Aren't there any good free apps - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Aren't there any good free apps - Palmtop ; What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've hardly found any for Palm. Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Aren't there any good free apps

    What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    hardly found any for Palm.

    Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    PowerRun - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    Documents to Go - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM

    The list goes on.

    I'm about ready to switch back. :-(

  2. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    On 2006-10-12, Chuck wrote:
    > What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    > good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    > hardly found any for Palm.
    >
    > Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    > Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    > PowerRun - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    > Documents to Go - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    > Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    > PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM
    >
    > The list goes on.
    >
    > I'm about ready to switch back. :-(

    Where have you been looking?

    Look at www.palmopensource.com
    and www.freewarepalm.com.

    You can also look at the big 3rd party sites (palmgear.com, handango.com,
    ....) and sort on price from low to high.

    Also look for PalmOS projects on sites like sourceforge.net.

    HTH

    Ton van Overbeek

  3. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Ton van Overbeek wrote:
    > On 2006-10-12, Chuck wrote:
    >> What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    >> good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    >> hardly found any for Palm.
    >>
    >> Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    >> Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    >> PowerRun - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    >> Documents to Go - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    >> Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    >> PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM
    >>
    >> The list goes on.
    >>
    >> I'm about ready to switch back. :-(

    > Where have you been looking?

    Obviously in the wrong places.

    > Look at www.palmopensource.com
    > and www.freewarepalm.com.
    >
    > You can also look at the big 3rd party sites (palmgear.com, handango.com,
    > ...) and sort on price from low to high.
    >
    > Also look for PalmOS projects on sites like sourceforge.net.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Ton van Overbeek

    Thanks.

  4. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Chuck wrote:

    > What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    > good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    > hardly found any for Palm.
    >
    > Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    > Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    > PowerRun - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    > Documents to Go - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    > Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM
    > PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM
    >
    > The list goes on.
    >
    > I'm about ready to switch back. :-(

    If you switch back, can I have your Palm? :-)

    Seriously, I guess it depends on what you're trying to do. I run a
    number of free apps on my Clie (Bible+, Metro, Converter, BigClock,
    EasyCalc, Graffiti Anywhere, Avantgo, Plucker, LAMPWords, and a number
    of games). It's a handy little box.

    Still, if what you really want is a handheld computer, you should get
    one, instead of a glorified calendar/notebook/rolodex (IMHO, of course).
    What the Palm does, it does well. But some tasks are probably better
    done on a WM box or a laptop (my personal pref).

  5. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    It is alleged that Chuck claimed:

    > Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    Filez is free. Not as pretty as RExplore, but still damn good.

    > Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM

    I haven't seen any need for an uninstaller on the Palm.

    > PowerRun - gotta pay - not needed on WM

    Not needed on Palm, either.

    > Documents to Go - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    A version of DTG is included bundled (ie, "free to you") on most (all?)
    Palm's installation CD. My Treo came with v7 "Standard".

    > Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    Never looked into this, as I have no use for it.

    > PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM

    A version of PowerOne was included on the Clies. Clies are no longer
    made. OTOH, have you tried pressing the RIGHT button on the 5Way on
    your Palm when in the calculator?

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #54. I
    will not strike a bargain with a demonic being then attempt to double-
    cross it simply because I feel like being contrary.

  6. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Here in comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,
    Chuck spake unto us, saying:

    >What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    >good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    >hardly found any for Palm.

    That's because you need to look. :-)

    http://www.freewarepalm.com
    http://www.palmgear.com
    http://www.tucows.com/Windows/PDA/PalmOS/

    >I'm about ready to switch back. :-(

    First impressions are not always accurate. There are thousands of free
    programs for the Palm.

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  7. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    On Thursday 12 October 2006 8:26 pm, in MID <1GwXg.2422$i84.191@trnddc01>,
    Chuck (skilover_nospam@bluebottle.com) wrote:

    > What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    > good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    > hardly found any for Palm.

    Where are you looking?

    > Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    What does it do ? I've no idea.

    > Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    > PowerRun - gotta pay - not needed on WM

    Don't know them either.

    > Documents to Go - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    Came free with my Tungsten E

    > Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    What's that ?

    > PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM

    A version was on the CD that came with my Palm.

    > The list goes on.
    >
    > I'm about ready to switch back. :-(

    Perhaps if you said what applications you need/want, someone might be able
    to offer some suggestions ?

    --
    Ian...

  8. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    It is alleged that ian claimed:

    > > Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    > What does it do ? I've no idea.

    It's a file manager for Palm. It's build to function more or less the
    same way that Windows Explorer does, using drag and drop to move stuff
    around, rather than menu options. If you're uses to the way Filez or
    McFile work, it'll take some getting used to.

    > > Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM
    > > Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    > What's that ?

    It's a text entry tool. Uses autocomplete.

    > > PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM

    > A version was on the CD that came with my Palm.

    Not on mine.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #201.
    All giant serpents acting as guardians in underground lakes will be
    fitted with sports goggles to prevent eye injuries.

  9. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    On Friday 13 October 2006 6:52 pm, in MID
    , Jeffrey Kaplan
    (nomail@gordol.org) wrote:

    > It is alleged that ian claimed:
    >
    >> > Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    >> What does it do ? I've no idea.

    > It's a file manager for Palm. It's build to function more or less the
    > same way that Windows Explorer does, using drag and drop to move stuff
    > around, rather than menu options. If you're uses to the way Filez or
    > McFile work, it'll take some getting used to.

    I see. I've FileZ, Gentleman, Fileprog and 3Xcom on my T|E.

    >> > Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    >> What's that ?

    > It's a text entry tool. Uses autocomplete.

    I've never investigated anything like that. Perhaps I will sometime, but the
    T|E is my first Palm, and I've found Graffiti2 to be adequate for my
    needs...

    >> > PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM

    >> A version was on the CD that came with my Palm.

    > Not on mine.

    Perhaps it depends on the model, and where in the world it's bought ?

    --
    Ian...

  10. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:26:53 GMT, Chuck
    wrote:

    >What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    >good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    >hardly found any for Palm.

    This statement is funny in that people usually say the reverse - Palm
    has more free stuff than Windows Mobile, except that the majority of
    the free stuff is pretty useless. However, the commercial software is
    reasonably priced however.

    >Resco explorer - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    Resco Explorer is a great file manager, and there is a Palm version
    also (not as good though). However, it is not part of Windows Mobile.
    Some PPCs include it, but most do not and you have to buy it. There
    are more free Palm file managers

    >Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM

    Not needed in Palm. Why do you state that it is needed on Palm, and
    not WM ?? The uninstall in WM leaves more junk than Palm does

    >PowerRun - gotta pay - not needed on WM

    I thought this is redundant now. Almost all Palm programs can run off
    the memory card now

    >Documents to Go - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    Most Palms come with this free. You need to install it off the CD in
    some cases however.

    >Textplus - gotta pay - free built in on WM

    This is true. Palm should include a word completion tool.

    >PowerOne - gotta pay - uncountable free alternatives for WM
    >
    >The list goes on.

    You probably need to search in the right places.

    Having said that, I now prefer WM than Palm. A lot more GPS software
    for WM than Palm. I also use StyleTap to run Palm programs on my PPC.

  11. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    The stuff at http://freewarepalm.com/ isn't enough?
    --
    Mike Koenecke
    http://macros.koenecke.us

  12. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Jason wrote:

    >> Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM

    > Not needed in Palm. Why do you state that it is needed on Palm, and
    > not WM ?? The uninstall in WM leaves more junk than Palm does

    Have you ever tried uninstalling apps on the palm? Have you tried to
    figure out what components belong to the app you are uninstalling?

    WM uses activesync to install/uninstall or you can uninstall directly on
    the unit. You don't need to guess at which components belong to the app.
    You simply highlight the app and remove it. Done. With palm you have to
    go through a list of potentially hundreds of components and hope you are
    guessing the at the right ones.

  13. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Mike Koenecke wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 02:51:53 GMT, Jason
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:26:53 GMT, Chuck
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> What a difference coming from Windows Mobile to Palm. Aren't there any
    >>> good free apps for PalmOS? There were literally thousands for WM. I've
    >>> hardly found any for Palm.

    > The stuff at http://freewarepalm.com/ isn't enough?
    > --
    > Mike Koenecke
    > http://macros.koenecke.us
    > to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

    The site has so many popups and pop behinds I wouldn't use it for anything.

  14. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    It is alleged that Chuck claimed:

    > Have you ever tried uninstalling apps on the palm? Have you tried to
    > figure out what components belong to the app you are uninstalling?
    >
    > WM uses activesync to install/uninstall or you can uninstall directly on
    > the unit. You don't need to guess at which components belong to the app.
    > You simply highlight the app and remove it. Done. With palm you have to
    > go through a list of potentially hundreds of components and hope you are
    > guessing the at the right ones.

    What have you been doing? A well-written app for Palm does not do
    that. I think I've only had to manually delete stuff left behind on a
    Palm twice in the seven or eight years I've been using them.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If civil authorities legislate for or allow anything that is contrary
    to the will of God, neither the laws made nor the authorizations
    granted can be binding on the consciences of the citizens, since God
    has more right to be obeyed than men." - Pope John XXIII

  15. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    InWatch (www.stacworks.com) is the dogs bo11ocks for installing apps on the
    palm. Never install anything without it.

    You take a snapshot of your internal memory, install the prc file, open the
    app up (Some files will only be created once you actually run the app), then
    the files which have been installed since the last snapshot and it then
    labels the installation for you so you can delete it later if you wish.

    --
    Gerry (The MOTH)
    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > Jason wrote:
    >

    >>> Cleanuninstaller - gotta pay - not needed on WM

    >> Not needed in Palm. Why do you state that it is needed on Palm, and
    >> not WM ?? The uninstall in WM leaves more junk than Palm does
    >>

    > Have you ever tried uninstalling apps on the palm? Have you tried to
    > figure out what components belong to the app you are uninstalling?
    >
    > WM uses activesync to install/uninstall or you can uninstall directly on
    > the unit. You don't need to guess at which components belong to the app.
    > You simply highlight the app and remove it. Done. With palm you have to
    > go through a list of potentially hundreds of components and hope you are
    > guessing the at the right ones.

  16. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    > It is alleged that Chuck claimed:
    >
    >> Have you ever tried uninstalling apps on the palm? Have you tried to
    >> figure out what components belong to the app you are uninstalling?
    >>
    >> WM uses activesync to install/uninstall or you can uninstall directly on
    >> the unit. You don't need to guess at which components belong to the app.
    >> You simply highlight the app and remove it. Done. With palm you have to
    >> go through a list of potentially hundreds of components and hope you are
    >> guessing the at the right ones.

    > What have you been doing? A well-written app for Palm does not do
    > that. I think I've only had to manually delete stuff left behind on a
    > Palm twice in the seven or eight years I've been using them.

    I'm not writing apps so I don't have control over whether they are well
    written or not. I'm testing out freeware apps and removing them if I
    don't like them. If I use Palm's application launcher to remove apps
    (menu, delete), it deletes the app itself but nothing else created by
    the app or it's installer.

    A perfect example would be Avantgo. I installed it in order to download
    MapQuest maps to my Treo. When I realized what an oversized piece of
    crap it was (my opinion), I tried to delete it. There must have been 20
    components that it installed and some of them weren't named anything
    close to "Avantgo". In fact they were named very similarly to components
    for other applications that I did *NOT* want to delete, and they were
    consuming several megabytes of precious RAM in the device and not on the
    SD card (the app insisted on creating it's huge files on the device even
    though I installed it to the SD card). I never had this problem on WM.
    Just select"Avantgo" and remove it - done.

  17. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Chuck, as stated before, you need to install InWatch.

    If I've time tonight I'll send you the version of InWatch I use or email me
    (I'm sure I sent you an email before).

    --
    Gerry (The MOTH)

    "Chuck" wrote in message
    > Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
    >> It is alleged that Chuck claimed:
    >>
    >>> Have you ever tried uninstalling apps on the palm? Have you tried to
    >>> figure out what components belong to the app you are uninstalling?
    >>>
    >>> WM uses activesync to install/uninstall or you can uninstall directly on
    >>> the unit. You don't need to guess at which components belong to the app.
    >>> You simply highlight the app and remove it. Done. With palm you have to
    >>> go through a list of potentially hundreds of components and hope you are
    >>> guessing the at the right ones.

    >> What have you been doing? A well-written app for Palm does not do
    >> that. I think I've only had to manually delete stuff left behind on a
    >> Palm twice in the seven or eight years I've been using them.
    >>

    > I'm not writing apps so I don't have control over whether they are well
    > written or not. I'm testing out freeware apps and removing them if I
    > don't like them. If I use Palm's application launcher to remove apps
    > (menu, delete), it deletes the app itself but nothing else created by
    > the app or it's installer.
    >
    > A perfect example would be Avantgo. I installed it in order to download
    > MapQuest maps to my Treo. When I realized what an oversized piece of
    > crap it was (my opinion), I tried to delete it. There must have been 20
    > components that it installed and some of them weren't named anything
    > close to "Avantgo". In fact they were named very similarly to components
    > for other applications that I did *NOT* want to delete, and they were
    > consuming several megabytes of precious RAM in the device and not on the
    > SD card (the app insisted on creating it's huge files on the device even
    > though I installed it to the SD card). I never had this problem on WM.
    > Just select"Avantgo" and remove it - done.

  18. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    W wiadomosci: xGMYg.361$4T6.97@trnddc02,
    Chuck napisal:

    >> The stuff at http://freewarepalm.com/ isn't enough?
    >> --
    >> Mike Koenecke
    >> http://macros.koenecke.us
    >> to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

    > The site has so many popups and pop behinds I wouldn't use it for
    > anything.

    Depends what browser you use. On Firefox there is no pop-ups at all and site
    is full of nice apps.

    --
    Pozdrawiam, Paulus
    Join US... Find THEM... http://tiny.pl/zfc

  19. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Gerry (The MOTH) wrote:
    > Chuck, as stated before, you need to install InWatch.
    >
    > If I've time tonight I'll send you the version of InWatch I use or email me
    > (I'm sure I sent you an email before).

    I thought when I looked at it, it was not freeware. I know it's only 5
    bucks but I'm to cheap for even that. Especially considering the device
    belongs to the company and if I ever leave, I'll own a bunch of software
    that I paid for and can't use.

    You did email me before about this. I ended up finding another freeware
    uninstaller called "deInstaller lite" which seems to be working well for
    me. I'd still like to find a freeware app that lets me install programs
    to the SD card but still have an icon for them in one of the other
    categories.

  20. Re: Aren't there any good free apps

    Paulus wrote:
    > W wiadomosci: xGMYg.361$4T6.97@trnddc02,
    > Chuck napisal:
    >
    >>> The stuff at http://freewarepalm.com/ isn't enough?
    >>> --
    >>> Mike Koenecke
    >>> http://macros.koenecke.us
    >>> to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

    >> The site has so many popups and pop behinds I wouldn't use it for
    >> anything.

    > Depends what browser you use. On Firefox there is no pop-ups at all and site
    > is full of nice apps.

    I use firefox version 1.5.0.7. I get the message "firefox has prevented
    this site from opening a popup window", but popunders still make it
    through some how. The one I just got a few minutes ago when I visited to
    see exactly what happens was from fastclick.net - a known spyware site.
    I don't trust or use *any* site that pops up unwanted stuff like that.
    There's no telling what other unwanted stuff I could be getting if I
    download from them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast