  1. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    "Chuck" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:TJ9Zg.4441$qv6.910@trnddc06...
    > How do you activate it?

    install apps like "graffiti anywhere"

  2. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >> >Remember, your TX may have had 128M of internal storage, but the Treo
    >> >only has 24M.

    >> My biggest complain about the Treo... I'd pay a fair chunk more for
    >> enough memory on-board to not feel like I need an SD card for the
    >> expansion (don't get me wrong, I use it to store and move data too)

    >The 700p (CDMA) and the 680 (GSM, not out yet) have more memory than
    >the 650.

    The 700p looked like a nice unit, but GSM is a requirement for me.

    The 680, aside from not being out, is only 64MB of memory. The 700p
    apparently has 128MB, but only 60MB is user accessible, so that's not
    much better.

    Neither is large enough, I used to have 40MB of data with me. Sure I
    can keep it on the SD card, the performance isn't even *that* bad, but I
    rather liked having it on-board.

    >> On the plus side, the bandwidth utilization is substantially less, due
    >> to the fact that it uses a proxy architecture, so the pages are already
    >> fitted to your device's screen as they're downloaded. This was my main
    >> motivation, after having noticed that a few sites I'm interested in
    >> accessing from my Palm are well over 500KB (as downloaded by Blazer), or
    >> less then 3KB (as downloaded by Opera Mini)

    >OTOH, if you stick to mobile-optimized pages, you don't need to do
    >that.
    >
    >Maybe if I actually used mobile data a lot, I'd care more.

    If you don't mind me asking, why have a smartphone at all?

    For me, it's the convergence of voice, text and data on one device that
    is the big pull. Even then, I've resisted since I could use bluetooth
    to bridge the gap and not be tied to a single unit, but having
    discovered a true IMAP PUSH solution for Palm, I jumped ship (well,
    that, plus the keyboard...)

    Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious -- I'm still not sure how I
    like holding my Palm up to my face, and already I'm getting annoyed at
    not being able to use my PDA while I'm on the phone (well, without a
    bluetooth headset, which I usually have with me anyway)

    --
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

  3. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message Chuck
    wrote:

    >Andre Thoma wrote:
    >> "Chuck" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >>> Where did you even find Graffiti on the treo 650? The only input method
    >>> on mine is the built in keyboard.

    >> graffiti is pre installed on EVERY Palm OS handheld. it's graffiti2 on the
    >> treo 650. so as i said, it is alrealdy included in the Palm OS 5 the treo
    >> ships with.
    >> the only problem is, you can't use is out of the box.
    >>

    >How do you activate it?

    Graffiti anywhere...

    --
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

  4. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    Graffiti Anywhere
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...e&prodid=45227

    I've used it for my Treo 600, but got fed up with it, would rather use the
    qwerty keyboard and the stylus
    --
    Gerry (The MOTH)

    "DevilsPGD" wrote in message
    > In message Chuck
    > wrote:

    >>DevilsPGD wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) When typing (Graffiti) I often get letters doubled. When
    >>> backspacing, I'll get a Java VM error and it either quits, or needs a
    >>> reboot.

    >>Where did you even find Graffiti on the treo 650? The only input method
    >>on mine is the built in keyboard.

    > Actually, I was using a T|X during that crash. I just got my Treo
    > yesterday and don't have (nor do I plan on having) Opera Mini on that
    > one.
    >
    > --
    > Getting married for sex is like buying a 747 for the free peanuts
    > -- Jeff Foxworthy

  5. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > >The 700p (CDMA) and the 680 (GSM, not out yet) have more memory than
    > >the 650.

    > The 700p looked like a nice unit, but GSM is a requirement for me.
    >
    > The 680, aside from not being out, is only 64MB of memory. The 700p
    > apparently has 128MB, but only 60MB is user accessible, so that's not
    > much better.

    In that case, the 680 has more memory, as the specs say it's 64M of
    +user accessible+ memory.

    > >Maybe if I actually used mobile data a lot, I'd care more.

    > If you don't mind me asking, why have a smartphone at all?

    Because I'm a technophile who got fed up with carrying both a phone and
    a PDA. I got fed up with double-maintenance of my phone book, and then
    having to juggle the two devices because the number I wanted to call I
    never entered into the phone's memory after all.

    > Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious -- I'm still not sure how I
    > like holding my Palm up to my face, and already I'm getting annoyed at
    > not being able to use my PDA while I'm on the phone (well, without a
    > bluetooth headset, which I usually have with me anyway)

    I discovered the joys of a BT headset (once I found one that was loud
    enough without being an earbud) when my brother got me the Palm cradle
    for Hanukah last year - which blocks the headset socket.

    I'm not comfortable holding a handset up to my face anyway. Wedging it
    with my shoulder is uncomfortable to start with, and holding it with my
    hand means I've then only got one hand available for typing.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: DEFENESTRATION:
    The act of throwing someone or something out of a window. A word that
    is neologism's paradigm and justification. If the word were not needed
    to describe the act, the act would need to be performed to justify the
    word.

  6. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    > The 680, aside from not being out, is only 64MB of memory. The 700p
    > apparently has 128MB, but only 60MB is user accessible, so that's not
    > much better.

    Since the 700p has a lot of standard software installed on the other
    60MB, yes it makes a big difference.

    > Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious -- I'm still not sure how I
    > like holding my Palm up to my face, and already I'm getting annoyed at
    > not being able to use my PDA while I'm on the phone (well, without a
    > bluetooth headset, which I usually have with me anyway)

    What? Simply throw it into speaker phone mode and you are free to use
    it as a PDA during the call. No BT headset required. Actually, in a
    quiet room one need not even use speaker phone mode.

    Doug Hoffman

  7. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >For me, it's the convergence of voice, text and data on one device that
    >is the big pull. Even then, I've resisted since I could use bluetooth
    >to bridge the gap and not be tied to a single unit, but having
    >discovered a true IMAP PUSH solution for Palm, I jumped ship (well,
    >that, plus the keyboard...)

    So has jumping on the "convergence" bandwagon proved to
    be a wise move?

    Or do you still wish you'd gone separate devices?

  8. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >>For me, it's the convergence of voice, text and data on one device that
    >>is the big pull. Even then, I've resisted since I could use bluetooth
    >>to bridge the gap and not be tied to a single unit, but having
    >>discovered a true IMAP PUSH solution for Palm, I jumped ship (well,
    >>that, plus the keyboard...)

    >So has jumping on the "convergence" bandwagon proved to
    >be a wise move?
    >
    >Or do you still wish you'd gone separate devices?

    I have a Palm T|X and a Razr kicking around (Both my Treo and Razr are
    GSM, so I can go back and forth as I like)

    So far, I'm impressed -- I'm still carrying two devices, instead of a
    PDA and a phone, it's a PDA+Phone and headset.

    My biggest motivation was the massive battery drain on the Razr
    resulting from keeping a bluetooth session up between the T|X and Razr
    all the time. I'm using push email a lot more then I thought I would.

    I TXT a lot, and although I don't mind the Razr's keypad, this is much
    better.

    All in all, well worth the $350 I paid, and I'll probably pick up a 680
    as soon as they're out.

    --
    Going to church doesn't make you a christian any more than
    standing in a garage makes you a car.

  9. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that me@privacy.net claimed:

    > So has jumping on the "convergence" bandwagon proved to
    > be a wise move?
    >
    > Or do you still wish you'd gone separate devices?

    I know you didn't ask me specifically, but this is a public forum...

    I do not regret going to a convergent device. I did this almost four
    years ago for reasons I've already described upthread. I went from a
    Motorola something phone + Sony Clie to a Kyocera 7135.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #41. If my True Love is captured
    and forced into marriage with the Evil Overlord, I will not attempt to
    rescue her until after the ceremony, unless said ceremony will
    irrevocably harm or alter her in some way.

  10. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message <1161164091.716327.224520@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>
    dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >> The 680, aside from not being out, is only 64MB of memory. The 700p
    >> apparently has 128MB, but only 60MB is user accessible, so that's not
    >> much better.

    >Since the 700p has a lot of standard software installed on the other
    >60MB, yes it makes a big difference.

    There is precious little of the built-in software I use on my 650... Is
    the 700p any better?

    >> Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious -- I'm still not sure how I
    >> like holding my Palm up to my face, and already I'm getting annoyed at
    >> not being able to use my PDA while I'm on the phone (well, without a
    >> bluetooth headset, which I usually have with me anyway)

    >What? Simply throw it into speaker phone mode and you are free to use
    >it as a PDA during the call. No BT headset required. Actually, in a
    >quiet room one need not even use speaker phone mode.

    I don't know about anyone else, but I use my cell out in public too --
    Speaker phone isn't an option.

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  11. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message <7yCZg.50049$Qt.827653@wagner.videotron.net> "Harry Eugene
    Ly" wrote:

    >WIFI is also a service carrier killer ;-) Service carriers want you to use
    >their data plan. It is a cash cow for them.

    Sure. Too bad.

    On the flip side, if I can use it free at home, I'll use it all the time
    and I'm more likely to use it while I'm out if I'm not thinking.

    As is it, I'm always frugal, so I don't even have any really bandwidth
    intensive needs even at home.

    Also consider that a number of carriers offer unlimited data plans.
    You'd think they're want to encourage me to not use it more then needed
    (but conversely, for non-unlimited plans, the more I use the happier the
    carrier is)

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  12. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message <9gfbj2d824h2dc2ttor5ocol6av4pncupu@gordol.org> Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> >The 700p (CDMA) and the 680 (GSM, not out yet) have more memory than
    >> >the 650.

    >> The 700p looked like a nice unit, but GSM is a requirement for me.
    >>
    >> The 680, aside from not being out, is only 64MB of memory. The 700p
    >> apparently has 128MB, but only 60MB is user accessible, so that's not
    >> much better.

    >In that case, the 680 has more memory, as the specs say it's 64M of
    >+user accessible+ memory.

    Yeah... Better, but not a ton. I'd like to see 512MB.

    I also see no IR port. Probably not a huge deal, but the IR port saved
    my butt more then once on pre-SD-card models so I'm nervous at not
    having one.

    Aside from interacting with my other PDAs, and the occasional print job
    at an office that doesn't exist anymore, I've never used it.

    >> >Maybe if I actually used mobile data a lot, I'd care more.

    >> If you don't mind me asking, why have a smartphone at all?

    >Because I'm a technophile who got fed up with carrying both a phone and
    >a PDA. I got fed up with double-maintenance of my phone book, and then
    >having to juggle the two devices because the number I wanted to call I
    >never entered into the phone's memory after all.

    Ahh, makes sense. I went the SyncML route to keep my phone up to date,
    but this is easier.

    >> Not trying to argue, I'm genuinely curious -- I'm still not sure how I
    >> like holding my Palm up to my face, and already I'm getting annoyed at
    >> not being able to use my PDA while I'm on the phone (well, without a
    >> bluetooth headset, which I usually have with me anyway)

    >I discovered the joys of a BT headset (once I found one that was loud
    >enough without being an earbud) when my brother got me the Palm cradle
    >for Hanukah last year - which blocks the headset socket.

    Makes sense.

    >I'm not comfortable holding a handset up to my face anyway. Wedging it
    >with my shoulder is uncomfortable to start with, and holding it with my
    >hand means I've then only got one hand available for typing.

    Yeah -- I'll hold it up to my face when needed, but it's not that
    comfortable, and besides, the entire reason I've avoided a smartphone
    until now was the simple fact that I want to use my Palm while I'm on
    the phone (in fact, the majority of my calls use my Palm either to look
    something up, or jot something down)

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  13. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:

    > I also see no IR port. Probably not a huge deal, but the IR port saved
    > my butt more then once on pre-SD-card models so I'm nervous at not
    > having one.

    The photo captions don't mention it, but the text below the photos
    does.

    > Aside from interacting with my other PDAs, and the occasional print job
    > at an office that doesn't exist anymore, I've never used it.

    Switch to BT.

    > Yeah -- I'll hold it up to my face when needed, but it's not that
    > comfortable, and besides, the entire reason I've avoided a smartphone
    > until now was the simple fact that I want to use my Palm while I'm on
    > the phone (in fact, the majority of my calls use my Palm either to look
    > something up, or jot something down)

    Then you really want a BT headset. I like the Logitech Mobile
    Traveler. It's lightweight, it's got really good volume (I can hear it
    while highway driving), and it holds onto my ear.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "... both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to
    announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or
    we will." - George W. Bush on Saddam Hussein, Manchester, NH, Oct 5,
    2002

  14. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >>WIFI is also a service carrier killer ;-) Service carriers want you to use
    >>their data plan. It is a cash cow for them.

    >Sure. Too bad.

    have you ever considered using a different smart phone
    other than Treo?

    Maybe something like this PPC6700? It has wifi. see
    link

    http://tinyurl.com/cgsb6

    Or do you like the candy bar phones like the Treo
    better?

    I've looked at that PPC6700 and am a bit concerned abt
    the "slider" mechanism and how robust it would be in
    daily use

    Any thoughts on that?

  15. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    DevilsPGD wrote:

    >Also consider that a number of carriers offer unlimited data plans.

    Does anyone know exactly what the monthly cost would be
    on a Treo with an unlimited data plan as well as phone
    service?

  16. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    A bit off topic but just wanted to share that if anyone
    is thinking abt a Treo make sure to check getting the
    unit thru Costco.

    Costco adds a lot of value to the deal..... case,
    accessories, etc.

    Problem is they don't have the 700 in yet.

    Plus I doubt the will carry the 680 either as Costco
    only had Sprint offerings (in my area anwya)

  17. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >A bit off topic but just wanted to share that if anyone
    >is thinking abt a Treo make sure to check getting the
    >unit thru Costco.

    Costco.ca... No results found for "treo". Corrected to "tree"

    Shame, you can't beat Costco's warranty terms.

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  18. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message <6l4fj25r6us42ueepg84tbta0bd1f2go1a@4ax.com> me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >>>WIFI is also a service carrier killer ;-) Service carriers want you to use
    >>>their data plan. It is a cash cow for them.

    >>Sure. Too bad.

    >have you ever considered using a different smart phone
    >other than Treo?
    >
    >Maybe something like this PPC6700? It has wifi. see
    >link
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/cgsb6
    >
    >Or do you like the candy bar phones like the Treo
    >better?
    >
    >I've looked at that PPC6700 and am a bit concerned abt
    >the "slider" mechanism and how robust it would be in
    >daily use
    >
    >Any thoughts on that?

    I've used Windows Mobile before, long enough to know not to go back.
    It's not on my radar for a PDA, and definitely not for a smartphone.

    I'll reevaluate down the road, but today, I'd be looking at repurchasing
    a large collection of software, plus the simple lack of useful freeware
    on the WM platform (Yes there is a lot out there now, but little that
    interest me)

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  19. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message Jeffrey
    Kaplan wrote:

    >It is alleged that DevilsPGD claimed:
    >
    >> I also see no IR port. Probably not a huge deal, but the IR port saved
    >> my butt more then once on pre-SD-card models so I'm nervous at not
    >> having one.

    >The photo captions don't mention it, but the text below the photos
    >does.

    Yeah -- I'm not sure which I trust yet.

    >> Aside from interacting with my other PDAs, and the occasional print job
    >> at an office that doesn't exist anymore, I've never used it.

    >Switch to BT.

    The printer didn't support BT. I actually have a laser printer that
    supports IR now, but since it's over 30LBs, and hard wired to my
    desktop, I can't think of any case where I'd ever use this functionality
    anymore.

    >> Yeah -- I'll hold it up to my face when needed, but it's not that
    >> comfortable, and besides, the entire reason I've avoided a smartphone
    >> until now was the simple fact that I want to use my Palm while I'm on
    >> the phone (in fact, the majority of my calls use my Palm either to look
    >> something up, or jot something down)

    >Then you really want a BT headset. I like the Logitech Mobile
    >Traveler. It's lightweight, it's got really good volume (I can hear it
    >while highway driving), and it holds onto my ear.

    I'm a huge fan of my BT headset (Motorola HS850 -- It's even been
    through the washer, so it's squeaky clean and still works great!)

    I'll check out the Logitech one though, the volume on the Motorola is a
    bit lacking.

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?

  20. Re: Treo 680 is Coming...

    In message me@privacy.net
    wrote:

    >DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >>Also consider that a number of carriers offer unlimited data plans.

    >Does anyone know exactly what the monthly cost would be
    >on a Treo with an unlimited data plan as well as phone
    >service?

    What carrier? What country?

    --
    Don't you hate rhetorical questions?