want to "undo" data beamed to new Palm - Palmtop

This is a discussion on want to "undo" data beamed to new Palm - Palmtop ; I just got my new Z22 and beamed over my old address/contact data from my old Palm IIIx. But, not really knowing what I was doing, I beamed "all" and everything ended up as "unfiled". I guess what I should ...

  1. want to "undo" data beamed to new Palm

    I just got my new Z22 and beamed over my old address/contact data from
    my old Palm IIIx.

    But, not really knowing what I was doing, I beamed "all" and everything
    ended up as "unfiled". I guess what I should have done was to manually
    create my desired categories on the Z22 and then beam over the
    individual categories. So I lost all my catagories and don't want to
    manually edit 100's of entries.

    So I think I'd like to just start over but I'm not sure of the best way
    to do that. By start over I mean delete all the data in the contacts on
    the Z22.

    I need to mention that my old IIIx was hotsynced on an old PC with a
    serial port. The new Z22 will be hotsynced to a different PC with USB.
    I have NOT done a hotsync since having beamed all the data to the Z22.

    Is there an easy way to delete all these entries and start over? Am I
    on the right track by planning to precreate the categories before my
    next beam session?

    BTW, "select all" in Contacts didn't highlight all the entries like I
    thought it might.

    Thanks in advance for any tips.

    Bob

  2. Re: want to "undo" data beamed to new Palm

    It is alleged that BobC claimed:

    > I just got my new Z22 and beamed over my old address/contact data from
    > my old Palm IIIx.
    >
    > But, not really knowing what I was doing, I beamed "all" and everything
    > ended up as "unfiled". I guess what I should have done was to manually
    > create my desired categories on the Z22 and then beam over the
    > individual categories. So I lost all my catagories and don't want to
    > manually edit 100's of entries.
    >
    > So I think I'd like to just start over but I'm not sure of the best way
    > to do that. By start over I mean delete all the data in the contacts on
    > the Z22.

    Did you install anything else yet, or just PIM data?

    The easiest way to wipe your data is to do a hard reset/wipe data and
    start over.

    Then beam one category at a time.

    > Is there an easy way to delete all these entries and start over? Am I
    > on the right track by planning to precreate the categories before my
    > next beam session?

    Probably won't hurt.

    Alternately, can you transfer your data from the old computer to the
    new computer (LAN, CRD, etc)? If so, then the best way to do this is
    to transfer your desktop data over and then do your handheld upgrade as
    if you were just upgrading the handheld.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "I was getting dressed this morning, for a second, I couldn't remember
    which I did first. I started thinking about it: does everybody do it
    the same way? Is it a left-handed, right-handed thing?" (Mr.
    Garibaldi, B5 "Babylon Squared")

  3. Re: want to "undo" data beamed to new Palm

    I cannot comment on whether predefining the categories will help but:

    - you could hotsync after setting the contacts conduit so that "desktop
    overwrites pda" - which I THINK would delete all the entries on the
    pda, or
    - there was a free utility around that would zap any individual palm
    database. I'll see if I can find it - but you might try some google
    searches.

    Good luck
    Dan

    BobC wrote:
    > I just got my new Z22 and beamed over my old address/contact data from
    > my old Palm IIIx.
    >
    > But, not really knowing what I was doing, I beamed "all" and everything
    > ended up as "unfiled". I guess what I should have done was to manually
    > create my desired categories on the Z22 and then beam over the
    > individual categories. So I lost all my catagories and don't want to
    > manually edit 100's of entries.
    >
    > So I think I'd like to just start over but I'm not sure of the best way
    > to do that. By start over I mean delete all the data in the contacts on
    > the Z22.
    >
    > I need to mention that my old IIIx was hotsynced on an old PC with a
    > serial port. The new Z22 will be hotsynced to a different PC with USB.
    > I have NOT done a hotsync since having beamed all the data to the Z22.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to delete all these entries and start over? Am I
    > on the right track by planning to precreate the categories before my
    > next beam session?
    >
    > BTW, "select all" in Contacts didn't highlight all the entries like I
    > thought it might.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.
    >
    > Bob

  4. Re: want to "undo" data beamed to new Palm - DONE!!

    BobC wrote:

    > So I think I'd like to just start over but I'm not sure of the best way
    > to do that. By start over I mean delete all the data in the contacts on
    > the Z22.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any tips.

    Palm Types -

    Thanks for all your help on this. I managed to do everything I wanted.
    I let the hot sync on my virgin PC overwrite all the address info in
    the Z22 (and since there was nothing on the PC it cleared out the Z22).

    I had not noticed that the beam process asked the receiver what
    category to assign the incoming data to. Since I precreated the
    categories I was able to select the proper one easily (rather than
    having to create it on the spot.)

    I am getting used to Graffiti2 and really like the bright display on
    the Z22 vs. the monochrome one on my old IIIx.

    Thanks again for your help!

    Bob

+ Reply to Thread