Treo 680 is Coming... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 680 is Coming... - Palmtop ; http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/tc_nm/palm_treo_dc "The new Treo 680 aims to meet growing demand for so-called smartphones -- devices that receive e-mail wirelessly, let users listen to digital music, and handle other features beyond talk. Research In Motion Ltd.'s Blackberry is best known for ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

  1. Treo 680 is Coming...

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/tc_nm/palm_treo_dc

    "The new Treo 680 aims to meet growing demand for so-called smartphones --
    devices that receive e-mail wirelessly, let users listen to digital music,
    and handle other features beyond talk. Research In Motion Ltd.'s Blackberry
    is best known for its e-mail capabilities."

  2. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In article <5013982.9kFst7uLMh@schestowitz.com>, Roy Schestowitz says...

    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/tc_nm/palm_treo_dc
    >
    > "The new Treo 680 aims to meet growing demand for so-called smartphones --
    > devices that receive e-mail wirelessly, let users listen to digital music,
    > and handle other features beyond talk. Research In Motion Ltd.'s Blackberry
    > is best known for its e-mail capabilities."

    Old news, Palm already has a Treo680 webpage
    <http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...80/index.html?
    creativeID=HmPg_BB|treo680_announcement>

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  3. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    Why can't Palm produce a Treo with a 3.5mm connector so you can use your own
    headphones in it. I've got the adaptor, but its just another extra you need
    to carry about (and lose).

    Also when are they going to bring a Treo out with 3G/BT/Wifi? I want to be
    able to connect to the internet via Wifi, sync using BT and check emails on
    the go using 3G.

    --
    Gerry (The MOTH)

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/tc_nm/palm_treo_dc
    >
    > "The new Treo 680 aims to meet growing demand for so-called smartphones --
    > devices that receive e-mail wirelessly, let users listen to digital music,
    > and handle other features beyond talk. Research In Motion Ltd.'s
    > Blackberry
    > is best known for its e-mail capabilities."

  4. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    Gerry (The MOTH) wrote:
    > Why can't Palm produce a Treo with a 3.5mm connector so you can use your own
    > headphones in it. I've got the adaptor, but its just another extra you need
    > to carry about (and lose).

    The connector is a different size because the electrical connections are
    different. A Treo needs a microphone wire, in addition to the speakers.
    An iPod (for example) doesn't.

    --
    John W. Kennedy
    "The blind rulers of Logres

  5. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message "John W. Kennedy"
    wrote:

    >Gerry (The MOTH) wrote:
    >> Why can't Palm produce a Treo with a 3.5mm connector so you can use your own
    >> headphones in it. I've got the adaptor, but its just another extra you need
    >> to carry about (and lose).

    >The connector is a different size because the electrical connections are
    >different. A Treo needs a microphone wire, in addition to the speakers.
    >An iPod (for example) doesn't.

    There are a couple possibilities:

    1) Two connectors. Okay, this has it's own set of issues.

    2) Use a 3.5mm connector with an additional connector on the tip for the
    microphone. This would require an adapter to use a non-Palm headset,
    but with Bluetooth headsets being as popular as they are today, I'd
    rather be able to plug any headphones in even if it limits my headset
    choices.

    3) In addition to the above, when using standard headphones, the
    incoming sound could play on the headphones, the on-board microphone
    could be use to pick up what I'm saying. That means I'd have to hold
    the Treo in front of me like a speaker phone, but I wouldn't have to
    scream at it, nor would the rest of the world hear my conversation.

    --
    If stupidity persists, consult your psychiatrist.

  6. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    "Gerry \(The MOTH\)" wrote:

    >Why can't Palm produce a Treo with a 3.5mm connector so you can use your own
    >headphones in it. I've got the adaptor, but its just another extra you need
    >to carry about (and lose).
    >
    >Also when are they going to bring a Treo out with 3G/BT/Wifi? I want to be
    >able to connect to the internet via Wifi, sync using BT and check emails on
    >the go using 3G.

    Good questions

  7. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > 2) Use a 3.5mm connector with an additional connector on the tip for the
    > microphone. This would require an adapter to use a non-Palm headset,
    > but with Bluetooth headsets being as popular as they are today, I'd
    > rather be able to plug any headphones in even if it limits my headset
    > choices.

    It's a phone first and a media player third. Breaking the standard for
    a phone headset is a Bad Idea.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #4.
    Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

  8. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    have never owned a Treo before so have some questions
    if you will.

    1. Can you use one of this small folding keyboard for
    the Treo?

    2. What's it like to look on web pages with a Treo? Is
    it painful?

  9. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message <51o7j2lav9nfsadnk7vqmhnqihoe7bofj9@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> 2) Use a 3.5mm connector with an additional connector on the tip for the
    >> microphone. This would require an adapter to use a non-Palm headset,
    >> but with Bluetooth headsets being as popular as they are today, I'd
    >> rather be able to plug any headphones in even if it limits my headset
    >> choices.

    >It's a phone first and a media player third. Breaking the standard for
    >a phone headset is a Bad Idea.

    Perhaps, but I've owned many phones which have done the same (V3 Razr
    being the most recent example) -- With the move towards Bluetooth
    headsets, I suspect it's less relevant.

    How about suggestion #3, would that be a happy medium? (FWIW, I'm
    looking at an MP3 player that connects to a bluetooth phone and does
    just that)

    --
    If stupidity persists, consult your psychiatrist.

  10. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >have never owned a Treo before so have some questions
    >if you will.

    I've had my Treo 650 for about 5 hours now...

    >1. Can you use one of this small folding keyboard for
    >the Treo?

    I've never tried it.

    >2. What's it like to look on web pages with a Treo? Is
    >it painful?

    Blazer is pretty must crap. Slow, unstable (okay, it rarely crashes, it
    just causes soft resets) generally renders pretty poorly.

    Opera Mini renders a lot better, is fast, but there are a few things I
    don't like. This experience is on my Palm T|X, I don't have it on my
    Treo yet.

    1) When typing (Graffiti) I often get letters doubled. When
    backspacing, I'll get a Java VM error and it either quits, or needs a
    reboot.

    2) You can't remove some of the default bookmark links on the home page.
    I'd happily pay to have a stable browser without advertising.

    3) Some pages reload the entire page when selecting text in a dropdown.
    Okay, this is mostly JavaScript's fault, but the result is that it takes
    5+ minutes to look up a bus route.

    That's the extent of my experience with online browsing. Offline
    browsing, iSilo is fantastic and is a life saver for me.

    --
    If stupidity persists, consult your psychiatrist.

  11. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >It's a phone first and a media player third. Breaking the standard for
    > >a phone headset is a Bad Idea.

    > Perhaps, but I've owned many phones which have done the same (V3 Razr
    > being the most recent example) -- With the move towards Bluetooth
    > headsets, I suspect it's less relevant.
    >
    > How about suggestion #3, would that be a happy medium? (FWIW, I'm
    > looking at an MP3 player that connects to a bluetooth phone and does
    > just that)

    That would take a rewire, too, as the standard is that a switch in the
    socket turns off the onboard speaker and mic when a headset is plugged
    in. To do what you suggest in #3, it would have to be smart enough to
    know that it was a plain stereo headset and not one with a mic.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "After that, maybe I'll try pacing fro and to, just for the kick of
    it." (Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova, B5 "Believers")

  12. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > Blazer is pretty must crap. Slow, unstable (okay, it rarely crashes, it
    > just causes soft resets) generally renders pretty poorly.

    Blazer works for me.

    > Opera Mini renders a lot better, is fast, but there are a few things I
    > don't like. This experience is on my Palm T|X, I don't have it on my
    > Treo yet.

    Holy cow! It requires an additional 1.7M of support files to work!
    Remember, your TX may have had 128M of internal storage, but the Treo
    only has 24M.

    > 1) When typing (Graffiti) I often get letters doubled. When
    > backspacing, I'll get a Java VM error and it either quits, or needs a
    > reboot.

    Sounds like a major problem to me.

    > 2) You can't remove some of the default bookmark links on the home page.
    > I'd happily pay to have a stable browser without advertising.

    Sounds like a major problem to me.

    > 3) Some pages reload the entire page when selecting text in a dropdown.
    > Okay, this is mostly JavaScript's fault, but the result is that it takes
    > 5+ minutes to look up a bus route.

    And sucks up your data usage quota/racks up data usage charges. Sounds
    like a major problem to me.

    Thanks for the warnings, I think I'll stick with Blazer after all.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "These popular sovereigns are at their work, blowing out the moral
    lights around us." - Abraham Lincoln

  13. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    NOSPAMrobertocastillo@ameritech.net (Zombie Elvis)
    wrote:

    >Regular web pages are difficult. But if you stick to web pages
    >that are optimized for mobile devices, it's great for looking up
    >information like weather and directions. Google has a mobile
    >search page which does a pretty nice job converting web pages for
    >mobile phones/PDAs.

    Thanks

    If I get a Treo I wouldn't want to look at web pages
    all the time with it.... but might have need to look at
    some when on the road.....such as weather reports,
    directions, etc.

  14. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > NOSPAMrobertocastillo@ameritech.net (Zombie Elvis)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Regular web pages are difficult. But if you stick to web pages
    > >that are optimized for mobile devices, it's great for looking up
    > >information like weather and directions. Google has a mobile
    > >search page which does a pretty nice job converting web pages for
    > >mobile phones/PDAs.

    > Thanks
    >
    > If I get a Treo I wouldn't want to look at web pages
    > all the time with it.... but might have need to look at
    > some when on the road.....such as weather reports,
    > directions, etc.

    If you're same me@privacy.net that always asks what he/she should buy,
    I can guarantee that you won't buy a Treo, or anything else, for that
    matter.

    LMAO!!!

    Notan

  15. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> Blazer is pretty must crap. Slow, unstable (okay, it rarely crashes, it
    >> just causes soft resets) generally renders pretty poorly.

    >Blazer works for me.

    Treo or T|X? It's only crashed once on my Treo 650, on my T|X it was
    pretty bad though.

    >> Opera Mini renders a lot better, is fast, but there are a few things I
    >> don't like. This experience is on my Palm T|X, I don't have it on my
    >> Treo yet.

    >Holy cow! It requires an additional 1.7M of support files to work!

    Yeah -- Not a big deal if you have other apps that use the Java VM.

    >Remember, your TX may have had 128M of internal storage, but the Treo
    >only has 24M.

    My biggest complain about the Treo... I'd pay a fair chunk more for
    enough memory on-board to not feel like I need an SD card for the
    expansion (don't get me wrong, I use it to store and move data too)

    >> 1) When typing (Graffiti) I often get letters doubled. When
    >> backspacing, I'll get a Java VM error and it either quits, or needs a
    >> reboot.

    >Sounds like a major problem to me.

    Yes.

    >> 2) You can't remove some of the default bookmark links on the home page.
    >> I'd happily pay to have a stable browser without advertising.

    >Sounds like a major problem to me.

    One of the side effects of free software. They're not really obtrusive,
    but I still consider it obnoxious.

    >> 3) Some pages reload the entire page when selecting text in a dropdown.
    >> Okay, this is mostly JavaScript's fault, but the result is that it takes
    >> 5+ minutes to look up a bus route.

    >And sucks up your data usage quota/racks up data usage charges. Sounds
    >like a major problem to me.

    Actually, it doesn't seem to be transferring much data, just a painful
    redraw of the page. Remember, Opera Mini was really built with cell
    phone screen sizes and CPU power in mind and is optimized as such.

    On the plus side, the bandwidth utilization is substantially less, due
    to the fact that it uses a proxy architecture, so the pages are already
    fitted to your device's screen as they're downloaded. This was my main
    motivation, after having noticed that a few sites I'm interested in
    accessing from my Palm are well over 500KB (as downloaded by Blazer), or
    less then 3KB (as downloaded by Opera Mini)

    Honestly, I don't really recommend either right now.

    --
    "Gee, Bill what do you want to do tonight?"
    "The same thing we do every night Steve. Try to take over the world!"

  16. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

  17. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    "Chuck" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Where did you even find Graffiti on the treo 650? The only input method
    > on mine is the built in keyboard.

    graffiti is pre installed on EVERY Palm OS handheld. it's graffiti2 on the
    treo 650. so as i said, it is alrealdy included in the Palm OS 5 the treo
    ships with.
    the only problem is, you can't use is out of the box.

  18. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > In message Jeffrey
    > Kaplan wrote:
    >
    > >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    > >
    > >> Blazer is pretty must crap. Slow, unstable (okay, it rarely crashes, it
    > >> just causes soft resets) generally renders pretty poorly.

    > >Blazer works for me.

    > Treo or T|X? It's only crashed once on my Treo 650, on my T|X it was
    > pretty bad though.

    Treo 650, current firmware.

    > >Remember, your TX may have had 128M of internal storage, but the Treo
    > >only has 24M.

    > My biggest complain about the Treo... I'd pay a fair chunk more for
    > enough memory on-board to not feel like I need an SD card for the
    > expansion (don't get me wrong, I use it to store and move data too)

    The 700p (CDMA) and the 680 (GSM, not out yet) have more memory than
    the 650.

    > On the plus side, the bandwidth utilization is substantially less, due
    > to the fact that it uses a proxy architecture, so the pages are already
    > fitted to your device's screen as they're downloaded. This was my main
    > motivation, after having noticed that a few sites I'm interested in
    > accessing from my Palm are well over 500KB (as downloaded by Blazer), or
    > less then 3KB (as downloaded by Opera Mini)

    OTOH, if you stick to mobile-optimized pages, you don't need to do
    that.

    Maybe if I actually used mobile data a lot, I'd care more.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "Space travel is so dull." (Lita, STS9 "Let He Who Is Without
    Sin...")

  19. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message Chuck
    wrote: