Treo 700w vs. blackberry email - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Treo 700w vs. blackberry email - Palmtop ; Hi, Just got a treo 700w today to replace my Blackberry 7250. I use a POP3 web-based email account (onebox.com if that matters). I can send & receive emial, but it seems I have to manually check my onebox accpunt ...

  1. Treo 700w vs. blackberry email

    Hi,

    Just got a treo 700w today to replace my Blackberry 7250. I use a POP3
    web-based email account (onebox.com if that matters). I can send &
    receive emial, but it seems I have to manually check my onebox accpunt
    to see if I have new email.

    The thing I really liked about the Blackberry was that it would
    automatically "push" email notifications to the handheld, both from the
    user@vzw.blackberry.net site and my onebox account.

    Can this be done on the Treo? If so how? (please be fairly specific as
    I'm not as techsavvy at times as I should be.

    Thanks much!

    Borax

  2. Re: Treo 700w vs. blackberry email

    In article <1157846563.155604.214000@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    "Viewer" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Just got a treo 700w today to replace my Blackberry 7250. I use a POP3
    > web-based email account (onebox.com if that matters). I can send &
    > receive emial, but it seems I have to manually check my onebox accpunt
    > to see if I have new email.
    >
    > The thing I really liked about the Blackberry was that it would
    > automatically "push" email notifications to the handheld, both from the
    > user@vzw.blackberry.net site and my onebox account.
    >
    > Can this be done on the Treo? If so how? (please be fairly specific as
    > I'm not as techsavvy at times as I should be.
    >
    > Thanks much!
    >
    > Borax

    The handheld does no pushing. The RIM server does the pushing. So when
    your mail arrives at wherever, it goes through the RIM server which
    pushes it to your handheld.

    Without RIM software on your handheld, you can't receive the push.

    But RIM isn't the only one that makes push servers and software. You
    would need to check with your carrier to see if they offer an
    alternative.

  3. Re: Treo 700w vs. blackberry email

    Viewer wrote:
    > The thing I really liked about the Blackberry was that it would
    > automatically "push" email notifications to the handheld, both from the
    > user@vzw.blackberry.net site and my onebox account.

    I have a 700p, which I realize is 'a whole nuther animal'. But with
    VersaMail, the standard-issue e-mail software for it, one can set it to
    query for incoming mail periodically (as frequently as every 5-minutes
    if desired) and to issue an alert if new mail is received. Not exactly
    the same as 'push', but not too far from it. Perhaps there is a
    similar function in your e-mail software?

    Doug Hoffman

  4. Re: Treo 700w vs. blackberry email

    Guy Bannis wrote:
    > The handheld does no pushing.
    > The RIM server does the pushing.
    > So when your mail arrives at wherever,
    > it goes through the RIM server which
    > pushes it to your handheld.

    I recall reading that TREOs do SMS & that this "push" was available as a
    subscriber service whereby an email received on the service's system, it
    would send an SMS to the mobile. An app installed on the mobile which has
    registered with the OS to be notified of incoming SMS looks for tell-tale
    data and then alerts the user. If this DOESN'T exist, let me know & I will
    create it!
    --
    For God, family and republic!
    My plan to save the world:

  5. Re: Treo 700w vs. blackberry email

    In article ,
    Gregg Wood**** wrote:

    > Guy Bannis wrote:
    > > The handheld does no pushing.
    > > The RIM server does the pushing.
    > > So when your mail arrives at wherever,
    > > it goes through the RIM server which
    > > pushes it to your handheld.

    > I recall reading that TREOs do SMS & that this "push" was available as a
    > subscriber service whereby an email received on the service's system, it
    > would send an SMS to the mobile. An app installed on the mobile which has
    > registered with the OS to be notified of incoming SMS looks for tell-tale
    > data and then alerts the user. If this DOESN'T exist, let me know & I will
    > create it!

    Push email is indeed available as a subscriber service. That's why I
    recommended the original poster check with his carrier.

    What you describe sounds interesting. Good luck!

  6. Re: Treo 700w vs. blackberry email

    Try ChatterMail. Works great for me on my Treo 650.

    www.chatteremail.com

    "Guy Bannis" wrote in message
    news:guy-6A33A2.23160313092006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com ...
    > In article ,
    > Gregg Wood**** wrote:
    >
    >> Guy Bannis wrote:
    >> > The handheld does no pushing.
    >> > The RIM server does the pushing.
    >> > So when your mail arrives at wherever,
    >> > it goes through the RIM server which
    >> > pushes it to your handheld.

    >> I recall reading that TREOs do SMS & that this "push" was available as a
    >> subscriber service whereby an email received on the service's system, it
    >> would send an SMS to the mobile. An app installed on the mobile which
    >> has
    >> registered with the OS to be notified of incoming SMS looks for tell-tale
    >> data and then alerts the user. If this DOESN'T exist, let me know & I
    >> will
    >> create it!

    > Push email is indeed available as a subscriber service. That's why I
    > recommended the original poster check with his carrier.
    >
    > What you describe sounds interesting. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread