Word processing software for Palm TX - Palmtop

This is a discussion on Word processing software for Palm TX - Palmtop ; Which is the most versatile word processing software for Palm? Memo (or anything related to that) is too simple to satisfy my needs. I want a proper word processor. Wordsmith seems to make my TX crash. I have tried the ...

  1. Word processing software for Palm TX

    Which is the most versatile word processing software for Palm?

    Memo (or anything related to that) is too simple to satisfy my needs.
    I want a proper word processor.

    Wordsmith seems to make my TX crash. I have tried the trial version.
    Documents to Go is slow to start, is unstable and does not work with
    TextPlus.

    What else is there to choose from? Something that works like MS Pocket Word
    on Pocket PC - something that starts within 2-3 seconds, is reasonably
    stable and works well with the input system and the word completion
    software.

    Is that a possibility for Palm TX ?

    Thanks in advance for the information.

  2. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    I would still recommend Document to Go.

    The startup time might be reduced if you configure the software not to
    search for compatible files on startup.

    I've had no problems with it crashing (albeit on my T3), but sticking
    with the latest version available might help that situation.

    As far as textplus compatiblilty, it's specifically advertised as
    working with Documents to Go

    (http://www.smartcell.com/Web/pc-14-3...r-palm-os.aspx),

    so your problem there might be another issue with your configuration
    (just a guess).

    - Chris

    --
    (. .)
    =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

  3. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    Agreed, Documents To Go is my preferred word processor as well. I
    consider it very stable...dare I use the term "rock solid" in connection
    with any Palm application? At least it is on my T5. Its integration
    with the desktop is top notch. Handles many file formats...including
    being an excellent native .pdf viewer.

    I also used Quick Office some time ago, but it's been a number of years
    now, and not on the T5, so I can't really compare its current versions
    with DTG. I dunno, I just found myself using DTG for spreadsheets and
    Word documents more than Quick Office and I saw no need to keep both of
    them around, so I have regularly kept my DTG versions updated and
    dropped Quick Office.

    --
    Steve Kranz
    Homebrewer extraordinaire, banjo player mediocaire

  4. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    "Warren W" aszonygya:
    :Memo (or anything related to that) is too simple to satisfy my needs.

    What are your needs? /PaulN

  5. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    "Paul Nevai" glsD:edrrmu$4qo$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu...
    > "Warren W" aszonygya:
    > :Memo (or anything related to that) is too simple to satisfy my needs.
    >
    > What are your needs? /PaulN

    I need a proper word processor with some variation in layout and fonts.
    Something that works like MS Pocket Word on Pocket PC - something that
    starts within 2-3 seconds, is reasonably stable and works well with the
    input system and the word completion software.

    Why does DTG not work with Textplus?

  6. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    On 07 Sep 2006, Steve Kranz <"smkranz[at]adelphia.net"> wrote:

    > Agreed, Documents To Go is my preferred word processor as well. I
    > consider it very stable...dare I use the term "rock solid" in
    > connection with any Palm application? At least it is on my T5.
    > Its integration with the desktop is top notch. Handles many file
    > formats...including being an excellent native .pdf viewer.

    I'm sorry to have to say it, but my experience with DocsToGo on the TX
    has been quite different from yours on the T5. I've found it nearly
    unusable. Routinely crashes the system loading .doc files, even those
    installed with the desktop application. I have not yet been able to
    open any .doc attachment from Versamail with DocsToGo. I'm using the
    version that came preloaded on my TX, 7.006 (955). This may be part of
    the general instability of the TX, and have little to do with DocsToGo,
    but regardless, it's an enormous frustration.

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

  7. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    David Tiktin aszonygya:
    :On 07 Sep 2006, Steve Kranz <"smkranz[at]adelphia.net"> wrote:
    :
[...]

    Ditto. My happiest moment was when I discovered that DTG is not in the ROM so
    I quickly got rid of it. /PaulN

  8. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    "Warren W" aszonygya:
    :I need a proper word processor with some variation in layout and fonts.
    :Something that works like MS Pocket Word on Pocket PC - something that
    :starts within 2-3 seconds, is reasonably stable and works well with the
    :input system and the word completion software.

    I heard that the pay version of DTG is better than the freebie coming with
    the TX so you could give a try to it. /PaulN

  9. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    "Warren W" wrote in message

    > Which is the most versatile word processing software for Palm?
    >
    > Memo (or anything related to that) is too simple to satisfy my needs.
    > I want a proper word processor.
    >
    > Wordsmith seems to make my TX crash. I have tried the trial version.
    > Documents to Go is slow to start, is unstable and does not work with
    > TextPlus.
    >
    > What else is there to choose from? Something that works like MS Pocket
    > Word on Pocket PC - something that starts within 2-3 seconds, is
    > reasonably stable and works well with the input system and the word
    > completion software.
    >
    > Is that a possibility for Palm TX ?

    Yes, but, you seem to be having tremendous issues with DTG from the sounds
    of it... except it works fine for other people. Perhaps something else on
    the device is causing issues? My wife had terrible trouble with DTG on her
    T3 and I rebuilt the device only for it to work just grand...

    Personally, I do use DTG for some formatting but tend to stick to mass text
    entry using ZdocJ, a free, lightweight, fast text editor. I synchronise the
    text with my notebook and edit it on here.

    Or, actually heh, I use the standard PalmOS ToDo application.

    --
    The DervMan
    www.dervman.com

  10. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    David Tiktin wrote:

    >I'm sorry to have to say it, but my experience with DocsToGo on the TX
    >has been quite different from yours on the T5. I've found it nearly
    >unusable. Routinely crashes the system loading .doc files, even those

    I have a TX and DTG has never crashed. I did buy the upgrade. I have totaly given up on Wordsmith. They have not had any fixes in a long time and the big problem is NO GLOBAL SEARCH which they cannot or will not fix.
    --
    Gil W0MN Yanoff +, the PDA reader
    Creed en las obras y no en las palabras

  11. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    I'm another DTG user/fan. I've used it without problems on an m125,
    m130, TE, TE2, and now a 700p. The only complaint I've had in the past
    is the slow launch time, as others have mentioned. That is until now.
    With my 700p came DTG version 8.001 which launches almost instantly.
    Not sure if it is the fast processor of the 700p or the newer software
    version. Maybe both. However, I then bought DTG Premium and it was
    back to very slow launches. So slow that I removed DTG Premium and
    re-installed the "free" v 8.001. Very fast launches/performance except
    perhaps for PDF files.

    I have no idea why others are having problems with DTG. As has been
    suggested, I strongly suspect interference from some third-party sw.

    Doug Hoffman

    Steve Kranz wrote:
    > Agreed, Documents To Go is my preferred word processor as well. I
    > consider it very stable...dare I use the term "rock solid" in connection
    > with any Palm application? At least it is on my T5. Its integration
    > with the desktop is top notch. Handles many file formats...including
    > being an excellent native .pdf viewer.
    >
    > I also used Quick Office some time ago, but it's been a number of years
    > now, and not on the T5, so I can't really compare its current versions
    > with DTG. I dunno, I just found myself using DTG for spreadsheets and
    > Word documents more than Quick Office and I saw no need to keep both of
    > them around, so I have regularly kept my DTG versions updated and
    > dropped Quick Office.
    >
    > Chris McMahan wrote:
    > > I would still recommend Document to Go.
    > >
    > > The startup time might be reduced if you configure the software not to
    > > search for compatible files on startup.
    > >
    > > I've had no problems with it crashing (albeit on my T3), but sticking
    > > with the latest version available might help that situation.
    > >
    > > As far as textplus compatiblilty, it's specifically advertised as
    > > working with Documents to Go
    > >
    > > (http://www.smartcell.com/Web/pc-14-3...r-palm-os.aspx),
    > >
    > > so your problem there might be another issue with your configuration
    > > (just a guess).

  12. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    Hi,

    dhoffman@talkamerica.net wrote:
    > I'm another DTG user/fan. I've used it without problems on an m125,
    > m130, TE, TE2, and now a 700p. The only complaint I've had in the past
    > is the slow launch time, as others have mentioned. That is until now.
    > With my 700p came DTG version 8.001 which launches almost instantly.
    > Not sure if it is the fast processor of the 700p or the newer software
    > version. Maybe both. However, I then bought DTG Premium and it was
    > back to very slow launches. So slow that I removed DTG Premium and
    > re-installed the "free" v 8.001. Very fast launches/performance except
    > perhaps for PDF files.
    >
    > I have no idea why others are having problems with DTG. As has been
    > suggested, I strongly suspect interference from some third-party sw.
    >
    > Doug Hoffman

    I use DTG premium for a long time, and I am very happy with it. That
    said, DTG 9 is coming soon. I am enrolled in the beta program, but still
    have to install it (planned for this weekend) and test it. DTG9 will
    bring a lot of improvement with native files, according to Dataviz,
    actually I think that working with native files will become the default
    (as opposed to now, where the default is rather to convert the files to
    the DTG format, and the exception is working with native files).

    What I like with DTG is that they are really working on it, and when you
    have complains they do listen (I made good experiences with their support).

    HTH,
    Laurent
    --
    Laurent Bugnion, GalaSoft

  13. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    Warren W wrote:
    > Which is the most versatile word processing software for Palm?
    >
    > Memo (or anything related to that) is too simple to satisfy my needs.
    > I want a proper word processor. [snip] Something that works like MS Pocket Word
    > on Pocket PC - something that starts within 2-3 seconds, is reasonably
    > stable and works well with the input system and the word completion
    > software.

    FWIW: I do some rather heavy text editing on my Dana (runs a modified
    version of Palm), and after some trial and error, I found CardTXT to
    fit my needs: it reads/writes text files directly on the memory card.
    For serious work I use LaTeX (I'm an academic, so that works for me);
    however, for simpler stuff I stick to simple etx. There are a few Word
    macros out there to transform that simple markup back and forth to
    italics, etc. That way I even save the syncing part, if I use a card
    reader on my desktop.

    Cheers,

    Luis.

  14. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    It is alleged that Warren W claimed:

    > Which is the most versatile word processing software for Palm?
    >
    > Memo (or anything related to that) is too simple to satisfy my needs.
    > I want a proper word processor.
    >
    > Wordsmith seems to make my TX crash. I have tried the trial version.
    > Documents to Go is slow to start, is unstable and does not work with
    > TextPlus.
    >
    > What else is there to choose from? Something that works like MS Pocket Word
    > on Pocket PC - something that starts within 2-3 seconds, is reasonably
    > stable and works well with the input system and the word completion
    > software.

    There should be a version of Documents To Go on the CD that came with
    your Palm. MS Office compatible, and can use MS Office native formats
    when the docs are on the external storage. The conduit syncs your
    selected documents to the desktop.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    If I Am Ever the Sidekick... 5. I will coordinate all Heroic
    Struggle-related activities with the Hero. If I can't tell him what I'm
    doing, I probably shouldn't be doing it.

  15. Re: Word processing software for Palm TX

    On 08 Sep 2006, Gil Baron wrote:

    > David Tiktin wrote:
    >>
    >>I'm sorry to have to say it, but my experience with DocsToGo on
    >>the TX has been quite different from yours on the T5. I've found
    >>it nearly unusable. Routinely crashes the system loading .doc
    >>files, even those

    > I have a TX and DTG has never crashed. I did buy the upgrade. I
    > have totaly given up on Wordsmith. They have not had any fixes in
    > a long time and the big problem is NO GLOBAL SEARCH which they
    > cannot or will not fix.

    Gil, just curious, did you have problems with DocsToGo *before* you
    bought the upgrade? Also, could you say what version you upgraded to,
    the one that's working?

    Dave

    --
    D.a.v.i.d T.i.k.t.i.n
    t.i.k.t.i.n [at] a.d.v.a.n.c.e.d.r.e.l.a.y [dot] c.o.m

+ Reply to Thread