Docs2Go v9 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Docs2Go v9 - Palmtop ; Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to open ...

  1. Docs2Go v9

    Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    open or change pages with v 8.003.

    TIA

    Doug Hoffman

  2. Re: Docs2Go v9

    Hi,

    dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    > compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    > the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    > open or change pages with v 8.003.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

    V9 is exceptionally better in handling native files. It is really a big
    improvement over V8. Other things are, in my taste, not so perfect
    (small font difficult to read, opening big files in SheetsToGo sometimes
    fails).

    As for PDFToGo, I think it's faster, but I didn't measure.

    You should download the evaluation version, still the best way to see by
    yourself ;-)

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  3. Re: Docs2Go v9

    dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    > compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    > the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    > open or change pages with v 8.003.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

    This is definitely a worthwhile update. Both performance and stability
    have improved, and the extra features will actually be useful to me.
    Incidentally, the structure of the installation is quite different from
    that of V7 and V8, so there may well be a few orphan files left hanging
    around in RAM (or on the card), depending upon how you went about
    deleting the older version - I saved a couple of MB by checking
    manually with Filez and deleting as appropriate.

    John

  4. Re: Docs2Go v9

    "Kia Kaha" wrote in message
    news:1161855559.802701.307110@f16g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...

    > dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    >> Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    >> compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    >> the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    >> open or change pages with v 8.003.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Doug Hoffman

    > This is definitely a worthwhile update. Both performance and stability
    > have improved, and the extra features will actually be useful to me.
    > Incidentally, the structure of the installation is quite different from
    > that of V7 and V8, so there may well be a few orphan files left hanging
    > around in RAM (or on the card), depending upon how you went about
    > deleting the older version - I saved a couple of MB by checking
    > manually with Filez and deleting as appropriate.
    >
    > John

    I'm not so keen. Formatting is retained, which is nice, and one Excel file
    that would never load under previous versions now does. On the other hand, a
    perfectly normal Excel file isn't recognised by v9, and syncing takes much
    longer now eg I added a few lines to an 8mb Word to Go file, and it took
    fully 5 minutes to update it. A Word file that has graphics embedded in it
    won't load at all (or at least, I gave up after it been apparently frozen
    for 30 minutes). It also takes longer to display files.

    So, it's prettier, but I'm about to reinstall v8

    Alan

  5. Re: Docs2Go v9

    Laurent Bugnion wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > > Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    > > compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    > > the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    > > open or change pages with v 8.003.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Doug Hoffman

    > V9 is exceptionally better in handling native files. It is really a big
    > improvement over V8. Other things are, in my taste, not so perfect
    > (small font difficult to read, opening big files in SheetsToGo sometimes
    > fails).
    >
    > As for PDFToGo, I think it's faster, but I didn't measure.
    >
    > You should download the evaluation version, still the best way to see by
    > yourself ;-)

    Good advice. It appears that the PDF module of v9 is no faster than
    v8.003 (both are painfully slow).

    Also, after installing v9 I found that I could no longer open any of my
    v8 Excel or Word files. Visiting the Dataviz online help provided the
    solution. Uninstall v9, re-install v8, convert all of your files to
    native Excel/Word. Finally re-install v9. !!

    Also, v9 does not support Appleworks file conversion. v8.003 does.

    Final blow. Version 9 still limits the clipboard size to something
    very small. Clipboard enhancement utilities like ClipPRO are still not
    compatible. So importing and exporting text is still a pain with v9.
    Looks like I'm sticking with v8.003.

    Doug Hoffman

  6. Re: Docs2Go v9

    dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    >ompatible. So importing and exporting text is still a pain with v9.
    >Looks like I'm sticking with v8.003.
    >
    >Doug Hoffman

    PDF ON A PDA is a sort WIBNI and it will be many years before a PDA can handle the huge resource drain. Even worse is the tiny unreadale font you get if you read the full page but magnified you suffer the scrolling crawl. Not worth it and niether is the cost of upgrading.
    DTG still blows away Wordsmith though.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  7. Re: Docs2Go v9

    Gil Baron wrote:

    > PDF ON A PDA is a sort WIBNI and it will be many years before a PDA can handle the huge resource drain. Even worse is the tiny unreadale font you get if you read the full page but magnified you suffer the scrolling crawl.

    > Not worth it and niether is the cost of upgrading.

    Agreed.

    > DTG still blows away Wordsmith though.

    Agreed.

    Doug Hoffman

  8. Re: Docs2Go v9

    dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    > compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    > the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    > open or change pages with v 8.003.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

    Dataviz claims this to be one of the upgrade improvements, and I've
    found this to be true. PDF files open faster in v.9.

  9. Re: Docs2Go v9

    Kevin wrote:
    > dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > > Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    > > compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    > > the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    > > open or change pages with v 8.003.
    > >
    > > TIA
    > >
    > > Doug Hoffman

    > Dataviz claims this to be one of the upgrade improvements, and I've
    > found this to be true. PDF files open faster in v.9.

    That's strange. I performed some careful timing tests on two large pdf
    files, including opening and going to another page, and could not
    detect a difference between v8.003 and the demo of v9. I wonder if the
    "real" non-demo v9 is different in this respect? (Side note: Please
    note that I am not making any assumptions about anything here and
    certainly do not mean to imply that you or anyone else are at all
    ignorant of anything or imply anything else that may seem unfriendly.
    My only intent, as with all of my similar posts, is to try to help
    others in an expedient manner.)

    Doug Hoffman

  10. Re: Docs2Go v9

    dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > Kevin wrote:
    > > dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > > > Has anyone tried version 9 yet? If so, what is your impression of it
    > > > compared to version 8.003? I am especially interested in knowing if
    > > > the speed of the PDF module has been improved. It is painfully slow to
    > > > open or change pages with v 8.003.
    > > >
    > > > TIA
    > > >
    > > > Doug Hoffman

    > > Dataviz claims this to be one of the upgrade improvements, and I've
    > > found this to be true. PDF files open faster in v.9.

    > That's strange. I performed some careful timing tests on two large pdf
    > files, including opening and going to another page, and could not
    > detect a difference between v8.003 and the demo of v9. I wonder if the
    > "real" non-demo v9 is different in this respect? (Side note: Please
    > note that I am not making any assumptions about anything here and
    > certainly do not mean to imply that you or anyone else are at all
    > ignorant of anything or imply anything else that may seem unfriendly.
    > My only intent, as with all of my similar posts, is to try to help
    > others in an expedient manner.)
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

    I didn't perform any tests, but pdf's seem to be opening quicker on my
    TX. And, as I mentioned, Dataviz is claiming that faster opening PDF's
    is one of the improvements in v.9. My comment is only based on this,
    not on any actual comparison tests.

    If there is an improvement in speed, I don't think it's a major
    difference. It sure seems a bit faster to me, but I can't verify if
    Dataviz's claim is actually true.

  11. Re: Docs2Go v9

    When I performed my timing tests I started the timer at the moment I
    tapped the pdf file to be opened. Stopped the timer when open was
    complete. Using a 2.8 MB pdf file it took 30 seconds to open using
    either version of D2G. One difference I did notice is that with v9
    there was a rather long time spent with a blank screen before the thin
    horizontal rectangle appeared. So the time spent staring at the thin
    horizontal rectangle was considerably less with v9 (possibly giving the
    impression of a quicker opening time?), but the actual time from tap to
    open was unchanged. Treo 700p as test machine.

    Doug Hoffman

+ Reply to Thread