renaming apps and changing icons - Palmtop

This is a discussion on renaming apps and changing icons - Palmtop ; Hi, Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and also changing the programs icon? Thanks! --Randy Starkey...

  1. renaming apps and changing icons

    Hi,

    Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and also
    changing the programs icon?

    Thanks!

    --Randy Starkey

  2. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    "Randy Starkey" aszonygya:
    :Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and also
    :changing the programs icon?

    RsrcEdit. /PaulN

  3. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    On 2006-09-16, wrote:
    > Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and also
    > changing the programs icon?

    No, but there are some moderately complex ones that might. A program
    called RsrcEdit (for 68k palms) or Bird (for OS5 Palms) can do a lot of
    low-level editing of applications, including their icons and their names
    as well.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

  4. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    "Ray Ingles" wrote in message
    news:slrnegsvo0.3ah.sorceror@localhost.localdomain ...
    > On 2006-09-16, wrote:
    >> Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and
    >> also
    >> changing the programs icon?

    > No, but there are some moderately complex ones that might. A program
    > called RsrcEdit (for 68k palms) or Bird (for OS5 Palms) can do a lot of
    > low-level editing of applications, including their icons and their names
    > as well.
    >
    > --
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317
    >
    > "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

    OK. Thanks! I'll look for them. Do you guys know of any bad ramifications of
    doing this? Would it for instance mess up uninstallers, like RemoveIt?

    Thanks!

    --Randy Starkey

  5. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    On 2006-09-18, wrote:
    > OK. Thanks! I'll look for them. Do you guys know of any bad ramifications of
    > doing this? Would it for instance mess up uninstallers, like RemoveIt?

    *Probably* not. I'd think they'd work by database ID, which wouldn't be
    changed by that kind of editing.

    --
    Sincerely,

    Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

    "When only multibillion-dollar corporations can afford to hire the army
    of lawyers and CPAs required to comply with the tax laws, the only
    legal businesses will be multibillion-dollar corporations." - Tackhead

  6. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    In article <12gtmgrdnkvfu6c@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Randy Starkey" wrote:

    > "Ray Ingles" wrote in message
    > news:slrnegsvo0.3ah.sorceror@localhost.localdomain ...
    > > On 2006-09-16, wrote:
    > >> Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and
    > >> also
    > >> changing the programs icon?

    > > No, but there are some moderately complex ones that might. A program
    > > called RsrcEdit (for 68k palms) or Bird (for OS5 Palms) can do a lot of
    > > low-level editing of applications, including their icons and their names
    > > as well.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sincerely,
    > >
    > > Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317
    > >
    > > "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

    > OK. Thanks! I'll look for them. Do you guys know of any bad ramifications of
    > doing this? Would it for instance mess up uninstallers, like RemoveIt?

    Am I the only curious about why you want to do this?

  7. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    It is alleged that Randy Starkey claimed:

    > Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and also
    > changing the programs icon?

    Is it just the display you're trying to change, or the actual program?

    Several launchers have the ability to change the display name, and some
    of them the launcher icon too, within the launcher. ZLauncher is one
    such. This does not change the actual program, and if you exit the
    third party launcher, you'll get the apps' actual name and icon again.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #17. I shall arrange my personal
    affairs so that it doesn't matter if someone learns my secret identity.

  8. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    "Guy Bannis" wrote in message
    news:guy-A2FF4A.12442018092006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com ...
    > In article <12gtmgrdnkvfu6c@corp.supernews.com>,
    > "Randy Starkey" wrote:
    >
    > Am I the only curious about why you want to do this?

    Basically because I have some apps with non-intuitive names and strange
    icons. I'm on a Treo 650 and don't want to use a launcher. I know some
    launchers can fix this also.

    --Randy Starkey

  9. Re: renaming apps and changing icons

    Jeff,

    Right. I'm trying to avoid a launcher. I use ZLauncher on my T3 but this is
    my Treo 650 and I'd rather not use a launcher on that.

    --Randy

    "Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote in message
    news:0c1ug211jdkcu0b3r1s3a9g7odqoi7vifq@gordol.org ...
    > It is alleged that Randy Starkey claimed:
    >
    >> Is there a simple app to rename app names as displayed on screen, and
    >> also
    >> changing the programs icon?

    > Is it just the display you're trying to change, or the actual program?
    >
    > Several launchers have the ability to change the display name, and some
    > of them the launcher icon too, within the launcher. ZLauncher is one
    > such. This does not change the actual program, and if you exit the
    > third party launcher, you'll get the apps' actual name and icon again.
    >
    > --
    > Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
    > The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
    >
    > "If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #17. I shall arrange my personal
    > affairs so that it doesn't matter if someone learns my secret identity.

+ Reply to Thread