T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo - Palmtop

This is a discussion on T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo - Palmtop ; What can a Treo do that a T3 + Wifi card + bluetooth phone cannot do? Or is it simply a 'one box' solution. My reason for asking is that I really like my T3 and I don't want to ...

  1. T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo

    What can a Treo do that a T3 + Wifi card + bluetooth phone cannot do? Or is
    it simply a 'one box' solution.
    My reason for asking is that I really like my T3 and I don't want to swap
    units if I don't have to. My uses would be mainly email with a little web
    browsing.
    Mick

  2. Re: T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo

    "Penster" wrote in message

    > What can a Treo do that a T3 + Wifi card + bluetooth phone cannot do? Or
    > is it simply a 'one box' solution.

    It's mostly the one box solution. One device to charge, one to lose, one to
    drop.

    The advantage of a unit with WiFi built in is that you don't lose the SD
    slot when you need WiFi.

    > My reason for asking is that I really like my T3 and I don't want to swap
    > units if I don't have to. My uses would be mainly email with a little web
    > browsing.

    Then I guess you don't have to... unless you need the SD card and Wireless.

    The T3 is still regarded as one of the finest devices Palm have made...

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  3. Re: T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo

    The onebox solution is the answer but don't give up your T3 combo yet.
    The quality of the Treos' is so bad you'll wish you never gave up your
    phone and T3.

    Penster wrote:

    > What can a Treo do that a T3 + Wifi card + bluetooth phone cannot do? Or is
    > it simply a 'one box' solution.
    > My reason for asking is that I really like my T3 and I don't want to swap
    > units if I don't have to. My uses would be mainly email with a little web
    > browsing.
    > Mick

  4. Re: T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo

    In article <%AfMg.7684$cx.4146@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>,
    "Penster" wrote:

    > What can a Treo do that a T3 + Wifi card + bluetooth phone cannot do? Or is
    > it simply a 'one box' solution.

    > My reason for asking is that I really like my T3 and I don't want to swap
    > units if I don't have to. My uses would be mainly email with a little web
    > browsing.

    If you like your T3, then why do you care what a Treo can do? I just got
    a Treo 700p a few days ago and I love it. Its an upgrade from an old
    Zire 72 that I have worn out, plus a replacement for a crappy Motorola
    cell phone. My cell service is through Verizon and my employer paid for
    my Treo and pays for my cell phone service, but I had to opt out of the
    Internet service at my employer's request because of the cost.

    So far, I am thrilled with my Treo. I have hardly even begun to utilize
    all its features. If your T3 is in need of replacement, just stop by any
    store that sells the Treo and check it out for yourself. Palm's web site
    also offers a lot of information on the Treo, so feel free to review
    that information to see if the features of a Treo (and the cost) would
    be beneficial to you.

  5. Re: T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo

    In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot Penster wrote:

    > What can a Treo do that a T3 + Wifi card + bluetooth phone cannot do? Or is
    > it simply a 'one box' solution.
    > My reason for asking is that I really like my T3 and I don't want to swap
    > units if I don't have to. My uses would be mainly email with a little web
    > browsing.
    > Mick

    I was given an older (600) Treo but am debating using it. I
    can't speak for the newest model, but this seems to be both half a Palm
    and half a phone, neither being what I would expect as "complete" in the
    features. On the Palm side you can't use graffiti (or shortcuts), I'm not
    even sure why they bothered including a touch screen and stylus. The UI
    navigation can be done almost completely through the buttons, but there
    is the odd occasion when you pull the stylus out because something is
    quicker with that and this is annoying. The phone part: There
    are a lot of missing features like the ability to set message
    confirmation on SMS (and many other GSM options). This is a GSM model
    and it is Cingular branded so it is possible that those dolts at
    Cingular disabled some of the menu items which should be available
    otherwise in a non-branded firmware.

    Two more things, if you like to carry your phone in your pocket
    like I do, the Treo, while not much bigger than some phones, is quite
    bulky once you add the antenna. There's also huge potential for that
    large screen to get damaged if you do that. For me, I think I'd stick
    with a separate smaller phone that can take some abuse and use your Palm
    via bluetooth for the other things.

  6. Re: T3/bluetooth phone vs Treo

    You have persuaded me. I will stick with a bluetooth phone with a small form
    factor and a T3.
    Mick
    "B. Wright" wrote in message

    > In alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot Penster wrote:
    >>

    >> What can a Treo do that a T3 + Wifi card + bluetooth phone cannot do? Or
    >> is
    >> it simply a 'one box' solution.
    >> My reason for asking is that I really like my T3 and I don't want to swap
    >> units if I don't have to. My uses would be mainly email with a little web
    >> browsing.
    >> Mick

    > I was given an older (600) Treo but am debating using it. I
    > can't speak for the newest model, but this seems to be both half a Palm
    > and half a phone, neither being what I would expect as "complete" in the
    > features. On the Palm side you can't use graffiti (or shortcuts), I'm not
    > even sure why they bothered including a touch screen and stylus. The UI
    > navigation can be done almost completely through the buttons, but there
    > is the odd occasion when you pull the stylus out because something is
    > quicker with that and this is annoying. The phone part: There
    > are a lot of missing features like the ability to set message
    > confirmation on SMS (and many other GSM options). This is a GSM model
    > and it is Cingular branded so it is possible that those dolts at
    > Cingular disabled some of the menu items which should be available
    > otherwise in a non-branded firmware.
    >
    > Two more things, if you like to carry your phone in your pocket
    > like I do, the Treo, while not much bigger than some phones, is quite
    > bulky once you add the antenna. There's also huge potential for that
    > large screen to get damaged if you do that. For me, I think I'd stick
    > with a separate smaller phone that can take some abuse and use your Palm
    > via bluetooth for the other things.

+ Reply to Thread