buying new Palm and want to xfer data ... - Palmtop

This is a discussion on buying new Palm and want to xfer data ... - Palmtop ; Gang - I am considering upgrading my Palm IIIx to something newer - like a Z22. But I'm unsure if I'll be able to transfer all my old data (address book) to my new handheld. My IIIx only has a ...

  1. buying new Palm and want to xfer data ...

    Gang -

    I am considering upgrading my Palm IIIx to something newer - like a
    Z22. But I'm unsure if I'll be able to transfer all my old data
    (address book) to my new handheld. My IIIx only has a serial port. I
    have an older laptop that I still use to hotsync for this unit. But my
    newer laptop has no serial port.

    All I can think of is installing my original IIIx software onto the new
    laptop and getting a serial to USB converter. Then I would guess that
    the new Palm might be able to load this data. Am I on the right track?

    Thanks.

    Bob

  2. Re: buying new Palm and want to xfer data ...

    "BobC" wrote in message
    news:1158424595.198996.163230@k70g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Gang -
    >
    > I am considering upgrading my Palm IIIx to something newer - like a
    > Z22. But I'm unsure if I'll be able to transfer all my old data
    > (address book) to my new handheld. My IIIx only has a serial port. I
    > have an older laptop that I still use to hotsync for this unit. But my
    > newer laptop has no serial port.
    >
    > All I can think of is installing my original IIIx software onto the new
    > laptop and getting a serial to USB converter. Then I would guess that
    > the new Palm might be able to load this data. Am I on the right track?

    You could get something like FileZ and beam the databases across. It won't
    be a quick process but it ought to work...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  3. Re: buying new Palm and want to xfer data ...

    BobC wrote:
    > Gang -
    >
    > I am considering upgrading my Palm IIIx to something newer - like a
    > Z22. But I'm unsure if I'll be able to transfer all my old data
    > (address book) to my new handheld. My IIIx only has a serial port. I
    > have an older laptop that I still use to hotsync for this unit. But my
    > newer laptop has no serial port.
    >
    > All I can think of is installing my original IIIx software onto the new
    > laptop and getting a serial to USB converter. Then I would guess that
    > the new Palm might be able to load this data. Am I on the right track?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Bob

    That would be one solution. Here are a couple of other ideas

    1. You might not have to install the original software as the new
    software may still support your IIIx.

    2. You could just move the directories from the old machine to the new
    install. this would handle the files but perhaps not the address book. I
    am not sure where it is stored on the pc but it is exportable I believe.

    Once you have all of the files moved or you sync your old unit on the
    new software you just give the new unit the same name and everything
    will transfer.

    Dale
    Dale

    --
    _ _ Dale DePriest
    /`) _ // http://users.cwnet.com/dalede

  4. Re: buying new Palm and want to xfer data ...

    DervMan wrote:
    > "BobC" wrote in message
    > news:1158424595.198996.163230@k70g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Gang -
    > >
    > > I am considering upgrading my Palm IIIx to something newer - like a
    > > Z22. But I'm unsure if I'll be able to transfer all my old data
    > > (address book) to my new handheld. My IIIx only has a serial port. I
    > > have an older laptop that I still use to hotsync for this unit. But my
    > > newer laptop has no serial port.
    > >
    > > All I can think of is installing my original IIIx software onto the new
    > > laptop and getting a serial to USB converter. Then I would guess that
    > > the new Palm might be able to load this data. Am I on the right track?

    > You could get something like FileZ and beam the databases across. It won't
    > be a quick process but it ought to work...

    I basically agree with what Dervman suggests. I would the following:

    1) Be SURE to make a complete backup of the entire folder on your old
    laptop that contains the Palm data for your old palm. Do this after
    making a final hotsync on the old laptop before attempting data
    transfer to the new palm. Just in case something goes wrong. Name the
    backup folder PALMIII or something.

    2) You should be able to directly beam most or all of your standard
    PIM data (calendar, address book, memos, etc) from your old Palm to
    your new Palm. I have had good luck with this technique during several
    Palm upgrades.

    3) It might help if you could transfer the laptop folder from 1) from
    the old laptop to the new laptop. This way you could easily install
    any files not beamable via 2) from the Backups sub-folder using hotsync
    on your new laptop. Place the desired files from the Backups
    sub-folder in the Files-to-Install sub-folder. Don't move all of the
    files. Only those that you *know* you want. This is essentially
    another way to accomplish what Dervman suggests.
    Good Luck.

    -Doug

  5. Re: buying new Palm and want to xfer data ...

    Dale, Doug, DervMan -

    I appreciate your tips on getting data into the new handheld. I like
    the suggestions!

    Thanks for taking the time to reply!

    Regards,

    Bob