Is this a dying Tungsten C? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Is this a dying Tungsten C? - Palmtop ; Hi, Well, I bought a refurbished T|C from the Palm Outlet Store about a year ago, and - son of a gun - it started decomposing not long after the 90-day warranty expired. First, the screen started whining. Okay I ...

  1. Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    Hi,

    Well, I bought a refurbished T|C from the Palm Outlet Store about a year
    ago, and - son of a gun - it started decomposing not long after the
    90-day warranty expired.

    First, the screen started whining. Okay I can live with that.

    Then, the WiFi started getting unreliable; major bummer - no more WiFi
    syncing to my PowerBook.

    Now - THE FREAKING APPLICATION BUTTONS STOPPED WORKING, ALL OF THEM!
    (Sorry for shouting, but I had to vent...) I press the Datebook, Address
    Book, Email or Web buttons, and nothing at all happens!

    Is this last problem a known T|C issue? And is the build quality on the
    E or TX any better? (My Clie SJ-33 developed mad digitizer disease after
    a year, too. Sheesh!)

    Thanks in advance,

    Steve

  2. Re: Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    Steven Folberg wrote :
    > Hi,
    >
    > Well, I bought a refurbished T|C from the Palm Outlet Store about a year
    > ago, and - son of a gun - it started decomposing not long after the
    > 90-day warranty expired.
    >
    > First, the screen started whining. Okay I can live with that.
    >
    > Then, the WiFi started getting unreliable; major bummer - no more WiFi
    > syncing to my PowerBook.
    >
    > Now - THE FREAKING APPLICATION BUTTONS STOPPED WORKING, ALL OF THEM!
    > (Sorry for shouting, but I had to vent...) I press the Datebook, Address
    > Book, Email or Web buttons, and nothing at all happens!
    >
    > Is this last problem a known T|C issue? And is the build quality on the
    > E or TX any better? (My Clie SJ-33 developed mad digitizer disease after
    > a year, too. Sheesh!)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >

    > Steve

    Hello Steve...

    I got a used T|C last year. I suppose the handheld is around 3 years
    old... It works perfectly so far.

    I have applied the OS patch avaible on Palm web site. It is said to help
    Wifi connection. So far, the Wifi connection is not straight-forward :
    with a free/open connection, it works ok. With WEP (WPA is not
    possible), it hardly gets an IP address with DHCP, so I have to
    configure all the IP settings manually. Once this is done, it works...

    For the keys.... well I don't know. Mines are still ok so far...

    Charly

  3. Re: Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    In article <4535e2e9$0$13497$426a74cc@news.free.fr>,
    Charly wrote:

    > Hello Steve...
    >
    > I got a used T|C last year. I suppose the handheld is around 3 years
    > old... It works perfectly so far.
    >
    > I have applied the OS patch avaible on Palm web site. It is said to help
    > Wifi connection. So far, the Wifi connection is not straight-forward :
    > with a free/open connection, it works ok. With WEP (WPA is not
    > possible), it hardly gets an IP address with DHCP, so I have to
    > configure all the IP settings manually. Once this is done, it works...
    >
    > For the keys.... well I don't know. Mines are still ok so far...
    >
    > Charly

    Thanks for the response, Charly.

    Yes, I have the latest patch installed (assuming we're talking about
    that same one that's supposed to help with WiFi).

    I could send that Tungsten C in for repair to Palm, but that's USD $169,
    without shipping, and at that point, it probably pays more to buy a new
    unit.

    Thank you,

    Steve

  4. Re: Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    Steven Folberg aszonygya:
    :I could send that Tungsten C in for repair to Palm, but that's USD $169,
    :without shipping, and at that point, it probably pays more to buy a new
    :unit.

    I had 4 TC refurbs. They were all junks except for the last one. In the good
    old days refurbs used to be like new. Not with the TC. /PaulN

  5. Re: Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    "Steven Folberg" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Well, I bought a refurbished T|C from the Palm Outlet Store about a year
    > ago, and - son of a gun - it started decomposing not long after the
    > 90-day warranty expired.
    >
    > First, the screen started whining. Okay I can live with that.
    >
    > Then, the WiFi started getting unreliable; major bummer - no more WiFi
    > syncing to my PowerBook.
    >
    > Now - THE FREAKING APPLICATION BUTTONS STOPPED WORKING, ALL OF THEM!
    > (Sorry for shouting, but I had to vent...) I press the Datebook, Address
    > Book, Email or Web buttons, and nothing at all happens!
    >
    > Is this last problem a known T|C issue? And is the build quality on the
    > E or TX any better? (My Clie SJ-33 developed mad digitizer disease after
    > a year, too. Sheesh!)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >

    > Steve

    Sorry to hear your problems with T|C. My experience with one purchased new
    2+ years ago have been totally acceptable.
    After over 2 years of hard daily use and at least one drop per week (thank
    god for aluminum aftermarket case) the machine's still chugging away.
    To indicate how much wear my unit gets - the power button's green paint is
    gone with some of the white plastic showing thru.
    I put a new PalmOne screen protector on once a month since the old one is
    usually starting to wear through in common use spots.
    My screen whined right our of the box but I work in loud areas so don't
    notice unless I wake in the middle of the night and want to make a note on
    it... then the whine is always a surprise.
    Overall - The T|C is the best built and most physically robust PDA I've ever
    owned. The runner-up was the Handspring Treo90 that preceded this unit: I
    owned 3 of them in about 4 years time since they didn't like being dropped
    and were a little small for my ham-hands. ("Klutz")

    Reading more of this thread - the $169 for a questionable refurb is news to
    me. I've looked at eBay and seen complete "pristine" T|C's going for around
    $100... might be worth a look?

    Besst of luck
    AvariceRising

  6. Re: Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    I bought a T|C new in Guam 3 years ago and it's been rock solid ever
    since. It has arguably been the best PDA I've ever used.

    Call Palm and give 'em hell about yours falling apart. Regarless of
    warantee they still have some responsibility don't they?

  7. Re: Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    > "Steven Folberg" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Well, I bought a refurbished T|C from the Palm Outlet Store

    about a year
    > > ago, and - son of a gun - it started decomposing not long

    after the
    > > 90-day warranty expired.

    Decompose is a good word.
    I had two TCs decompose on me.

    > > First, the screen started whining.

    Same here.

    >Okay I can live with that.
    > >
    > > Then, the WiFi started getting unreliable; major bummer

    Same here.

    > > Now - THE FREAKING APPLICATION BUTTONS STOPPED WORKING, ALL

    OF THEM!
    > > (Sorry for shouting, but I had to vent...) I press the

    Datebook, Address
    > > Book, Email or Web buttons, and nothing at all happens!
    > >
    > > Is this last problem a known T|C issue?

    Not that I have heard of. Maybe just a loose connector? If it
    is out of warranty, you may wanna open it up and take a look.
    IIRC, disassembly instructions are at www.gethightech.com, and I
    found the proper screwdriver @ a local Ace Hardware.

    In my case, it would no longer power on at all (died
    motherboard?). This same kind of TC death happened to a guy I
    met at a conference.

    Although I really liked the TC (except for the mono headphones
    jack and being a tad overly thick), I switched back to my much
    older, but much much sturdier/reliable imo, Visor Edge.

    Regards,
    Todd

    --
    Remove NO SPAM to reply via email

  8. Re: Is this a dying Tungsten C?

    In article ,
    nevai@math.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) wrote:

    > Steven Folberg aszonygya:
    > :I could send that Tungsten C in for repair to Palm, but that's USD $169,
    > :without shipping, and at that point, it probably pays more to buy a new
    > :unit.
    >
    > I had 4 TC refurbs. They were all junks except for the last one. In the good
    > old days refurbs used to be like new. Not with the TC. /PaulN

    Yes, true. The best built Palm I ever had was my first one: a Vx. The
    metal case was lovely. I used it for several years with no trouble,
    until the digitizer went bonkers. This was a well-known fault in the
    V/Vx and I didn't have the patience or expertise to take the thing apart
    and try to fix it. Next I had a Clie Sj-33 that lasted about 18 months
    before coming apart. Then the Tungsten C refurb that lasted maybe a year
    before developing problems. And now, I have a TX. So far so good
    (although the screen redraws are slower than the T|C.) But what is it
    with the build quality of these PDA's now? >:-(

    Take care,

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread