How to upgrade to OS 4.1 from Windows XP? - Palmtop

This is a discussion on How to upgrade to OS 4.1 from Windows XP? - Palmtop ; While it's possible to download the Palm OS 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade, it's not possible to install it since the install app blocks the upgrade when Windows XP is detected. It makes me wonder what Treo and OS 5.x customers ...

  1. How to upgrade to OS 4.1 from Windows XP?

    While it's possible to download the Palm OS 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade, it's not
    possible to install it since the install app blocks the upgrade when Windows
    XP is detected. It makes me wonder what Treo and OS 5.x customers face in a
    month or two when the new Windows is released.

    Have you heard of a workaround for this? I'm upgrading an m500.

  2. Re: How to upgrade to OS 4.1 from Windows XP?

    I was having the same problem and found this link this morning. It
    works and everything is fine.

    http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/3...m500-and-m505/

    free.teranews.com wrote:
    > While it's possible to download the Palm OS 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade, it's not
    > possible to install it since the install app blocks the upgrade when Windows
    > XP is detected. It makes me wonder what Treo and OS 5.x customers face in a
    > month or two when the new Windows is released.
    >
    > Have you heard of a workaround for this? I'm upgrading an m500.
    >

    > --

  3. Re: How to upgrade to OS 4.1 from Windows XP?

    That doesn't work. Your link leads to the normal upgrade which doesn't
    support Windows XP. I'm looking for a workaround that lets me upgrade the
    Palm m500 from OS 4.0 to 4.1 under Windows XP.

    "Teddy" wrote in message
    news:1158155501.174236.173860@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    >I was having the same problem and found this link this morning. It
    > works and everything is fine.
    >
    > http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/3...m500-and-m505/
    >

    > free.teranews.com wrote:
    >> While it's possible to download the Palm OS 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade, it's not
    >> possible to install it since the install app blocks the upgrade when
    >> Windows
    >> XP is detected. It makes me wonder what Treo and OS 5.x customers face
    >> in a
    >> month or two when the new Windows is released.
    >>
    >> Have you heard of a workaround for this? I'm upgrading an m500.
    >>

    >> --

  4. Re: How to upgrade to OS 4.1 from Windows XP?

    On 2006-09-13 10:50:00 -0500, "free.teranews.com"
    said:

    > That doesn't work. Your link leads to the normal upgrade which doesn't
    > support Windows XP. I'm looking for a workaround that lets me upgrade
    > the Palm m500 from OS 4.0 to 4.1 under Windows XP.

    I seem to remember running into this same problem several years ago
    when trying to do the same thing. There's an easy workaround - it just
    involves launching the updater in a different compatability mode. I
    forget exactly how to do this - I'm on a mac now, and it's been a
    while, but I believe you right click on the app, choose properties, and
    choose a different compatability mode - windows 2000 or 98 mode,
    perhaps. It'll work once you change this setting.

    > "Teddy" wrote in message
    > news:1158155501.174236.173860@e3g2000cwe.googlegro ups.com...
    >> I was having the same problem and found this link this morning. It
    >> works and everything is fine.
    >>
    >> http://www.palminfocenter.com/news/3...m500-and-m505/

    free.teranews.com

    >> wrote:
    >>> While it's possible to download the Palm OS 4.0 to 4.1 upgrade, it's not
    >>> possible to install it since the install app blocks the upgrade when Windows
    >>> XP is detected. It makes me wonder what Treo and OS 5.x customers face in a
    >>> month or two when the new Windows is released.
    >>>
    >>> Have you heard of a workaround for this? I'm upgrading an m500.
    >>>

    >>> --

    I only talk like that in the movies

+ Reply to Thread