What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5 - Palmtop ; I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon system. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me
    to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about
    decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon
    system.

    Alas, from what I've read on the Palm forums, it seems that the LG line
    of phones are not supported by Palm, and therefore, I would not be able
    to connect via bluetooth to the LG VX5300 as I had planned. Also, I
    don't see LG as support on the Palm web page nor on my device list on
    the Tungsten.

    First, does anyone know of a way to connect a Tungsten T5 to an LG
    phone via bluetooth?

    Second, I would appreciate anyone who could suggest a current phone and
    wireless provider that would allow access from my T5 via bluetooth for
    email and internet access (I prefer Verizon, Sprint, other in that
    order).

    Thanks,

    Bill Levenson

  2. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    wrote in message
    news:1161580876.867702.273200@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...

    [snip]

    > Second, I would appreciate anyone who could suggest a current phone and
    > wireless provider that would allow access from my T5 via bluetooth for
    > email and internet access (I prefer Verizon, Sprint, other in that
    > order).

    Have you had a look at the network options in the T5 itself, which suggests
    a number of handsets. Do you use any other wireless accessories, such as a
    headset? This makes a difference. Some handsets are happier to switch
    between Bluetooth devices compared with others.

    As far as the network goes, I'm assuming you mean North American networks?
    My favourite way is to buy an unlocked and typically used handset and then
    select the most suitable network.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  3. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:21:16 -0500, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote
    (in article <1161580876.867702.273200@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>):

    > I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me
    > to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about
    > decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon
    > system.

    I've tethered my T5 and LifeDrive to my Nokia 6682 despite the fact that the
    phone isn't officially supported - just put on the Phone patch (and make sure
    all the other patches are on) and use IIRC the Other selection (the one you
    use if your phone isn't officially supported).

    Since you already have the T5, it costs you nothing to try.

    You might want to tether your laptop or PC or whatever if it's got bluetooth
    just to verify it works (the LG's tethering) before knocking yourself out
    getting your Palm to work.

  4. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    Thanks, Verne, for the response.

    I'm not familiar with "IIRC". I'm assuming that the brand names
    supported by the T5 (e.g., Nokia, Motorola, etc.) would be more likely
    to work even if the specific model number isn't shown on the T5 menu.

    My problem is the two brands I was considering, LG and Samsung, don't
    appear on the menu in the T5, so I suspect they won't work. Bummer. It
    sure seems odd that Palm would not support these major suppliers!?!?

    It's good to know that if I find a Nokia I like, it might work. But,
    your comment about it costing me nothing to try, I don't understand. I
    have to buy a phone. If it doesn't work, I'm out of luck.

    Thanks again,

    Bill

    Verne Arase wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:21:16 -0500, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote
    > (in article <1161580876.867702.273200@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.c om>):
    >
    > > I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me
    > > to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about
    > > decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon
    > > system.

    > I've tethered my T5 and LifeDrive to my Nokia 6682 despite the fact that the
    > phone isn't officially supported - just put on the Phone patch (and make sure
    > all the other patches are on) and use IIRC the Other selection (the one you
    > use if your phone isn't officially supported).
    >
    > Since you already have the T5, it costs you nothing to try.
    >
    > You might want to tether your laptop or PC or whatever if it's got bluetooth
    > just to verify it works (the LG's tethering) before knocking yourself out
    > getting your Palm to work.

  5. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:31:28 -0500, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote
    (in article <1161635488.418700.214810@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>):

    > I'm not familiar with "IIRC". I'm assuming that the brand names
    > supported by the T5 (e.g., Nokia, Motorola, etc.) would be more likely
    > to work even if the specific model number isn't shown on the T5 menu.
    >
    > My problem is the two brands I was considering, LG and Samsung, don't
    > appear on the menu in the T5, so I suspect they won't work. Bummer. It
    > sure seems odd that Palm would not support these major suppliers!?!?

    Well, I'm not at all sure that it's supporting a generic Nokia - rather it
    may simply be supporting a generic GPRS modem.

    Check around here (and at Howard Forums) to see if anyone's tethering off the
    phone you want to buy.

  6. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:21:16 -0700, ss8wjl wrote:

    > I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me
    > to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about
    > decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon
    > system.
    >
    > Alas, from what I've read on the Palm forums, it seems that the LG line
    > of phones are not supported by Palm, and therefore, I would not be able
    > to connect via bluetooth to the LG VX5300 as I had planned. Also, I
    > don't see LG as support on the Palm web page nor on my device list on
    > the Tungsten.
    >
    > First, does anyone know of a way to connect a Tungsten T5 to an LG
    > phone via bluetooth?
    >
    > Second, I would appreciate anyone who could suggest a current phone and
    > wireless provider that would allow access from my T5 via bluetooth for
    > email and internet access (I prefer Verizon, Sprint, other in that
    > order).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bill Levenson

    Why don't you just get a Treo 700p and throw the T5 away. The 700p gives
    you a phone and a Palm in a single device. It also has Bluetooth and EVDO.
    EVDO gives you fast net access. If you can live with slow net access then
    you could get a Treo 650, CompUSA was selling those for $50 last weekend.

  7. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    I seem to be in the minority, but I'd like a PDA that is just a PDA,
    and a phone that is just a phone. It would be a real benefit if,
    occasionally, I could get the phone to talk to the PDA and allow email
    and internet access. It would only be occasionally, but on those
    occasions it would really be nice.

    If I get a combined unit (pda/cell phone/data access) it would put it
    all in one "box", which sounds convenient. Admittedly, I haven't used
    one, but it seems like the combined unit would give me a poor version
    of a PDA along with a poor version of a cell phone.

    Thanks, though, maybe I'll take another look at the all-in-one.

    Bill

    P.S. I also have separate components in my home stereo system ;-)

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:21:16 -0700, ss8wjl wrote:
    >
    > > I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me
    > > to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about
    > > decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon
    > > system.
    > >
    > > Alas, from what I've read on the Palm forums, it seems that the LG line
    > > of phones are not supported by Palm, and therefore, I would not be able
    > > to connect via bluetooth to the LG VX5300 as I had planned. Also, I
    > > don't see LG as support on the Palm web page nor on my device list on
    > > the Tungsten.
    > >
    > > First, does anyone know of a way to connect a Tungsten T5 to an LG
    > > phone via bluetooth?
    > >
    > > Second, I would appreciate anyone who could suggest a current phone and
    > > wireless provider that would allow access from my T5 via bluetooth for
    > > email and internet access (I prefer Verizon, Sprint, other in that
    > > order).
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bill Levenson

    > Why don't you just get a Treo 700p and throw the T5 away. The 700p gives
    > you a phone and a Palm in a single device. It also has Bluetooth and EVDO.
    > EVDO gives you fast net access. If you can live with slow net access then
    > you could get a Treo 650, CompUSA was selling those for $50 last weekend.

  8. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    wrote in message
    news:1161663954.597001.13700@h48g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    >> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:21:16 -0700, ss8wjl wrote:
    >>
    >> > I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me
    >> > to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about
    >> > decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon
    >> > system.
    >> >
    >> > Alas, from what I've read on the Palm forums, it seems that the LG line
    >> > of phones are not supported by Palm, and therefore, I would not be able
    >> > to connect via bluetooth to the LG VX5300 as I had planned. Also, I
    >> > don't see LG as support on the Palm web page nor on my device list on
    >> > the Tungsten.
    >> >
    >> > First, does anyone know of a way to connect a Tungsten T5 to an LG
    >> > phone via bluetooth?
    >> >
    >> > Second, I would appreciate anyone who could suggest a current phone and
    >> > wireless provider that would allow access from my T5 via bluetooth for
    >> > email and internet access (I prefer Verizon, Sprint, other in that
    >> > order).
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >

    >> Why don't you just get a Treo 700p and throw the T5 away. The 700p gives
    >> you a phone and a Palm in a single device. It also has Bluetooth and
    >> EVDO.
    >> EVDO gives you fast net access. If you can live with slow net access then
    >> you could get a Treo 650, CompUSA was selling those for $50 last weekend.

    >I seem to be in the minority, but I'd like a PDA that is just a PDA,
    > and a phone that is just a phone. It would be a real benefit if,
    > occasionally, I could get the phone to talk to the PDA and allow email
    > and internet access. It would only be occasionally, but on those
    > occasions it would really be nice.
    >
    > If I get a combined unit (pda/cell phone/data access) it would put it
    > all in one "box", which sounds convenient. Admittedly, I haven't used
    > one, but it seems like the combined unit would give me a poor version
    > of a PDA along with a poor version of a cell phone.
    >
    > Thanks, though, maybe I'll take another look at the all-in-one.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > P.S. I also have separate components in my home stereo system ;-)

    It's worth considering. My issue with the Treo range is that they have a
    thumbboard and I detest these wretched things. The winning combination for
    me is Graffiti and an optional full size, *hardware* connected keyboard. I
    cannot always use a Bluetooth wireless keyboard...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  9. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    On 22 Oct 2006 22:21:16 -0700, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote:

    >I've been shopping for a new bluetooth enabled phone that will allow me
    >to tether my Tungsten T5 for internet and email access. I'd just about
    >decided on the LG VX5300; a simple phone with bluetooth on the Verizon
    >system.
    >
    >Alas, from what I've read on the Palm forums, it seems that the LG line
    >of phones are not supported by Palm, and therefore, I would not be able
    >to connect via bluetooth to the LG VX5300 as I had planned. Also, I
    >don't see LG as support on the Palm web page nor on my device list on
    >the Tungsten.
    >
    >First, does anyone know of a way to connect a Tungsten T5 to an LG
    >phone via bluetooth?
    >
    >Second, I would appreciate anyone who could suggest a current phone and
    >wireless provider that would allow access from my T5 via bluetooth for
    >email and internet access (I prefer Verizon, Sprint, other in that
    >order).

    Bill - I use my Palm T|X with a Nokia 6256i on the Verizon
    network, through the T|X does not officially support the
    this Nokia phone. I just set the profile for "Standard GSM"
    and entered the appropriate Init strings to set the phone in
    1x mode. Which does bring up another question - which mode
    are you planning to use - 1x, which does not require a data
    plan, or the faster EVDO, which does?

    I would suggest asking your question at
    http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com. When I needed a new
    Verizon phone last January to replace my aging StarTac, that
    is where I discovered which Verizon phones supported the
    features I needed and also which Init strings I needed to
    get my Nokia into 1x mode.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  10. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    Thanks, Vic, for the info. It is encouraging that you can successfully
    use the Nokia 6256i on Verizon. It does confuse me a bit, though,
    because the chart from Bluetooth Functionality Chart from the Verizon
    website says the 6256i does NOT support Bluetooth DUN. I guess that
    reflects the reliability of the information from Verizon.

    As to the 1x or EVDO, I plan on using 1x or even Q2N without a data
    plan, since my needs for email/internet access from the T5 via the
    phone will be only occasional.

    And, I'll post to wireless advisor as you suggested. But, since you've
    successfully done it, could you share with me the process (I'm new to
    this). I may just get the 6256i since it sounds like that one will
    work. I had my eye on the LG VX5300, but how can I be sure it will
    work? I guess I could go into a Verizon store or Circuit City and see
    if they will let me try it out.

    Thanks again for the info.

    Bill

    > Bill - I use my Palm T|X with a Nokia 6256i on the Verizon
    > network, through the T|X does not officially support the
    > this Nokia phone. I just set the profile for "Standard GSM"
    > and entered the appropriate Init strings to set the phone in
    > 1x mode. Which does bring up another question - which mode
    > are you planning to use - 1x, which does not require a data
    > plan, or the faster EVDO, which does?
    >
    > I would suggest asking your question at
    > http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com. When I needed a new
    > Verizon phone last January to replace my aging StarTac, that
    > is where I discovered which Verizon phones supported the
    > features I needed and also which Init strings I needed to
    > get my Nokia into 1x mode.
    >
    > --
    > Vic Roberts
    > Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  11. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    DervMan wrote:

    > My issue with the Treo range is that they have a
    > thumbboard and I detest these wretched things. The winning combination for
    > me is Graffiti and an optional full size, *hardware* connected keyboard. I
    > cannot always use a Bluetooth wireless keyboard...

    I use Graffiti all the time on my 700p via the write-anywhere feature
    of TealScript. There may be other ways to do this. I find it is
    usually faster than the thumboard. I also have large hands which makes
    the thumboard a bit difficult for me to use. But sometimes the
    thumboard works better for unusual characters.

    Re: full size keyboard. Does the infrared wireless keyboard not work
    with a Treo?

    Doug Hoffman

  12. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    On 24 Oct 2006 11:44:20 -0700, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote:

    >Thanks, Vic, for the info. It is encouraging that you can successfully
    >use the Nokia 6256i on Verizon. It does confuse me a bit, though,
    >because the chart from Bluetooth Functionality Chart from the Verizon
    >website says the 6256i does NOT support Bluetooth DUN. I guess that
    >reflects the reliability of the information from Verizon.

    I hadn't noticed that the Verizon Wireless Bluetooth chart
    says that the 6256i doesn't support Bluetooth DUN :-) When
    I purchased my phone the 6256i was not listed on the VzW
    Bluetooth chart but the folks at wirelessadvisor assured me
    it would work. I think I had to enter a command from the
    keypad once to activate the DUN.

    >As to the 1x or EVDO, I plan on using 1x or even Q2N without a data
    >plan, since my needs for email/internet access from the T5 via the
    >phone will be only occasional.
    >
    >And, I'll post to wireless advisor as you suggested. But, since you've
    >successfully done it, could you share with me the process (I'm new to
    >this).

    Just go to http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com, set up an
    account and ask your question in either the LG forum, the
    Verizon forum or the or the Wireless Data and Internet
    forum. I would start in the Wireless Data forum, but make
    sure you state the carrier and phone data.

    >I may just get the 6256i since it sounds like that one will
    >work. I had my eye on the LG VX5300, but how can I be sure it will
    >work? I guess I could go into a Verizon store or Circuit City and see
    >if they will let me try it out.

    I had to go to the local Circuit City since the Verizon
    corporate stores did not carry that phone. When I
    purchased the phone I wanted both Bluetooth and IR. I no
    longer need IR so you may want to consider something like
    the Razr.

    They may let you try out the phone, but don't expect any
    help. they are clueless relative to wireless data unless you
    purchase their plan.

    before you go make sure you know the 1x Init strings,
    +crm=1;+cso=33 (for the 6256i) and the magic code to
    activate the DUN, ##DIALUP on the 6256i. (This is done
    only once via the phone keypad and stays set.)

    Your account also has to be enabled for certain data
    features, such as ring tone downloads. There is no charge
    for having the feature enabled, and it should be enabled by
    default, but that is something to check if you can't get the
    DUN to work.

    Doesn't Verizon allow you to return any new phone for a
    different model within 30 days if it doesn't meet your
    needs?

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  13. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    wrote in message
    news:1161719035.251324.221140@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

    > DervMan wrote:
    >
    >> My issue with the Treo range is that they have a
    >> thumbboard and I detest these wretched things. The winning combination
    >> for
    >> me is Graffiti and an optional full size, *hardware* connected keyboard.
    >> cannot always use a Bluetooth wireless keyboard...

    > I use Graffiti all the time on my 700p via the write-anywhere feature
    > of TealScript. There may be other ways to do this.

    Yes; I should have said that it's where I write as much as what I write on,
    if you see what I mean.

    > I find it is
    > usually faster than the thumboard. I also have large hands which makes
    > the thumboard a bit difficult for me to use. But sometimes the
    > thumboard works better for unusual characters.
    >
    > Re: full size keyboard. Does the infrared wireless keyboard not work
    > with a Treo?

    Maybe, maybe not: I've found infrared keyboard solutions in the past to be
    flakey at best...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  14. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    DervMan wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1161719035.251324.221140@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...
    > >
    > > DervMan wrote:
    > >
    > >> My issue with the Treo range is that they have a
    > >> thumbboard and I detest these wretched things. The winning combination
    > >> for
    > >> me is Graffiti and an optional full size, *hardware* connected keyboard.
    > >> cannot always use a Bluetooth wireless keyboard...

    > > I use Graffiti all the time on my 700p via the write-anywhere feature
    > > of TealScript. There may be other ways to do this.

    > Yes; I should have said that it's where I write as much as what I write on,
    > if you see what I mean.

    Not sure I do. Are you saying you do not like using Graffiti anywhere
    other than on a dedicated non-screen area? If so why? TS's write
    anywhere works fine. Helps to keep the overall form factor of the Treo
    small as well.

    > > Re: full size keyboard. Does the infrared wireless keyboard not work
    > > with a Treo?

    > Maybe, maybe not: I've found infrared keyboard solutions in the past to be
    > flakey at best...

    My son uses the stock Palm IR keyboard with his TE and he says it works
    great. I haven't tried one with my 700p but Palm lists the IR keyboard
    as compatible.

    Doug Hoffman

  15. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    wrote in message
    news:1161801708.376282.200920@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > DervMan wrote:
    >> wrote in message
    >> news:1161719035.251324.221140@m7g2000cwm.googlegro ups.com...

    >> > I use Graffiti all the time on my 700p via the write-anywhere feature
    >> > of TealScript. There may be other ways to do this.

    >> Yes; I should have said that it's where I write as much as what I write
    >> on,
    >> if you see what I mean.

    > Not sure I do. Are you saying you do not like using Graffiti anywhere
    > other than on a dedicated non-screen area? If so why?

    It's partially because it means writing on a cramped bit of screen real
    estate rather than the bit below... and partially because I'd have to hold
    the device up there rather than down here.

    Ultimately I'm fussy like that!

    > TS's write
    > anywhere works fine. Helps to keep the overall form factor of the Treo
    > small as well.

    Yes it does to a point, but I'd still rather dump the keypad and use
    Graffiti. Of course this is simply the way I work and I appreciate it's not
    perfect for a device such as this. Plus the 700p isn't yet readily
    available in the UK and I've only recently moved from a T2 to a T3, so not
    really wanting to upgrade again so soon.

    >> > Re: full size keyboard. Does the infrared wireless keyboard not work
    >> > with a Treo?

    >> Maybe, maybe not: I've found infrared keyboard solutions in the past to
    >> be
    >> flakey at best...

    > My son uses the stock Palm IR keyboard with his TE and he says it works
    > great. I haven't tried one with my 700p but Palm lists the IR keyboard
    > as compatible.

    Under certain lighting I've had issues with infrared keyboards, office strip
    lights seem to interfere with it. My wife used one with her T3 for a while
    and it worked great providing it was in just the right location, only all
    too often it would move and thus stop working so well.

    Also, I've yet to find a good sized wireless keyboard that's as portable as
    the Palm Portable Keyboard, which is my benchmark...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  16. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    There seems to be alot of confusion about what you want to do and what
    equipment types are being used. Most of the infomation given has to do
    with GSM phones and services and not CDMA (Verizon, Sprint). The phone
    listing on the T3, T5, and TX are for GSM phones to be used for the SMS
    and dialer applications.

    I have successfully paired a Motorola T730 with DC600 attached and a
    Motorola V710 to the Palm Tungsten T3 and TX for internet access and
    web mail or versamail (pop 3 or imap account) with the Verizon network.
    I have not tried this with a LG VX5300, as I don't have one. I did try
    this with a RAZR and the two paired up OK, but I could only get the
    internet connection on the QNC (14.4K) network. I think it has to do
    with it being an EVDO phone, as I noticed some changes to my account
    with that phone activated, which are not there with the other phones
    mentioned. I think a VX8300 will also work, but only with 14.4K (same
    problem as the RAZR).

    Here are some instuctions I wrote some time ago, with some updates I
    have done since.

    The first thing to do is pair the two devices together. This shopuld
    not be hard and is fairly straightforward.

    Once the pairing is done, go into Preferences/connection and set up a
    new connection. Name the connection whatever you like.
    The connection will be done in a two step process:
    First the "Connect to:" will be set to phone.
    The "Via:" will be set to Bluetooth.
    There will be a field for "Device:". If you click on this field, you
    should be able to see your phone as a trusted device. Select the phone
    and hit OK.
    You should now be back a the connection dialog.
    Secondly, you need to change the connection dialog information to the
    following:
    Connect to: PC (The only thing that needs to be changed.)
    Via: Bluetooth (Already done.)
    Device: (Will already show your phone.)

    Speed: 115,200 bps (or whatever is highest)
    Flow Ctrl: Automatic

    Next-
    In Preferences/Network set up a new service, ie "Verizon."
    User Name: @vzw3g.com (For the
    QNC network, this is QNC.)
    Password: vzw (For the QNC network, this is QNC.)
    Connection: (Whatever you named your connection. When you click on
    this field, all the connections available, including the one you just
    made, should appear in a drop down type of menu.)

    Connection type: PPP
    Idle Timeout: Never
    Query DNS: Yes
    IP Address: Automatic