Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless - Palmtop ; Anyone have an idea how many Palm Pilots (percentage) are being sold these days with wireless built into them? It seems most of them now are combined with smartphones. Do you think we are not that far off when every ...

  1. Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    Anyone have an idea how many Palm Pilots (percentage) are being sold
    these days with wireless built into them?

    It seems most of them now are combined with smartphones.

    Do you think we are not that far off when every phone will have PDA
    capabilities and every PDA will also serve as a phone?

    Your thoughts appreciated.

    Randay.

  2. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    In article <1158862301.197843.203340@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    rn_gardner@hotmail.com says...
    > Anyone have an idea how many Palm Pilots (percentage) are being sold
    > these days with wireless built into them?
    >
    > It seems most of them now are combined with smartphones.
    >
    > Do you think we are not that far off when every phone will have PDA
    > capabilities and every PDA will also serve as a phone?

    It might be, but I hope it doesn't - sometimes it's useful to be able to
    separate the functions. Also, the more functions you pour into
    something, the more likely something will go >tilt<.

    --
    Kay Shapero
    http://www.kayshapero.net

  3. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    On 21 Sep 2006 11:11:41 -0700, Richard wrote:

    > Do you think we are not that far off when every phone will have PDA
    > capabilities and every PDA will also serve as a phone?

    My current and previous cell phones could both be synced with Outlook to
    copy contacts and calendar. The *primary* PDA functions are already on cell
    phones - with the exception that the only thing synced is often phone
    numbers and email addresses - no physical contact information.

    So, no. I don't htink we're all that far off.

    There will always be a market for PDAs that aren't cell phones, however.
    It's just an ever-decreasing share of the market and thus not necessarily
    profitable. I'm thinking of people I know who work in places where cell
    phones are not allowed, but who can have PDAs.

    Personally, I prefer my PDA and cell phone to be separate. While I've seen
    phones I'd covet and PDAs I'd want, I've yet to see a smart phone that
    interests me enough to consider it. But that's me, and I know I'm on the
    losing end of this deal.

    But if Palm ever releases a Treo with virtual graffiti and without a thumb
    board....

    --
    Derek

    "Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another." --
    Ambrose Bierce ("The Devil's Dictionary")

  4. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    In article <1158862301.197843.203340@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Richard says...

    > Anyone have an idea how many Palm Pilots (percentage) are being sold
    > these days with wireless built into them?
    >
    > It seems most of them now are combined with smartphones.
    >
    > Do you think we are not that far off when every phone will have PDA
    > capabilities and every PDA will also serve as a phone?
    >
    > Your thoughts appreciated.
    >
    > Randay.

    IR is wireless, all palms sold since the Pro (1996?) have been wireless.
    Or are you talking about another definition of wireless?

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  5. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:29:17 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:

    > IR is wireless, all palms sold since the Pro (1996?) have been wireless.
    > Or are you talking about another definition of wireless?

    Do you mean "all palms after..." or "all palms including..."?

    I'm asking because the Pro didn't have IR unless you bought the upgrade
    card. The III was the first to ship with IR.

    --
    Derek

    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important
    than any one thing." -- Abraham Lincoln

  6. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    In article <1sy1v6h8lmth8.dlg@gwinn.us>, Derek says...

    > On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:29:17 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:
    >
    > > IR is wireless, all palms sold since the Pro (1996?) have been wireless.
    > > Or are you talking about another definition of wireless?

    > Do you mean "all palms after..." or "all palms including..."?
    >
    > I'm asking because the Pro didn't have IR unless you bought the upgrade
    > card. The III was the first to ship with IR.

    I was just trying to find out what he meant by "wireless".

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  7. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    "Richard" wrote:

    >Do you think we are not that far off when every phone will have PDA
    >capabilities and every PDA will also serve as a phone?

    We are not very far off from the day when the separate 'classic' Palm is as
    extinct as my Atari 400. At least judging from the store sales. Where all my
    local electronic stores used to sport many Palm models, now most have only one,
    and many none at all. A big change from just a few years ago.

    Also reading these newsgroups tells the story. Traffic is half or less of what
    it was just a few years ago, and much of that concerns the phones, not the
    classic PDAs. Few are buying the classic models, thus few have questions.

    And while I am looking at my crystal balls, I'll predict that the Palm phone is
    dead as well. It just doesn't know it yet. The competition is coming out with
    similar capabilities in a smaller package at half the price. The market will of
    course decide, but I think it will be ugly.

    So to answer your question, yes every phone someday will likely have PDA
    capabilities similar to what your Palm does today, it just won't be a Palm...

  8. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    AaronJ writes:

    > So to answer your question, yes every phone someday will likely have PDA
    > capabilities similar to what your Palm does today, it just won't be a Palm...

    Whilst I can see things are going that way, my phone has many of the functions
    traditionally associated with a PDA, I still prefer having them as separate
    units.

    The screen on the phone is too small for most palm functions, and I would not
    like my phone to be the size of my T2 in order to accomodate a usable screen,
    the T2 is too big to fit comfortably in my pocket when I go to the pub.

    My phone has however taken over as my main mp3 player though.

    Phil

  9. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 02:02:02 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:

    > In article <1sy1v6h8lmth8.dlg@gwinn.us>, Derek says...
    >
    >> On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 22:29:17 GMT, Jim Anderson wrote:
    >>
    >>> IR is wireless, all palms sold since the Pro (1996?) have been wireless.
    >>> Or are you talking about another definition of wireless?

    >> Do you mean "all palms after..." or "all palms including..."?
    >>
    >> I'm asking because the Pro didn't have IR unless you bought the upgrade
    >> card. The III was the first to ship with IR.

    > I was just trying to find out what he meant by "wireless".

    That was clear from your post. Apologies if you thought I missed it.

    I was just trying to find out if you considered the Pro part of the
    "wireless Palm" group.

    --
    Derek

    "It is often merely for an excuse that we say things are impossible." --
    Francois de La Rochefoucauld

  10. Re: Number of Palm Pilots sold now with wireless

    On 22 Sep 2006 10:00:20 +0100, Phil wrote:

    > My phone has however taken over as my main mp3 player though.

    I had hoped mine would do that, but as much as I love my Motorola, it
    stinks as an MP3 player.

    So I asked for an iPod for Father's day.
    --
    Derek

    The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly.

+ Reply to Thread