What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5 - Palmtop ; Thanks, Vic. I just realized you're the same helpful soul I've been exchanging messages with on wirelessadvisor. Thanks for both! I think I do have GIN. I haven't downloaded anything yet, but it's a menu item on the phone. I ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: My new phone tethers...was: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    Thanks, Vic. I just realized you're the same helpful soul I've been
    exchanging messages with on wirelessadvisor. Thanks for both!

    I think I do have GIN. I haven't downloaded anything yet, but it's a
    menu item on the phone. I don't yet have online access to my account
    due to some complications with my company and Verizon, but I should be
    able to verify it this week.

    Hopefully someone can help me out with an init string for Samsung.

    Bill

    Victor Roberts wrote:
    > On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:54:36 -0500, Victor Roberts
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Second, you need to have Verizon enable a specific service
    > >on your phone - but I have forgotten what that is :-) The
    > >service allow you to download content from Verizon and does
    > >not cost you anything unless you do download that content.
    > >That is, there is no monthly fee, only a fee for the
    > >content. If I remember correctly, this feature may be
    > >enabled by default. I will try to find the name of the
    > >service and get back to you. Do NOT call Verison and tell
    > >them you want to activate 1x service.

    > The service is called Get It Now or GIN.
    >
    > --
    > Vic Roberts
    > Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  2. Re: My new phone tethers, but 1x unstable

    Just an update...I now have 1x working on my Samsung SCH A870 via
    bluetooth. Both qnc and 1x work great from my laptop. A speed check
    gets ~70 kbps on 1x from my laptop.

    qnc seems to work well from my Palm Tungsten T5. I can now connect via
    1x from my T5 (no more authentication errors after a chat with Verizon
    tech support). But, on my T5 the 1x service quickly bogs down to a halt
    and eventually disconnects. I can't even get enough data transferred to
    do a speed test.

    Since my PC can us 1x just fine, it seems to be an issue with the Palm
    set-up. I've tried many combinations of init strings, speed settings,
    flow control, etc. It just seems like the conversation among the phone,
    the T5, and the internet gets confused.

    Any ideas as to what could cause the different results between the Palm
    T5 and the laptop (running VZAM, BTW)?

    Thanks,

    Bill

    ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote:
    > Thanks, Vic. I just realized you're the same helpful soul I've been
    > exchanging messages with on wirelessadvisor. Thanks for both!
    >
    > I think I do have GIN. I haven't downloaded anything yet, but it's a
    > menu item on the phone. I don't yet have online access to my account
    > due to some complications with my company and Verizon, but I should be
    > able to verify it this week.
    >
    > Hopefully someone can help me out with an init string for Samsung.
    >
    > Bill
    >

    > Victor Roberts wrote:
    > > On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:54:36 -0500, Victor Roberts
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > > >Second, you need to have Verizon enable a specific service
    > > >on your phone - but I have forgotten what that is :-) The
    > > >service allow you to download content from Verizon and does
    > > >not cost you anything unless you do download that content.
    > > >That is, there is no monthly fee, only a fee for the
    > > >content. If I remember correctly, this feature may be
    > > >enabled by default. I will try to find the name of the
    > > >service and get back to you. Do NOT call Verison and tell
    > > >them you want to activate 1x service.

    > > The service is called Get It Now or GIN.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Vic Roberts
    > > Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  3. Re: My new phone tethers, but 1x unstable

    On 20 Nov 2006 23:45:23 -0800, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote:

    >Just an update...I now have 1x working on my Samsung SCH A870 via
    >bluetooth. Both qnc and 1x work great from my laptop. A speed check
    >gets ~70 kbps on 1x from my laptop.
    >
    >qnc seems to work well from my Palm Tungsten T5. I can now connect via
    >1x from my T5 (no more authentication errors after a chat with Verizon
    >tech support). But, on my T5 the 1x service quickly bogs down to a halt
    >and eventually disconnects. I can't even get enough data transferred to
    >do a speed test.
    >
    >Since my PC can us 1x just fine, it seems to be an issue with the Palm
    >set-up. I've tried many combinations of init strings, speed settings,
    >flow control, etc. It just seems like the conversation among the phone,
    >the T5, and the internet gets confused.
    >
    >Any ideas as to what could cause the different results between the Palm
    >T5 and the laptop (running VZAM, BTW)?

    What is VZAM? Sounds like some sort of special Verizon
    Wireless program. if so, you don't know what init string
    it is sending to the phone.

    What U use my Nokia 6256i with Bluetooth, I just use the
    ordinary DUN in Windows 2000 or the dialer in the Palm T|X.
    In both cases I have to supply the init string so I know
    they are the same.

    Have you tried Windows DUN, without any special Verizon
    Wireless software but using the same init string you use
    with your Palm? I suspect that will fail. If so, it
    indicates you have the wrong init string.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  4. Re: My new phone tethers, but 1x unstable

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:39:40 -0500, Victor Roberts
    wrote:

    >What U use my Nokia 6256i with Bluetooth, I just use the
    >ordinary DUN in Windows 2000 or the dialer in the Palm T|X.
    >In both cases I have to supply the init string so I know
    >they are the same.

    Well, my flying fingers have gone wrong again. The
    paragraph above should have read:

    When I use my Nokia 6556i with Bluetooth ...

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  5. Re: My new phone tethers, but 1x unstable

    Victor Roberts wrote:
    > On 20 Nov 2006 23:45:23 -0800, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote:

    [...]
    > What is VZAM? Sounds like some sort of special Verizon
    > Wireless program. if so, you don't know what init string
    > it is sending to the phone.

    VZAM is Verizon Access Manager. It essentially sets up the Windows
    connections for you based on its set-up questions. Once it's done, I
    can use the Windows connections (is that the Windows DUN you were
    talking about?) to successfully connect at 1x with good speed readings.
    I can look at the log files in Windows and see what AT commands are
    being sent to the phone. I have tried replicating those commands from
    my T5, but the T5 can establish a connection, but it can't maintain any
    speed and disconnects frequently (the PC doesn't do that).

    > What U use my Nokia 6256i with Bluetooth, I just use the
    > ordinary DUN in Windows 2000 or the dialer in the Palm T|X.
    > In both cases I have to supply the init string so I know
    > they are the same.
    >
    > Have you tried Windows DUN, without any special Verizon
    > Wireless software but using the same init string you use
    > with your Palm? I suspect that will fail. If so, it
    > indicates you have the wrong init string.

    I use the Windows DUN that VZAM created and it works just fine. I've
    poked around at all the settings in the Windows DUN setup. There's a
    lot of options that don't show up in the T5 set-up. But, I don't see
    anything peculiar about the Windows DUN. And, I don't see any init
    strings in the Windows DUN, but maybe I'm not looking in the right
    place.

    One thing may be of interest. When connection from the PC to the
    Samsung phone, the phone is connected through COM5 (a serial
    connection). Is that somehow different that the connection that the
    Palm creates when using the phone as a modem?

    Thanks,

    Bill

    > --
    > Vic Roberts
    > Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  6. Re: My new phone tethers, but 1x unstable

    On 1 Dec 2006 23:09:01 -0800, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote:

    >Victor Roberts wrote:
    >> On 20 Nov 2006 23:45:23 -0800, ss8wjl@ast.lmco.com wrote:
    >>

    >[...]
    >>
    >> What is VZAM? Sounds like some sort of special Verizon
    >> Wireless program. if so, you don't know what init string
    >> it is sending to the phone.

    >VZAM is Verizon Access Manager. It essentially sets up the Windows
    >connections for you based on its set-up questions. Once it's done, I
    >can use the Windows connections (is that the Windows DUN you were
    >talking about?) to successfully connect at 1x with good speed readings.
    >I can look at the log files in Windows and see what AT commands are
    >being sent to the phone. I have tried replicating those commands from
    >my T5, but the T5 can establish a connection, but it can't maintain any
    >speed and disconnects frequently (the PC doesn't do that).

    I have avoided the Verizon software since I wanted to know
    what was happening, as much as possible.

    >> What U use my Nokia 6256i with Bluetooth, I just use the
    >> ordinary DUN in Windows 2000 or the dialer in the Palm T|X.
    >> In both cases I have to supply the init string so I know
    >> they are the same.
    >>
    >> Have you tried Windows DUN, without any special Verizon
    >> Wireless software but using the same init string you use
    >> with your Palm? I suspect that will fail. If so, it
    >> indicates you have the wrong init string.
    >>

    >I use the Windows DUN that VZAM created and it works just fine. I've
    >poked around at all the settings in the Windows DUN setup. There's a
    >lot of options that don't show up in the T5 set-up. But, I don't see
    >anything peculiar about the Windows DUN. And, I don't see any init
    >strings in the Windows DUN, but maybe I'm not looking in the right
    >place.

    It took me quite some time to find the Init string again :-)
    It is technically part of the modem setup, not part of the
    DUN. (That means that all connections using the same modem
    would have the same Init string.)

    On Win98SE the modem setup screens were accessible through
    the DUN, but Bill G has hidden them quite well in Windows
    2000. I'm not sure which flavor of Windows you are using,
    but in Windows 2000 the Init string is here:

    Right click My Computer. Choose Properties, then Hardware
    then Device Manager. Expand Modems then right click on
    Bluetooth Modem. Choose Properties and then Advanced. The
    Extra Settings line is where you put the Init string,
    without the leading AT command. The string in this box
    should match the string used on your T5.

    >One thing may be of interest. When connection from the PC to the
    >Samsung phone, the phone is connected through COM5 (a serial
    >connection). Is that somehow different that the connection that the
    >Palm creates when using the phone as a modem?

    My Bluetooth connection also uses COM5 on my laptop. The
    connection to the phone is technically through a serial
    connection, one that, in this case, is emulated by the
    Bluetooth link.

    --
    Vic Roberts
    Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.

  7. Re: What phone to get to tether to Tungsten T5

    I spent 4 days searching in the internet until I saw this answer, I
    tried but the connection usually hanged up after a minute or two...
    don't know why.. I have a TX with a k1m cdma phone, that worked very
    well with my laptop using bluetooth. I finally made some modifications
    to the scrip, matching it with the log the conection with my laptop
    produces. I don't know what these changed means but they work better.
    instead of the posted ones, I used:

    send: AT (i now this is useless but any way it is there)
    send CR
    send: ate0v1&d2 (no idea what this command does)
    send CR
    send ats7=60L1M1X3 (no idea what this command does)
    send CR
    Send atdt#777 (this command dials)
    send CR
    delay 3

    My phone line is Movistar in venezuela...
    username: telcel@telcel.net
    pasw: telcel

    If also anybody knows how to put to work the sms application from the
    TX with CDMA's phones please tell us

    brucejay1962@msn.com ha escrito: