Treo 680 is Coming... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 680 is Coming... - Palmtop ; DevilsPGD wrote: >What carrier? What country? With Sprint in the USA...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 57 of 57

Thread: Treo 680 is Coming...

  1. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >What carrier? What country?


    With Sprint in the USA

  2. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >I've used Windows Mobile before, long enough to know not to go back.
    >It's not on my radar for a PDA, and definitely not for a smartphone.


    Understood but I guess my question was more of form
    factor and not the OS..... i.e do you think candy bar
    style phones more robust, easier, some advantage over
    sliders?

    >I'll reevaluate down the road, but today, I'd be looking at repurchasing
    >a large collection of software, plus the simple lack of useful freeware
    >on the WM platform (Yes there is a lot out there now, but little that
    >interest me)


    Understood

    I realize that Palm is a good OS

  3. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

    >Then you really want a BT headset. I like the Logitech Mobile
    >Traveler.


    Dumb question but can I also use the above headset as a
    general purpose boom mic for skype use with my laptop
    or desktop?

    Or is it cell phone specific?

  4. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >> Aside from interacting with my other PDAs, and the occasional print job
    > >> at an office that doesn't exist anymore, I've never used it.

    > >
    > >Switch to BT.

    >
    > The printer didn't support BT. I actually have a laser printer that
    > supports IR now, but since it's over 30LBs, and hard wired to my
    > desktop, I can't think of any case where I'd ever use this functionality
    > anymore.


    I saw this at a CompUSA not too long ago:
    http://ambicom.com/products/air2net/wbpkit.html

    It's a BT adapter for USB printers.

    > >Then you really want a BT headset. I like the Logitech Mobile
    > >Traveler. It's lightweight, it's got really good volume (I can hear it
    > >while highway driving), and it holds onto my ear.

    >
    > I'm a huge fan of my BT headset (Motorola HS850 -- It's even been
    > through the washer, so it's squeaky clean and still works great!)


    I had one of those, for about three days. It wasn't loud enough for
    me.

    > I'll check out the Logitech one though, the volume on the Motorola is a
    > bit lacking.


    Exactly my problem with it.

    Another one with decent volume is the Jabra BT350, but the ear loop, at
    least on the unit I tried, wasn't strong enough; it didn't hold the
    speaker in close enough to my ear and it always felt like if I turned
    my head too fast it'd fly off.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

    "I suppose we've had a convention of mad bombers arrive here at the
    station. Yes that must be it. From now on I must remember to check
    the Babylon 5 social calendar more often." (G'Kar, B5 "Convictions")

  5. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that me@privacy.net claimed:

    > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    >
    > >Then you really want a BT headset. I like the Logitech Mobile
    > >Traveler.

    >
    > Dumb question but can I also use the above headset as a
    > general purpose boom mic for skype use with my laptop
    > or desktop?


    The specs say it can be used as a computer headset too, depending on
    the BT driver on the computer. However, I don't know if pairing it
    with a computer will remove the pairing with the cellphone, or if it
    can be paired with multiple items.

    Manual is here (mind the wrap...)


    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol

    "When I was talking about myself, and when he's talking about myself,
    all of us are talking about me." - George W. Bush

  6. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >>I've used Windows Mobile before, long enough to know not to go back.
    >>It's not on my radar for a PDA, and definitely not for a smartphone.

    >
    >Understood but I guess my question was more of form
    >factor and not the OS..... i.e do you think candy bar
    >style phones more robust, easier, some advantage over
    >sliders?


    Actually, I'd much rather a flip or slider, to protect the keypad and
    screen. However, there aren't any that fit my budget and OS
    preferences.

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  7. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message <4vhfj25nne6btfs2u46v66qt6o8i1gsnh3@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that me@privacy.net claimed:
    >
    >> Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    >>
    >> >Then you really want a BT headset. I like the Logitech Mobile
    >> >Traveler.

    >>
    >> Dumb question but can I also use the above headset as a
    >> general purpose boom mic for skype use with my laptop
    >> or desktop?

    >
    >The specs say it can be used as a computer headset too, depending on
    >the BT driver on the computer. However, I don't know if pairing it
    >with a computer will remove the pairing with the cellphone, or if it
    >can be paired with multiple items.
    >
    >Manual is here (mind the wrap...)
    >


    It depends on the headset too -- The Motorola HS850 can pair with up to
    8 devices, but will only automatically connect to the most recently
    connected, if you change devices you have to initiate the connection
    from the remote device.

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  8. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >
    >Actually, I'd much rather a flip or slider, to protect the keypad and
    >screen. However, there aren't any that fit my budget and OS
    >preferences.


    Understood

    But the thing a candy bar phone has going for it
    besides being less mechanical...is that I can zip it up
    in a ziplock bag when at beach or dirty environment and
    still use it inside the bag

  9. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> >> Aside from interacting with my other PDAs, and the occasional print job
    >> >> at an office that doesn't exist anymore, I've never used it.
    >> >
    >> >Switch to BT.

    >>
    >> The printer didn't support BT. I actually have a laser printer that
    >> supports IR now, but since it's over 30LBs, and hard wired to my
    >> desktop, I can't think of any case where I'd ever use this functionality
    >> anymore.

    >
    >I saw this at a CompUSA not too long ago:
    >http://ambicom.com/products/air2net/wbpkit.html
    >
    >It's a BT adapter for USB printers.


    I just can't think of a time/place where I'd use this -- It's bigger
    then I could carry around in my backpack to plug in to any printer I run
    across, and at home, I can't think of a time I'd print anything from my
    Palm rather then my desktop.

    Neat idea though, if I didn't already have full printer capability from
    my laptop I'd debate picking one up.

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  10. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Actually, I'd much rather a flip or slider, to protect the keypad and
    >>screen. However, there aren't any that fit my budget and OS
    >>preferences.

    >
    >Understood
    >
    >But the thing a candy bar phone has going for it
    >besides being less mechanical...is that I can zip it up
    >in a ziplock bag when at beach or dirty environment and
    >still use it inside the bag


    There is that... OTOH, you could do that with a sliding phone too, no?

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  11. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >>What carrier? What country?

    >
    >With Sprint in the USA


    It may vary depending on your area, and/or your voice plan, but it looks
    like voice plans range from $29.99/month to $99.99/month, unlimited data
    is another $15/month.

    This was found in about 30 seconds of searching from Palm's Treo 650
    site, there may well be other or better choices.

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  12. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >There is that... OTOH, you could do that with a sliding phone too, no?


    yeah....I suppose so..... maybe a bit harder tho

  13. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    news:9bqfj2pdgfnovuntjtjl5740oppk27v23u@4ax.com...
    > In message me@privacy.net
    > wrote:
    >
    >>DevilsPGD wrote:
    >>
    >>>What carrier? What country?

    >>
    >>With Sprint in the USA

    >
    > It may vary depending on your area, and/or your voice plan, but it looks
    > like voice plans range from $29.99/month to $99.99/month, unlimited data
    > is another $15/month.
    >
    > This was found in about 30 seconds of searching from Palm's Treo 650
    > site, there may well be other or better choices.


    I don't know if they still offer it, but when I got my Treo 650 a year ago,
    their minimum voice plan was $35/month, and the minimum unlimited data plan
    was $10/month. This doesn't include any free text messaging though.

    --
    Eric Backus


  14. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> Blazer is pretty must crap. Slow, unstable (okay, it rarely crashes, it
    >> just causes soft resets) generally renders pretty poorly.

    >
    >Blazer works for me.


    I may as well drag up an old thread and get the last word

    I applied the NVFS patch to the Treo 650, since then Blazer has been
    100% stable. I suspect if Palm bothered to port the patch to the T|X
    (unless they did since I last complained, in which case I'll eat my
    words), it might make the difference on that platform too.

    --
    If you take a shower, where do you put it?

  15. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    __/ [ DevilsPGD ] on Monday 16 October 2006 15:50 \__

    > In message Jim
    > Anderson wrote:
    >
    >>In article <5013982.9kFst7uLMh@schestowitz.com>, Roy Schestowitz says...
    >>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/tc_nm/palm_treo_dc
    >>>
    >>> "The new Treo 680 aims to meet growing demand for so-called smartphones
    >>> -- devices that receive e-mail wirelessly, let users listen to digital
    >>> music, and handle other features beyond talk. Research In Motion Ltd.'s
    >>> Blackberry is best known for its e-mail capabilities."
    >>>

    >>
    >>Old news, Palm already has a Treo680 webpage
    >><http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...80/index.html?
    >>creativeID=HmPg_BB|treo680_announcement>



    Jim,

    My reply is very much belated because my news server was down for a week.
    Thanks for the information. Clearly you beat me to the news! *smile*


    > So this just looks like a little bit more memory, unless I missed
    > something big?



    I still look forward to models that are based on the work from
    PalmSource/ACCESS. Hopefully they will integrate better with a variety of
    platforms. I was rather worried to see Treos adopting WinCE to an extent,
    having been with Palm for over 4 years.

    Best wishes,

    Roy

  16. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message <6578927.AL8dVk9tyg@schestowitz.com> Roy Schestowitz
    wrote:

    >__/ [ DevilsPGD ] on Monday 16 October 2006 15:50 \__
    >
    >> In message Jim
    >> Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <5013982.9kFst7uLMh@schestowitz.com>, Roy Schestowitz says...
    >>>
    >>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061012/tc_nm/palm_treo_dc
    >>>>
    >>>> "The new Treo 680 aims to meet growing demand for so-called smartphones
    >>>> -- devices that receive e-mail wirelessly, let users listen to digital
    >>>> music, and handle other features beyond talk. Research In Motion Ltd.'s
    >>>> Blackberry is best known for its e-mail capabilities."
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Old news, Palm already has a Treo680 webpage
    >>><http://www.palm.com/us/products/smar...80/index.html?
    >>>creativeID=HmPg_BB|treo680_announcement>

    >
    >
    >Jim,
    >
    >My reply is very much belated because my news server was down for a week.
    >Thanks for the information. Clearly you beat me to the news! *smile*
    >
    >
    >> So this just looks like a little bit more memory, unless I missed
    >> something big?

    >
    >
    >I still look forward to models that are based on the work from
    >PalmSource/ACCESS. Hopefully they will integrate better with a variety of
    >platforms. I was rather worried to see Treos adopting WinCE to an extent,
    >having been with Palm for over 4 years.


    Agreed.

    I'm liking the 700p, but waiting for a GSM version, that's the only
    reason I'm disappointed with the 680.

    --
    If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight
    fire, what do freedom fighters fight?

  17. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    Gerry (The MOTH) wrote:

    > Why can't Palm produce a Treo with a 3.5mm connector so you can use your own
    > headphones in it. I've got the adaptor, but its just another extra you need
    > to carry about (and lose).
    >
    > Also when are they going to bring a Treo out with 3G/BT/Wifi? I want to be
    > able to connect to the internet via Wifi, sync using BT and check emails on
    > the go using 3G.


    And what about FM and digital radio?
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    http://www.RQNNE.dk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3