Best plain vanilla Palm? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Best plain vanilla Palm? - Palmtop ; I'm researching Palms for my wife, whose IIIc has finally died. She doesn't need wifi, a camera, an mp3 player, a voice recorder, or any other bells and whistles at all; she just wants something that will provide the basic ...

  1. Best plain vanilla Palm?

    I'm researching Palms for my wife, whose IIIc has finally died. She
    doesn't need wifi, a camera, an mp3 player, a voice recorder, or any
    other bells and whistles at all; she just wants something that will
    provide the basic functions - contacts, datebook, notes, tasks - that
    were provided on the IIIc. Two requirements, however, are an excellent
    screen and a genuinely useful and easy-to-use grafitti function. I've
    looked at the latest models on the Palm site, and it looks as though
    one must choose between a lower-end Z22, which has fewer bells and
    whistles but also a more basic screen, or a higher-end Tungsten E2 or
    Palm TX, both of which seem to have excellent screens but also a bunch
    of features that will never be used.
    My main question is this: Are there any other Palm models produced in
    the last two years - but still on the market and still supported by
    Palm - that provide just basic functionality, a terrific screen, and a
    useable Grafitti function?
    As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    Grafitti2?
    Thank you.

  2. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    wrote in message
    news:1157784761.131210.277830@b28g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > I'm researching Palms for my wife, whose IIIc has finally died. She
    > doesn't need wifi, a camera, an mp3 player, a voice recorder, or any
    > other bells and whistles at all; she just wants something that will
    > provide the basic functions - contacts, datebook, notes, tasks - that
    > were provided on the IIIc. Two requirements, however, are an excellent
    > screen and a genuinely useful and easy-to-use grafitti function.

    On-screen Graffiti may be useful then.

    > I've
    > looked at the latest models on the Palm site, and it looks as though
    > one must choose between a lower-end Z22, which has fewer bells and
    > whistles but also a more basic screen, or a higher-end Tungsten E2 or
    > Palm TX, both of which seem to have excellent screens but also a bunch
    > of features that will never be used.

    Yup. To be honest I'd go back a generation or two. I don't dislike the
    newer machines, but I merely prefer the older generation. I'm in the
    process of replacing my Tungsten T2 with a T3. I'd rather *not* upgrade but
    unfortunately my navigation software is just a _little_ bit too much for the
    T2...

    > My main question is this: Are there any other Palm models produced in
    > the last two years - but still on the market and still supported by
    > Palm - that provide just basic functionality, a terrific screen, and a
    > useable Grafitti function?
    > As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    > Grafitti2?

    Hmm. Tough one really. My issue with Graffiti 2 is that I picked up
    Graffiti 1 quickly, including a whole bunch of shortcuts and can write
    quickly. Graffiti 2 is closer to "proper" English characters but some
    examples take so much longer.

    An example is the "t" character, which requires either a left - right swipe
    then a top - bottom over it, or vice-versa (depending on your preferences).

    Issue, then, is when I finish one word and want to start the next with a
    "t," the wretched thing then puts a "t" at the end of the first word: "same
    time" becomes "sametime" heh.

    I tried G2 for around four months but reverted back to G1.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  3. G2 (was: Best plain vanilla Palm?)

    (stuff snipped)

    > Hmm. Tough one really. My issue with Graffiti 2 is that I picked up
    > Graffiti 1 quickly, including a whole bunch of shortcuts and can write
    > quickly. Graffiti 2 is closer to "proper" English characters but some
    > examples take so much longer.
    >
    > An example is the "t" character, which requires either a left - right
    > swipe then a top - bottom over it, or vice-versa (depending on your
    > preferences).
    >
    > Issue, then, is when I finish one word and want to start the next with a
    > "t," the wretched thing then puts a "t" at the end of the first word:
    > "same time" becomes "sametime" heh.
    >
    > I tried G2 for around four months but reverted back to G1.
    >
    > --
    > The DervMan
    > www.dervman.com

    I'd *love* to revert to G1. How do you do that? My T3 came with G2,
    obviously, and I've assumed that I was stuck with it.

    Alan

  4. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    DervMan wrote:
    > > As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    > > Grafitti2?

    > Hmm. Tough one really. My issue with Graffiti 2 is that I picked up
    > Graffiti 1 quickly, including a whole bunch of shortcuts and can write
    > quickly. Graffiti 2 is closer to "proper" English characters but some
    > examples take so much longer.
    >
    > An example is the "t" character, which requires either a left - right swipe
    > then a top - bottom over it, or vice-versa (depending on your preferences).
    >
    > Issue, then, is when I finish one word and want to start the next with a
    > "t," the wretched thing then puts a "t" at the end of the first word: "same
    > time" becomes "sametime" heh.
    >
    > I tried G2 for around four months but reverted back to G1.

    How about G-Yours? Tealscript, which I've used for years, allows for
    easily making Graffiti conform to *your* preference. I have customized
    Graffiti with TS and have certain strokes that I find to be very
    efficient (shorter, faster, easier stroke) with near 100% first-time
    recognition accuracy. If I find that Graffiti is somewhat consistently
    mis-reading a particular character, then I simply go into TS and modify
    that character's stroke such that it gets it right every time.

    Doug Hoffman

  5. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    wrote in message
    news:1157803779.834822.175190@i3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...

    > DervMan wrote:
    >> > As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    >> > Grafitti2?

    >> Hmm. Tough one really. My issue with Graffiti 2 is that I picked up
    >> Graffiti 1 quickly, including a whole bunch of shortcuts and can write
    >> quickly. Graffiti 2 is closer to "proper" English characters but some
    >> examples take so much longer.
    >>
    >> An example is the "t" character, which requires either a left - right
    >> swipe
    >> then a top - bottom over it, or vice-versa (depending on your
    >> preferences).
    >>
    >> Issue, then, is when I finish one word and want to start the next with a
    >> "t," the wretched thing then puts a "t" at the end of the first word:
    >> "same
    >> time" becomes "sametime" heh.
    >>
    >> I tried G2 for around four months but reverted back to G1.

    > How about G-Yours? Tealscript, which I've used for years, allows for
    > easily making Graffiti conform to *your* preference. I have customized
    > Graffiti with TS and have certain strokes that I find to be very
    > efficient (shorter, faster, easier stroke) with near 100% first-time
    > recognition accuracy. If I find that Graffiti is somewhat consistently
    > mis-reading a particular character, then I simply go into TS and modify
    > that character's stroke such that it gets it right every time.

    Yeah that could work, except these days I simply want to use my Palm without
    having to train it or tweak with it...

    So, yeah there's potential here, but, I'm too lazy for this sort of thing...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  6. Re: G2 (was: Best plain vanilla Palm?)

    "Alan Moffatt" wrote in message
    news:8ayMg.21199$a9.19327@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.u k...
    > (stuff snipped)
    >
    >> Hmm. Tough one really. My issue with Graffiti 2 is that I picked up
    >> Graffiti 1 quickly, including a whole bunch of shortcuts and can write
    >> quickly. Graffiti 2 is closer to "proper" English characters but some
    >> examples take so much longer.
    >>
    >> An example is the "t" character, which requires either a left - right
    >> swipe then a top - bottom over it, or vice-versa (depending on your
    >> preferences).
    >>
    >> Issue, then, is when I finish one word and want to start the next with a
    >> "t," the wretched thing then puts a "t" at the end of the first word:
    >> "same time" becomes "sametime" heh.
    >>
    >> I tried G2 for around four months but reverted back to G1.
    >>

    > I'd *love* to revert to G1. How do you do that? My T3 came with G2,
    > obviously, and I've assumed that I was stuck with it.

    Essentially, you need to copy the Graffiti 1 libraries to the device and
    give it a reset.

    Have a search on Google for "Graffiti 1," the process is the same for the T2
    and T3 but for newer devices, it doesn't work quite so well.

    My reason for going for a T3 is partially the performance aspect and also
    because I use a hardware keyboard and really want the Palm Universal
    Connector.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  7. Re: G2 (was: Best plain vanilla Palm?)

    In article <8ayMg.21199$a9.19327@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Alan
    Moffatt says...

    > (stuff snipped)
    >
    > > Hmm. Tough one really. My issue with Graffiti 2 is that I picked up
    > > Graffiti 1 quickly, including a whole bunch of shortcuts and can write
    > > quickly. Graffiti 2 is closer to "proper" English characters but some
    > > examples take so much longer.
    > >
    > > An example is the "t" character, which requires either a left - right
    > > swipe then a top - bottom over it, or vice-versa (depending on your
    > > preferences).
    > >
    > > Issue, then, is when I finish one word and want to start the next with a
    > > "t," the wretched thing then puts a "t" at the end of the first word:
    > > "same time" becomes "sametime" heh.
    > >
    > > I tried G2 for around four months but reverted back to G1.
    > >
    > > --
    > > The DervMan
    > > www.dervman.com

    > I'd *love* to revert to G1. How do you do that? My T3 came with G2,
    > obviously, and I've assumed that I was stuck with it.
    >
    > Alan

    PalmInfocenter.com Howto Replace Graffiti 2 with Original Graffiti

    --
    Jim Anderson
    ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

  8. Re: G2 (was: Best plain vanilla Palm?)

    "Jim Anderson" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1f6c92fa68d94a709896eb@news.frontiernet.n et...
    > In article <8ayMg.21199$a9.19327@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, Alan
    > Moffatt says...
    >
    >> (stuff snipped)
    >>
    >> > Hmm. Tough one really. My issue with Graffiti 2 is that I picked up
    >> > Graffiti 1 quickly, including a whole bunch of shortcuts and can write
    >> > quickly. Graffiti 2 is closer to "proper" English characters but some
    >> > examples take so much longer.
    >> >
    >> > An example is the "t" character, which requires either a left - right
    >> > swipe then a top - bottom over it, or vice-versa (depending on your
    >> > preferences).
    >> >
    >> > Issue, then, is when I finish one word and want to start the next with
    >> > "t," the wretched thing then puts a "t" at the end of the first word:
    >> > "same time" becomes "sametime" heh.
    >> >
    >> > I tried G2 for around four months but reverted back to G1.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > The DervMan
    >> > www.dervman.com

    >> I'd *love* to revert to G1. How do you do that? My T3 came with G2,
    >> obviously, and I've assumed that I was stuck with it.
    >>
    >> Alan
    >>

    > PalmInfocenter.com Howto Replace Graffiti 2 with Original Graffiti
    >
    > --
    > Jim Anderson
    > ( 8(|) To eMail me, just pull "my_finger"

    Thanks, guys

  9. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    In article <1157784761.131210.277830@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups. com>,
    syntheton@gmail.com wrote:

    > I'm researching Palms for my wife, whose IIIc has finally died. She
    > doesn't need wifi, a camera, an mp3 player, a voice recorder, or any
    > other bells and whistles at all; she just wants something that will
    > provide the basic functions - contacts, datebook, notes, tasks - that
    > were provided on the IIIc. Two requirements, however, are an excellent
    > screen and a genuinely useful and easy-to-use grafitti function. I've
    > looked at the latest models on the Palm site, and it looks as though
    > one must choose between a lower-end Z22, which has fewer bells and
    > whistles but also a more basic screen, or a higher-end Tungsten E2 or
    > Palm TX, both of which seem to have excellent screens but also a bunch
    > of features that will never be used.
    > My main question is this: Are there any other Palm models produced in
    > the last two years - but still on the market and still supported by
    > Palm - that provide just basic functionality, a terrific screen, and a
    > useable Grafitti function?
    > As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    > Grafitti2?
    > Thank you.

    You can check in the overstock sections of www.palm.com and
    www.overstock.com for slightly older models with a warranty.

    The Tungsten E should meet your needs.

    As for "genuinely easy to use Graffitti," that's a subjective matter. If
    your wife has never used Graffitti before, she might be fine with G2. In
    any case, there are third-party writing aids that she can add to any
    model, so it shouldn't affect your decision.

  10. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    syntheton@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm researching Palms for my wife, whose IIIc has finally died.

    That's too bad. The IIIc was my first Palm.

    > She
    > doesn't need wifi, a camera, an mp3 player, a voice recorder, or any
    > other bells and whistles at all; she just wants something that will
    > provide the basic functions - contacts, datebook, notes, tasks - that
    > were provided on the IIIc. Two requirements, however, are an excellent
    > screen and a genuinely useful and easy-to-use grafitti function.

    How about looking into the Tungsten C? I've had one for 3 years now and
    it's been rock solid. Plus the revert-to-Graffiti-1-thing that
    everyone's talking about, works great. Even if you *don't* use
    Graffiti, the T|C has a nice little thumb board. And there's built-in
    WiFi.

    > I've
    > looked at the latest models on the Palm site, and it looks as though
    > one must choose between a lower-end Z22, which has fewer bells and
    > whistles but also a more basic screen, or a higher-end Tungsten E2 or
    > Palm TX, both of which seem to have excellent screens but also a bunch
    > of features that will never be used.

    I have a T|X however I cannot really recommend it, at least for the
    Graffiti trouble I've had. Maybe it's the Palm-brand screen protector I
    use (I doubt it) but writing on it is cumbersome. I have similar
    trouble with my LifeDrive. I have lots of trouble with wrong letters
    coming out, and I never had problems before (Graffiti 1.) In contrast
    to that I've never had trouble with my T|C.

    > My main question is this: Are there any other Palm models produced in
    > the last two years - but still on the market and still supported by
    > Palm - that provide just basic functionality, a terrific screen, and a
    > useable Grafitti function?

    The Z22 is nice and compact, and basic in its functions. When I used it
    a few times in store, it actually reminded me of my old IIIc; the
    screen was pixelated and low-resolution like the IIIc was. It has no
    expansion; no SD card slot.

    I hear the T|X has its share of problems: Graffiti being flakey, the OS
    can be unstable, etc. Lots of talk on Palm-related forums.

    The LifeDrive is overkill for what your wife is looking for.

    I don't know anything about the E2. I haven't heard anything good or
    bad about it. Perhaps an E2 owner could chip in with their opinion?

    > As a sort of sidebar: why do so many people seem to really dislike
    > Grafitti2?

    It's harder to write letters now. I was able to input text very quickly
    with G1, but now that some letters require two strokes, there's more
    room for error. The whole thing seems to very flakey.

  11. Re: Best plain vanilla Palm?

    Per Onyx:
    >Maybe it's the Palm-brand screen protector I
    >use (I doubt it) but writing on it is cumbersome.

    I don't think it is. My TX continues to be *really* bad and I stopped using
    any sort of screen protector on the (admittedly questionable) rationale "The
    sooner this thing breaks, the sooner I'll get something that works better..."

    --
    PeteCresswell

+ Reply to Thread