Palm Recommendations - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Palm Recommendations - Palmtop ; Hello everyone, I'm looking for a pretty basic Palm Pilot. All I want is a replacement for my paper organizer. I don't need MP3 or anything. I just want a date book and address book with room for plenty of ...

  1. Palm Recommendations

    Hello everyone,

    I'm looking for a pretty basic Palm Pilot. All I want is a replacement
    for my paper organizer. I don't need MP3 or anything. I just want a
    date book and address book with room for plenty of addresses, phone
    numbers, and appointments. I also do not want to lose my information
    if I forget to charge the battery. I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    several times to get it to respond, and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to
    use. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk
    either. Any information would be appreciated.

    Thanks,

    -Chad

  2. Re: Palm Recommendations

    On 18 Oct 2006 16:41:22 -0700, shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com
    wrote:

    >I'm looking for a pretty basic Palm Pilot. All I want is a replacement
    >for my paper organizer. I don't need MP3 or anything. I just want a
    >date book and address book with room for plenty of addresses, phone
    >numbers, and appointments. I also do not want to lose my information
    >if I forget to charge the battery. I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    >have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    >several times to get it to respond, and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to
    >use. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk
    >either. Any information would be appreciated.

    You should be able to replace Graffiti 2 with Graffiti 1 pretty easily
    just by nosing around the Internet. I did it on my Sony Clie TH-55.

    On topic: they're discontinued, but I love my Sony Clie. For basic
    use, you might consider finding a Clie on Ebay, like this:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PEG-TJ27-Cl...QQcmdZViewItem

    or

    http://tinyurl.com/yxtymb\

    (Same URL parsed through TinyURL)

    You're not going to find much of anything without an MP3 player
    nowadays, and the high resolution color screen really is easier to
    read (at least indoors). To make sure you don't lose your information,
    make sure you hotsync frequently. Even if the battery dies completely,
    the information will still be on your PC.
    --
    Mike Koenecke
    http://macros.koenecke.us

  3. Re: Palm Recommendations

    shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com wrote:

    > I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    >have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    >several times to get it to respond,

    Not a problem on my Z22. Very sensitive screen.

    >and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to use.

    G2's not so bad if you started using it from the beginning. But if you are a
    carryover from the G1 days I agree it's a pain. But learnable even for us
    slugs...

    >I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk either.

    I wouldn't call the Z22 junk. It's well worth the US$99 and will easily do what
    you want. The good points are that it's small and light and a good pocket carry.
    Also it has great battery life. The bad points are it has a low resolution
    grainy looking screen that can't be read in direct sunlight.

    If you're willing to go US$199 got for the Tungsten E2. Great high resolution
    screen that can be read in the sun. Great battery life. It's a bit bigger but
    still a good pocket carry. And with the expansion port and bluetooth you can
    change your mind later and surf the net, use GPS, listen to music, play videos,
    ect ect ect...

  4. Re: Palm Recommendations

    shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm looking for a pretty basic Palm Pilot. All I want is a replacement
    > for my paper organizer. I don't need MP3 or anything. I just want a
    > date book and address book with room for plenty of addresses, phone
    > numbers, and appointments. I also do not want to lose my information
    > if I forget to charge the battery. I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    > have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    > several times to get it to respond, and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to
    > use. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk
    > either. Any information would be appreciated.

    I'm very happy with my Z31. It handles all my addresses etc. and
    appointments, and runs lots of useful applications.

    Leon

  5. Re: Palm Recommendations

    AaronJ wrote:
    > shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    > >have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    > >several times to get it to respond,

    > Not a problem on my Z22. Very sensitive screen.
    >
    > >and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to use.

    > G2's not so bad if you started using it from the beginning. But if you are a
    > carryover from the G1 days I agree it's a pain. But learnable even for us
    > slugs...
    >
    > >I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk either.

    > I wouldn't call the Z22 junk. It's well worth the US$99 and will easily do what
    > you want. The good points are that it's small and light and a good pocket carry.
    > Also it has great battery life. The bad points are it has a low resolution
    > grainy looking screen that can't be read in direct sunlight.
    >
    > If you're willing to go US$199 got for the Tungsten E2. Great high resolution
    > screen that can be read in the sun. Great battery life. It's a bit bigger but
    > still a good pocket carry. And with the expansion port and bluetooth you can
    > change your mind later and surf the net, use GPS, listen to music, play videos,
    > ect ect ect...

    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I ordered a Tungsten E2 and am
    anxious to receive it.

    Thanks,

    -Chad

  6. Re: Palm Recommendations

    AaronJ wrote:
    > shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com wrote:
    >
    > > I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    > >have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    > >several times to get it to respond,

    > Not a problem on my Z22. Very sensitive screen.
    >
    > >and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to use.

    > G2's not so bad if you started using it from the beginning. But if you are a
    > carryover from the G1 days I agree it's a pain. But learnable even for us
    > slugs...
    >
    > >I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk either.

    > I wouldn't call the Z22 junk. It's well worth the US$99 and will easily do what
    > you want. The good points are that it's small and light and a good pocket carry.
    > Also it has great battery life. The bad points are it has a low resolution
    > grainy looking screen that can't be read in direct sunlight.
    >
    > If you're willing to go US$199 got for the Tungsten E2. Great high resolution
    > screen that can be read in the sun. Great battery life. It's a bit bigger but
    > still a good pocket carry. And with the expansion port and bluetooth you can
    > change your mind later and surf the net, use GPS, listen to music, play videos,
    > ect ect ect...

    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I ordered a Tungsten E2 and am
    anxious to receive it.

    Thanks,

    -Chad

  7. Re: Palm Recommendations

    shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com wrote:

    >AaronJ wrote:
    >> shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>
    >> > I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    >> >have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    >> >several times to get it to respond,

    >> Not a problem on my Z22. Very sensitive screen.
    >>
    >> >and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to use.

    >> G2's not so bad if you started using it from the beginning. But if you are a
    >> carryover from the G1 days I agree it's a pain. But learnable even for us
    >> slugs...
    >>
    >> >I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk either.

    >> I wouldn't call the Z22 junk. It's well worth the US$99 and will easily do what
    >> you want. The good points are that it's small and light and a good pocket carry.
    >> Also it has great battery life. The bad points are it has a low resolution
    >> grainy looking screen that can't be read in direct sunlight.
    >>
    >> If you're willing to go US$199 got for the Tungsten E2. Great high resolution
    >> screen that can be read in the sun. Great battery life. It's a bit bigger but
    >> still a good pocket carry. And with the expansion port and bluetooth you can
    >> change your mind later and surf the net, use GPS, listen to music, play videos,
    >> ect ect ect...

    >Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I ordered a Tungsten E2 and am
    >anxious to receive it.

    After reading my own post I was convinced and went out and bought an E2...

    The best thing I've found so far is the fantastic battery life. In ebook service
    using my Zire 72 I was down to a 50% charge after 3 hours. With my Tungsten E(1)
    it is only two hours, course the TE is 3 years old now. With the new E2 on the
    first charge I got 6 hours and it was still saying 80% left. Amazing.

    The bad part is that the E2 won't read a 2GB card. Surprised me since my Z72 and
    TE read the card just fine. However if you read the fine print on the box it
    does say the maximum card is 1GB. Gotta read the fine print...

  8. Re: Palm Recommendations

    Doug in Kentucky wrote:
    > On 20 Oct 2006 10:20:59 -0700, "Leon"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >> Hello everyone,
    > >>
    > >> I'm looking for a pretty basic Palm Pilot. All I want is a replacement
    > >> for my paper organizer. I don't need MP3 or anything. I just want a
    > >> date book and address book with room for plenty of addresses, phone
    > >> numbers, and appointments. I also do not want to lose my information
    > >> if I forget to charge the battery. I thought about the Palm Z22, but I
    > >> have read a few reviews that said sometimes you have to tap the screen
    > >> several times to get it to respond, and Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to
    > >> use. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but I don't want junk
    > >> either. Any information would be appreciated.
    > >>

    > >I'm very happy with my Z31. It handles all my addresses etc. and
    > >appointments, and runs lots of useful applications.
    > >
    > >Leon

    > But you forget that one of his requirements are that it retain memory
    > if he forgets to charge it and lets the battery go flat.

    I Hotsync mine every few days. It takes a long time for the battery to
    go flat, anyway, and I use mine several times a day so I see how the
    battery is doing.

    Leon

  9. Re: Palm Recommendations

    wrote in message
    news:1161214881.987764.191450@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com
    > Hello everyone,
    >
    > I'm looking for a pretty basic Palm Pilot. All I want is a
    > replacement for my paper organizer. I don't need MP3 or anything. I
    > just want a date book and address book with room for plenty of
    > addresses, phone numbers, and appointments. I also do not want to
    > lose my information if I forget to charge the battery. I thought
    > about the Palm Z22, but I have read a few reviews that said sometimes
    > you have to tap the screen several times to get it to respond, and
    > Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to use. I don't need all the bells and
    > whistles, but I don't want junk either. Any information would be
    > appreciated.

    I am surprised nobody mentioned the Palm III line. As they can run up to
    2 months on a set of AAA batteries (I use rechargeable Ni-MH). And cost
    about 20 bucks on eBay. Is this too under powered for your needs? I
    really enjoy mine. I have a Palm IIIc (has color and a Li-Ion battery)
    and a Palm IIIxe.

    I have to admit, I know nothing of newer models, so feel free to tell me
    I am all wet if you would like. And maybe someone will convince me to
    upgrade.

    --
    Bill

  10. Re: Palm Recommendations

    BillW50 wrote:
    > wrote in message
    > news:1161214881.987764.191450@m73g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com
    >> Hello everyone,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for a pretty basic Palm Pilot. All I want is a
    >> replacement for my paper organizer. I don't need MP3 or anything. I
    >> just want a date book and address book with room for plenty of
    >> addresses, phone numbers, and appointments. I also do not want to
    >> lose my information if I forget to charge the battery. I thought
    >> about the Palm Z22, but I have read a few reviews that said sometimes
    >> you have to tap the screen several times to get it to respond, and
    >> Graffiti 2 isn't very easy to use. I don't need all the bells and
    >> whistles, but I don't want junk either. Any information would be
    >> appreciated.

    > I am surprised nobody mentioned the Palm III line. As they can run up to
    > 2 months on a set of AAA batteries (I use rechargeable Ni-MH). And cost
    > about 20 bucks on eBay. Is this too under powered for your needs? I
    > really enjoy mine. I have a Palm IIIc (has color and a Li-Ion battery)
    > and a Palm IIIxe.
    >
    > I have to admit, I know nothing of newer models, so feel free to tell me
    > I am all wet if you would like. And maybe someone will convince me to
    > upgrade.

    The original post listed as one criteria, the fact that he didn't want
    the Palm to lose data if he forgot to charge (or change) the battery.
    That would seem to rule out everything except the several newer models
    with non-volatile memory (like the Z22, E2, or a used Tungsten T5 which
    IMHO was the best combination of power, speed, storage space and price
    Palm ever built not to mention a gorgeous screen).

    If you have not used a Palm with the original Graffiti, then Graffiti 2
    is no big deal to learn as you will have no point of reference. Don't
    use that as a basis for your decision.

    There are many people who use and like the Z22. I do not think it is
    junk, and in the long run I think you would be happier with it than
    something that is 4-5 years old...or older, with limited speed and
    storage space, and an OS which cannot be upgraded to run current
    software. Once you get to using (and liking) a Palm and might want to
    try using it for things other than just a calendar and address book, you
    would regret buying something old and less capable compared with what
    is out there now.

    That said, I still keep an old m130 around because it was cute, handy,
    and if my T5 ever goes bust at least I'll have something to use until I
    replace it. But could I live with the m130 day to day? Not. And as
    for the IIIxe, I loved mine when it was new, too. It was a rock. But
    it kills my eyes to look at it now.

    Go to a Staples, Office Depot or CompUSA where they have working models
    to play with, and try them for yourself.

    --
    Steve Kranz
    Homebrewer extraordinaire, banjo player mediocaire

+ Reply to Thread