Something better than Palm Desktop 4.1.4 - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Something better than Palm Desktop 4.1.4 - Palmtop ; Hello, I know there are a couple of PIMs out there - none that I've seen closely works to how I'd expect a PIM to work after such a long time of (possible) development. Agendus is nice as are a ...

  1. Something better than Palm Desktop 4.1.4

    Hello,

    I know there are a couple of PIMs out there - none that I've seen
    closely works to how I'd expect a PIM to work after such a long time of
    (possible) development. Agendus is nice as are a few others (I'll
    refrain from commenting on Outlook for the obvious flame war it might
    produce).

    Has Palm in all these years produced something newer/better than Palm
    Desktop 4.1.4 (a friend of mine recently got a E2, which had 4.1.4
    included)? Problem being here, that even that version has a lot of
    bugs, missing features and limitations (e.g.: categories are limited to
    what, 8?).

    I guess what I'm looking for would be something close to a mixture of
    Palm Desktop and Agendus. Possibly free. Linux version would be very
    nice, thank you. ;-)

    Any and all recommendations welcome!

    Thomas

  2. Re: Something better than Palm Desktop 4.1.4

    In article <1159085594.001880.74990@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.co m>,
    "Thomas Tschoellitsch" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I know there are a couple of PIMs out there - none that I've seen
    > closely works to how I'd expect a PIM to work after such a long time of
    > (possible) development. Agendus is nice as are a few others (I'll
    > refrain from commenting on Outlook for the obvious flame war it might
    > produce).
    >
    > Has Palm in all these years produced something newer/better than Palm
    > Desktop 4.1.4 (a friend of mine recently got a E2, which had 4.1.4
    > included)? Problem being here, that even that version has a lot of
    > bugs, missing features and limitations (e.g.: categories are limited to
    > what, 8?).
    >
    > I guess what I'm looking for would be something close to a mixture of
    > Palm Desktop and Agendus. Possibly free. Linux version would be very
    > nice, thank you. ;-)
    >
    > Any and all recommendations welcome!

    If you are a Mac user, there's always Apple's built-in iCal and Address
    Book. I use the Missing Space software to sync my PDA with my Mac.
    Missing Sync includes some other features such as memo support and it
    works very nicely.

  3. Re: Something better than Palm Desktop 4.1.4

    It is alleged that Thomas Tschoellitsch claimed:

    > I know there are a couple of PIMs out there - none that I've seen
    > closely works to how I'd expect a PIM to work after such a long time of
    > (possible) development. Agendus is nice as are a few others (I'll
    > refrain from commenting on Outlook for the obvious flame war it might
    > produce).

    Well, I happen to like Outlook as my PIM. I know there may very well
    be better ones out there, but I have my reasons for liking it for this
    purpose. This is the ONLY thing I use it for, btw. There are no
    servers of any kind configured in it.

    > Has Palm in all these years produced something newer/better than Palm
    > Desktop 4.1.4 (a friend of mine recently got a E2, which had 4.1.4

    If they did, it would be included with their PDAs or available on their
    web site. Since it isn't, the answer is "no".

    > included)? Problem being here, that even that version has a lot of
    > bugs, missing features and limitations (e.g.: categories are limited to
    > what, 8?).

    15. Same as the PDA. And that is why. Palm Desktop is designed to
    mimic the PIM apps and capabilities on the desktop. It really doesn't
    make any sense to design the desktop software with features not
    available on the handheld, since it's a "value-added" function to begin
    with.

    It's not a desktop PIM that includes a PDA, it's a PDA that includes a
    desktop PIM.

    > I guess what I'm looking for would be something close to a mixture of
    > Palm Desktop and Agendus. Possibly free. Linux version would be very
    > nice, thank you. ;-)

    I can't stand Agendus. I'm a DateBk user, thankyouverymuch. (Talk
    about a potential for a flamewar... I bet you use emacs, too... )

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #66.
    My security keypad will actually be a fingerprint scanner. Anyone who
    watches someone press a sequence of buttons or dusts the pad for
    fingerprints then subsequently tries to enter by repeating that
    sequence will trigger the alarm system.

+ Reply to Thread