TX crashes when opening WiFi? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on TX crashes when opening WiFi? - Palmtop ; About half the time, my Palm TX crashes when I try to connect to a WiFi hotspot. The first time after a reset, the palm connects fine. If I subsequently disconnect and reconnect, it crashes with an "Emul68KMain.c, Line 456, ...

  1. TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    About half the time, my Palm TX crashes when I try to connect to a
    WiFi hotspot. The first time after a reset, the palm connects fine.
    If I subsequently disconnect and reconnect, it crashes with an
    "Emul68KMain.c, Line 456, line 1111 exception at address 0088xxxx"
    message. (The xxxx seems to vary somewhat, but I consistantly see the
    "0088" part of the address.) This happens no matter what application
    I'm currently in when I try to connect to WiFi, be it automatically
    when I enter Blazer or if I use the WiFi icon at the bottom of my
    screen.

    If I reset between connections, the problem doesn't happen.

    Google doesn't seem to help.

    Does anyone have any hints?

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  2. Re: TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    In article <4o06n3Fc8nquU1@individual.net>, Alan Hoyle says...

    > About half the time, my Palm TX crashes when I try to connect to a
    > WiFi hotspot. The first time after a reset, the palm connects fine.
    > If I subsequently disconnect and reconnect, it crashes with an
    > "Emul68KMain.c, Line 456, line 1111 exception at address 0088xxxx"
    > message. (The xxxx seems to vary somewhat, but I consistantly see the
    > "0088" part of the address.) This happens no matter what application
    > I'm currently in when I try to connect to WiFi, be it automatically
    > when I enter Blazer or if I use the WiFi icon at the bottom of my
    > screen.
    >
    > If I reset between connections, the problem doesn't happen.
    >
    > Google doesn't seem to help.
    >
    > Does anyone have any hints?
    >
    > -alan

    Seen this around, they say a soft reset before you use WiFi fixes this.
    Hope you TX'ers get a patch to fix this.

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  3. Re: TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    On 28 Sep 2006, Jim Anderson
    wrote:

    > In article <4o06n3Fc8nquU1@individual.net>, Alan Hoyle says...
    >
    >> About half the time, my Palm TX crashes when I try to connect to
    >> a WiFi hotspot. The first time after a reset, the palm connects
    >> fine. If I subsequently disconnect and reconnect, it crashes with
    >> an "Emul68KMain.c, Line 456, line 1111 exception at address
    >> 0088xxxx" message. (The xxxx seems to vary somewhat, but I
    >> consistantly see the "0088" part of the address.) This happens
    >> no matter what application I'm currently in when I try to connect
    >> to WiFi, be it automatically when I enter Blazer or if I use the
    >> WiFi icon at the bottom of my screen.
    >>
    >> If I reset between connections, the problem doesn't happen.
    >>
    >> Google doesn't seem to help.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any hints?

    > Seen this around, they say a soft reset before you use WiFi fixes
    > this. Hope you TX'ers get a patch to fix this.

    I've had my TX for almost a year now and never had this problem or
    heard of this, and I don't do a soft reset between wifi connections.
    Does a hard reset help at all?

    If this is a new TX, I'd return it. If not, did you by any chance
    install some third party software just before you first noticed the
    problem?

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  4. Re: TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:32:13 -0000, David Tiktin wrote:
    > On 28 Sep 2006, Jim Anderson
    > wrote:

    >> In article <4o06n3Fc8nquU1@individual.net>, Alan Hoyle says...
    >>
    >>> About half the time, my Palm TX crashes when I try to connect to
    >>> a WiFi hotspot. The first time after a reset, the palm connects
    >>> fine. If I subsequently disconnect and reconnect, it crashes with
    >>> an "Emul68KMain.c, Line 456, line 1111 exception at address
    >>> 0088xxxx" message. (The xxxx seems to vary somewhat, but I
    >>> consistantly see the "0088" part of the address.) This happens
    >>> no matter what application I'm currently in when I try to connect
    >>> to WiFi, be it automatically when I enter Blazer or if I use the
    >>> WiFi icon at the bottom of my screen.
    >>>
    >>> If I reset between connections, the problem doesn't happen.
    >>>
    >>> Google doesn't seem to help.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone have any hints?

    >> Seen this around, they say a soft reset before you use WiFi fixes
    >> this. Hope you TX'ers get a patch to fix this.

    > I've had my TX for almost a year now and never had this problem or
    > heard of this, and I don't do a soft reset between wifi connections.
    > Does a hard reset help at all?

    > If this is a new TX, I'd return it. If not, did you by any chance
    > install some third party software just before you first noticed the
    > problem?

    This is almost certainly a third party software conflict. If I do a
    cold reset (i.e. press "up" while resetting), wifi works fine and I
    get no crashes when I restart wifi. Is there a program(s) that allows
    me to step-through the startup process (to selectively turn on/off
    apps) to determine the problem instead of doing a hard reset and
    selectively reinstalling everything, one app at a time? I have a large
    number of third party applications on this thing and that would be
    quite tedious.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  5. Re: TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    I don't have a solution, but I do have a similar problem when the text
    field is overrun. That is when more text is input than can fit in the
    small test field, an expanded text box is supposed to pop up. Instead
    the Tx resets. I figured it was a program conflict, but the question
    is which one, or is it something else? Has anyone else seen this
    behavior? Are there any ideas where to look? Thanks.
    Alan Hoyle wrote:
    > About half the time, my Palm TX crashes when I try to connect to a
    > WiFi hotspot. The first time after a reset, the palm connects fine.
    > If I subsequently disconnect and reconnect, it crashes with an
    > "Emul68KMain.c, Line 456, line 1111 exception at address 0088xxxx"
    > message. (The xxxx seems to vary somewhat, but I consistantly see the
    > "0088" part of the address.) This happens no matter what application
    > I'm currently in when I try to connect to WiFi, be it automatically
    > when I enter Blazer or if I use the WiFi icon at the bottom of my
    > screen.
    >
    > If I reset between connections, the problem doesn't happen.
    >
    > Google doesn't seem to help.
    >
    > Does anyone have any hints?
    >
    > -alan
    >

    > --
    > Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
    > "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
    > Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  6. Re: TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    wrote in message
    news:1159471481.581627.30220@m7g2000cwm.googlegrou ps.com...
    >I don't have a solution, but I do have a similar problem when the text
    > field is overrun. That is when more text is input than can fit in the
    > small test field, an expanded text box is supposed to pop up. Instead
    > the Tx resets. I figured it was a program conflict, but the question
    > is which one, or is it something else? Has anyone else seen this
    > behavior? Are there any ideas where to look? Thanks.
    > Alan Hoyle wrote:

    ISTR that one of the fix programs that restored the home button to the menu
    bar did this. It was fixed in a later release. I can't remember which one it
    was - perhaps SharkTXFix? If it was, V1.2 does not have this problem.

    HTH

    Pete

  7. Re: TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    You might want to go to the Palm, Inc. wifi troubleshooting site:

    http://www.palm.com/us/support/guides/wi-fi/

    Heather

  8. Re: TX crashes when opening WiFi?

    Pete Franklin wrote:

    > ISTR that one of the fix programs that restored the home button to the
    > menu bar did this. It was fixed in a later release. I can't remember which
    > one it was - perhaps SharkTXFix? If it was, V1.2 does not have this
    > problem.

    SharkTXFix version 1.1 (and before?) did have a problem. About a
    month ago, I tried to download it, and was told it was made
    unavailable due to driver(?) issues.

    An alternative to SharkTXFix is Mobilestream's TX Home Button:
    http://www.mobile-stream.com/

    I've been using it, and have detected no problems thus far.

    As for the WiFi problem, I used to use a Palm Wireless Keyboard,
    and the driver, even the updated one, was terrible. The device
    would reset about half the time I connected through WiFi when
    the keyboard driver was running. The newer Palm _Universal_
    Wireless Keyboard works much better.

+ Reply to Thread