even CARRIS a combo
    phone/PDA

  11. Re: Palm future?

    + "ken" :

    | (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    |> Per ken:
    |> >and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.
    |>
    |> How come? Keyboard wears out?

    Happened to me once, though it was replaced at the manufacturer's
    cost. Known problem with that model. Anyway, I also find I replace
    my phones every 2-3 years, for various reasons. For those who thrive
    on anecdotal evidence, here's my list of phones (purchase date, model
    reason for switching):

    1995-02-17 Ericsson GH337
    Became unreliable. Dusty inside, dust attracted moisture
    according to service tech.
    1998-04-15 Ericsson GF768
    Short battery life. But hey, my wife still uses it!
    2001-07-04 Nokia 6210
    Got a 12in Mac powerbook, needed bluetooth.
    2003-07-18 Siemens S55
    Started turning itself off while charging. Various
    bluetooth problems. I keep it as a spare phone though.
    2006-06-06 Benq-Siemens S68
    Still in use. (Needs a software upgrade, lots of bugs, but
    it works so long as I restart it once in a while.)

    This is probably not untypical: A combination of technical issues and
    improved technology keeps you upgrading frequently. My next upgrade
    will probably be to a UMTS phone. Of course, many of the same issues
    keep people upgrading PDAs: Bluetooth, battery life, memory, screen
    quality come to mind.

    | The dealer found one of "last year's model" without a camera
    | in a drawer that he let me have...

    Did he let you have the phone too, or just the drawer?

    All my phones have been cameraless, and I intend to keep it that way.

    --
    * Harald Hanche-Olsen
    -- Bertrand Russell

  12. Re: Palm future?

    In article <1162864097.693253.55970@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    kwn@killcare.com says...

    > Last time I got a new phone I wanted one without a camera - which i
    > never use. The dealer found one of "last year's model" without a camera
    > in a drawer that he let me have...

    They keep that up and they WILL have a problem with a lot of engineers
    and the like who work in secure facilities. Frequently they don't mind
    cell phones, especially if they're shielded against calls (you bring it
    in because it beats leaving it in a hot car all day; and you WANT it
    after work), but cameras are Right Out. Give the cell phone the ability
    to easily communicate with the computers in the manner of a thumb drive
    or the like, and that may rule it out too.

    One big problem with a multi-function tool is that when something
    happens to it, or one of the functions means you aren't allowed to have
    the thing with you at all, you lose access to ALL of the other functions
    in one go.

    --
    Kay Shapero
    http://www.kayshapero.net

  13. Re: Palm future?

    ken wrote:

    > I guess I am outvoted on all this.
    > My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my PDA
    > for quite a few years
    > and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.

    Why? After all, proper mobile phones don't go to pieces after only two
    years.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  14. Re: Palm future?

    On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:04:00 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:

    > ken wrote:
    >
    >> I guess I am outvoted on all this.
    >> My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my PDA
    >> for quite a few years
    >> and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.

    > Why? After all, proper mobile phones don't go to pieces after only two
    > years.

    True, but within two years of buying my first Verizon cell phone, they
    offered EVDO. What'll they implement before the second birthday of my
    current cell phone?

    --
    Derek

    "I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers."
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

  15. Re: Palm future?

    In article , Derek wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:04:00 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:
    >
    > > ken wrote:
    > >
    > >> I guess I am outvoted on all this.
    > >> My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my PDA
    > >> for quite a few years
    > >> and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.

    > > Why? After all, proper mobile phones don't go to pieces after only two
    > > years.

    > True, but within two years of buying my first Verizon cell phone, they
    > offered EVDO. What'll they implement before the second birthday of my
    > current cell phone?

    The turnover rate in the U.S. is 18 months for mobile phones. It's
    faster in other parts of the world.

    Somehow I don't think the turnover rate has much to do with new
    technologies.

  16. Re: Palm future?

    Derek wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:04:00 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:
    >
    > > ken wrote:
    > >
    > >> I guess I am outvoted on all this.
    > >> My problem with multi-purposes devices is that eg I want to use my PDA
    > >> for quite a few years
    > >> and I find phones need replacing everry 2 or 3 years.

    > > Why? After all, proper mobile phones don't go to pieces after only two
    > > years.

    > True, but within two years of buying my first Verizon cell phone, they
    > offered EVDO. What'll they implement before the second birthday of my
    > current cell phone?

    EvDO which is unusable outside the U.S. Worldwide we use G3 if we need
    it. I still use a cheap gsm phone, Nokia 3410, after I had my old Nokia
    3210's screen destroyed in a minor traffic accident {I fell on my
    bicycle}.

    I only use my mobile phone for telephone calls and occasional sms
    messages. But it is quite annoying to have to have two extra gadgets in
    my pockets: my Palm m130 and a tiny radio.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  17. Re: Palm future?

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 09:57:40 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:

    > Derek wrote:

    >>> Why? After all, proper mobile phones don't go to pieces after only two
    >>> years.

    >> True, but within two years of buying my first Verizon cell phone, they
    >> offered EVDO. What'll they implement before the second birthday of my
    >> current cell phone?

    > EvDO which is unusable outside the U.S. Worldwide we use G3 if we need
    > it. I still use a cheap gsm phone, Nokia 3410, after I had my old Nokia
    > 3210's screen destroyed in a minor traffic accident {I fell on my
    > bicycle}.

    Availability of EVDO outside the US isn't the point. The point was that new
    features can be offered within a 2-year contract period rendering an
    existing phone "obsolete."

    > I only use my mobile phone for telephone calls and occasional sms
    > messages. But it is quite annoying to have to have two extra gadgets in
    > my pockets: my Palm m130 and a tiny radio.

    I only use my mobile phone for calls and the occasional game of Tetris. I
    don't even do SMS. And I have no problem with carrying my m515 and my iPod
    as well. It's all a matter of preferences.

    --
    Derek

    "Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from
    disinclination to do so." -- Douglas Adams ("Last Chance to See")

  18. Re: Palm future?

    Derek wrote:

    > And I have no problem with carrying my m515 and my iPod as well.

    If you wear a T-shirt and a pair of shorts you don't always have the
    necessry number of pockets ...
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

  19. Re: Palm future?

    Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
    per@RQNNE.invalid (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Per_R=F8nne?=) spake unto us, saying:

    >Derek wrote:
    >
    >> And I have no problem with carrying my m515 and my iPod as well.

    >If you wear a T-shirt and a pair of shorts you don't always have the
    >necessry number of pockets ...

    One of the many reasons why I bought a Palm (Abacus) watch. :-)

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  20. Re: Palm future?

    On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:57:47 +0100, Per Rønne wrote:

    > Derek wrote:
    >
    >> And I have no problem with carrying my m515 and my iPod as well.

    > If you wear a T-shirt and a pair of shorts you don't always have the
    > necessry number of pockets ...

    Such wardrobe limitations are not my problem. I rarely wear t-shirts
    (exercise and manual labor excepted), and all my shorts have at least 6
    pockets.

    --
    Derek

    "A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of
    five." -- Groucho Marx